PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into FF?

NGU
12-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I got into it at the age of 8 when my friend brought over FF8 that he had rented. A year later my dad had a heart attcak so for a few days I stayed at his house and at the time he got FF7. The year after that I got FF7 then all my other FF's over the years.

ScottNUMBERS
12-21-2007, 12:21 PM
After I got FFVII and become addicted I proceeded on a downward spiral into the oblivion that is geekdom.
In fact, that's my autobiography in it's entirety.

No.78
12-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I decided to branch out in my taste of games, which had so far been Tekken, SoulBlade and Crash Bandicoot. So I saw Final Fantasy 9 in the second hand bit and thought "Eh, I've heard of it, so it must be good."

And thats how it began. I can't remember how old I was, 12?

Anyway I only really became a fully fledged fan at FF10 which I thought was amazing.

Sup3rman
12-24-2007, 10:29 AM
played FF-VII and LOVED it have been hooked ever since

Goldenboko
12-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Naturally I blame PuPu.

Elly
12-24-2007, 02:17 PM
my little brother got FFVII... before that i thaught FF was lame, i was a hardcore Phantasy Star player, and thaught it was lame in FF games that the heroes waved their weapons at the enemies then the enemies would die, wheras in PS the characters actualy got up on their enemies and let them have it... yes i now know that it was a poor reason for disliking the FF Franchise, but have grown to love the storytelling in older FFs now especialy FFVI... i'm no longer judgmental of graphics, and merit the games by their story now, though the waving of the weapons i still view as super silly...

snacks
12-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I thank Jowy/Eric for my introduction into FF.

Jessweeee♪
12-24-2007, 06:00 PM
My uncle bought FFVII and FFVIII, and after watching him play FFVIII a little I decided to try it for myself :p

I thought it was kinda fun, but then there was a horrible incident and the playstation broke, so I didn't play any FFs again until maybe three or four years ago when my friend gave me a copy of FFVIII. It was awesome. I didn't get totally obsessed with the series until I got FFX for my fourteenth birthday, though o:

LunarWeaver
12-24-2007, 06:19 PM
I got VII as a dashing young lad and decided FF is my BFF.

Zora
12-24-2007, 07:08 PM
I am a bit embarrased, but Mario Hoops 3-on-3. Aftewards, I felt a bit ashamed for not playing a FF game but using FF characters, so bought Dawn of Souls. Before I knew it, I bought and played almost every FF game.

rubah
12-24-2007, 09:03 PM
my favorite harry potter fanartist drew other fanart as well, so I was exposed to the idea of certain playstation1 games.

Then it got brought up every so often and I started to wonder what it was, so my friend at my harry potter RPG sent me snes9x and some roms, so I got started on ff5 and never looked back 8)

qwertysaur
12-24-2007, 09:20 PM
I was addicted since my older brother got FF1 for the NES. I loved it so much, even though I never got farther than Astos before starting over.:)

NeoCracker
12-24-2007, 10:18 PM
First I got an SNES with games like Mario, Hook, and Super Bowling. All good fun.

However shortly after, my brother came over with a game called "Final Fantasy II" for it, and I loved it to death. Later I found out our local Rental shop rented SNES Games, and they had a copy of FF III. At first I prefered IV, (For some reason or another), though that quickly changed as I played VI for a while.

OF course, its after FF VI that I actually started playing other RPG's like Lufia, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound.

So, FF IV had started my trek into a world of greatness.

Yuffie514
12-28-2007, 05:43 AM
My brother borrowed Final Fantasy VII/PlayStation from his friend. He was very impressed by it, so he bought his own game and console. And there's how to make a long story short.

Ramza Beoulve
12-28-2007, 06:35 AM
An old FF III (SNES) in Videocentro, but I had seen FF some time before.

Relapse
12-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I had a GBC once and loved the idea of DW3. As i later got a GBA, i found that there were no DWs on it. So i found out about FF1&2 and got hooked.

PuPu
12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Friend got my FF7 as gift when I was ten years old and I hated it. Later, I got FF4, and it became my favorite FF until I got FF6 one year ago.

I never really liked FF7-FF10.

ReloadPsi
12-28-2007, 03:48 PM
A total disinterest in FF7 led to me playing it out of boredom when I turned up to visit a friend who was having dinner. I was invited in and basically ended up going up to his room to "make myself at home". So I somehow gave FF7 a try... he was pretty shocked, I'm way better at the game than he is now, nine and a half years on. Sometime later I ended up downloading ROMs of all the other six; 7 was still fairly new back then.

