PDA

View Full Version : The realization that one's metabolism is slowing down.

Chimp
12-10-2007, 02:40 AM
I am 18 now and I have begun to notice that I have a slight bit of fat on the bottom of my obliques, colloquially known as "love handles." While they are small to the point where they are irrelevant when compared to the six pack that is nestled on top of them, I fear that if I don't do something now more fat will continue to build up. I cannot allow this to happen.

This question is probably directed more at the older members:

Has anybody had a really fast metabolism as a (young) teen then suddenly notice new fat stores when you grew older? If so, did you do anything about it? Did you or did you not change your lifestyle in response to the new adipose tissue?

I will probably take up jogging. Might be very tough in the beginning seeing as I already work out, but it may be necessary if I want to fulfill my goal of not becoming a fat loser (or gainer OLOL WORD PLAY) when I grow up.

:cookie: :down:

Aerith's Knight
12-10-2007, 02:49 AM
you could just eat less :).. and if you really dont want to become fat.. i would under no circumstance stop working out if you have big muscles.. if you stop they will tranform directly into fat.. just thought id warn you

drotato
12-10-2007, 02:50 AM
Aww, I'm sorries. D:
"Love handles" are one of the most annoying things that could ever develop on your body. D:

~*~Celes~*~
12-10-2007, 02:51 AM
you could just eat less :).. and if you really dont want to become fat.. i would under no circumstance stop working out if you have big muscles.. if you stop they will tranform directly into fat.. just thought id warn you

Just to clarify, he didn't say he'd stop working out, he simply said he'd be jogging as well as working out :p

If jogging is too much, you could always buy a bicycle =] or run on a treadmill.

Jojee
12-10-2007, 02:53 AM
PG's gonna post and be like "Yeah that's exactly what happened to me I'm azn" or something :rolleyes2

After I hit teenager-hood-ness, my body started gathering a lot more fat. I'm still by no means fat but I was <i>hella skinny</i> as a kid.

Rye
12-10-2007, 03:33 AM
So like, I was an extremely twiggy and skinny kid who ate McDonalds every day without gaining and ounce and was tall for my age. The doctor said that based on my bone structure when I was a kid, I should be really tall (5'9" at least) and skinny, like a runway model.

Biggest irony ever, take notes Alanis:

Now I'm really short and chubby (imo, I dunno, 124-130ish pounds at 5'0" = a fat level that I cannot abide by for myself, considering my fantasy of being a cute tiny asian school girl with a bit of Italian blood, like Namie Amuro, I kind of disgust myself looking in the mirror?) and can't even look at food without gaining weight, which causes a good amount of self-consciousness, self-loathing and depression whenever I give my body a good look in the mirror or look down at my tummy and causes me to fish for compliments from my boyfriend every 5 minutes. Yay! :kaoclove:

*spews depression and insecurity all over EoFF*

Madame Adequate
12-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Man, fish is so yummy...

Rye
12-10-2007, 04:03 AM
Eating fish is disgusting and vile, just like the act of whining and QQing for compliments, and the people who do it. xD

Madame Adequate
12-10-2007, 04:03 AM
You could not be more incorrect if you asserted that Hitler was alive and well, in control of the international Jewry.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm a lucky bastard, like my dawg Michael. He's 21, I'm 22, we're both skinny bastards who do nothing but lie around playing videogames, drinking soda, and eating snacks. If there was justice, we'd be morbidly obese.

Aerith's Knight
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
if there was really justice, someone would shoot you in the leg :)

Markus. D
12-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Not yet to kick in for moi~

*does the high-motabalarshim dance*

Bunny
12-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm 6' and I weigh under 140 pounds. My typical dinner is 2-3 cheeseburgers and a 14 ounce porterhouse steak with a side salad doused heavily in rance and blue cheese dressing. I also like to eat cupcakes but the dozens.

NOM NOM NOM

edczxcvbnm
12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I use to be insanely skinny in high school. Now not so much. I am still skinny and stuff but I have put on some fat. It got to a certain point and then stopped so I am not concerned. I try to run occasionally but that is mainly when it is warmer out...which is it not now so I am not doing much.

