PDA

View Full Version : forums?

Masamunemaster
12-13-2007, 06:15 AM
does anyone know where I can make a forum that is completly customizable?

I have one, but there is a few probs with it.

(notice I am not advertising one)

rubah
12-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Download software and install it somewhere 8)

Masamunemaster
12-13-2007, 06:57 AM
where from, anything you can help me with to get one going...don't worry this site will still be on my top and I hope it will also help me understand the programming language better.

Luther X-Rated
12-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Download software and install it somewhere 8)

Nuff said :)

rubah
12-13-2007, 07:42 AM
smurf, I need to remember to stop navigating away from pages I'm composing a quick reply in xD I've typed this post like four times now.

k so, fancy fancy completely customizable software costs money (vB=what eoff uses, invision=has a free version but they have to host it I think? dunno). There's a lot of free stuff floating around you can use if you have webspace that lets you use php and mysql. Hsu has had a phpbb board for a few years now; I installed minibb for fun about a year ago, and it was pretty easy.

If you don't have webspace that has sql databases, I can hook you up 8)

[for example, this is the minibb I was talking about: Apache Village (http://www.snowy-day.net/obsolete/lolforum/) ]

Masamunemaster
12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
If you will PM me anything and everything you can/will that will help me get something real good going.:)

Rostum
12-13-2007, 07:52 AM
phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com/)
mySQL (http://www.mysql.com/)
Welcome! - The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)

That should get you started, though you will have to have some sort of hosting service that supports SQL and PHP. Most cost, but not much at all (I think I once found hosting for $4.95/month).

If that's all over your head, then there's not much else you can do except put up with Invision or pay a lot of vB. Oh, also if you don't know how to make forum layouts, you can usually find templates for phpBB that you can modify.

I know a fair few people will be able to help more than I can though.

Masamunemaster
12-13-2007, 07:57 AM
templates is what I want to get away from, I want to get creative.

I also did a ton of work in high with frontpage(teacher didn't want me putting any of my stuff on the site bc it wasn't what she wanted)

rubah
12-13-2007, 08:29 AM
you'll want to get away from frontpage too:) Being able to code for yourself is pretty dang important in most applications.

Masamunemaster
12-13-2007, 08:41 AM
well Im gonna log out and get some sleep, but if you have the spare time send me anything that will help me out, and maybe some codes that would help...but that doesn't have to be priority #1

xxthanksxx

Baloki
12-13-2007, 10:52 PM
If you use frontpage Bill Gates eats children, kills nuns and is generally a bad man while you also help bring about the downfall of the internet.

Rostum
12-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Well templates are a good place to start, then you can modify it and be as creative as you want. Coding for the web is quite easy to be honest.

Also, just because you mucked around with Front Page, does not mean you'll have the necessary skills to be as creative as you want. Sending you some "codes" won't really help you out in this situation (templates are a better way to go).

Masamunemaster
12-15-2007, 04:47 AM
well Im just trying to get up and going, I just want to learn....help a lame man

Baloki
12-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Then download a copy of PHPBB 2.0 and hack apart the example template and learn how it works would be my best advice to you :) Since editing a forums looks will always be based off a templated system as that's how PHP works :)

Masamunemaster
12-15-2007, 07:22 PM
k thanx

crono_logical
12-15-2007, 08:30 PM
You can't get any more customised than writing your own one from scratch :monster:

Masamunemaster
12-15-2007, 08:37 PM
well Im gonna try ot download it.

I know I may as well try and get my own since I cant become a admin on my fav forum;)