PDA

View Full Version : Bought a system for one game?

hhr1dluv
12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Hey all, I have a bit of a problem. Erm...so I'm a bit of a psycho completion type person for Final Fantasy. Now, I don't feel the need to play every numbered title (I have no desire at all to play 1-3, 5, or 11), but I do feel compelled to play spin-off titles for ones I have played (with the possible exception of Dirge of Cerberus...I need someone to convince me about that one).

Now, I really want to play Revenant Wings and Crisis Core, but I have no PSP and no DS. Now, there are really not that many games on either of those systems that I would really want to play, so I can't completely justify buying the system. I'm also not that heavy of a gamer. I really play just Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games. (With a few amazing exceptions: yay Chrono Trigger and Shadow of the Colossus!) If you want three games on a system, does that justify buying the system?

Anyways, I suppose I wanted to ask you all: have you ever bought a console or handheld just to play one game? If so, did you regret it? Also, if anyone is in my predicament: what would you do/what do you plan on doing? Would you suck it up and buy the systems? Suck it up and say "I don't NEED to play every game!"? Choose one? Which one?

Ack! Sorry for the amount of questions! This is really bugging me lately...I'm letting Square manipulate me into spending money. :smacks face:

Nifleheim7
12-18-2007, 01:19 AM
It really depends on how much you love these games.If FFXIII was exclusive to XBOX360 i would have to buy the system even if it was only for this game.

If you want three games on a system, does that justify buying the system?
For me it does.

have you ever bought a console or handheld just to play one game?
No.

Would you suck it up and buy the systems?
Yes.

NeoCracker
12-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Lets see, I bought a PS for FF VII, and a Gamecube later for FF: CC, then a PS2 for FF X.

Thank god all of those systems had better games on them. Otherwise I'd feel ripped of.

But yes, I think its worth it to buy a game for one system. But I'm hardcore like that.

Hell, I originally bought a 360 for Blue Dragon. (Oddly, now that I have blue dragon I don't have my 360 anymore. :P)

Though for most people, buying a system souly for one game is silly. And really it kind of is.

But meh, I'd do it again.

hhr1dluv
12-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks for responding! Well, a PS3 for me is a given, even if the only games I play are FF XIII and FF V XIII. :p I can't refuse the main series entries at this point.

I really just take issue with the handhelds, as it's adding on approximately, what, 150? for each system and game...I keep secretly hoping that some random person in my life is going to give me these systems for free.

The way I see it, here are the games I'd be interested in playing on PSP: Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep (assuming it comes out here), FF: Dissidia.

DS: Final Fantasy IV, Revenant Wings, 358/2 Days, Phantom Hourglass, possibly some others.

Urgh... I just hate this whole spreading out thing that Square is doing. The PS3 had better have through at least FF XIV on it, or I am going to be majorly pissed.

Crossblades
12-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Urgh... I just hate this whole spreading out thing that Square is doing. The PS3 had better have through at least FF XIV on it, or I am going to be majorly pissed.

They're only doing that to make more money and spreading to a wider audience. And SE has said in the past that the numbered series would remain Sony Exclusive.

Vivisteiner
12-18-2007, 05:20 PM
DS
FFXII: RW
FFIII
FFIV
FF Chocobo tales

PSP
FFT
FFVII: CC
FF Dissidia

Those are the FF titles coming, if I remember correctly.

Crossblades
12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
DS
FFXII: RW
FFIII
FFIV
FF Chocobo tales

PSP
FFT
FFVII: CC
FF Dissidia

Those are the FF titles coming, if I remember correctly.

You forgot to add FFTA2 and FFCC:Ring of Fates for the DS. And all those games(with the exception of FF VII:CC, Dissidia, and the games I mentioned)are out already.

hhr1dluv
12-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Well, I've sworn never to play FFs 1-3, 5, 11, or Tactics (though I might change my mind about Tactics). I'm trying to consciously limit myself. So, my Square-DS experience would be limited to IV, RW, and 358/2 days (if it comes out here); my PSP experience would be VII:CC, Birth by Sleep, and Dissidia.

Erm...just curious...if FF XII was my least favorite Final Fantasy, what's the likelihood that I would really like FF Tactics? Keep in mind (if you're the type of fan that this matters) that my favorite FFs are X, VII, and yes, X-2 (I actually loved X-2 ;) ).

Crossblades
12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Why would you never play 1 or 3 or even 5?

