PDA

View Full Version : 1up rates every Final Fantasy

Roto13
12-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Final Fantasy Retro Roundup from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3164719)

NeoCracker
12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I love the descriptions of VII and VIII.

I can understand the "Not Worth it" on FF IV NES with the new version on the GBA, but calling the GBA version "Not Worth IT"? WTF are they thinking?

And Super MArio RPG, that game kicked ass. Whats wrong with these people?

Raebus
12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I tip my hat at them for the FF7 description.

Other wise, I think they're talking out of their arse for most of them, especially ff9.

Roto13
12-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I like the FF VII description, too. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers Mystic Quest to be an insult because it assumed that Americans were too stupid to play real RPGs.

Raebus
12-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I agree with the Dirge of cerberus comment, too.

Bolivar
12-10-2007, 07:47 PM
This feature: "not worth it"

It's your standard internet-pseudo-intellectual-RPG drivel that thinks traditional RPG means having predefined character roles and throws out baseless generalizations that could be made about any game.

Vivisteiner
12-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Its just some random guys opinions. Who cares.

ReloadPsi
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
lol we hate ff we so original we so rebellious no1 haz eva dun dis b4

Wow, these guys are really pushing the envelope... is this some kind of bite back at what GameSpot did the Jeff Gerstmann at FF's expense or something? Pathetic.

leader of mortals
12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
KINGDOM HEARTS 2 NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

http://www.kidcrosswords.com/animated_dictionary/m_n_o/mad.gif

Roogle
12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I think that the review for Final Fantasy VII is ridiculous. It states all of the problems with the game and tells the reader to play it, regardless of its flaws, and generally clashes with the voice of the rest of the view.

I realize that Final Fantasy VII had an impact on gaming, but I think that other games in the series have had similar impacts and have aged and fared much better than this classic.

edczxcvbnm
12-10-2007, 10:52 PM
FFVII Snowboarding rules! I don't know what they are talking about.

I understand why they put in the Gameboy games but why Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Evermore and probably something else. Some of those games don't even have vague references to Final Fantasy.

Also, I like Mystic Quest. It is a fun game with good music. People hate on it too much because of the reasons behind why it was made. I like a lot about the game

Enemies on Screen
No random battles/simplified world map
On screen use of items(claw, axe and others)
Music
ect.

FFVII is a goddamn wreck of a game but it is fun above all else to a high degree. Oh the hours wasted playing that snowboard game in the Gold Saucer :D

Rostum
12-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Who am I to care what one person's view on games are? Honestly, I think whoever wrote those comments, are just looking for attention as none of it is an informative opinion.

Slothy
12-11-2007, 01:43 AM
I realize that Final Fantasy VII had an impact on gaming, but I think that other games in the series have had similar impacts and have aged and fared much better than this classic.

I disagree with the idea that any of the other games in the series had the same impact on the RPG genre and the game market as FFVII. FFVII is by no means my favourite game in the series, but anyone who denies that FF's first foray into the world of 3D didn't cause the explosion in the RPG genre, and countless "me too" titles that spawned in the wake of it's success was either:
a) not playing games at the time for whatever reason (too young, not into them, etc.)
or
b) living under a rock.

No RPG before it that I know of came close to FFVII's sales or popularity. Most importantly, it influenced every game that came after in terms of story telling and presentation. More importantly, it made the genre as popular as it was during the PSX days, and continues to be now. No game in the series since FFI had the global impact FFVII did, and none had as large an impact for better or for worse.

Nifleheim7
12-11-2007, 03:32 AM
I think that the review for Final Fantasy VII is ridiculous. It states all of the problems with the game and tells the reader to play it, regardless of its flaws, and generally clashes with the voice of the rest of the view.

Agree totally.
I think the reviewer wants to bash the game but he is affraid to do so,lol.
I don't think that anyone can take 1up seriously.

Roto13
12-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I like how people are so angry because not every single game got a "worth it" xP

Dreddz
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Whoever wrote this has done a very poor job. He has set out to be controversial to get the article more public attention. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but he has written everything like he is speaking on behalf of the people. He bashes FFVII endlessly but says its worth playing because of the experience. What? I also think its a pretty big headed thing to say that one of the most popular games of all time sucks. If the game sucks then how come so many people like it. What could he say to that.

