PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry problem

qwertysaur
12-08-2007, 07:01 AM
I can't get this problem, help please.

Hemoglobin is the protein that transports O<sub>2</sub> through the blood from the lungs to the rest of the body. In doing so, each molecule of hemoglobin combines with four molecules of O<sub>2</sub><sub></sub>. If 1.00 g of hemoglobin combines with 1.53 mL of O<sub>2</sub> at 37 ºC and 743 torr, what is the molar mass of hemoglobin?

Tavrobel
12-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Looks like an Ideal Gas Law problem. PV = nRT. If not, then this is something I've not seen before.

Break out the calculator, state your givens, and convert to standard SI units, first. That means that:
Temperature: 37 C --> 310.15 K
Volume: 1.53 mL --> .00153 L
Pressure: 733 torr --> .96447 atm (okay, so this isn't SI)

This leaves you with the Ideal Gas constant, and number of moles. Of course, you should know the Constant (.08206 [L*atm]/[K*mol]). Now, all you need is how many mol you have. Using standard conversion, take the number of grams of Hemoglobin (I assume they gave you the chemical compound, but if not, then it's only 1.0 g), and add that to how the mass of the oxygen (128 g, if I'm not mistaken).

Afterwards, you might have to derive the compound from the empirical formula, but you should know how to do that, too.

qwertysaur
12-10-2007, 03:52 AM
I get it now, thanks. :)