PDA

View Full Version : Contra 4

Ishin Ookami
12-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Okay, why isn't there already a thread on this awesome title. I just recently beat normal mode and the game is awesomely intense. It just feels like all the awesome old school contra's, except, new. Anyone else loving off this game, or is the typical contra difficulty scaring people off?

Cookie
12-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I didn't even know it was out tbh. It looks like something I'd buy and play, but it never had me gripped and waiting, probably why I didn't know it was out.

Karellen
12-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Never bothered with the Contra series. I can do without games that are frustratingly hard for the sake of it. I'm sure there are people who love that sort of thing but I just don't get it myself. It's not getting a PAL release anyway so I would have to import this if I wanted it.

The Shoeless Hobo
12-10-2007, 03:38 AM
I've got this game, it's pretty damn awesome. The farest that i've gotten is to the rockect, then i die... =[

Ishin Ookami
12-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Never bothered with the Contra series. I can do without games that are frustratingly hard for the sake of it. I'm sure there are people who love that sort of thing but I just don't get it myself. It's not getting a PAL release anyway so I would have to import this if I wanted it.

I wouldn't call the game frustratingly difficult as I would call it old school difficult. It's amusing how the manual makes fun of modern games and gamers by being so patronizing about Contra not being an RPG in the sense that you can't save every ten steps, or how the whole "one hit and you dead" bit being really tough, but it's just the way it is. Back in the day this was the common thing. You wanted to play a video game, you had to be good at it. It wasn't about being hardcore, it was just about having a modicum of skill and learning from your mistakes.

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. When you finally blow away the final boss, it's so satisfying. You met a challenge, and overcame it. You worked for that victory and you now have some serious bragging rights that games today just don't really provide.

Oh, and Shoeless hobo, bring a spread gun and/or a homing missile while on the rocket. That pretty much takes care of the missiles and then all you have to worry about is making those jumps from handle to handle. A laser and/or machine gun pretty much makes short work of missile hugger, just start at the top and drop a little bit every time punches and keep unloading, and he'll drop real quick. Even quicker if you have it powered up. which is what the konami code is there for. ;)

Karellen
12-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I get what they're trying to do with the difficulty. I just find it hard to get into games where I know that one wrong move will put me straight back to the beginning. I get kind of annoyed at how deplorably easy contemporary platformers like New Super Mario Bros are as well but I'm not a great fan of the polar opposite either.

As for the RPG analogy, I think they're kind of comparing apples with oranges but since it was obviously a joke they probably didn't mean it to be a serious comparison anyway.

Dreddz
12-10-2007, 02:52 PM
With any luck ill be able to get this game after Christmas.

The Shoeless Hobo
12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
You're all big girls. Contra's a real mans game.

Captain Maxx Power
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
You're all big girls. Contra's a real mans game.

This statement = truth.