PDA

View Full Version : Al-yu-min-i-um

rubah
12-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Aluminum cans are one of the best things to recycle 1) because we go through so many of them and 2) you can make a lot of money off of them because you use so many!

I remember one vivid time in my youth when my dad and I took several trash bags full of cans to one of those green aluminum eating monsters and we spent maybe half an hour feeding cans into it and we came out of it with tens of dollars, somewhere between 13-30 I think?

My family has always had a special trashcan in the laundry room (which is really my mom's sitting room) for cans and another one for stuff I'm not really sure of the reasoning of, I guess it was originally things they didn't want to burn because the metal would wind up in our cattle's stomachs, but we stopped burning our trash a couple of years ago and now we don't have cattle. It usually winds up full of cigarette ashes and butts, vegetable cans, and dryer lint (laundry room, remember?). It's had a distinctive smell ever since I can remember, mostly of stale cigarettes.

But yeah, we used to drink a lot of cokes (my brother was a big mt. dew fanatic and my sister loved dr. pepper and I'd drink almost anything also my dad, and my mom partook of many a diet coke) but now my siblings are gone, my dad and I pretty much swore off cokes (well until I came to college!) so it's mostly diet cokes that goes in there, and there's fewer bags each fortnight, but we still ship them off to my granny sue who is retired and hmm, impoverished so they're a small supplement.

But I just can't understand why you'd just throw good aluminum in the trash. I guess it's just how I was raised.

escobert
12-11-2007, 06:13 AM
I don't drink soda so I don't drink much but beer out of a can :p

Roogle
12-11-2007, 06:13 AM
My mother encouraged a habit of recycling that I wanted to take up by collecting our aluminum cans. The problem was that she wanted me to use our sledgehammer to crush the cans so that they took up the least amount of space in the bag. This created a problem because it required a lot of effort to crush hundreds of cans with a sledgehammer, and, eventually, I lost interest after a big payout.

I will probably force that household to recycle properly and effectively without wasting effort on menial tasks when I go back there to visit and take over.

rubah
12-11-2007, 07:08 AM
It's easier to just step on them or use your hands, roo

escobert
12-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Oh and yeah I've always recycled.

Heath
12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
My family never recycled until our rubbish bin deliveries was cut down from once a week to once a fortnight and were effectively forced to recycle. Now though we recycle a significant proportion of our rubbish and have more than halved what we throw out as 'rubbish' because we recycle a lot of aluminium, tin, paper, glass, etc.

Aerith's Knight
12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
not even worth recycling.. theres still lots of aluminium ore

Peegee
12-11-2007, 12:50 PM
wacky Americanos. It's pronounced Ah da man tee um.

No.78
12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about how to pronounce it.

I get annoyed when people say aloominum.

Mirage
12-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Aluminium, not aluminum. And yes, I recycle soda cans and bottles. It's like an emergency backup. When I run out of cash, I've always got like 100 cans or bottles lying around.

Peegee
12-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about how to pronounce it.

I get annoyed when people say aloominum.

In the UK and other countries using British spelling, only aluminium is used. In the United States, the spelling aluminium is largely unknown, and the spelling aluminum predominates.[12][13] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. The spelling in virtually all other languages is analogous to the -ium ending.

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, but three years later recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both, but places aluminium first.[14] IUPAC officially prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although several IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[15]

Tomato, Tomahto. Color, Colour.

Mirage
12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
It's not the same difference as colour/color. These two are pronounced much the same way, while "aluminum" leaves out an entire syllable.

Sergeant Hartman
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
We recycle stuff at my house, don't get any money for it though :/

BG-57
12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Being American I pronounce it Aluminum, but as a chemist I like the spelling Aluminium better. It fits in with a lot of the other elements that end in -ium. I first encountered that spelling/pronunciation when I was in the lower sixth in a British school in Spain.

Whatever it's called, I recycle it.

Did IUPAC have a ruling on Sulfur/Sulphur?

Aerith's Knight
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
just say Al and S

BardTard
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't drink soda out of cans because my mom doesn't buy them in cans. I get free soda at work, so I drink them in those cup things, and when my mom buys soda she gets the 2 liters.

Araciel
12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Aluminum is the best thing to recycle...I think aluminum pop cans are about 90-something percent recyclable. Most recycling is a joke.

I Don't Need A Name
12-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Aluminium cans are one of the best things to recycle 1) because we go through so many of them and 2) you can make a lot of money off of them because you use so many!

