PDA

View Full Version : Dispel

eestlinc
12-17-2007, 07:49 AM
This is the most pointless supposedly useful spell in the series. I don't think I have ever used it for any purpose in any FF games I have played.

Am I right or am I right?

qwertysaur
12-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Dispel is great in XII. But it is one of the less used spells in the other games. But at least it is better than Vox. :)

Aerith's Knight
12-17-2007, 08:37 AM
isnt it the same as esuna? i think i used mini or toad less than that.. cause it never works

Dragonsoul
12-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Dispel is used frequently in FF XII. You cast it on bosses to remove their beneficial status effects.

Jiro
12-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Never used it in any other except XII. Its pretty much useless elsewhere, cause no bosses are affected and random encounters are too easy.

Slothy
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I've used it occasionally in games besides FFXII, but it's usually just as easy to beat something down physically. That said, I've used it more than a lot of other spells in the games, so no, it's far from the most useless spell.

Jessweeee♪
12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
It's cool! If you keep casting Reflect on your party during the fight at the end of disc one on FFVIII, Edea will spend the entire battle casting Dispel n.n

Aerith's Knight
12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
i did notice that Jess, but im always at a high enough level to beat her anyways.

Loony BoB
12-17-2007, 04:17 PM
XII aside, I'm fairly certain there were some battles in which Dispel was rather useful in for FFX.

eestlinc
12-17-2007, 04:36 PM
I haven't played FFX or FFXII. I am reminded most of the White Dragon battle in FFVI where he keeps casting dispel on you, as if it will make any difference.

oddler
12-17-2007, 06:00 PM
It's useful in FFXI, too. :choc2:

ReloadPsi
12-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Dispel is something I use fairly often in some games, though it has the annoying habit of showing up way later than you would've liked. Quite handy in a few parts of FF10, plus in 7 Safer Sephiroth will cast it on himself (wasting a turn, and removing Wall if he still has it) if you can inflict Slow.

Any spells that inflict Silence, Blind or Sleep are far more useless, outside of 8 and 10 anyway where there are ways to just make your weapon inflict them so you don't have to waste time casting them to see if they might actually work this time. Frustratingly I am reminded of Dagger's spells in 9. Actually nearly all the skills and spells were useless in 9.

Vivisteiner
12-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Dispel is awesome in some FFs and next to pointless in others.

The Unknown Guru
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Dispel is incredible in XII and IX. It's a necessary precursor to almost every boss battle.

eestlinc
12-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Dispel is necessary in FFIX? I have crushed that game without ever using it.

I will admit today I tried using dispel on an especially annoying enemy in FFV advance who kept casting reflect on himself. I used dualcast to cast dispel and then holy. He died. It was mildly satisfying.

Roogle
12-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I think that, starting with Final Fantasy X, Dispel became increasingly more important.

It is a vital part of strategy and party building in Final Fantasy XI, and it is required at certain points to remove excessive positive status effects from enemies in Final Fantasy XII. By this pattern, I would think that Dispel or a skill with a Dispel effect will be necessary in battles in Final Fantasy XIII.

Maybe developers are putting more time into strategies for players, or maybe they realized that status effects as a whole were unpopular because they rarely worked. I find that status effects are, in general, more important than they used to be.

Masamunemaster
12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
why doesn't someone just make a list of the games and the most useless spells, and how useful dispel was in it:P

eestlinc
12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
go ahead :D

Dispel just seems weird to me because it is a high-level spell so it seems like it should be more useful.

Roto13
12-22-2007, 05:49 PM
There are times when you can use dispel on an enemy to cause it to waste a turn recasting it's buffers, and there are times when you can cast a buffer on yourself to get an enemy to waste a turn dispeling it. :D

Heath
12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
It's cool! If you keep casting Reflect on your party during the fight at the end of disc one on FFVIII, Edea will spend the entire battle casting Dispel n.n

For some reason I had it in my head that Edea didn't use dispel in the battle at the end of disc one, but did use it in the battle at the end of disc two. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly though.

Dispel is useful in FFXII as has been stated several times. I think it's one of those spells that people often to forget to use because it is a handy to spell to have around. I used it every so often in FFX but beyond those two and perhaps IX I barely remember using it at all. IX is certainly more than easy enough to complete without it.

Sup3rman
12-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Dispel ownz PERIOD lol

blackmage_nuke
12-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I might be thinking of something else but doesnt it get rid of things like stop or slow where esuna doesnt work? if that is the case i think ive used it on a few occasion in FFVI or somewhere else

ReloadPsi
12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
There are times when you can use dispel on an enemy to cause it to waste a turn recasting it's buffers, and there are times when you can cast a buffer on yourself to get an enemy to waste a turn dispeling it. :D

That almost makes me wanna class it as Time Magic, though it isn't :(

Jessweeee♪
12-24-2007, 11:32 PM

For some reason I had it in my head that Edea didn't use dispel in the battle at the end of disc one, but did use it in the battle at the end of disc two. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly though.

Nah, at the end of disc two she just casts Reflect on herself.

Zeromus_X
12-25-2007, 01:57 AM
I don't think I ever really used it in FFI, II, III, or IV. In FFV, it was fairly useful, as enemies started to have automatic Shell/Protect/what-have-you, which was annoying. In FFVI it was a bit less useful, but I remember being annoyed by enemies using it on me since I usually use the beginning turns to set up buff spells. I don't recall using it too often in VII, VIII, or IX. In X and XII I remember using it quite a bit, alot of bosses used buffs in XII.

Mirage
12-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Dispel is a very situational spell. It's really good in *some* harder fights, but mostly useless in all random encounters.

Rantz
01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
In FFVIII, it's a great thing to have in the fight against Cerberus (to dispel Triple when it casts it on itself), but yeah, I don't use it often.

Breine
03-16-2008, 10:09 PM
It's one of my favourite white spells. I've often used it in all Final Fantasies.

LunarWeaver
03-16-2008, 10:19 PM
I use it sometimes I guess, but it's a forced thing. There are a lot of spells in the series' arsenal that are useless. They make no attempt at all to make them otherwise. :(

Bahamut2000X
03-16-2008, 10:47 PM
It's useful in FFXI, too. :choc2:

True 'dat.

Big D
03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
It comes in handy from time to time in the earlier games, especially against any enemies using Haste in VII or VIII. For the most part in VII, though, troublesome enemies use Barrier/MBarrier/Wall, which can be taken out with De-Barrier, the weakest spell on the Materia which includes De-Spell.

FFX... I don't recall using Dispel much, but it was probably handy from time to time, especially in Arena battles. But I don't really recall.

FFXII is where it truly became an 'unmissable' spell for various major battles. I'd never have beaten Yiazmat (the strongest optional superboss) without Dispel, since that boss is fond of giving itself Shell, Protect, Regen, Faith, Bravery and who-knows-what else. Lots of regular enemies, like the Archadian Judges and infantry, use Shell or Protect; this can make the battles quite risky when there are lots of foes and you've got a low-level party.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-17-2008, 02:26 AM
I found it to be a very useful spell in FF12, but other than a few battles in FF10, I don't really think I used it in any other FF game. It isn't useless or pointless, but it's just something that helps with certain battles.

Bakamut
03-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I've found Dispel to be useful in X, although only very occasionally. For instance, when an enemy uses reflect on itself then, like the Seymour on Mt. Gagazet I think it is, attacks themselves to reflect it onto you (a pretty stupid strategy if you ask me). Also, when say, a dark element uses reflect on itself I like to use Dispel. Mostly because instead of beating them down physically I like to use Lulu as well to give everybody a chance in battle.

But for the most part Dispel's pretty useless.