PDA

View Full Version : You Raise Me Up

Rye
12-19-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm quite tired of wallowing in QQ sadness, I feel like reading happy things. Tell me about a person or event that inspires and drives you to succeed, or something you've overcome. This is the positive melly thread. I want everyone to be able to read this and smile at some point. :3

Roto13
12-19-2007, 07:25 PM
My husband got his Visa renewed so now the only thing (potentially) standing in his way of returning to Canada is the Canadian authorities, and we have no reason to believe they'll kick up a fuss. :D

Also, I was away from my cat for seven months and he didn't really remember me. But then I sat down on the couch with my laptop and he was like "OH IT'S HIM! *purr purr purr*" and now we're best buds again.

Rye
12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
My husband got his Visa renewed so now the only thing (potentially) standing in his way of returning to Canada is the Canadian authorities, and we have no reason to believe they'll kick up a fuss. :D

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I'm so happy for you and Dilcio! :3 I hope he comes home ASAP~

prayzer
12-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I had a friend that was very special and dear to me die in a tragic car wreck back in '99. She was an awesome person and friend, and was an inspiration to eveyone that knew her. My reason to smile about this is that I named my daughter after her. Other than the obvious fact that I love my daughter more than anything in this world, I also remember my friend and it makes me want to be a better person.

Zeldy
12-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I had a huge fall out with pretty much all of my friends about 3 weeks ago, and things are slowly getting sorted. In their opinion, things have been 'sorted' for the past week or two, but it hasn't really :3 finally Ive had my say. What's good about that is we're now going to properly sort things out tomorrow or Friday :) We're all going to a meal that was booked a few months ago on Friday, so things better be sorted :p

Old Manus
12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Our five-a-side team won our first game of the season this evening :cool:

Quindiana Jones
12-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Rye calling me q....q....q....QQuin makes me sad. I don't even get it!!!!!

I know a girl who makes me happy. 'Nuff said.

Yamaneko
12-19-2007, 08:13 PM
I got into the college of my choice.

Too soon?

Iceglow
12-19-2007, 08:26 PM
I've got several people who always drive me onwards and hopefully upwards or atleast sidewards. Some come here and are known to you all, I've always said I could never thank Aggy for making me stop looking and actually start seeing things for what they were. Jack and Psy for always keeping me going no matter what, Amratis for her pure honesty in any situation if I need to know the honest opinion I phone her and fill her in. I've got others who don't come here, like one person who no matter how bad a day is can text me or call me and I'm right back to my usual cocky, amusing self. Yeah you got it, she's my girlfriend :)

Rye
12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I got into the college of my choice.

Too soon?

Nah, Yams, I can laugh over it, I guess. Even though I still feel like a failure. But then again, what did I expect trying to get into one of the hardest schools in the entire country. xD

But never mind that negativity. :monster:

Hambone
12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Famous musicians who overcame hardships!

Aerith's Knight
12-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Aeris :).. smiled until the end :(

Shauna
12-19-2007, 10:34 PM
When I got my exam results in, I was fairly crushed. The one thing I had wanted to do my whole life - Medicine, I could no longer do, without first doing another degree and then going on to do it. I was pretty much lost for a few months. But, eventually, I picked myself up and just decided that I couldn't mope around because I couldn't do Medicine. I chose something else to do in Uni, and I'm a-okay now. :D Or I should hope. xD

And who inspires me to do well? My friends and my family. They're always supporting me. Oh, and that Mike as well - he's always there for me too, encouraging me and such. :heart:

Raebus
12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
There was a horrible moment in my life at one point, truly horrible. I found out it was illegal to kidnap celebrities you had a crush on, I had it all planned and everything, I was going to take Christian Bale from his house and play games with him. That hit me pretty hard. D=

Shauna inspires me the most and she's always there for me and just talking to her and being with her makes me so happy, she always encourages me too. <3

KuRt
12-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Whenever I get devastated by life's poofulness I just lay on my bed, put up Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication for some reason even though I don't like RHCP that much and just think about summer of 2006 when we had the best time on earth with my friends.
Always brings a smile on my face

Shoeberto
12-19-2007, 11:45 PM
My cal I teacher was a total hardass with her quizzes and tests. The quizzes were mostly take-home but were ridiculous, and the tests always had too many problems that just seemed impossible. So I always ended up with a C or D on those assignments. However, the midterm was written by the program coordinator, and actually tested knowledge of the important topics instead of being overly hard. I got an A on that without breaking a sweat.

So that kept my grade in B territory, which was nice, but I wanted an A because it was a 4 hour class, weighting it a good bit. But no matter how much work I put into the quizzes and studying for tests I still kept getting Cs.

