PDA

View Full Version : Let Your Invoice Be Heard (Or, "That's Not What I Ordered!")

The Ceej
12-11-2007, 04:27 AM
I placed an order at Overstock last week for a Christmas present for my mother. Said package arrived today. When I opened the package, in addition to what I ordered was a CD called Grey's Anatomy Original Soundtrack Volume 2. I did not order this CD, so I was upset that I'd have to return it and that I was charged for something I didn't order. So, I checked the invoice, which only included what I did order. I then checked the Email they sent and the orders online. There is no record of their ever sending this to me. I don't want to go through all the trouble to send it back. (And think about the shipping I'd have to pay for their mistake.) So, my questions are these:

A. What is the right thing to do?

B. What do you think I'm going to do?

And C. Given the situation, what would you do?

Lynx
12-11-2007, 04:31 AM
A. right thing to do. idk i would jsut assume they gave it to me for free.

B. i am not a mind reader.

C. throw it out why would i want a greys anatomy soundtrack?

The Ceej
12-11-2007, 04:36 AM
You know what, Brett? I find your answer on A. interesting. I guess I could assume they have a huge overstock on Grey's Anatomy merchandise, due to the fact that show sucks, and are trying to advertise it by giving away its soundtracks.

You can't even guess what I'm going to do? Don't you think it would be fun?

Lynx
12-11-2007, 04:37 AM
honestly i think the show does good as far as views but i agree with you in thinking it sucks.

oddler
12-11-2007, 04:45 AM
The right thing to do would be to find out why they sent it to you.

I think you're going to keep it or send it back. :monster:

I would contact the organization and try to find out why they sent it to me. If it was a mistake, I'd send it back. If they were like, "It's on us, our bad," then I'd keep it and give it to my girlfriend. :)

Miriel
12-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Man, I'd just keep it.

But if you really want to send it back, contact them and they should send you a prepaid envelope or box so that you don't have to deal with all that shipping stuff.

The Ceej
12-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Don't worry. I'm going to tell everyone what I'm going to do with it. I just want to see what people think I would do first. I think it's interesting to see what people would do vs. what they think they should do and what they think I would do. Hence the three questions.

Roto13
12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
The right thing to do is to let them know that they sent you more than your ordered, you're not angry because you didn't pay for it, and tell them you'll send it back to them if they'll pay for shipping. They'll probably let you keep it anyway, just because it's probably not worth the hassle.

Peegee
12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Morals are a pointless mental game. Ask yourself this question:

Am I likely to get in trouble beyond the benefit of having a cd if I say nothing? [this query is not a moral question, imo]

If the answer is yes, act in the manner above. If the answer is no, do nothing. Throw the cd away if you want.

Miriel
12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
The right thing to do is to let them know that they sent you more than your ordered, you're not angry because you didn't pay for it, and tell them you'll send it back to them if they'll pay for shipping. They'll probably let you keep it anyway, just because it's probably not worth the hassle.

Yeah, I've done that hoping that they would let me keep it, cause the item itself was only like $20, and I figured shipping both ways would make it a hassle for them, but they made me send it back anyway, and I was all, "aww."

Zeldy
12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Put it on ebay, it's a crap CD that I wouldnt want. People might think I like it!

Aerith's Knight
12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
give it to my sister.. but thats prob not the right thing to do.. i would just send them an email, but also saying that you will not pay for shipping.. sort of a compromise

The Ceej
12-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm enjoying everyone's responses. I'll post tonight about what I'm going to do. I was going to post now, but I figured I'd give people more time to discuss.

Heath
12-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I'd probably get in touch with them about it. I've never been in this situation itself, but if I honestly didn't have a need for it or like what'd be done then I'd send it back. I mean, there's always the potential that somebody else has paid for it and received an empty package or something because they accidentally put the CD in with your order if they post a lot of stuff at once. Regardless, I'd see about giving it back to them, but not paying out of my own pocket for their error.

Aerith's Knight
12-12-2007, 12:47 AM
use it to fight crime!!!

and if you dont know how.. leave it to Captain maxx power :)

NeoCracker
12-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I actually got all of my Bebop for Free because the guys I ordered it from fucked up.

I put in the wrong confirmation number, so the Payment didn't go through. Yet there it was, my Bebop in the Mail. Entire Series plus the movie for free.

You think I'd send all that back?

Sure, not exactly the right thing to do. But meh, its not like they are hurting from one sale.