Also, he says Kingdom Hearts II is not worth it ( I agree on by the way ) yet the site gave the game a perfect 10. 1up just isnt a credible site.

Slothy
12-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Also, he says Kingdom Hearts II is not worth it ( I agree on by the way ) yet the site gave the game a perfect 10. 1up just isnt a credible site.

Different editors have different takes on games. Since this man isn't the one who wrote the KHII review, this in no way makes the site less credible. It's simply two different people's takes on the same game. For that matter, the site features reviews of the game by four different editors from 1UP and EGM. Get over it.

Markus. D
12-12-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm glad of what they said about XI and X-2.

however, not so glad about the VIII, CC and a couple of others like SMRPG etc...

Aerith's Knight
12-12-2007, 01:41 AM
he even badmouthed FF7... screw him.. almost all FF are good.. just a couple that are a taste issue

Markus. D
12-12-2007, 03:17 AM
he even badmouthed FF7... screw him.. almost all FF are good.. just a couple that are a taste issue

He was pretty accurate with FFVII imho... but he was wrong about the Materia System.

Mirage
12-12-2007, 04:13 AM
These "reviews", or whatever he's trying to make them look like, are worthless. I find the reviews inconsistent and his reasoning illogical.

Rocket Edge
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
These "reviews", or whatever he's trying to make them look like, are worthless. I find the reviews inconsistent and his reasoning illogical.

edczxcvbnm
12-12-2007, 03:32 PM

He was pretty accurate with FFVII imho... but he was wrong about the Materia System.

No way. He could not have been more right about the materia system. It was a fun system that allowed for near endless possibilities but it was those possibilities that allowed for ultra cheap combinations that helped to make your characters practically invincible. The abuse the system allows is what makes it broken like the rest of the game.

Having said that, it is one of my favorite systems!

Laddy
12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Ridiculous. I agree wth a couple of things, but saying FFVII and FFVIII are crap is ridiculous. FF7 changed the gaming world forever, and is almost unamiously regarded as one of the best games ever.

NeoCracker
12-13-2007, 10:11 PM
FF VII made RPG's a lot more popular.

Tell me, what did FF VII really do to make it revolutionary outside of being 3D? Which likely would have happened anyway without FF VII.

Raebus
12-13-2007, 10:12 PM
FF VII made RPG's a lot more popular.

Tell me, what did FF VII really do to make it revolutionary outside of being 3D? Which likely would have happened anyway without FF VII.

Wasn't the FF demo for the N64 the first 3d FF?

Karellen
12-14-2007, 05:32 AM
FFVII was revolutionary because it changed the focus on the series from games to interactive movies. The game was marketed as a 'cinematic RPG' and it was that angle that lead to its ultimate success. It wasn't an entirely original concept, early CD games had been experimenting with this sort of thing for years, but FFVII actually made it work. The fact that it was 3D was only incidental in relation to its success.

Loony BoB
12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Anyone can argue that "_____ would have happened anyway" so if you're going to exclude such revolutionary things, then you may as well exclude all revolutions.

I can't say I've read this article, as work has blocked 1up. But the posts slating VII always appear to me as just people slating a game because it's popular and has a lot of fans. There is a good reason why that game has those fans, it should be noted. How many other Eastern style RPGs have made it so big in the Western world?

Heath
12-14-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree with the general sentiments of ReloadPsi's post in that it appears that insulting Final Fantasy is a quick and easy way to appear good on the Internet. Some of the reviews were really quite silly and while I appreciate the limited coverage of each game, the games do have some pluses to them. Though at least he gave FFXII a rest from criticism for a change.

Karellen
12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
FFXII has actually been almost universally praised by professional reviewers, so I wasn't really surprised this retrospective was much the same. It's mainly fans of the series that didn't like it.