Storm San
12-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I would advise you but I won't since you "won't play games like FF1-5" :mad2:

cloud21zidane16
12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Just go for it and buy them;)

hhr1dluv
12-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Why would you never play 1 or 3 or even 5?

To be honest, I probably will play them someday, but I'm trying to consciously limit the amount of games in this series that I play (for the sake of time and money...though the fact that I'm even considering spending 200+ dollars for the sake of six games seems to make the aforesaid point moot). I had heard that IV was the first one to have a deep storyline, so I decided to cut off 1-3. Nintendo games in general are sadly a bit too simple for my tastes, so I don't really expect much from 1-3. (Feel free to contradict me if you have a good case for why FF 1-3 might have a complex storyline or is particularly engaging). As for 5, I think I said that since it wasn't released in America originally, I wouldn't count it. (Weird, I know). If I get a DS, I will probably play 3...and probably then 5. But I still have no desire to play the first two, and I don't want to buy them and put time into them if I never really wanted to play them. But then, if there's ever a time where I have every FF but 1 and 2, I'll suck it up and play them for the sake of completion.

I would advise you but I won't since you "won't play games like FF1-5"

I've played 4. ;) Four was very good, though I wasn't amazed by it. Since it seems that most people say that 4 is the best of 1-5, I feel no real need to play the others. 4 was enough of a taste of early FF for me.

Northcrest
12-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Not really
I bought the PS3 for just some final fantasies and Sonic
I bought PS2 for Final Fantasies and Narutos
I bought PS1 for VII- IX

rubah
12-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I bought a ps2 for ffx xD

ReloadPsi
12-25-2007, 10:30 PM
I bought a PSone for FF7 and later ended up playing a lot more games I had apparently missed out on.

Like Vib Ribbon.

Yeah baby!

Yar
12-25-2007, 11:38 PM
I re-bought a SNES so I could play my Final Fantasy II.

Tallulah
12-26-2007, 01:59 AM
I had to buy a new PS2 just so I could play Final Fantasy XII; my old one's laser died. :(

I am also very tempted to get a PSP for the exclusive FF titles on that.

Roto13
12-26-2007, 04:25 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to buy a system for one game, especially if you're pretty sure you'll never play any other games on it.

Bolivar
12-27-2007, 10:41 PM
If it's a new system, no, but I've bought Nintendo's last 2 systems (64 and Gamecube) when they were old to play a few games that I wanted to own. Best bet is maybe to hold off on those games, the DS and the PSP are already a few years old, although their prices haven't changed much i'm sure they will probably sooner than you think.

The good news is, since you only play FF/KH both the DS and the PSP have access to a number of those titles, PSP getting the new KH spinoff and the DS (being able to play GBA games) can play Chain of Memories. You can also play FFI-VI on the DS (i know you said you have no interest in the 2d ones outside of IV and VI, believe me, you should reconsider), and the PSP has the re-remakes of I & II, plus you can emulate the PSX ones. So either one wouldn't be a bad investment for your tastes, plus there's alot of other things you can do with the consoles, the DS mostly through homebrew and the PSP with all of its features.

hhr1dluv
01-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions, especially you, Bolivar. I think that I will end up getting both systems, though if the KH games don't come out in North America, I might decide against it. Yet, I'm pretty sure I can acquire a PSP for free, and a DS for $50 (naive cousins), so I don't really have that much to worry about anymore. ;)

Wolf Kanno
01-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I bought a SNES so I could play Street Fighter II with a better controller and later I was introduced to the FF series through II (IV) and III (VI) as well as CT and SoM and a few other RPG series I truly enjoy. I got a PS1 for VII and was not blown away by it I'm afraid but shortly after the purchase was justified in the forms of FFT, MGS1, and Xenogears.

I bought a PS2 for X and MGS2. Both were kinda disappointing but luckily a slew of other games came out to redeem it and seriously, with the exception of the SNES I never saw a system retire with a bang like the PS2 did as some of my favorite games for it have come out in the last two years alone.

Now I bought the DS for alot of games but I did wait for FFIII to come out first and was pleasantly surprised. Of the early FFs I feel you should give them a chance but to each their own. I still need to play RW (why the XII hate btw?) and I'm looking forward to the IV remake. I'm really behind on my games for this sytem though...

