PDA

View Full Version : Random observations about Lulu. (Spoilerific)

auronlu
12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
This is stating the obvious to some, but I'm surprised how many folks go, "Oh, that makes her so much less of a slutty goth."

Lulu. Miss Grouchy.

Best danged guardian after Auron... and both of them miserable failures in their own minds, ironically enough.

Why?

When Lulu and Wakka couldn't dissuade Yuna from starting summoner's training, Wakka shrugged and went back to his blitzball, and Lulu went on a pilgrimage. No, two. She's been on more pilgrimages than Auron, and for all we know, more than any guardian in Spira, since it's a risky business (4 summoners succeeded in a thousand years? Doesn't bode well for their sidekicks).

There can only be two reasons for Lulu's sudden choice of guardian as a career, despite her apparently rather hot and heavy relationship with a blitzer named Chappu...

~ To get to Sin first and save Yuna the trouble.
~ To gain experience enough to be able to protect Yuna when the time came.

Which comes in handy, since she serves as a walking tour guide for most of the game, and is better able to roll with the punches of Yevon's betrayal when the time comes.

However, Lulu's a little more worried than most of them about failure, due to her experiences with losing one summoner and having another bail out halfway through.

When I first started playing this game, I thought she was all about the T&A. It took me a while to notice the brains, the backbone, and the expertise.

I still don't get the dolls, though. I just don't.

cally777
12-17-2007, 09:03 PM
When I first started playing this game, I thought she was all about the T&A. It took me a while to notice the brains, the backbone, and the expertise.

Compared to Wakka, part-time guardian, part-time blitzer, not amazingly good at either at the start of the quest, Lulu is one serious professional. You said it. She has got the skills and experience for the job and she means to use them fully.

I still don't get the dolls, though. I just don't.

Perhaps they keep her warm at night!

:choc::choc::choc:

rubah
12-17-2007, 10:50 PM
she's just your typical down-to-earth voodoo girl, that's all there is with the dolls!

I think you hit her head on. She takes her job pretty seriously.

Jessweeee♪
12-18-2007, 01:13 AM
She has a list :bigsmile:

No.78
12-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Lulu rawks

Big D
12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Lulu is the awesomest and deepest character in the game, but her backstory is only ever hinted at and brushed over - there could be a whole prequel exploring Chappu, her earlier pilgrimages, and all the events that shaped her life up to the original game.

It's just a crying shame that every FF after 7 has basically marginalised all the characters except for the leading couple. In FF7, everyone got their moment in the spotlight, even the optional characters; in the later games, it's all about the hero and heroine.

Elly
12-27-2007, 02:21 PM
the reason for the dolls is simple, it's a focal point for her to channel her energy through, much like a wizzards/witches cane, staff, or wand... not to mention she animates them for physical attacks albeit they are rather weak physical attacks but, she should not have a reason to use them in that manner except in the most desperate situation where she has no SP or recovery items...

Heath
12-28-2007, 08:57 PM
It's just a crying shame that every FF after 7 has basically marginalised all the characters except for the leading couple. In FF7, everyone got their moment in the spotlight, even the optional characters; in the later games, it's all about the hero and heroine.

It's a crying shame that some of the more interesting characters in games seem to just be totally neglected when their characters were interesting enough to merit further development. Shame.

I've always like Lulu and I think you really hit the nail on the head with your post, auronlu. I think she's the one who probably takes the pilgrimage the most seriously. Not only does she appreciate the gravity of the entire situation Spira is in but is fully willing to ensure that if she can do anything to help the place through Yuna, then she will do so.

ReloadPsi
12-29-2007, 12:14 AM

Seriously? I caught on to Lulu's depth of character right away. Hell, she's the only character besides Auron I was able to take seriously the first time round but then like you said, lots in common. (And no, I'm afraid I didn't take Kimahri seriously. In my book the "silent bad-ass" type is done to death... in fact there are rumours that the next edition of Roget's Thesaurus will contain "overused" as a synonym of "mute".)

Lulu's a fantastic character, good on you for elucidating that. It's too bad she's not quite so useful in terms of gameplay ;_;

And to think I'm saying such good words about a Black Mage.

auronlu
01-08-2008, 02:57 AM
I must be doing something odd. I've heard other people complain that Lulu's weak in battle, yet by the time I've hit the end of the Mi'ihen Highroad, she's usually doing twice as much damage as anyone else unless she's up against something with extra magic resistance. I tend to cycle all my characters in and out so everyone gets equal AP, so it's not because I'm using her more than the others.

My parents tried the game for the first time this Christmas, and they, also, found her to be essential to battle. While watching them play with help on, I discovered that the Guado magic-users specifically target Lulu, singling her out as an especial threat. I doubt she's got Auron's rep, so I can only assume it's gameplay-related... and in fact, it is. With their auto-potion, they can heal themselves from most physical attacks, but her spells tend to cut them down with one zap.

And doublecast packs a very helpful punch.