LunarWeaver
12-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I'm in agreement with a lot of statements already made. Most of this didn't make a lot of sense. Oh well, these list things are rarely ever objective, be it a site's or a fan's.

Bolivar
12-17-2007, 12:53 AM

Open a magazine from 1997 and you'll find out. Matter of fact, go here (http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=40147) and have the game developers tell you themselves.

Takero
12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I personally don't understand what that guy meant by NOT WORTH IT .:mad2:

I mean I think EVERY Square game is worth playing .

Slothy
12-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I personally don't understand what that guy meant by NOT WORTH IT .:mad2:

I mean I think EVERY Square game is worth playing .

You haven't played Ehrgiez.

Elpizo
12-17-2007, 05:59 PM
FF III NES, FF VIII and FFTA not worth it? Okay, these opinions are not worth it to remember. :)

Sephex
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with most of that. Some of you need to chill because they said certain games aren't worth it. My favorite game of all time is FFIV, and they pretty much said none of the versions are worth it. Though, they kind of made up for it because they pretty much said the DS version is going to kick ass--which we all know is true.

Avarice-ness
12-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Final Fantasy Adventure
Surprise! It's not really a Final Fantasy game (although it was presented as a sort of spin-off); in fact, this is the prequel to Secret of Mana. Does it matter, though? It's quality material through and through, and it definitely has a certain ineffable Final Fantasy-ness about it. Or is that just the nostalgia talking?

Now, I just have to copy and paste that everytime someone makes that mistake instead of making my own 5 page rant on Seiken Densetsu!

I love the FFVII rating!

Takara
12-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I H8 T3H FINAL FANTASYS!!! LUV ME!!!

Come on, love me! Please? :(

I lol'ed at most of them, even those I disagreed with.

Silvercry
12-19-2007, 01:11 AM
You know, Jeremy is usually spot on with his Retro reviews, but his take on KH2? Way off.

Where the hell is my soapbox... ah there were are. *Climbs on*

KH2 took everything positive about the first game and enhanced it while simultaneously taking everything wrong with the first game and fixing it. Some people hate KH for whatever reason, and that all well and good. But even the haters have to admit that KH2 was an improvement in every way over the first game. Yet KH1 rates a ‘worth it’ and KH2 did not? That doesn’t even make sense.

Also, I'm sick of people crying about the 'mindless button-mashing combat' Is it simplistic? Sure. But what is wrong with that? How is pulling of awesome, acrobatic mid air moves, counter attacks, and dramatic, life saving turnarounds with minimal effort a bad thing? If I want to key in a specific sequence of buttons to pull of insane power move every single time I want to do it, well that’s what Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword, and Ninja Gaiden are for. Or better yet, any given fighting game. KH is about looking cool with minimal effort, and that’s fine with me.

Aerith's Knight
12-19-2007, 02:29 AM
KH2 would be worth it just to see Aerith again.. *sigh*

Slothy
12-19-2007, 04:55 AM
You know, Jeremy is usually spot on with his Retro reviews, but his take on KH2? Way off.

Where the hell is my soapbox... ah there were are. *Climbs on*

KH2 took everything positive about the first game and enhanced it while simultaneously taking everything wrong with the first game and fixing it. Some people hate KH for whatever reason, and that all well and good. But even the haters have to admit that KH2 was an improvement in every way over the first game. Yet KH1 rates a ‘worth it’ and KH2 did not? That doesn’t even make sense.

I'd agree with KH2 being "not worth it" compared to the original in the sense that the story wasn't nearly as good, and the worlds themselves were much smaller and had a lot less to them than the worlds in the first game. Both of those took a lot away from the experience to me, especially where the gameplay, while fun, is still simplistic as you admit. It's not a bad thing, but it lacked the depth needed to really bolster my two problems with the game and keep it on the level of the first.

Mr Cactuar
12-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Its 1Up, everyone on teh internetz knows by now that they're just a poor site. I disagree with almost all of their ratings.

I found KH2 to be just as good as the 1st one, but I have to admit I was a bit confused about the OrgXIII thing to begin with. I hear that by playing CoM it becomes much clearer.

The main thing that pisses me off about KH2 is the way that Sora acts near the end.

