PDA

View Full Version : Terrifying toons

Woodinator
12-08-2007, 08:56 AM
So i was reminiscing on old cartoon movies today and remembered the Brave Little Toaster. My mom mentioned the fact that I used to be terrified of the air conditioner in that moving...and suddenly i remember being scared to death of that thing and always crying in terror during that part where he was like on fire and stuff

any little kids movies scare the crap out of you when you were younger (or even now)?

Araciel
12-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Lol@ Brave Little Toaster.

I don't remember any cartoons being scary, but I was probably afraid of something...To tell the truth, I barely remember anything before the age of ten.

Rengori
12-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I don't personally have one like that, but this girl I know saw "Killer Clowns from Outer Space" or something like that at a young age and has been scared of clowns since. xD

Shoeberto
12-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think it terrified me, per se, but Ursula in The Little Mermaid always put a sour taste in my mouth. I think it was because of all the yucky stuff that happened to her at the end during the wedding.

Disco Potato
12-08-2007, 11:10 AM
The queen in "Snow White", the part in "We're Back" where the dinosaurs were "evil" (or something like that) for a bit, and pretty much all of "The Pagemaster" scared me when I was little. I vaguely remember being scared by Ursula and something in The Brace Little Toaster too :p

Not a movie, but the Snow White ride at Disneyland still scares me :laughing:

ScottNUMBERS
12-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Back in the day I was scared I was going to go to hell after watching an episode of the Simpsons. That was until I realised Jesus was just a hobo making all that stuff up for attention.

Mr Cactuar
12-08-2007, 01:48 PM
'Will preach for food' :p

I used to be terrified of a movie called Mars Attacks. It was on cable one day and my nan wanted me to watch it so I did, thoroughly scaring the crap out of me in the process. Then 1-2 years later we rented it and I could only watch up to a certain point before I literally wet myself. I always had my bedsheets right up to my neck too.

But kids movies? Narh.

Aerith's Knight
12-08-2007, 02:43 PM
is chucky a movie for small children? .. cause it scared the crap out of me when i was but a wee lad.. :p

snacks
12-08-2007, 03:06 PM
brave little toaster was awesome ; ;
how could you be scared of it?

edit: *rereads post* ok, yeah that vacuum was scary but come on ITS A TOASTER

The Ceej
12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
You guys are making me want to rent The Brave Little Toaster. Unfortunately, only its sequel, The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Mars (Which I haven't seen) is available on DVD as far as I know.

Radio tubes.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space is:

A. Not a cartoon.
B. Not for kids.
And C. (and this is the most important one) Hilarious.

LunarWeaver
12-08-2007, 06:06 PM
There was this Winnie the Pooh dream-like sequence with a bunch of pink elephants or something and it made me piss myself.

snacks
12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I vote for a Brave Little Toaster skin for Eoff!

^_^

Cookie
12-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Moomins imho.

JerseyMage
12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Brave Little Toaster pwns

ReloadPsi
12-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Do the cutscenes from the Zelda games on the CD-i count for dinner?

Madame Adequate
12-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Castle in the Sky. Had more nightmares about that than anything else ever.

Roto13
12-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Things that were meant for kids never scared me when I was a kid, and I never watched anything that WASN'T meant for kids, so I'm fine thanks.

NeoTifa
12-08-2007, 07:11 PM
spirited away!!! omg its so freaky, yet cute at the same time

Miriel
12-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Lounge! *kick*

I LOVED the Brave Little Toaster. Loved. So very brave.

Alice in Wonderland really freaked me out when I watched it as a kid. That Cheshire cat is FREAKY.

Disco Potato
12-08-2007, 07:55 PM
There was this Winnie the Pooh dream-like sequence with a bunch of pink elephants or something and it made me piss myself.

Are you sure that was Winnie the Pooh? Because I remember a dream-like sequence (caused by drugs?) involving pink elephants in Dumbo.

Rengori
12-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Are you sure that was Winnie the Pooh? Because I remember a dream-like sequence (caused by drugs?) involving pink elephants in Dumbo.

I don't remember what that was from, but now I remember how much it scared me.

XxSephirothxX
12-08-2007, 08:28 PM

There was the Pooh heffalump dream and the Dumbo pink elephant dream, I believe. Both were fucking terrifying.

Also, I believe some scenes in All Dogs Go to Heaven frightened me. A movie about dogs being killed is disturbing enough, but then there was some sort of hell lava beast. Pretty dark for a kid movie really.

Roto13
12-08-2007, 08:54 PM
The drunken Dumbo scene was my favourite part. xP

MJN SEIFER
12-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Am, I really the only person who didn't find "The Brave Little Toaster scary at all?

LunarWeaver
12-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Oh yeah, maybe it was Dumbo :jess: I can't keep all my fears straight. It just runs together these days.

XxSephirothxX
12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
That wasn't me, that was Disco Potato. :p You very well may have seen the Pooh once, since it had the pink heffalumps, I believe, and I think it was creepier than Dumbo's.

rubah
12-09-2007, 08:22 PM
In the brave little toaster, the only thing that really scared me were 1) when the vacuum short circuited and went berserk 2) the appliances in the junk store 3) the appliances in Master's apartment 4) the car junk yard chase ;.;

(I'm afraid of monsters/machines chasing me, so the last one is understandable)

Hambone
12-09-2007, 08:24 PM
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/images/a-c/blt-06.jpg

He looks funny!

MJN SEIFER
12-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Oh yeah, maybe it was Dumbo :jess: I can't keep all my fears straight. It just runs together these days.

There is a similar scene in Winnie the Pooh.

Tallulah
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Watership Down. Bunnies dying. Hated it. :(

MJN SEIFER
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Seriously know - is there something wrong with me? Becuase I remember all of these scenes, and as a child I didn't find them scary at all. Some (like WD) were depressing, but not scary...