So what am I missing? Why do experienced players find her "not quite so useful in terms of gameplay"?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-08-2008, 04:43 AM
I still don't get the dolls, though. I just don't.She has them for the same reason she has an antigravity corset and a full-length skirt made out of belts: Because Tetsuya Nomura, that's why.

Roto13
01-08-2008, 07:02 AM
I think I'm just going to start referring to Nomura as "the belt guy" or "belty" or something.

Namelessfengir
01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I think I'm just going to start referring to Nomura as "the belt guy" or "belty" or something.

you do that and im sure he'll give a "belt" across the jaw

PPPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big D
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I thought Lulu's costume was pretty awesome, as well as being rather creative. The belt-dress would weigh a lot, but it'd also provide pretty good protection without actually being armour. As for the corset... I've seen larger chests supported by skimpier corsets, so it's not too unrealistic.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately, none of Nomura's designs are technically (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=harajuku) unrealistic.

Big D
01-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Most of his attempts at armour design are impractical or impracticable, but then that's true of most costume designers who don't actually know how armour 'works' in practice.

I have the dubious benefit of knowing how to fight with swords etc, how to travel through the wild on foot, and how to make and wear the kinds of clothing actually worn by our ancestors who did both those things. As a result, I know all too well that many Final Fantasy outfits would be virtually impossible to fight in for long periods without bursting seams, or restricting movement. The FFVII outfits weren't too bad, but many of the game both before and after VII had costumes that no sensible combatant would willingly fight in.

auronlu
01-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Oh, well, as for the plausibility of those costumes... magic, it's allll magic. Lulu's got fire marbles in the corset to keep her from freezing to death, evidently, just like Lara Croft uses her bra to store spare ammo, first aid kits, and the occasional grenade launcher.

Straying even further off-topic, I think they actually did do some motion-capturing for the sword-wielding in X, although the swords themselves are silly. There's a particular wobble in the way Auron holds his sword that reminds me of SCA fighters flexing the shoulder after standing in defensive alert position (whatever that's called) for a while. It's especially noticeable on the guys who are wielding a hand-and-a-half sword one-handed. I'm guessing slight muscle fatigue? *looks at Big D the Rohirrophile for confirmation, since I be a lowly archer*

The odd thing is that I've found it possible to survive for at least a week in the desert with less clothes than an X-2 character... provided one stays in the shade during the day and has triple polar fleece blankies at night. I'm not telling you where I camp, tho -- a girl's gotta have her privacy. ;)

Big D
01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Straying even further off-topic, I think they actually did do some motion-capturing for the sword-wielding in X, although the swords themselves are silly. There's a particular wobble in the way Auron holds his sword that reminds me of SCA fighters flexing the shoulder after standing in defensive alert position (whatever that's called) for a while. It's especially noticeable on the guys who are wielding a hand-and-a-half sword one-handed. I'm guessing slight muscle fatigue? *looks at Big D the Rohirrophile for confirmation, since I be a lowly archer*Wow, another SCAdian? We don't get many around this forum. Yay!
As for your question... FFX did indeed use motion-capture actors, if I'm remembering the end credits correctly. I've seen film of the same being done for other sword-swinging games, where they'll give the motion-actor a suitably large sword-like-object so that their movements are as realistic as possible. Even though the sword techniques usually aren't particularly realistic, it's good that they use actors to make the movements mirror what a real person would look like.

The odd thing is that I've found it possible to survive for at least a week in the desert with less clothes than an X-2 character... provided one stays in the shade during the day and has triple polar fleece blankies at night. I'm not telling you where I camp, tho -- a girl's gotta have her privacy. ;)I do believe this is the first time you've confirmed your gender around here... it stands to reason, though - I know a few slash authors (not that I ever read any, of course :shifty:</>), and for some reason they're all women.

Markus. D
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
the reason for the dolls is simple, it's a focal point for her to channel her energy through, much like a wizzards/witches cane, staff, or wand... not to mention she animates them for physical attacks albeit they are rather weak physical attacks but, she should not have a reason to use them in that manner except in the most desperate situation where she has no SP or recovery items...

Not all true.

My Lulu was dealing 99999 with her celestial weapon by the end of the game :P (third/fifth playthrough...)

Big D
01-11-2008, 08:41 PM
My Lulu was dealing 99999 with her celestial weapon by the end of the game :P (third/fifth playthrough...)Mine too - she's part of the main team on my 'mastered' file. It's funny watching her perform a counter-attack, whereby she backhands the enemy with her defensive bracelet for 99999 damage.

cally777
01-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Lulu is the awesomest and deepest character in the game, but her backstory is only ever hinted at and brushed over - there could be a whole prequel exploring Chappu, her earlier pilgrimages, and all the events that shaped her life up to the original game.

I agree kinda, though I think early in the story she has a strong role, but later on seems to get pushed to the side a bit. Perhaps with so many characters, its not surprising.

As far as her past goes, its a fan fiction writers dream to fill in the blanks. I have one story on the go about the time after she lost Chappu. I hope I finish it some time!