"omg hey kairi whats doing"
"oh you know, forgetting you, looking for you, getting kidnapped for you"
"oh ok thats coo-ZOMFG IS THAT RIKU!!!?1!1??! RIKU ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG KISSESSSSS HUGGGS IVE MISSED YOU ZOMG OGMAOOGMS"
"i'm right here sora... (kairi)"

tidus_rox
12-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Wow... this whole thing is 'not worth it...'

I disagreed with half the things they said... whatever... its just someone's opinion. :p

Skyblade
12-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I like how people are so angry because not every single game got a "worth it" xP

I think it's more because the review said "wait around for the superior GBA versions", and, once it got to the GBA versions, it said "nah, these aren't worth it either". Why not just tell us that the game sucks during the first review?

Of course, I find these reviews as a terrible guide to judge the quality of the games, so I'm not really going to be following their "worth it", "not worth it" ratings.

Roto13
12-22-2007, 12:13 AM
The only GBA version they said wasn't worth it was IV. (Except Dawn of Souls, but they never said to wait for the superior GBA version.)

blackmage_nuke
12-22-2007, 01:01 PM
The man is a fool, he clearly deserves an ultima right in the face (and as a result the rest of his body gets ultima'd too)

Monol
12-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Hahaha those were awsome

I disagreed with about 80 percent of the things written but It was well worth reading. Always fun to see what "regular" folks think of final fantasy *sighs and goes back to irregular life*

Shotgunnova
12-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree that FF7's story and materia system are a wreck, but there are plenty of other good reasons to experience it (namely, the awesome music). But, it's pretty clear Mr. Reviewer is an exaggeration-hound. He also calls FFTactics' script a disaster, cementing that he is just trying to fill a word requirement or somethin'.

Slothy
12-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree that FF7's story and materia system are a wreck, but there are plenty of other good reasons to experience it (namely, the awesome music). But, it's pretty clear Mr. Reviewer is an exaggeration-hound. He also calls FFTactics' script a disaster, cementing that he is just trying to fill a word requirement or somethin'.

FFT's script was a disaster. It was the victim of one of the worst translation jobs I've ever seen, including FFVII's. Yeah, the story still manages to shine through if you're paying attention, but the script wasn't doing it any favours.

auberginedreams
12-24-2007, 11:20 PM
If this guy hates ffiv, ffvii and ffviii, then he must be the kind of guy who just can't get enough of the Hanna Montanna games.

NeoCracker
12-24-2007, 11:32 PM
If this guy hates ffiv, ffvii and ffviii, then he must be the kind of guy who just can't get enough of the Hanna Montanna games.

You know, while I do hate VIII, and think little of VII, that made me giggle.

Markus. D
12-25-2007, 12:27 AM

I remember him titling FFVII "Worth It"

Mr Cactuar
12-25-2007, 12:25 PM

I remember him titling FFVII "Worth It"

Only for the 'experience'.

"The game sucks, everything sucks, story sucks, gameplay sucks, graphics suck but this game changed everything so you must play it for the experience" - Basically what he said about FFVII.

What a horrid reviewer.

Ashley Schovitz
12-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Who am I to care what one person's view on games are? Honestly, I think whoever wrote those comments, are just looking for attention as none of it is an informative opinion.

You're right it's nothing but some bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:! I don't really like VII myself, but what they speak about it almost seems like bashing just because it's so popular and after they bashed it they still reccommend you play it? WTF for and VII and KHII's story are really not that hard to understand. The only thing that I agree with on there is Dirge of Cerberus since that's like the only spin off I've played of the series. I disdearn most of their reviews there since they seem more arrogant than humble in their disrespects.