And I've payed for plenty of :skull::skull::skull::skull: from them before.

As long as you don't make a habit of doing it and do it all the time, its not really a big deal to me.

The Ceej
12-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Now, it's time for me to tell you what I'm going to do with the CD. Don't let this kill the thread, though. There are still two other questions you can answer.

I'm going to take it to a store and return it for store credit. I'm going to say it was a gift, "from someone who apparently didn't know me very well." Then, I'm going to buy something I could actually use with said store credit. I'm surprised this idea hadn't crossed anyone else's mind yet.

Roto13
12-12-2007, 07:42 AM
It didn't come to mind because most of us are good, honest people.

escobert
12-12-2007, 07:46 AM
A. right thing to do. idk i would jsut assume they gave it to me for free.

B. i am not a mind reader.

C. throw it out why would i want a greys anatomy soundtrack?

right on the first shot!

Araciel
12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Send them a package of anthrax for the mental duress you've undergone after having received such a puzzling package.

Fonzie
12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Look at it this way, they just sent you a free Frisbee.

Loony BoB
12-12-2007, 02:11 PM
A. Let them know you have received the additional item. You are under no obligation to request they take it back, or anything similar.

B. I really wouldn't have the foggiest idea.

C. Wait a month to see if they contact me. If not, watch the DVD, then give it to someone who enjoys the show.

Miriel
12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Now, it's time for me to tell you what I'm going to do with the CD. Don't let this kill the thread, though. There are still two other questions you can answer.

I'm going to take it to a store and return it for store credit. I'm going to say it was a gift, "from someone who apparently didn't know me very well." Then, I'm going to buy something I could actually use with said store credit. I'm surprised this idea hadn't crossed anyone else's mind yet.

Because, keeping the CD would have been a passive form of doing something questionable (questionable in that I don't think it's clearly right or wrong to just keep it). But actually going through the trouble of exchanging it for store credit is actively doing something dishonest and quite frankly, it seems a lot more like actual theft to me. But whatev. Doesn't really matter much in my opinion, it's just a CD.

Grey's Anatomy has great music btw, even though the show can suck ass sometimes.

The Ceej
12-12-2007, 07:53 PM
How is exchanging it any different from keeping it? The store to which I take it is going to resell it anyway, so the only people out money are the ones that made the original mistake. And they're out money even if I send it back because they'd cover shipping.

Again, I'm pretty sure it's a CD they sent out to advertise the show.

Tallulah
12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I would have used it as a coaster... :p

Miriel
12-12-2007, 08:14 PM
How is exchanging it any different from keeping it? The store to which I take it is going to resell it anyway, so the only people out money are the ones that made the original mistake. And they're out money even if I send it back because they'd cover shipping.

Uh, I explained how it's different. Passive vs. active.

oddler
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Uh, I explained how it's different. Passive vs. active.

Either way, the party that initially made the mistake should be notified. That way, it can be determined whether it was actually a mistake. :choc2:

Roto13
12-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Unless it came with an actual advertisement for the show with a list of prices of the DVDs, there's no way it's a promotional item.

If you actually think it's a promotional item even though it didn't come with any advertisements, you're living in a dream world.

Miriel
12-13-2007, 12:15 AM
The show isn't THAT lame, that they would need to do wacky promotional stuff like that. :p

Seriously, the music on Grey's Anatomy is awesome. Rilo Kiley, Regina Spektor, etc. Lots of people would pay for the GA soundtrack, why would they give it away for free? They wouldn't.

Aerith's Knight
12-13-2007, 12:36 AM
cause you can dl the good music and leave the bad stuff to teenage girls

The Ceej
12-13-2007, 01:29 AM
Fine. Maybe they didn't give it away. That hadn't even occured to me until Lynx mentioned it. However, I'm not going through extra trouble to send it back. The reason it's still sitting on my desk now is that I don't want to go through extra trouble to do anything with it. However, eventually I'm going to be going to a store that sells it. If I remember to, then I'll bring it with me and get store credit. I'm not going through extra trouble to do anything. It's not my mistake. I shouldn't have to.

Another idea that occured to me was give it to someone for Christmas. I can't think of anyone who would want it, and my brother is the one who suggested returning it for store credit which did seem like an awfully good idea to me.

Roto13
12-13-2007, 02:52 AM
It must be nice to be the center of the universe.

Peegee
12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Humans are guilty of hubris but I don't see the point of that comment =(