PDA

View Full Version : Evens or Odds? Which FF set is best?

hhr1dluv
12-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Someone else in this forum made a statement claiming that all odd FFs are the best. So, I was wondering, from FFs 1-12, do you prefer the even numbered games or the odd numbered games?

As an aside, if I said that which ever set you chose meant that you could never play the other set again, would that affect your decision?

As for me, though I like 7 very much (it's probably my second favorite), I would have to pick the even games.

qwertysaur
12-18-2007, 11:43 PM
This is like asking "which eye is better, left or right?" I can't chose when you divide the games up like that.

Tavrobel
12-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Not especially. The odds are better on a whole, mostly because two of them don't suck. Either way, it's a subjective thing as to what to focus on when picking them out, so I guess the real question is "Even or odds? Which FF set do you think is best?" II and XII bring the whole group down, and not even FFVI's iridescent and radiant qualities can redeem them both. VIII doesn't really help the equation any more, either.

Evastio
12-18-2007, 11:54 PM
I'd say it's the even ones. They're the ones that stood out more for me.

oddler
12-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Even if I had to lose FFIV, I think the odds are overall my favorite. I couldn't go without FFI and FFXI and I enjoyed FFVII and FFIX too much. FFII and FFVIII I could definitely do without.

Takara
12-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Well, it's pretty balanced for me. For the odds, I love III, V, and IX, and am neutral (or in the case of XI, just don't care) about I and VII. As for evens, I just adore IV, VI, and XII, and I'm neutral (or in VIII's care, I would adore the game if it wasn't for the forced love story with that twit Rinoa) toward II and X.

So, I can't choose, sorry. The odds are just as memorable and entertaining to me as the evens.

rubah
12-19-2007, 03:15 AM
I like ff2, 6, 8, 10, 12

I like ff5, 7

Evens win!

I'd miss bartz, reina and faris and galuf, but I'd also miss lulu, auron, penelo, fran, bathlier, basch, frioniel, lionhe, guy, maria, squall, rinoa, irvine, quistis, selphie, and locke too!

Slothy
12-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Even since FFIV, VI, X, and XII are among my favourite RPG's. I can only say that about V and IX from the odd group.

NeoCracker
12-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Evens - IV, VI, XII
Odds - V, IX

Thing is, of those Nine is my favorite. But VI and for take the secodn and third slots.

So I will take the only logical answer.

Every Game that is a multiple of 3 would be my pick.

Karellen
12-19-2007, 05:04 AM
I'd probably go for the evens. II is terrible and VIII is mediocre but otherwise all the other even games are actually really good. For the odds, on the other hand, I has seen better days, III was great for its time but rather dated now and V is only really worth playing for the job system. VII and IX are decent but XI has a pretty limited appeal.

blackmage_nuke
12-19-2007, 08:49 AM
This is like asking "which eye is better, left or right?" I can't chose when you divide the games up like that.

My right eye is alot weaker than my left.

I'd have to go with even

Vivisteiner
12-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Odds has FFIX in it.

Ergo, odds wins.

The Ceej
12-19-2007, 06:34 PM
What the hell kind of question is this? I'm surprised at the number of people are are taking this seriously.

rubah
12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Why not? Inspecting things from new perspectives sometimes brings insight. Also it's something to do xD Maybe you should take more things seriously 8)

The Ceej
12-19-2007, 08:47 PM
If by "take more things seriously" you mean "take anything seriously" I still don't see a point.

Heath
12-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Hm. Of the ones I enjoyed the most, it's:

Odds: V, VII, IX
Evens: IV, VI, XII.

So I'm rather undecided! I initially went with odds because I think I probably enjoyed V, VII and IX combined more than I enjoyed IV, VI and XII combined, but it was certainly very close.

Goldenboko
12-19-2007, 09:54 PM
What the hell kind of question is this? I'm surprised at the number of people are are taking this seriously.

Why are you always such a grouch? "PEOPLE ARE HAVING FUN? THIS MUST STOP!!!"

Odds has FFIX in it.

Ergo, odds wins.

Yep.