Recently the PSP has finally gotten a few games that warrant a purchase but lately my wallet has to be tight so I can't make anymore extravagant purchases but the remakes of Valkyrie Profile, Dracula X, and FFT alone make the system rather pleasing to my eye.

For now, I only want MGS4 for the PS3 and can't say the XIII project has me impressed but the PS3's price is still way too high for me to warrant a purchase for one game. The 360 has more titles I'm interested in but none of them are "system sellers" to me.

Martyr
02-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Buy the system. What's it gonna run you? A couple hundred bucks? Just don't eat lunch for a few weeks.

Aerith's Knight
02-01-2008, 03:06 AM
im gonna buy psp with FFVII:crisis core in march.. so what.. i just dont eat at all for a week :).. ill survive.. homeless people do it all the time.. ill just eat from trash cans

Avarice-ness
02-01-2008, 04:14 AM
I look at this rationally.

A DS will bring you more happiness overall than a PSP will.

I havn't bought any system for one single game alone. When I got my DS, all I had in mind at the time were:

1. The ability to play FF1-6 advance on the DS.
2. "World of Mana" series. (Gonna play them atleast once)
3. FFIV-DS
4. Cooking Mama

And now, Mario Party DS and an aray of other games. The DS is prolly my most favorite item next to my iPod.

Either way, yeah just look at it rationally on what the PSP versus the DS has to offer you, and at prices too.

Aerith's Knight
02-01-2008, 04:24 AM
i already have a ds.. actually.. all im missing after i buy the psp would be a ps3 :).. then id have everything :3

leader of mortals
02-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I would buy a system for 1 game, because you will almost always find a different game for it... oh and ff3 for the ds is alright.

Aerith's Knight
02-04-2008, 01:35 AM
pre-ordered my psp with FF-crisis core today :)

CelestialStarDust
02-04-2008, 01:49 AM
im debating on buying a 360 so i can play DOA and Tenchu Z,but i REALLY want a ps3 as well.

Tavrobel
02-04-2008, 03:08 AM
I bought a ps2 for ffx xD

Ichimonji
02-04-2008, 03:19 AM
When I was younger I used to get the consoles that the next Final Fantasy would be on, but now I have enough money to just buy every system, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

There's a downfall with freedom to purchase all consoles though. I find that with too many games, I don't complete them without moving on to the next one. There are exceptions of course, but still.

DarkLadyNyara
02-04-2008, 05:30 AM
I'd only buy a system for 1 game if I thought it was likely I'd eventually find other games on the system that I'd be interested in.

If you want three games on a system, does that justify buying the system?

Oh, most definitely.

hhr1dluv
03-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Mmmkay...So, I now own a PSP. My brother bought one from a friend for 40 bucks. Silly boy. ;)

So, my 'active' systems are: PS2, Xbox360, Wii, GBA, PSP. I think I'll buy a DS from a cousin for 70 dollars. And then, when FFXIII comes out, I will finally buy a PS3.

As an aside...you know, I'm not too happy with the Wii. The novelty had kind of worn off for me. All I like about it now is Zelda.

Thoughtless
03-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I bought a Gamecube purely for FFCC, it's still the only game I have for it.
I bought a PSP for Valkyrie Profile about 2 years ago I think, and now FFVII:CC is coming up.
I bought a DS for Chocobo Tales, FFXII:RW and FFCC:RoF.
I bought a Gameboy Advance back in the day for FF:TA.
I'm definitely buying a ps3 the moment FFXIII is released, and I'm buying a WII for the CC title coming up, at least their nice and cheap.

It's all a matter of whether or not you have a job to pay for them if your as obsessed as some of us :).

toad626
03-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Ah simple. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One game does not justify a new system. Especially at 400+ dollars. That's a new surf board, or a new wet suit with 100 dollars left over. Never will I do that.

Bakamut
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I admit... I bought a DS for Pokemon Pearl. I got it on sale second hand for $100 and I had some spare money to burn at the time. It's given me many, many hours of fun though. My brother has a bunch of DS games already though, like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, etc that I have played. I would get more games for it IF I had the money, but I don't have a job at the moment and as soon as I get any money it's been going on alcohol >_>

And the next thing I want to get is XII (for PS2) when I get $30 or so that doesn't disappear on booze.

I can't wait for IV to come out on DS though, I'll be getting that fo' sho.

dodhungry
03-13-2008, 08:49 AM
been here done that with the Game Cube and prolly gonna wind up doing it again with the psp lol