Roto13
12-27-2007, 01:46 AM
I share his opinion about FF VII. xP I hate pretty much everything about it, but I made myself play through it because it's supposed to be one of the greatest games ever. It's not even one of the greatest games in the series.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-27-2007, 04:24 AM
The guy made some good points but still did not really justify some of his decisions. I am kinda thinking of KH II. I love the game. Though I agree that it was mainly a button masher (still fun though!) and it was a lot easier than the first one. I mean Atlantica, WTF? Still, the game did improve on the first one and I am sorry but the whole Drive system is awesome. I also found the "Mickey is goth" comment totally obtuse. It seems such a comment would be made by simply looking at him in an Organization XIII trench coat.

x-x;

Bolivar
12-27-2007, 11:01 PM

FFT's script was a disaster. It was the victim of one of the worst translation jobs I've ever seen, including FFVII's. Yeah, the story still manages to shine through if you're paying attention, but the script wasn't doing it any favours.

I used to work as a writing tutor for my school... that being said, believe me, the FFT script is far from "disaster". Shotgunnova is right, the guy is an exaggeration-hound, but that's what most people who slam critically acclaimed games like FF do - they exaggerate.

Shotgunnova
01-02-2008, 05:43 AM
The point is that, while the script -- i.e. the game text -- has errors in it, the useful part of the plot mandatory for experiencing is mostly free of most things. A few intentions get screwed up, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, does anyone care of a proposition or rumor is screwed up? Didn't think so. That said, the script could still use a bit of polish, but it's not as if it was translated by a dyslexic kindergartener as some dictionary-thumpers would suggest.

Zeus
01-06-2008, 01:55 AM
It's a nice read, but in the end it's based on playability and someone else's opinions. I mean on some of the games I can understand generally problems and so forth. But I think that certain people will love certain games no matter what. Even if you think those games suck by certain standards. So lists like that are kinda pointless to base your own personal purchase or time on. If you like ff8, you like it, is that the end of the world?

Rase
01-12-2008, 07:16 PM
This guys opinion is different then mine and I don't like that, so he's a terrible person.

Roto13
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
This guys opinion is different then mine and I don't like that, so he's a terrible person.

<3!

Quenx
02-15-2008, 09:17 AM
What bugged me most is that I couldn't place the correct pictures to their stupid reviews.

Wolf Kanno
02-16-2008, 07:27 AM
*stumbles onto thread* What the hell is this?

Well its truly unusual to see a major game critic badmouth VII and IV while praising IX (I only remeber one magazine giving IX a positive review and that was GameFan). I consider most of his thoughts to be irrelevant. VII is not nearly as bad as he makes it out to be though I agree it has not aged well... Overall, he did it to get attention.

As for KHII, I disagree that from a gameplay perspective its a downgrade from the first. I think its gameplay is its strong point. Its story is a disaster making little sense, dropping the ball on many key moments, and filled with so many pointless convulated plot twists (or plot holes) it can only be a Nojima script... Story wise, KH2 killed all interest I had in the series. Thank you Nojima for taking my smile away again...:cry:

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Overall, he did it to get attention.Incorrect!

Old Manus
02-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Final Fantasy VII is a goddamn mess of a game.

But the truth is, it's not that bad.Logic error

Cloudane
03-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Well that made for an interesting 15 minutes.

Some of you lot are acting like the reviewer slagged off your favourite FF and said it was a pile of poo. I didn't see much of that happening at all, I thought he had fairly balanced and reasonable opinions.

FFVII for example. It wasn't slagged off, it was said to be a great game worth playing! He just happened to point out its flaws like the messy storyline (very true, although in my opinion this gives it more depth). I don't agree that the materia system was bad, it's one of the best Final Fantasy battle systems I've ever played. But an opinion is an opinion.

I quite liked Dirge, so I disagree with that one.

I didn't like FFXII, but I think I may appreciate it more on a second play-through.

The rest of the reviews I can pretty much agree with.

Alucard von Elru
03-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I still think that FFVIII and KHII are very, very, very worth it, but in the end I agreed with most of the listing and thought it was an enjoyable read.

Lynx
03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
id dint agree with a lot of it. calling the materia system a wreck i dont understand it was simple and the most interesting way of learning abilities.

also the main thing i disagreed with is FFIV. that stands as one of my favorite games. i dont think they ever have any valid reasons for saying its not worth it.

and super mario RPG that agme is so much fun ive replayed it probably like 20 times.