PDA

View Full Version : Note to Self: FFIII, Level Grind

Avarice-ness
12-19-2007, 07:42 PM
I bought this last night, and played it a bit inbetween Cooking Mama binges, I'm on my way to "SAVE THE PRINCESS SARA" but you know, I'm not used to enemies jumping up in ultrapowerfulness THAT fast into a game.

I think my highest HP'd person is at 44 and those skeletons hit for 44.
So!

How much of this game is going to be spent with me having to level grind just to survive in a dungeon?

Thanks in advance!

ScottNUMBERS
12-19-2007, 10:24 PM
How much of this game is going to be spent with me having to level grind just to survive in a dungeon?
At the start you can plow through the dungeons with minimal leveling.

Later on it gets rather ridiculous for the 'I'll just fight necessary battles so as not to over-level' player. You have to grind just to be high enough to run away from the monsters. I suppose if you fought those battles in the first place you wouldn't have to grind so much, but I'm not wasting time fighting them just to be slaughtered by a boss at the end (without being able to save first might I add)!

I'm not bashing this apect of the game though, in fact I am rather fond of it. In other FF games you don't get the chance to level up your characters without removing every bit of challenge from the game. Try experimenting with different parties, it may pique your interest in leveling.

Crossblades
12-20-2007, 12:32 AM

Later on it gets rather ridiculous for the 'I'll just fight necessary battles so as not to over-level' player. You have to grind just to be high enough to run away from the monsters. I suppose if you fought those battles in the first place you wouldn't have to grind so much, but I'm not wasting time fighting them just to be slaughtered by a boss at the end (without being able to save first might I add)!

I'm not bashing this apect of the game though, in fact I am rather fond of it. In other FF games you don't get the chance to level up your characters without removing every bit of challenge from the game. Try experimenting with different parties, it may pique your interest in leveling.

Not in the DS version.

Ava, in this game, job levels are more important than regular levels(but that doesn't mean that you should ignore raising your regular levels :p ). To survive in the first dungeon, you need to raise your freelancer job a couple of levels

ScottNUMBERS
12-20-2007, 01:55 AM

Not in the DS version.
That's the version I was talking about.

The old version may have been harder, but there is no denying this version still goads you into alot of leveling.

Elpizo
12-20-2007, 10:17 AM
You just have to prepare yourself and train properly for III DS. Gaining levels in III DS is easy and fast anyway, so it's no big deal. For the Sealed Cave I trained to level 8 in the left tower of the castle nearby and then the cave was a breeze. But I heard of a guy who grinded his Freelancers to job lv 99 and beat the sealed cave easily at lv 4. Proves how important job levels are.

The only time I really had to grind a lot was for teh Final Dungeon, but I wanted to be prepared, so I trained from lv 45 to 60. But in the end it turned out that lv 55 would have been enough, and the last dungeons were too easy for my taste. My own fault, though.

Yar
12-21-2007, 02:35 AM
It just the beauty of RPG games from that era. They were grinding games. You were supposed to focus on character development a lot more than you seem to now.

Bolivar
12-29-2007, 02:38 AM
You have to grind in the beginning?

i have a save at before the scene with unnei and doga together, that gave me some problems, it didn't in my first 2 games, but i think i gotta level for that.

ReloadPsi
12-29-2007, 04:19 AM
The only time I found myaelf needing to levelgrind in this game is the final dungeon, and that was sort of accidental as I kept retreating to the entrance to use the bed in the airship; never running from a single battle in the meantime.

Play other dungeons this way (retreat when you feel threatened) and you will not feel like you're forced to grind. Not quite so much anyway.

NGU
01-02-2008, 05:41 AM
The only time I really had to grind a lot was for teh Final Dungeon, but I wanted to be prepared, so I trained from lv 45 to 60. But in the end it turned out that lv 55 would have been enough, and the last dungeons were too easy for my taste. My own fault, though.

I grinded the hell through Ingus the whole game, I found a good spot killed the other 3 and leveled he was Lvl 40 for Garuda! The others are strong-ish but I beat the CoD today, Luneth Lvl 51 Ninja JLvl 30 Refia Lvl 52 Devout Jlvl 14 Arc Lvl 50 Magus (now summoner) JLvl 13 and wait for it... Ingus Lvl 99 Onion Knight Jlvl 9. He did the finishing blows to well everything we saw. Anyway Grind Grind Grind. In the fianl Dungeon first room find a couple of Blucks and kill what they summon (Kum Kums) that is the ticket you can get tonnes of exp all from 1 battle.

Hazzard
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Boy, you'll have to lvl grind like crazy for the final battle, my one lasted for half an hour, and I thought i was at a sufficient level. Extremely hard! To end the game you should settle for something around level 50-60.

Oh yeah, gaining Job Levels is more important than the actual character level, because it can improve the amount of damage points you take away from an enemy, and all that jazz.

KoShiatar
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
From my experience, you'll have to level-grind moderately, except for the last dungeon. That is a lot harder. But if you plan on getting fully equipped Onion Knights or doing the secret boss sidequest then you'll be leveled enough to beat the game with no great difficulties.

NGU
01-03-2008, 03:30 AM
I never found the last dungeon hard probably because of Ingus but my last battle took like 4 minutes.

Mr Cactuar
01-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I can't believe no-one has said this yet.

You aren't ment to go into the dungeon with skeletons yet, I learnt that the hard way too.

NGU
01-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Holy Penguins the tslking Cactus is right stay away form that place (I don't think I have ever been in there after I was slaughtered...

ljkkjlcm9
01-07-2008, 12:50 AM
just realize, that whatever stats you gain on level up are permanent. So you can have a high MP fighter, or high HP mage, if you level up the character in the classes to do so. I never beat it on DS. I wanted to level all my characters Master class, or whatever it's called, to 99 to try and get them high HP

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
01-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Apart from maybe one quest you had to pass in that game.

Each location had some place to level up that would give you slightly higher EXP than normal... allowing for you to level.