PDA

View Full Version : Epic Songs

I Don't Need A Name
12-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Now we all know and love a good epic song
Some bands being better than others at it.
Rush, being awsome, with the likes of '2112' and 'Natural Science', or Queen with 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
and then you have the new age songs, such as Green Day's 'Jesus of Suberbia' and 'Homecoming', and My Chemical Romance's 'Welcome To The Black Parade'
The question is, what is your favourite epic song!?

Mine would be 2112, which i have already mentioned (favourite sections being The Temples Of Syrinx and Presentation)

snacks
12-05-2007, 07:18 PM
A song from your very signature!

"My Hero!"
Also: The Pretender is a pretty epic song, and the video is ftw.

Cz
12-05-2007, 07:52 PM
British Sea Power's Lately would be my choice. I mean, it sort of depends on what you mean by "epic", but I'd argue that no matter what your definition, Lately fits it perfectly. *nod*

I Don't Need A Name
12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
i think you miss the meaning of Epic Song
I mean songs which are synonymous for being in several parts/which tell a story
Songs like Rush and Green day songs are separated into sections telling a story, where as MCR and Queen arent separated, but have distinct sections within them

kudos for the Foo Fighters though :D

Bunny
12-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I am very fond of 2112. In fact, I love it so much I recently petitioned the governator of California for a wedding license. If granted, I plan to spend the rest of my life sipping fruity drinks and listening to it on repeat.

"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Inner_Turbulence_%28song%29) by Dream Theater. It differs from 2112 in structure in that it tells multiple stories over the course of several tracks but each individual story goes along with the same theme.

The following aren't epic along the same lines as 2112 or Six Degrees, but I find them to be equally worthy of praise because they follow the whole progressive story idea: Remedy Lane by Pain of Salvation, Into the Electric Castle by Ayreon, and Beethoven's Last Night by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. These are CDs though, not songs. So you can leave them out in the cold like helpless children if you want to be a horrible person.

charliepanayi
12-05-2007, 08:31 PM
The Decemberists are one band that springs to mind for telling great 'stories' in a song. The Island (off the Crane Wife, as well as the title track on that album) is divided into sections. And then there's The Mariner's Revenge Song on Picaresque. Guy who's been swallowed by a whale telling how he's spent his life seeking revenge on a man who ruined his family. Great stuff.

This thread could be extended to the ever-notorious 'concept album' too XD

Vermachtnis
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Stairway to Heaven is pretty epic, I think.

Pete for President
12-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #1 is my favourite, but pretty much their whole album Funeral is epic.

LunarWeaver
12-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Meat Loaf is the master of the epic song! Most of his are, so I can't just name a few.

NeoCracker
12-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Rhapsody has some pretty epic stuff, like Pride of the Tyrant and Dawn of Victory.

Also Kalemot - The Haunting (http://youtube.com/watch?v=3gxl8mo5EBQ) is good too. As is Ghost Opera.

Heath
12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Rhapsody has some pretty epic stuff, like Pride of the Tyrant and Dawn of Victory.

Not a fan of Rhapsody or even that genre of music, but Pride of the Tyrant is really epic. Except for one bit when it sounds like the lyrics go "We will fight to the end, Biro Seagulls" instead of "We will fly to the empire of Steel gods" or whatever.

I'll throw Hotel California and Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits) into the mix simply because I can.

rubah
12-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Do you mean epic song as in its arranged in an epic style like literary/musicalwise, or in that it gives you an epic air of pride and enthusiasm?

I dunno much about the former, but songs that make me feel like the latter are a lot of my 5-star itunes songs (elitest elites)

Examples: brave love galaxy express 999
olympic spirit
maria
duel of the fates
more than a feeling
open road song
ce soir
awesome god
A Long Time Ago
Salvation is Created
Carry On My Wayward Son
when You were Young
Metro

and that's 1/3-1/2 of my 5star songs xD

if you meant the other kind of epic, I'msorry then

snacks
12-05-2007, 11:54 PM
i think you miss the meaning of Epic Song
I mean songs which are synonymous for being in several parts/which tell a story
Songs like Rush and Green day songs are separated into sections telling a story, where as MCR and Queen arent separated, but have distinct sections within them

kudos for the Foo Fighters though :D

Oh ok, I think I get it.