I am trying to eat healthier in general though which is probably helping to keep the fat from becoming bigger and stuff :P

fire_of_avalon
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
The fat probably isn't so much from a change in metabolism but a change in diet/eating habits. That's the reason most college students gain the freshman 15 - because they eat more junk food. Your metabolism doesn't actually begin to slow down until you're in your 30s.

So what's changed about the way you eat?

Peegee
12-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah that's exactly what happened to me I'm azn

Your body's metabolism slows as you age, requiring more exercise just to maintain your physique of a teenager.

I used to have 8% body fat but only weighed 125 lbs -- so I was skinny. That's not a good thing btw.

Right now I stopped worrying about having 8% body fat and lift weights just to be strong. It apparently is the case that women are content with a man who is just muscular, but not muscular + abs.

Not to say that if I had 8% body fat at 160 lbs I wouldn't be a sex toy, but it's not mandatory to have it any more. Yay

Roogle
12-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I am 18 now and I have begun to notice that I have a slight bit of fat on the bottom of my obliques, colloquially known as "love handles." While they are small to the point where they are irrelevant when compared to the six pack that is nestled on top of them

Okay, Mister Perfect. Mary Sue. Gary Stu!

It sounds to me like you won't be able to keep up with the slowing of your metabolism. I'd say you're practically destined to lose what you have worked so hard for. What a shame.

escobert
12-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I can't gain weight.

Rye
12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm 6' and I weigh under 140 pounds. My typical dinner is 2-3 cheeseburgers and a 14 ounce porterhouse steak with a side salad doused heavily in rance and blue cheese dressing. I also like to eat cupcakes but the dozens.

NOM NOM NOM

Not fair, Bun Bun. :kaocry2:

snacks
12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
At 18 I weighed 232 pounds.
STEWFU CHIMP!

It's tough, there's alot of things I could do even just 2 years ago that I can't do now approaching my *ahemahem27ahemahem* birthday. But hey I've seen 40 year olds that look better then most 20-25 year olds so maybe there's hope for me left D:

Captain Maxx Power
12-10-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm getting fat almost exclusively around my abdomen, but that's due to inactivity and crappy foods. If I were going to the gym regularly that wouldn't be there.

Yeah, just exercise and don't eat so much. Not really any "wonder formulas".

Zeldy
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Ive always had a bit of chub, I detest it but I'm used to it. I did used to be really thin (like when I was 9) and I was about 5 or 6 stone, now I'm 8½/9 stone, eeehh D:

It makes me feel depressed when I read magazines and they're about celebrities going from a 'chubby 9 stone to a gorgeous 8 stone' and Im all SOZ FOR BEING FAT

Denmark
12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't gain weight, and I don't exercise. The result of this is that I stay 170 pounds (6'2" male lolz i'm healthy plzkthx) but I'm pretty out of shape xD

theundeadhero
12-10-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm 5'9" and at 18 I weighted 128 pounds. I also only ate half a cheeseburger and then two or three slices of pizza a day. Now I'm in my mid-twenties, eat one real meal a day and maybe some snacks, and weigh 155. I'm still the exact same size. I can wear the same clothes I wore back then.

edczxcvbnm
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks Undead Hero :D I feel so much better because I was 5'11" in high school and ate like you did but weighted like 125. Now I am 25 and eat 1 meal a day with some snacks and weight 135. That makes me feel better about the slight bit of fat that has crept up on me XD

Shauna
12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I was always a skinny little thing, but then when I got lazy and stopped doing so much activity, I started putting on weight. :( But, people always say "WHAT NO WAY" when I tell them my weight. But, I don't really mind if I'm a bit chubby. ^_^ It's not terribly high on my "NEED TO FIX" list. :p

NeoCracker
12-10-2007, 11:27 PM
1) I'm basically the same as bunny. I can eat a lot, and still not weigh much.

2) Rye, thats not Ironic. The doctor was just horribly wrong. Stupidity =/= Irony.

Madame Adequate
12-10-2007, 11:57 PM
2) Rye, thats not Ironic. The doctor was just horribly wrong. Stupidity =/= Irony.

Yeah but Alanis wasn't actually singing about anything ironic. :monster:

Stats: 6'3", 145 lbs.