Roto13
12-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Odds: V, IX, XI
Evens: VI, VIII, X, XII

Evens win this time.

This thread sucks, though. Everyone knows it's the multiples of 3 that kick ass.

Laddy
12-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Odds: III, VII, IX
Evens: IV, VI, X

VII is my ultimate favorite, so it wins.

Goldenboko
12-19-2007, 09:56 PM
This thread sucks, though. Everyone knows it's the multiples of 3 that kick ass.

QFT.

hhr1dluv
12-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Christ :p

I didn't mean to piss anyone off, it's just a random question. As you'd know, (since I wrote it in my initial post), I asked this question because someone had claimed that all the odd FFs are best. So I was curious about whether or not others would make the same claim. People are hostile here! :choc2:

VeloZer0
12-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Well, if I sum up how much I liked the games on an arbitrary scale

Evens
II 0
IV +1
VI +2
VIII -2
X +1
XII -2
+2

Odds
I +1
III 0
V +1
VII +2
IX +2
XI 0
+4

Odds definetley come out on top.

A few years ago I heard that Square had two alternating teams working on FF games so they would come out faster. I found it interesting to hear at the time seeing as I liked 7&9 far better than 8&10. Is there any truth to this, or is it just coincidence?

Vivisteiner
12-19-2007, 11:18 PM
FFVII
Hironobu Sakaguchi (game producer, original scenario concept)
Yoshinori Kitase (game director, scenario writer)
Tetsuya Nomura (character designer, original scenario concept)
Kazushige Nojima (scenario writer, event planner)
Yo:skull::skull::skull::skull:aka Amano (image illustrator, title logo designer)
Nobuo Uematsu (composer)

FFVIII
Hironobu Sakaguchi (executive producer)
Shinji Hashimoto (game producer)
Yoshinori Kitase (game director)
Yo:skull::skull::skull::skull:aka Amano (image illustrator, title logo designer)
Tetsuya Nomura (character designer)
Kazushige Nojima (scenario writer)
Nobuo Uematsu (composer)
Yusuke Naora (art director

FFIX (:love: )
Hironobu Sakaguchi (game producer, original concept)
Shinji Hashimoto (game producer)
Hiroyuki Itō (game director, game designer)
Shukō Murase (main character designer)
Kazuhiko Aoki (scenario writer, event planner)
Yo:skull::skull::skull::skull:aka Amano (original character designer, image illustrator, title logo designer)
Nobuo Uematsu (composer)
Hideo Minaba (art director)

FFX
Yoshinori Kitase (game producer)
Hironobu Sakaguchi (executive producer)
Motomu Toriyama (game director)
Tetsuya Nomura (character designer)
Kazushige Nojima (scenario writer)
Nobuo Uematsu (sound producer, composer)
Yusuke Naora (art director)

Compare for yourself.

Slothy
12-20-2007, 05:24 AM

All of them except III that is.

Roto13
12-20-2007, 06:09 PM
III is better than I and II, so it fits.

Christ :p

I didn't mean to piss anyone off, it's just a random question. As you'd know, (since I wrote it in my initial post), I asked this question because someone had claimed that all the odd FFs are best. So I was curious about whether or not others would make the same claim. People are hostile here! :choc2:

GTFO! :nonono:

Selena_Akariko
12-20-2007, 07:03 PM

All of them except III that is.
You are wrong.

Vivisteiner
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
^Do you mean 'wrong' as in 'right' or 'wrong' as in 'right'?

hhr1dluv
12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
GTFO!

?

You'll have to forgive me. I don't frequent boards that often and I'm not sure what your "get the :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: out" is trying to convey. Humor? Sarcasm? Or more of the "hostility" that my 'n00bish' self pointed out before?

blackmage_nuke
12-21-2007, 01:32 AM
GTFO!

?

You'll have to forgive me. I don't frequent boards that often and I'm not sure what your "get the :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: out" is trying to convey. Humor? Sarcasm? Or more of the "hostility" that my 'n00bish' self pointed out before?
All of the above!

Roto13
12-21-2007, 01:59 AM
GTFO!

