PDA

View Full Version : Vaan and Penelo?

hhr1dluv
12-18-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death somewhere in here, but I've been curious about this for a very long time, and I can't get a definitive answer. So all of you who have played through XII and possibly Revenant Wings...is there a romance (implied or not) going on between Vaan and Penelo? From what I've played of XII, I'm inclined to say that there is something going between them, but then, I read romance into many things. :P

Fynn
12-18-2007, 06:30 AM
In XII, it was more like she was in love with him, but he was actually oblivious. I think the scene in the end inclined thaht everything had worked out. Still itching to play Revenant Wings, though.

Ouch!
12-18-2007, 06:54 AM
I felt that their interactions in the main plot suggested that their relationship did not exceed that of close childhood friends. However, talking to many NPCs in Rabanastre begin to suggest a closer (albeit unofficial) relationship between the two.

I've not played Revenant Wings (and don't have much interest to do so), so I can't comment on whether such a relationship is realized more fully.

Dr. Acula
12-18-2007, 07:33 AM
Like The White Wizard of Fynn said, I think Penelo thought of Vaan as more than a friend, but it was unrequited. Vaan almost forgot about her once Ashe came along. But I haven't finished the game yet so I don't know what happens in the end.

PeneloRatsbane
12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
um spoilers, Penelo and Vaan's romance is explored in Revenant wings, Vaan gets Jealous of other guys paying attention to Penelo and its implied that they get together in the 100% ending

hhr1dluv
01-31-2008, 02:02 AM
Yay! I'm glad I finally have an answer to that question.

Goldenboko
01-31-2008, 02:19 AM
It is definitely implied in the pretty early in Revenant Wings that there is something more to their relationship. Eventually Vaan gets into a conversation where Vaan and Penelo are said to be the "mother and father", where Filo and Kytes are described as the "Son and Daughter." Naturally they don't mean this actually, but as a metaphor. So most definitely there is something going on between the two.

Bolivar
01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
I think their relationship was more platonic in XII. The sequel makes them out to be the big brother and sister of the Lowtown Orphans. In Revenant Wings, there's a part mid-game where the party is stuck in a dream-like-world-kinda-but-not-really and Penelo has to think of Vaan in order for them to be reunited. She seems to really come out with alot of feelings for him and does soemthing else that suggests she has affections for him.

In both XII and Revenant Wings, it seems Larsa has a thing for Penelo and Vaan has a thing for Ashe. Balthier also has a scene for Ashe in RW (as well as XII). Not to mention the whole mess with Balthier and Fran, forget love triangle, it's a big web that's never really brought to a conclusion, it's up to future installments to pan it out.

Big D
01-31-2008, 10:46 PM
There were recurrent subtle implications of something between Vaan and Penelo throughout the original game, so I'd take it as a given that she fancies him. And vice versa, even if he doesn't realise it.

Loads of NPCs mention it, including a Viera making reference to the one Vaan's heart truly belongs to, or words to that effect.

Like most of the deep character stuff in FFXII, it's kept subtle rather than shoved into your face like the earlier games had taken to doing. I rather like it, actually.

Goldenboko
01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
There were recurrent subtle implications of something between Vaan and Penelo throughout the original game, so I'd take it as a given that she fancies him. And vice versa, even if he doesn't realise it.

Loads of NPCs mention it, including a Viera making reference to the one Vaan's heart truly belongs to, or words to that effect.

Like most of the deep character stuff in FFXII, it's kept subtle rather than shoved into your face like the earlier games had taken to doing. I rather like it, actually.

I fully agree with this post.

Aerith's Knight
02-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Revenant wings secret ending was awsome, Vaan picking up Penelo and running away with her ^__^.. and little hearts everywhere when they talk

Serapy
02-02-2008, 12:06 AM
At first, I thought they were siblings because they looked a-like pretty much :p

PeneloRatsbane
02-03-2008, 08:01 PM
they look less alike than Ashe and Vaan do, its just the blondeness i think