Bolivar
12-29-2007, 12:39 AM
I had just got a playstation and only had maybe 2-3 games. A good friend of mine who I discussed Genesis RPGs alot with, who was also a huge FF fan, insisted that I had to play FFVII. It was '97 and everyone was going crazy about it... I remember my little brother always watching me play, he told me years later that it was because he didn't want to be left out of all the conversations his friends were having about it at school.

As far as getting hooked, VIII didn't really do much for me, but playing IX (and having played the NES roms) definately got me addicted. Then FFX came out around the same time the next year, bought that a day after getting a ps2 and it was a done deal.

my little brother got FFVII... before that i thaught FF was lame, i was a hardcore Phantasy Star player, and thaught it was lame in FF games that the heroes waved their weapons at the enemies then the enemies would die, wheras in PS the characters actualy got up on their enemies and let them have it... yes i now know that it was a poor reason for disliking the FF Franchise, but have grown to love the storytelling in older FFs now especialy FFVI... i'm no longer judgmental of graphics, and merit the games by their story now, though the waving of the weapons i still view as super silly...

lol don't be ashamed...as someone who had actually played rpg's in the 16-bit era, i was unimpressed the first time I played FFVI (years later though), especially after a friend gave it an outstanding ranking among RPGs. They're all fun games, too, though.

toad626
02-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Back in 94 I was 11 I think, and a friend of mine bought a used Super NES and in his pack of games that came with was non other than Final Fantasy II (IV). His family hated the game. And I asked to borrow it and lent him my Aladdin video game. Turned out we each like each other's game much more, so we decided to make the trade permanent. I got to the deal.lol. Later that year got FF3 (VI).

Strawberry_Mew
02-17-2008, 08:10 AM
I first saw FF8 for the PC and really wanted it and my father bought it for me for X-Mas lol I have been a FF Fan ever since <3 all thanks to my father

hhr1dluv
02-17-2008, 08:22 AM
My first encounter with a Final Fantasy game was probably when I was 11 years-old. A neighbor was babysitting my brother (and myself, I suppose), and he was playing FF7. I remember the game looked like the stupidest video game I had ever seen, because the enemies waited for you to hit them.

Honestly, what got me into FF was Kingdom Hearts. I had always played platformers only, but I loved Disney, so I really wanted KH. KH soon became a huge obsession of mine, and I became interested in the Square characters it introduced. I played FFX next, and then purchased FFVII and FFVIII. I figured I would play only the FF games that were referenced in the KH universe. Somehow, my collection of games expanded to include FFIV, FFVI, FFIX, FFX-2, and FFXII. I love these games now, though I still think I'd have a very hard time convincing my younger cousins to like the games. Honestly, I don't think I would have really appreciated them until I was 13 or 14 years-old, and I was fairly mature for my age. :p

Tabris
02-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I had been at a party, and when I woke up the next day, a friend of mine were sitting with a hangover and playing VIII. I watched it for a while, thinking it looked really great. After that, I forgot about it for several years until I came over FF-X as a Platinum game. I bought it just for the hec of it, and was hooked after Besaid and Kilika.

Rantz
02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
My older cousin gave me and my brother a load of his old movies and a Playstation with some games once, I guess he was just tired of it and decided to give it away. Among those games was Final Fantasy IX.

For a month or so, I just watched my brother play it. I thought it looked super cool and fun, but I didn't want to try it in case I sucked at it. I was like this with a lot of games at the time, don't ask me why. :p

Anyway, one day when my brother wasn't home, I decided to try it anyway. No one could see me sucking now. But I didn't suck, and neither did the game. A few months later I bought VII from a guy in my class for $5. He laughed when the deal was done and went "haha check out the graphics on the back it's a sucky game lolol". He thought he made the best deal ever.

My "collection" now holds VIII and Origins as well, both store bought. I'm planning on buying Anthology when I can, and then I guess I'll try and figure out a way to get III and VI. I've already played parts of IV and VI on emulators though.

theundeadhero
02-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I was in the sixth grade when a friend of mine spent the night and brought over FF1 for us to play over. This was years and years and years ago.

rubah
02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
one of my harry potter rpg friends sent me roms of the snes games and told me to find out what they were like for myself xD

MJN SEIFER
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I got a strategy guide from... somewhere (can't remember but I can remember having it near when I got my PSX, so maybe it was a free gift?) that contained a really cool (IMHO) walkthrough to a game known as Final Fantasy VII. I just read it and I found it... "Intriguing I guess. I eventually got the game and loved it; I eventually continued to get FF stuff.