Before the final, though, she announced that she was going to put a review sheet online that would allow us to redeem 1/5 of the test points we missed in class if we did all of them and, presumably, got all of them right. But it was all or nothing. But when I did the math if I got those points back and got like a high A on the final, I could get an A in the class.

So the day before the final I literally spent all day on that sheet. I got down to question like 52 out of 54, and I was stuck. I could get to a certain point (basically all the actual calculus) before I got stuck on some really hard algebra stuff (trying to solve a cubic for zeroes). I was really upset because I was afraid not getting that one would nullify the full day's work I put into the thing. I still did the rest, hoping that maybe I'd get credit.

So I took it in to the final, and before I actually turned it in I asked some guys from class who said that she said that if we wrote how to solve it after the calculus, we'd get credit. So I erased a bunch of BS I had written on how to find the zeroes and just wrote in English how to do it.

I was pretty uncertain about a lot of problems on that exam, but two days later to my surprise I found a nice, shiny A on the webpage with my grade. I was ecstatic.

Vivisteiner
12-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I always used to think that 'You Raise Me Up' was a song about an erection,

But leaving that aside, its probably my family. But Idrk.

Madame Adequate
12-20-2007, 12:26 AM
I have a hot ass. :cool: It inspires me to shake what my momma gave me.

41-Inches-Wide
12-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Yes, you got it from your momma, Millfuelle.

I just got out from a horrible series of morose days. I've been trying to save a lot of money, so I can only spend about less than a dollar a day last week which basically translates to me eating 2 biscuits for lunch (and free filtered water!) and having to walk to and from the office which is not an easy feat for me.
Yesterday I was so down on my luck. When the mostest special person discovered that I have not been eating well for more than 4 weeks already and I was walking home alone, he drove over to the office and asked me to come to the nearest mall and pig out over any food I wanted and he vowed never to let me not take care of my health anymoar.

My whole week simply brightened by that very generous act and so I gave him a handmade Certificate of An Hero and I pinned it on his shirt for taking great care of me the time I was totally down and out.

Roto13
12-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Update on the husband situation: He didn't have to be interviewed at the Canadian embassy for some reason (probably because he's married to a Canadian now) so the only thing standing in his way to being in my arms again is his lack of a plane ticket. <3 That'll come in time. Hooray!

escobert
12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
I'll hopefully be buying my plane tickets to chicago today. Then only a week until I can huggle Liz.

Madame Adequate
12-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Update on the husband situation: He didn't have to be interviewed at the Canadian embassy for some reason (probably because he's married to a Canadian now) so the only thing standing in his way to being in my arms again is his lack of a plane ticket. <3 That'll come in time. Hooray!

I'm very happy for you both! :D

Luther X-Rated
12-20-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm naturally optimistic about everything, so I don't feel down too often.
I guess when when I'm down on my luck I spend more time with my family.

Breine
12-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Also, I was away from my cat for seven months and he didn't really remember me. But then I sat down on the couch with my laptop and he was like "OH IT'S HIM! *purr purr purr*" and now we're best buds again.

I like that he didn't recognize you without the laptop xD and also, congrats on the whole thing with you husband :)

What generally tends to keep my mood up these days, and also inspire me, is music. Music has a way of helping no matter what mood/situation you're in.. also, clichés like friends and family :P

Agrias
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Right now i'm going through probably the worst time of my life, its all written on my livejournal (http://alicethepoop.livejournal.com/). Anyways, the thing thats driving me through is actually remembering my grandma. She was a secret spy for the greek government and she went through SO many trials and dangers in her life, but she still tried her best and stayed happy in the worst of situations. My friends help me through times like this as well, iceglow is an awesome listener as well as roto, stu, etc. You're all amazing and awesome in your own ways, and it helps me relax when i talk to you guys. So from the deepest part of my heart i say thank-you for raising me up <3

Misfit
12-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Tell me about a person or event that inspires and drives you to succeed

Eric! He's my love, my inspiration, my partner, my friend. My reason to never give up and be the best I can be. He is all my reasons.

"What truly is logic? Who decides reason? I have made the most important discovery of my life: It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reasons can be found. You are the reason I am. You are all my reasons."

LanceOfTime
12-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Love

Peegee
12-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Neel once told me this rationally brilliant thing. He told me that all things, whether good or (especially) bad, are temporary, and will go away eventually.

That little sentence has made me forever positive in my day-to-day approach to everything. If there's a problem I don't worry. If the world's gone to poo I don't worry. I still indulge in emotions but I don't stay emo very long =)

Caraliz
12-25-2007, 06:38 AM
my mom randomly gave me 20 dollars today after i told someone else i wished for ganja and i bought some with it. it was nice.

um. i have to do laundry and i'm going out for christmas breakfast tomorrow. :D those are all happy things.