?

If you don't know I'm not telling you. >:D

Slothy
12-21-2007, 02:24 AM
III is better than I and II, so it fits.

I suppose you do have me there.

rubah
12-21-2007, 03:23 AM
GTFO!

?

I think he was teasing mostly xD

just let grouchy people lie 8)

Northcrest
12-25-2007, 02:16 AM
I have to go with odds. Final Fantasy I, II, XI I nevered played. I thought FF III, VI, VII, IX, and XII were awesome. My top 3 would be VII, XII, and IX so Odds win.

Wolf Kanno
02-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Well this is the only correct answer in my opinion... ;)
http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiii/97702-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-a.html

Roto, I want to have your baby... or since its biologically impossible for either of us... at least kidnap some kid and say he's our baby:love:

Roto13
02-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I say we kidnap LunarWeaver and raise him as our own.

scrumpleberry
02-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Evens.

I - Pretty good
II - Tedious
III - Tedious from the little I've played of it
IV - LOVE
V - Good, but jobs tend to stress me out
VI - LOVE!
VII - Pretty good
VIII - Never played
IX - LOVE
X - Pretty good
XI - Never played
XII - Pretty good

Wolf Kanno
02-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I say we kidnap LunarWeaver and raise him as our own.

Sounds like a plan! :D

Avarice-ness
02-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I say evens as well, 4 and 6 are my favorite's, and I'm able to tolerate 10 and 12 better than some of the other games.

While 8 is my least favorite FF, I don't find it as annoying as 3, 7, or 11.

ljkkjlcm9
02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
There's another way to look at it too... the last game made on a system

FFIII for NES
FFVI for SNES
FFIX for PS
FFXII for PS2

it just so happens that they always seem to make 3 games per system...

THE JACKEL

Bolivar
02-07-2008, 12:58 AM
As much as I like II and IV better than I and III...

V, VII, and IX win this for me.

Jessweeee♪
02-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Hmmm....well my favorite was FFX, after that is FFVIII, but my least favorite was FFIV :p

FFVII and FFIX are purdy neat, so is FFXII.

I'd say it's pretty balanced.

hhr1dluv
02-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Speaking of balanced, I think it's hilarious that, at the time of this writing, the poll is equal on both sides. :p

Heath
02-14-2008, 08:54 PM
That was because I forgot to vote. *rocks the vote*

blackmage_nuke
02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Me too *dont rock the vote baby*

hhr1dluv
02-15-2008, 04:41 AM
I think it's interesting that ljkkjlcm9 says that the best Final Fantasies are the last on each system. It makes sense. I'd imagine that the last game on the system might be the best made because the company had time to perfect its craft.
Yet, my friends and I have always felt that the games that have the strongest hype, critical reception, and acclaim are the first games on each system (I, IV, VII, X). That's why I always thought that VI was so special...I've noticed that critics' lists will often cite FFs IV, VI, VII, and sometimes X as the best games. VI is the only one that isn't benefitting from the hype-factor of being on a new system. So, it's just legitimately good. :p

toad626
02-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Evens without question. For me 10/10-2 (one game to me), 6, and 4 are quite a trio of games. Odd, just has 5 and 9 as superb games. Sorry guys 7 is only a good game for me. Not superb.

02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
to the people who are confused about why evens/odds would be a legitimate way to divide the games up: I don't know how well the pattern has held past IX, but it used to be argued that the odd games had less of a focus on plot and more of a focus on the "role playing" (look at I, which was the closest thing to a true RPG the series had, and III and V which focused on class systems, while II, IV, and VI were mostly about the story). So yes, it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask.

I'm a sucker for job systems, so it's no surprise I go with the odds. To make this mathematical:

VI=best
II=worst

Both evens, and they cancel each other out.

V=2nd best, missing the number one spot by just a tiny sliver.
VII- 2nd worst, but V is so good and at least I don't outright hate VII (more like general dislike), so odds get some points here.

IV=great.
I, III, IX=great.

More points for odd.

VIII= not especially great. Another bonus for odds.