Marshall Banana
12-11-2007, 02:29 AM
I would like to have some fat. =X

I'm 5'3, and I weigh about ninety-eight pounds? It's possible that I've gained a few pounds since June.

Rye
12-11-2007, 02:33 AM

No, the irony is that I was expected to be tall and skinny and beautiful like a super model by my family, and was asked to be a child model and stuff when I was young, and I ended up short and stout and icky. xD

Aerith's Knight
12-11-2007, 02:38 AM

No, the irony is that I was expected to be tall and skinny and beautiful like a super model by my family and I ended up short and stout. xD

they shouldnt complain.. you look pretty and your nice.. thats more then i can say for the bitch supermodels that walk around my college.. i like you better :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-11-2007, 03:12 AM
I'm 21 at the moment, almost 22, and my metabolism hasn't slowed down at any appreciable rate. However, I am also eating pretty well, and I get more exercise than I used to because I'm forced to walk around my college campus which, while not huge, isn't terribly small either.

Last year I moved into the dorms (I'd been living at home while I took classes at a Community College) and the quality of my food decreased pretty dramatically. This year, I'm living in an apartment and cook my own food, but I probably get about equal levels of exercise and I'm doing pretty well. I do eat some fairly fattening foods regularly (we have a grill we call the baconator, and Costco sells 4 meals worth of bacon for myself and my roomate for $10. Do the math) but in general I have a healthier and tastier diet than last year in the dorms. So I'm not sure which factors are the most important here, but I'm not experiencing any significant problems.

NeoCracker
12-11-2007, 04:33 AM

Isn't it Ironic, Don't you think?

No, the irony is that I was expected to be tall and skinny and beautiful like a super model by my family, and was asked to be a child model and stuff when I was young, and I ended up short and stout and icky. xD

And again, being wrong isn't Ironic.

So HAH!

Peegee
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
they shouldnt complain.. you look pretty and your nice.. thats more then i can say for the bitch supermodels that walk around my college.. i like you better :p

I don't like directly contradicting people's beliefs but having befriended attractive sorority girls I can assure you not all of them are bitchy.

I'm sure you don't mean to say all, but I'm against any sort of 'reverse' discrimination :P

Aerith's Knight
12-11-2007, 02:14 PM

I don't like directly contradicting people's beliefs but having befriended attractive sorority girls I can assure you not all of them are bitchy.

I'm sure you don't mean to say all, but I'm against any sort of 'reverse' discrimination :P

thats why i used personal experience.. so it only goes for my university :)

Chimp
12-14-2007, 02:47 AM
I think the weight I gained was actually from eating very very poorly due to a week of a very poor work (like paycheck work, not joules work) schedule. Waking up early to go to school, going to work directly after, and coming home late, just to repeat the process over again.

I was eating things like microwave dinners and cotton candy I made with the cotton candy machine that was put in the break room during national cotton candy day. I only got 15 minutes to eat my "dinner," too.

Now that my hell week is over, I have had a chance to eat better, get some more sleep and work out. I have already lost most of the weight I picked up. I started eating a protein bar and one of those yogurt smoothie frusion things during my 15 minute breaks for dinner, too. Seems to work out just fine.

D:

Vincent, Thunder God
12-14-2007, 02:59 AM
You could not be more incorrect if you asserted that Hitler was alive and well, in control of the international Jewry.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm a lucky bastard, like my dawg Michael. He's 21, I'm 22, we're both skinny bastards who do nothing but lie around playing videogames, drinking soda, and eating snacks. If there was justice, we'd be morbidly obese.

Doesn't matter, because internally you're just as unhealthy. Unless you do something soon, you'll have a few years cut off your life expectancy.

41-Inches-Wide
12-15-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm 5'1 and weigh 92lbs. But its because I don't have money to eat, nothing to digest. I feel sorry for my unused metabolism.

Madame Adequate
12-15-2007, 02:02 PM

Doesn't matter, because internally you're just as unhealthy. Unless you do something soon, you'll have a few years cut off your life expectancy.

OH TEH NOEZ!

Watch me as I completely fail to care. I look fine, and I'm not going to nonce around like a douchenozzle adding five or ten years I don't enjoy to my life. Short fun life > long unfun life.