At any rate, I guess Coheed and Cambria then.
Secrets of blah blah blah ( can't remember album names suddenly! ) is like a total tale and a half. And their music is really good.

Bunny
12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3?

snacks
12-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes that one.

Bunny
12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
You're welcome.

Captain Maxx Power
12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
This is actually Epic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsETamxkT9E)

Madame Adequate
12-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Thread has ONE correct answer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGWYmQ1iebI).

Bunny
12-06-2007, 12:47 AM
And that one isn't it.

Cookie
12-06-2007, 12:49 AM
"Your Mother's Got A Penis" by Goldie Lookin Chain.

Madame Adequate
12-06-2007, 12:53 AM
And that one isn't it.

Bun Bun, trolling only works when a claim is at least vaguely plausable. :3

Bunny
12-06-2007, 12:54 AM
And that one isn't it.

Or plausible, m i rite??

Tallulah
12-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Stairway to Heaven is pretty epic, I think.

Ohhhhh, yesss! :love:

Markus. D
12-06-2007, 02:37 AM
A little piece of heaven from the new A7X album.

White Raven
12-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Pink Floyd has a fair collection of "epic" songs such as Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Kinds), Echoes, Shine on you Crazy Diamond (all parts). As for Rush epic songs, I much prefer Xanadu over 2112, but that's just me.

El Bandito
12-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Radiohead - "Paranoid Android" is the best modern epic I can think of.

Oh, and my favorite is Don McLean's "American Pie". The sheer amount of symbolism is staggering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycgegp0KdE4).

Plus it's a perfect tribute to the Day the Music Died. If Buddy Holly didn't get on that plane, he would've been just as big as Elvis, Dylan, or Morrison.

Madame Adequate
12-06-2007, 03:53 AM
And that one isn't it.

Or plausible, m i rite??

You were, but I just called the dictionary and had them include plausable as a legitimate variant. :3

Rengori
12-06-2007, 04:38 AM
How is it that Coheed and Cambria is the only metal thing that has been mentioned in this thread at this point?

Wintersun, Opeth, Ensiferum, Chthonic, Gorgoroth, Emperor, Burzum, all epic bands with countless epic songs.

My favorites would be (prepare for a longish list)
Det Som En Gang Var - Burzum
Quasi Putrefication - Chthonic
The Drapery Falls - Opeth
When - Opeth
World to Win - Gorgoroth
Gorgoroth - Gorgoroth
Profetens Åpenbaring - Gorgoroth
With Strength I Burn - Emperor
I am the Black Wizards - Emperor
Veils - Ludicra
Battle Song - Ensiferum
Windrider - Ensiferum
Goblin's Dance - Ensiferum
Sword Dance - Ensiferum
Winter Madness - Wintersun
Beyond the Dark Sun - Wintersun
Carpathian Mystersies - Nokturnal Mortum

And lots others I can't be assed to list.

Bunny
12-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Dream Theater and Nightwish are all considered to be in the metal genre of music. Coheed and Cambria, however, is usually cited as being progressive rock. Check your facts.

Boney King
12-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Epic for me will forever be synonymous with The Mars Volta's "Cassandra Gemini". However, others I like are:

Norma Jean - Pretty Soon, I Don't Know What, But Something Is Going To Happen
Explosions In The Sky - all of "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place"
Protest The Hero - all of "Kezia"
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Radiohead - a back-to-back playing of "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" that I indulge in quite often </nerd>

escobert
12-06-2007, 05:06 AM
easily Nas Undying Love.

Rengori
12-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Dream Theater and Nightwish are all considered to be in the metal genre of music. Coheed and Cambria, however, is usually cited as being progressive rock. Check your facts.

Whoops, missed those.

Xander
12-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Liberi Fatali from FFVIII! I really like Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day so maybe I'd say that. I also love Paranoid Android but Exit Music is more epic to me, like when it really kicks in. mmhmm.

snacks
12-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Norma Jean - Pretty Soon, I Don't Know What, But Something Is Going To Happen

You are my new best friend, expect a mail-in form soon.
That whole album is pretty epic.