I loved that guide - it was my favourite one for some reason, but I've now lost it. It had a few errors, and worded certain things in a strange way (I can remember it thought that H05112 or whatever was Jenova for one thing). However it did very well not revealing spoilers (including that spoiler), yet still remained interesting. Something guides fail to do usually.

Big D
02-20-2008, 12:22 AM
My friend had a PlayStation, and he showed me FFVII. I was amazed - "holy crap, a video game with depth and character development!" - and borrowed it briefly, just long enough to get utterly hooked. I eventually got a PS of my own, and received FFVII as a present for my 16th birthday, way back in 1999.

leader of mortals
02-20-2008, 01:51 AM
My brother was an ff fan and I literally learned how to read from FF7(back when I was 4 or so). I got FF8 and didn't like it much, but I played as much as I could(game messed up then). Then my brother had 9 and I played that, thought it was okay at first but now it is by far my favorite. Got X with my PS2, and X-2 later. Kept myself busy with the old games and then I got FF12, which I played a little bit(only enough for one playthrough)

Vermachtnis
02-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Played Mystic Quest at my Mawmaws way back in the day. Someday we rented Final Fantasy II.

Big D
02-20-2008, 02:09 AM
My brother was an ff fan and I literally learned how to read from FF7(back when I was 4 or so). According to your profile, you would've been 9 when FFVII came out. You either learned to read later than average, or you were referring to a much earlier game...

Remedy
02-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I didn't buy any FF CDs, cuz my brother buy them.
it was maybe when I was 15 or so, he bought FF8,9,10,12
the 1st FF game I might buy would be FF XIII + Versus on PS3

Roogle
02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
My family used to have a lot of money to spend on extra luxuries, so Final Fantasy was one of the many titles included in the library of games that I used to play as a child.

My first Final Fantasy title was a playthrough of Final Fantasy IV, so I had enough time and energy to go back and play Final Fantasy to get a deeper understanding of the series up to that point — I wasn't very good at the original, though, and I haven't played it since I was a child —

leader of mortals
02-25-2008, 10:15 PM
My brother was an ff fan and I literally learned how to read from FF7(back when I was 4 or so). According to your profile, you would've been 9 when FFVII came out. You either learned to read later than average, or you were referring to a much earlier game...

lol no I am actually 14, I lied in my profile because I didnt trust the site yet.

JeonRina14
02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Actually when I first came to the US a few years ago from korea I started getting into video games more than I did in korea since i didnt know many people xD lol and my brother was kinda rushing me in a store to pick out a game and he just randomly picked out FF8 for me and I havnt been too open minded about any other games ever since hehe^^

I was alot younger when I first started playing it actually lol so I dont really remeber ever beating it when I first got it, or coming close to understanding that story line. ^^

Crossblades
03-02-2008, 12:37 AM
I was in 6th Grade in 1998. I just became close friends with someone. I had Chrono Trigger at the time. He wanted to borrow it, so I told him to lend me one of his SNES games. He handed FF IV(known as FF II at the time)to me. At first I was bored with it, then his best file got deleted somehow. I told him I was keep his game for a little while longer until I get the file the way he had it before. As I kept playing the game, I was getting into it. The more I played it, the more fun I had with it. After I finished the game, I returned it to him with a file that was a little better than his. Few weeks later, went to Kmart and I saw a used copy of FF VI(known as FF III at the time)It was cheap too. I thought to myself "Hey look. another FF game. Maybe it will be as good as the other one." So I bought it. I went home to play it and I was very pleased it. From that point on, I started to keep track of every FF game that was released and bought it. In other words, FF IV and VI got me into FFs and those two games will always be my top 2 favorites because of it.

mose-schrute
03-02-2008, 09:44 PM
When my friend and I were younger, maybe around 11 or 12 I went over to her house and her older brother was playing FFVIII and we chased him out of the room so we could play and we played up to the dance scene haha. Over the next few years we would play up to that part just to watch it. Then I kind of completely forgot about FF for a long time and I got FFV for the GBA when it came out because I really wanted to get into it and I've been playing ever since. I JUST completed my entire collection (of just the numbered games minus XI) yesterday. Now my interest in video games is more than just an interest in love scenes, don't worry!

Araciel
03-03-2008, 08:23 AM
It's a long and complicated tale, but the majority of it lies with the fact that we got Final Fantasy for NES the day it came out...I think it just appealed to my mom so she bought it.

Thoughtless
03-08-2008, 01:38 PM
My brother showed me the demo for FFVIII when I was around 11, I thought it was great. He bought it later and we both played it, we had a race to the end, I finished it first :). After that I begs my parents to buy me a copy of final fantasy ix when I happened to see it in a store, would've been around a year later.

I'm so glad I played that demo.