PDA

View Full Version : I Think FFVII...Is...Gone.

Hambone
12-09-2007, 09:08 PM
(No, I didn't lose my discs.)

I probably have a closer relationship with FFVII than any Final Fantasy or any other game out there. I remember vividly my experiences playing it as a very young child when it was first released. We were always at the beginning of the game because my brother couldn't figure out how to save and he could never beat the Scorpion boss so he had to beg our father to do it. I was very happy. I love this game.

But now,

I can't even play my beloved game anymore because my PS2 won't read the discs anymore. The game's not even being published anymore, and the mint ones that people sell usually go for well beyond $100. I'm not even sure that the PS3 I'm getting for Christmas will read it. I really wish they they would re-release the game in the U.S. I really don't feel like spending $200-250 just to play my favorite video game. It's not fair that I, or anyone else, should have to pay an exorbitant amount to play this game. For these reasons, I think Final Fantasy VII is slowly dying. I would be happy even with a remake if it meant I could continue playing Final Fantasy VII.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

ReloadPsi
12-09-2007, 09:14 PM
No because I have two copies, plus I look after my games.

Plus if all else fails you can emulate it; PSX ROMs aren't so hard to come by these days plus you own the original so it won't be illegal.

Hambone
12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
No because I have two copies, plus I look after my games.

Plus if all else fails you can emulate it; PSX ROMs aren't so hard to come by these days plus you own the original so it won't be illegal.

I look after mine too. The game discs don't really have any scratches on them. I think it's my PS2.

How do I emulate?

Heath
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
If it's the disc read error you're getting with your FFVII disc, then there are ways to fix that but they involve opening up the PS2 itself. Otherwise as Psi said, I think emulating is legal if you own the game, though I'll let someone with more experience in emulating explain about it to you.

Momiji
12-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, my brother's PS2 (actually mine, but he annexed the damn thing and didn't take care of it) does that same thing. MY PS2 still works fine though.

Just pick up an old PlayStation from your local secondhand shop or a friend. I bought my cousin's old PlayStation for $7.

Mr Cactuar
12-09-2007, 10:15 PM
FFVII sells for about $40-$60 AUD on ebay (Australian dollars). + postage.

Tallulah
12-09-2007, 10:40 PM
It does sound like the laser on your PS2 is dying, not your game. Pick up a second hand one from an electronics shop; that's what I did.

Though give your disc a good clean as well. If they are scratched, some of the damage may be repaired. I think Blockbuster do this thing where they send off scratched CDs, games and DVDs and get them re-coated. That may help.

Buy yeah, it is likely to be the machine. (bleddy PS2s... :mad: The PS1 was far more robust...)

Hambone
12-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Second hand PS2 or laser? Can I just send it to someone and get if fixed? What if I get a new slim PS2? Would that solve the problem?

CimminyCricket
12-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Mine are in horrible condition, comes with having a brother who is 8 years younger than you and no concept of taking care of things. The point is, they still work wonders.

XxSephirothxX
12-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Hardly a dire situations. There are all sorts of ways you could fix the problems.

If your discs are messed up:
1. Download PSX isos. Emulate on computer.
2. Download PSX isos. Emulate on PS2.
3. Download PC version.
4. Go to used game places/pawn shops to find it cheap.
5. Scour the internets to buy it cheap.

If your console is messed up:
1. Buy new PS2.
2. Buy used PS1.
3. Send in PS2 for repair.
4. Options 1 or 3 from above.

Spawn of Sephiroth
12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Second hand PS2 or laser? Can I just send it to someone and get if fixed? What if I get a new slim PS2? Would that solve the problem?

I have a slim PS2 and my copy of Final Fantasy 7 works perfect, along with all my old original Playstation games, so that would work.

Griff
12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Do what I've started doing since my PS2 started screwing up. Search PSXeven on google and find a place to download it (which is completely free). Once downloaded, open the file, put your game in the disk drive, and hit the play from CD button. Don't bother filling up your hard drive with ISO downloads.

Gennosuke
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I also have it twice and on the PC, my Playstation 2 is still going strong, strange though have you looked on Amazon for it(The Am erican version) you can get it new over here for about £15 or there abouts.

KoShiatar
12-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Emulation is a suitable choice if you have a computer with at least 256 MB RAM and a GeForce 2, which I'm sure you do. Since FF VII's 3D graphics are so simple, even with such an obsolete computer you will only experience slowdowns when you cast Knights Of The Round.

Welcome to the official ePSXe website (http://www.epsxe.com/)
Here you can find one of the best PSX emulators around, along with extensive instructions. They also have a forum if you have any problems. For BIOS and plugins just use Google. Just make sure you use 1.5.2, NOT 1.6. The latest version doesn't work really well on Final Fantasy games.