Proxy
12-10-2007, 03:38 AM
Well pokaroo scared the ever loving outta me...apparently
though that's not a movie, does it still count?

Woodinator
12-11-2007, 07:03 AM
http://www.platypuscomix.net/hollywood/toaster2.jpg

This is the scene i was referring to... it's like the appliance from hell O.o

All air-conditioners aside... I love that movie :D

rubah
12-11-2007, 07:10 AM
oh man, i forgot how much that scene scared me ;.;

I wonder if that's why I feel weird about window units to this day?

Rengori
12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks a lot Woody, now you've opened the gates.

escobert
12-11-2007, 07:23 AM
if it was sad in any way I refused to watch it. other than that nothing made me not watch a kids movie.

Ouch!
12-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Anyone care to explain what the freaking hell everyone is on about with this Brave Little Toaster movie?

MJN SEIFER
12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Anyone care to explain what the freaking hell everyone is on about with this Brave Little Toaster movie?

In my opinion nothing. It's not scary in the slightest.

No.78
12-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Fantasia

Polnareff
12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm throwing my hat in for The Brave Little Toaster too.

It was a little too emotionally scarring for me when I was really little because of certain scenes. That and the way some of those appliances acted was offputting to say the least.

I'll get tons of "WTFs?" for this but Ren & Stimpy scared the crap out of me when I was younger. I think it was more the creepy music and grotesquely ugly art style that scared me about that show, though. That and seeing that banned episode on a tape my friend had when I was younger.

;_;

MJN SEIFER
12-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Okay, guys how old where you when you saw the Toaster film? I was a bout four to seven and I was fine. Infact it was at a friends house and I liked it so much I asked for it. In my eyes there is nothing scary about it even the bits that could potentially be scary, like that stuff in the parts shop - but that's more of a horror parody I am going mad with all this... Why am I the only one?

Polnareff
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I was about in the same age range as you when I first saw it.

In any case, it doesn't seem right to jump on people because they found something scary that you didn't find scary. Heck, some people find stuff like Jell-O and cotton balls scary--do you jump on them for that? :p

As for what I was scared of in it, there was the part where the air conditioner went mad, the part where they all ended up in the appliance shop, the part where Kirby short circuited (and almost "died"), and I think I vaguely remember one of the appliances being struck by lightning or something which scared me utterly crapless. I don't remember as the last time I saw it I was about 10 or so (and wasn't as scared then of it). The animation and art style didn't help so much either.

Almost any cartoon with a kinda wobbly, dark-looking art style (while Brave Little Toaster was colorful at some points, it was downright dreary for most of the rest of the movie) and off-kilter music was prone to scaring me back then.

MJN SEIFER
12-11-2007, 07:53 PM
I was trying to "jump on" anyone. It's just I've seen people say it's sacry before (on IMDB) and never explain it to me. All the IMDB guys did was give a load of ageist coments.

But thank you for explaing it to me. I do understand your points - I will admit to the air conditioner thing being "shocking" which is the closest I'll get. Further more I was acting the way I was because I was wondering if I was the problem as I didn't get scared when by the looks of things I should have. You see guys this is what is scaring me. Is there something wrong with me?

Polnareff
12-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Nothing wrong with it, it's just that some people don't find some things scary like other people do or whatever. It doesn't make you weird, it just means you have a different idea of what's scary compared to other people. :)

In some way you should feel proud about not being scared by it, as I'd probably never wanna watch Brave Little Toaster again after how much it scared the crap out of me. Believe it or not, the topic starter bringing it up like that gave me the willies by itself!

I suppose I shouldn't have said you were trying to "jump" on anyone as I put it; I kinda read your initial post incorrectly. And yeah, I tend to ignore IMDB for anything other than looking up movie credits. A lot of those people there don't back up their reasoning very well, if at all.

Badge
12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Johnson and friends!

Come on the WATER BOTTLE HAD NO HANDS YET IT COULD PICK UP BALLS D=
YouTube - Johnson And Friends Intro Theme Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIdxNchIut8&feature=related)

MJN SEIFER
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Nothing wrong with it, it's just that some people don't find some things scary like other people do or whatever. It doesn't make you weird, it just means you have a different idea of what's scary compared to other people. :)

Thank you. I am really pleased your taking time to explain to me.

In some way you should feel proud about not being scared by it, as I'd probably never wanna watch Brave Little Toaster again after how much it scared the crap out of me. Believe it or not, the topic starter bringing it up like that gave me the willies by itself!

I see. Well, thank you for putting it to me like that, I feel quite good about myself now! By the way, this is slightly OT but I tend to be more disturbed by what I've read (not neccersarily scared) In other words I could see a really graphic death on TV and, I'm usually ok, but I go all shuddered when I read about them... Strange huh?

I suppose I shouldn't have said you were trying to "jump" on anyone as I put it; I kinda read your initial post incorrectly. And yeah, I tend to ignore IMDB for anything other than looking up movie credits. A lot of those people there don't back up their reasoning very well, if at all.

That's ok, many people have mistaken what I have said (though sometimes it was probably my fault aswell) but you actually took the time to read my explainations which very few have done. So it's fine. Agree on IMDB, infact for thoes who don't know, IMDB is usally a pretty good place in some places and bad in others - It's worst in my eyes is when you want to look at some of you're old child favourites - they'll be a lot of "Kids way 2 r3t@r3d3d 2 understand this seeen "(sic) type posts.

Johnson and friends!

Come on the WATER BOTTLE HAD NO HANDS YET IT COULD PICK UP BALLS D=
YouTube - Johnson And Friends Intro Theme Music

Not a toon. But yeah, thanks for the nostaliga - I used to watch that a lot. Golden years of TCC...