So even though my favorite is even, the odds win by a landslide.

Bolivar
02-23-2008, 03:44 AM
I guess I might as well point this out here...

Like ",,," there is merit in comparing the two. Not only for the reason he gave, but there are notable differences in structure between the two:

It all starts with the first 2 games. FFI had four elemental crystals which manifest the life force of the world. When the power of one is blocked, that respective element of the planet begins to die out. FFII was more plot oriented, devoid of elemental crystals or light warriors, and was about a group of rebels who fight against an empire. Eventually the empire's leader gets taken over by a supernatural force.

III, just like 1 had four crystals representing the elements and light warriors who restored them. IV continued II's tradition of a group of rebels against an empire, which this time got outright hijacked by a supernatural force, being a more "evolved" or advanced race. Eventually the mastermind behind all this had his hate manifest into something far deadlier. However, it may seem that there is no distinct tradition because IV also had crystals. But, as an imprisoned black mage said - they're not what you think they are. the ones on earth were used to transport to the moon and then on the moon they were what was used to seal away a threat.

V again, carried on odds tradition with 4 crystals tied to the life of the planet and light warriors. VI again goes back to rebels against empire, which gets manipulated by Kefka. because so little information is given on him, we can't know if he simply was able to benefit from the empire's knowledge of phantom beasts or if he had some knowledge of this on his own. In any case,

VII seems to be like the explanation for the crystals. The lifeforce of the planet, when it materializes, makes a crystalline form, and allows the user of it to directly communicate with the planet. The 4 crystals are brought back in the form of the huge materia, in which there is a race to collect all of them like in earlier games. VIII again was about rebels against an empire which was hijacked by a supernatural force.

IX mixes up a little bit of the two, but it's revealed that the life of the planet is directly related to what is going on, as Kuja and Garland are stopping the flow of souls like mako reactors did in VII, or the 4 fiends of chaos did in FFI. After about the first half of the game it reverts to the style of other odds. X, instead of an empire, had a religion which dominated the political realm and had its own army. It wasn't hijacked, but was in reality created in order to further the continuance of a supernatural force, yu yevon. I haven't played X-2, so I'm not aware of the further details of the storyline, but this is what it seems to be on the surface.

And with the newest incarnations, XI and XII, you have the same thing. XI, again with crystals (although there are 5 and they're connected to races) and XII with the story of rebels against an empire, this time being manipulated by one of the deities of the region.

Some of the games overlap this pattern, as IX had a story of going against an empire that was being manipulated, but that was a compilation, and its overall plight was for restoring the life of the planet. IV, also a compilation, incorporated the crystals, but they do not represent what they do in the odd numbered games. One problem in this theory is that VII and X have been connected as being on the same planet, so one style game has events which impact those of a different styled game. What exactly this all entails, I can't say for now, but these are just some observations I've made playing the series. And not surprisingly, the next entry in the series, an odd one, is bringing it back to crystals which control the fate of the planet.

Tabris
02-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Even, without a doubt. That's where X and XII are, my favourite FFs. VIII is a good game too, in my opinion.

theundeadhero
02-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Both sides have good games but evens win with me.

2- Okay
4- Pretty good
6-Favorite
8 Not that bad
10- Pretty good
12- Okay

1- Pretty good
3- Didn't really like it
5- Okay
7- Pretty good
9- Pretty good
11- Not that bad

toad626
02-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Even, without a doubt. That's where X and XII are, my favourite FFs. VIII is a good game too, in my opinion.

You'll get slammed a lot likening 8. I loved 8's story, but that damn junction system and having to watch the same summon sequences over and over again...Really dropped it.

Boliver to describe X-2. Just think a little more info on the history of Spira regarding the Beville/Zanarkand war. Along with some of the Yevon religion practices and secrets. But the main focus is change. No more Yevon religion, who will people turn to for gov't purposes? Thus the rise of the different factions. Who will be become the new world order of Spira? (That had more prevalence in the game than the actual villain that wanted to destroy Spira, as only a few of the residents of Spira were even aware that Shuyin existed.)