Hazzard
12-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll package it to you for Christmas. :wink:

cloud21zidane16
12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I never had these problems, theres loads of places where you can buy VII again, or get another PS2 dirt cheap

And VII will never die;)

Seal Evil
12-13-2007, 11:49 AM
My PS2 still reads the discs, but sometimes on disc 3, you can't see Cloud on the world map... so you don't really know where you're going, lol.

footem
12-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Ah just had a very lucky find on Saturday. FFVII in a junk shop in Portsmouth for £5- and in good condition too! I've just reached Mt Korel!

Jessweeee♪
12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
If you're getting a PS3 you might not have to replace your game n.n

Some of them don't play PS2 games, though o_o

hhr1dluv
12-18-2007, 12:26 AM
My PS2 had issues reading PSX games for a while, but I got the new slim one, and it reads them fine. Also, I couldn't change discs on the old PS2, because when you'd open the disc thing it would practically reset the system. Obviously, that was a big problem for any PSX generation Final Fantasy. Once again, however, the slim one solved that problem.

Seal Evil
12-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Ah just had a very lucky find on Saturday. FFVII in a junk shop in Portsmouth for £5- and in good condition too!
Ooh, that is a lucky find! :) Glad you found it. :D

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
02-14-2008, 10:34 AM
The PS3 has a lot of backwards compatibility problems with most PS1 and PS2 games. I haven't had any serious issues playing FF7 on my PS3, though. I noticed some sound effects change, but that's ok.

Roogle
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Many gamers find that they are having to turn to emulation to keep archival copies of their aging games. I anticipate that video game companies will attempt to cash in on this by offering emulation services of older games of their own; as you can see, Nintendo has gotten the ball rolling with its Virtual Console, but the legalities involved with some older titles can slow the process down.

Hambone
03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I got a PS3 for Christmas, so no more problems there. The sad part is, I've done everything on the game now. I even beat both weapons! I love my PS3.

Cloudane
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Assuming you do actually own the licensed game, I'm sure you could... you know... we're probably not allowed to spell it out on here even if it's legal for you personally.

That said, I've seen it brand new for a normal price quite recently... ok the original version is quite rare and expensive but you can still get Platinum, and the only difference is the jewel case label. This was the PAL version, but surely the American version must be more popular and thus widely available?

The barrier for me (affecting VIII and IX too) was my TV. I upgraded to an LCD, and although it works for PS2 games, PS1 games get this horrible flicker whether I use scart or composite or s-video or even RF. I was gutted. Emulators always sucked and didn't provide an authentic PS experience. The PC version sucked, too, and again... not the same experience.

Then I found pSX for Windows. An emulator that doesn't glitch, provides a real authentic experience (ok, flame and wind sounds aren't 100% perfect but they sounded weird in the original too.. it's just a different version of weird) and can even be fast forwarded. With a PSX-USB adapter added, I rejoiced once more :) If anything it's too authentic.... I'd honestly forgotten in the time I hadn't played it, how much the graphics had moved on since. I had to borrow a TV just to prove that the graphics really were that poor and that it wasn't the emulator!

Far better than that one with all the graphics plugins where you have to get all the correct settings etc. I don't even want the enhanced redrawn graphics from Pete's OpenGL or whatever it was, I wanted the original raggedy thing I grew up with :) pSX is just the ticket.

Rikushomegirl7
04-20-2008, 03:11 PM
T.T i have the exact same problem....*sniff sniff* i guess the only option would be to get a new PS2 now...or get the one i have fixed but i have no clue how to :S so many parts ...i could get a ps3 but i cant afford one TT_TT

Mercen-X
04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
I play mine on the slim as well. But the screen continuously fidgets up-and-down 1mm. It's slightly annoying until you... force yourself to get used to it. I suppose I could unpack my PS1 but I'm lazy and that seems like a lot of work just to play one game. I've also played it on different TV's so I know it's not my television that's the problem.

daggertrepe
04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
I know we can't find it anywhere around here...

DarkLord
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
It's possible it's not the game but the PS2, I had trouble getting mine to play any PS1 disc, and eventually PS2 games began to slow down. If that's the case here, it could be that your PS2 is on it's last legs... And I think we can all agree, that's preferable to FFVII dying, lol

Suvious
07-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Emulation:
Legal if you own both the original game & console

Buy a copy, I am for 20$

Cleric
07-19-2008, 03:53 AM
If it's the disc read error you're getting with your FFVII disc, then there are ways to fix that but they involve opening up the PS2 itself.

This happened to me a few years ago. A PS2 actually isn;t that hard to crack open, and basically what happened with mine is it was full of dust bunnies, and once I plucked them out of everything and the fan esp. it worked like a charm and still does to this day. Be warned though it voids your "warranty" but chances are your limited warranty has expired long ago anyhow