I remember one vivid time in my youth when my dad and I took several trash bags full of cans to one of those green aluminium eating monsters and we spent maybe half an hour feeding cans into it and we came out of it with tens of dollars, somewhere between 13-30 I think?

My family has always had a special rubbish bin in the laundry room (which is really my mum's sitting room) for cans and another one for stuff I'm not really sure of the reasoning of, I guess it was originally things they didn't want to burn because the metal would wind up in our cattle's stomachs, but we stopped burning our rubbish a couple of years ago and now we don't have cattle. It usually winds up full of cigarette ashes and butts, vegetable cans, and dryer lint (laundry room, remember?). It's had a distinctive smell ever since I can remember, mostly of stale cigarettes.

But yeah, we used to drink a lot of coke (my brother was a big mt. dew fanatic and my sister loved dr. pepper and I'd drink almost anything also my dad, and my mum partook of many a diet coke) but now my siblings are gone, my dad and I pretty much swore off coke(well until I came to college!) so it's mostly diet coke that goes in there, and there's fewer bags each fortnight, but we still ship them off to my granny sue who is retired and hmm, impoverished so they're a small supplement.

But I just can't understand why you'd just throw good aluminium in the trash. I guess it's just how I was raised.

Fixed!

and its just incase you can be bothered to go to a recycling bin really

rubah
12-11-2007, 05:34 PM

Hiding under nasty old trees that need to be stripped out of the way so we can mine!

Please stop talking about the differences in spelling/pronounciation. You can take your pretentiousnesses to another thread, if it realy means that much to you.

I Took the Red Pill
12-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Saying Aluminium gives the impression that you wear sandals with socks.

I don't recycle much, the Earth doesn't need me.

Evastio
12-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Personally I think recycling paper and wood is more important. But anything that is recyclable should be recycled.

Aerith's Knight
12-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Personally I think recycling paper and wood is more important. But anything that is recyclable should be recycled.

i agree.. there is more than enough aluminium left in the world.. trees is something else though

Loony BoB
12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I recycled while in NZ, but I hardly ever recycle in the UK. The system is not user-friendly at all. you can even dump paper into the paper bins here because they're locked up, so you have to be sure it can fit into the little hole just to be able to recycle at all.

Madame Adequate
12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
There is no remotely convenient aluminium recycling method where I live, so all our aluminium stuff goes in the regular trash.

blackmage_nuke
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Thats what they said about buffalo...sort of

Araciel
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

i agree.. there is more than enough aluminium left in the world.. trees is something else though

uhm...does the term 'renewable resource' mean anything to you?

Anyway, recycling paper is so inefficient and pollutes the environment with it's byproducts that it's a waste of energy. BUT we're not talking about paper recycling.

Raebus
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
It's Aerith's Knight, I'm not bashing or anything but he doesn't know what he's talking about at times.

Aerith's Knight
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
doesnt really matter.. i dont recycle anything.. its not that common here..

and there is way more ore then there were ever buffalo's :p.. its not gonna run out in the next 200 years.. let them solve that problem

It's Aerith's Knight, I'm not bashing or anything but he doesn't know what he's talking about at times.

ow im sorry.. that i didnt know how the process of paper recycling went, because I DONT CARE.. the word recycling, as in re-use, made me believe it was a good thing..

psh how dare i?

Raebus
12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
It's okay, I'll just ignore the sarcasm and tell you "Yes, how dare you! Perform the self killing act right now to make up for it!" =3.

Aerith's Knight
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
maybe i should just go and learn about all the processes in the world and whether they harm the enviroment.. because thats what i like to do with my free time.. doing things i dont really give a rats furry bottom about

Raebus
12-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Anyway, I don't recycle. We don't have a recycling area near us and certainly not in our home. Usually I'm just too lazy to be honest.

Araciel
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM
maybe i should just go and learn about all the processes in the world and whether they harm the enviroment.. because thats what i like to do with my free time.. doing things i dont really give a rats furry bottom about

Well if you're going to be all bleeding heart about trees, it might help to know how some of that stuff works before you talk about it, yes.

rubah
12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Whoa, guys, no need to get nasty, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it doesn't necessitate even low-heat flaming!

Also, it strikes me as kinda funny that Europeans have it harder to recycle; they seem to be so eager to be environmentally friendly in many other ways, why not this simple one?

Aerith's Knight
12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
the only thing europeans recycle is glass..

which is probably the only usefull one..

and i didnt go bleeding heart.. i made the statement that the rainforest will go down way sooner than that the aluminium ore will run out..