Pauten
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland

Momiji
12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Here ya go. This is as epic as it gets. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU)

Oh, and Bohemian Rhapsody pretty much owns the rest. November Rain by Guns n' Roses is a very close second. Alesana has some pretty epic songs too, no names in particular.

charliepanayi
12-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland

Good choice, what an album closer :)

silentenigma
12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Chocolate Girl by Animal Collective

Heath
12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
This is actually Epic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsETamxkT9E)

Considered posting that despite the name, actually. Also considered posting Rick Astley but I'm not that cruel.

Burtsplurt
12-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Sleep or Providence by Godspeed You! Black Emperor are both epic and awesome. 20 minutes+ and several movements.

Oh, and Only Skin by Joanna Newsom. The lyrics for that song span pages and pages.

Breine
12-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Other than the obvious (Bohemian Rhapsody) I sctually think that Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is pretty epic in a more subtle kind of way. I don't know if that made any sense?

Elly
12-09-2007, 04:39 AM
a good epic metal song that clocks in at 28:38 is "Achilles, Agony, And Ecstasy (In Eight Parts)" by Manowar... another good one is "Keeper of the Seven Keys" by Helloween clocking in at 13:38...

tailz
12-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I agree on the nightwish one

and I would like to add

the poet and the pendulum.

and I think both unforgiven and unforgiven 2 are pretty epic.

I'll post more ones I think of some.

Shine On...
12-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Chocolate Girl by Animal Collective
Oh man. You are my new favorite poster. I love the Animal Collective. So Unreal.

Sleep or Providence by Godspeed You! Black Emperor are both epic and awesome. 20 minutes+ and several movements.

Oh, and Only Skin by Joanna Newsom. The lyrics for that song span pages and pages.
I was just about to recommend the GY!BE songs. I love GY!BE. Anything by Do Make Say Think, Yndi Halda, And Explosions In The Sky, is also perfect for fulfilling your epic needs.

DK
12-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Everything Moonsorrow have ever recorded defines "epic music".

chionos
12-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Carry On My Wayward Son

yes

At any rate, I guess Coheed and Cambria then.
Secrets of blah blah blah ( can't remember album names suddenly! ) is like a total tale and a half. And their music is really good.

yes, epic band, I don't always like their music, but they're definately epic

Rush, being awsome, with the likes of '2112' and 'Natural Science' Mine would be 2112, which i have already mentioned (favourite sections being The Temples Of Syrinx and Presentation)

Yes, Rush is THE epic band. 2112, seeing as how it was written largely based on one of my favorite authors, Ayn Rand, gets my #1 vote.

Also, I think a lot of what Tool does is epic. Their albums could be listened to from beginning to end as one whole story, even though, like most bands, certain songs become popular and aren't ever listened to or discussed in context. Other similar bands: Zao, Norma Jean, and one of my favorite bands EVER: Queens of the Stone Age (Songs for the Deaf is freaking fantastic)

Fourth Estate: Kara Kum: Mirage, Ten Days Lost in the Sun, & Shadow of the Dune. Similar artist(instrumental rock/jazz): Joe Satriani

There are thousands of classical composers who wrote epics, but I assume we're discluding that genre of music.

Vincent, Thunder God
12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Dudes, Rush's 2112 is considered one of the least enjoyable epic prog rock songs by most, sure it's awesome, but if you want a really good epic song, start listening to more prog rock. There are a lot of epic songs hosted for free on this site, legally. I'll start you off with Yes' Close to the Edge, click this link for the playlist of it and their other major works. (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=105#)

If anyone enjoys it and wants some more, just PM me, I'll send you some more links.

Anyways, I love so many epic prog songs it's impossible to choose one. Right now I'm listening to Frank Zappa's the Grand Wazoo (Think it over), clocking in at about 21 minutes on the live version and 13 in the studio. Naturally I prefer the live version.

Shoeberto
12-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Meat Loaf's songs are so epic. I Would Do Anything For Love is amazing. Shame the rest of the album doesn't quite live up to it.

scrumpleberry
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
RADIO.BLOG.CLUB (http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/140297/stairway_to_heaven/01.%20Led%20Zeppelin%20-%20Stairway%20To%20Heaven)

Most of this radioblog playlist is pretty epic in the feeling sense, aside from a few semi-epic or plain unepic songs.

daggertrepe
12-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Um. Hey Jude. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Every Beatles song ever.

Light My Fire by the Doors is also very epic to me.