I must be doing something odd. I've heard other people complain that Lulu's weak in battle, yet by the time I've hit the end of the Mi'ihen Highroad, she's usually doing twice as much damage as anyone else unless she's up against something with extra magic resistance. I tend to cycle all my characters in and out so everyone gets equal AP, so it's not because I'm using her more than the others.

And doublecast packs a very helpful punch.

So what am I missing? Why do experienced players find her "not quite so useful in terms of gameplay"?

I think with the conventional sphere grid, u r right, she is strong all through the early part of the game. But her problem later on for me is low agility and magic resistant fiends. You could partly fix this by using the other sphere grid or teleport spheres etc. Of course, very late in the game, you can make anyone whatever you want practically.

In some ways her usefulness plots the same graph as her involvement in the story.

BTW, Great Sig, Big D! Shiniest armor and best attitude "We will meet them in battle nonetheless"

Sarc the Swordsman
01-17-2008, 01:47 AM
I found Lulu to be a very interesting and useful character in both combat and storyline. I do think she should've had more spotlight though...but at least her past was hinted on in the Yojimbo cave.

Roogle
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I think that the game could have benefited from greater storytelling and focus on some of the other characters.

Lulu is a prime example of a character that we don't usually see much of. She is an experienced veteran, and, at a young age, has knowledge far beyond her years. I would have liked to see more interaction between her and Yuna, and I would have liked to see her take more actions on her own and appear in more cutscenes.

My friend has a wall scroll of this game and the primary image is that of Yuna, crestfallen on the ground, with Lulu in the foreground holding a hand out as if to protect her — that wasn't in the game, but it should have been.

Darkwolf090
02-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Yes Lulu is awesome she is smart, knows what she is doing, and her magic is pretty strong if you keep her leveled but more then just all that! .... damn hot too! So its a win win to have her in your party yay!

FFIX Choco Boy
02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I would have liked to see more interaction between her and Yuna.

Yes, we all would...

ANYWAYS, Auronlu, you said she's been of 2 pilgrimages other than Yuna's, what do you mean by that? I knew about lady Yucon or whatever, who died in the Yojimbo cave, but who are you talking about when u say a guy who skipped out 1/2 way through?

Old Manus
02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
It's just a crying shame that every FF after 7 has basically marginalised all the characters except for the leading couple. In FF7, everyone got their moment in the spotlight, even the optional characters; in the later games, it's all about the hero and heroine.Vivi?

Not that I enjoyed all his emoness.

phbr
02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
who are you talking about when u say a guy who skipped out 1/2 way through?

Father Zuke ... you meet him when you first arrive at the shop/travel agency in the Calm Lands

f f freak
02-11-2008, 06:28 PM
My friend has a wall scroll of this game and the primary image is that of Yuna, crestfallen on the ground, with Lulu in the foreground holding a hand out as if to protect her — that wasn't in the game, but it should have been.

I have that! I remember thinking that it looked like it was in Mushroom Rock Road and I was annoyed because I thought I'd missed something and I searched around for ages trying to find it. Then I realised it wasn't in the game and was upset because Lulu looked so cool in it.

Anyway, yeah, Lulu was awesome. I found her more useful towards the beginning and the middle, though after teaching her White Magic she became the most valued member of my team, being able to Heal and Blast the enemies with magic.
Storywise, I wanted to see more of her. We got a little insight into her character, though not enough. I would have liked to find out a lot more about her other pilgrimages and her relationship with Chappu.

ReloadPsi
02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Most of his attempts at armour design are impractical or impracticable, but then that's true of most costume designers who don't actually know how armour 'works' in practice.

Most costume designers have this, our duty as an audience (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief) in mind. Nobody has a 100% success rate of carrying out this duty, I should know from my own track record. But there it is.

Roogle
02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I have that! I remember thinking that it looked like it was in Mushroom Rock Road and I was annoyed because I thought I'd missed something and I searched around for ages trying to find it. Then I realised it wasn't in the game and was upset because Lulu looked so cool in it.

Yes. I assume the artwork was a conceptual drawing of the game and doubled as promotional artwork to display the nature of the game. Unfortunately, nothing like what is displayed on that wall scroll happens in the game at all. If anything, it only serves to show you that maybe the developers had more ideas in mind than what was put into the game.

rubah
02-11-2008, 09:35 PM
If it had been in the game, it would've been an FMV anyways.

Captain Maxx Power
02-12-2008, 01:47 AM
I agree, Lulu's breats are joyously large. Nicely observed

Also this thread desperately needs a certain badly-drawn belt-based character to invade.

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-13-2008, 04:42 AM
well my first post in almost a year i think...

as a gothic slut myself i can say i take no offense to that original statement... if u would consider a man able to be a slut...

lul is the most deep character in the game and one of my 2 favorites to use in combat with the other being auron

the armor in all the games r a little improbablle but they work from a visual design standpoint as appealing and thats y theyr always used

i am not completely trained in the proper ways to use swords and thats y its really not smart for me and my friends to use em against each other for fun... but i kno it is not easy to use hand and a half swords one-handed

her doll is voodoo and many a grown woman iv found still has em... tho most not for voodoo

well thats about all i can really add to this discussion...:)