PDA

View Full Version : Role Reversal

rubah
12-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Point of thread at end of post: the following is story!

So I made my first "real" topic at a french-speaking forum. It took a while to get my courage up (it's a dolling forum, so one of the members encouraged me to start my doll display thread in the newbie thread I made) and it was a long ordeal! Doll threads always take a long time to compose because you have to find the URLs, the base links, write up commentary etc etc ask for critqueing, but this time, i had to run almost everything i said through google languages to make sure I wasn't saying it very badly xD Fortunately many people there speak pretty good english, so when I got to ideas I had NO idea how to translate, I just (perhaps rudely?;D) switched languages. I mean, if I have no idea how to say it, then using a translator is just cheating! (I employ the same idea when doing my homework xD)

There was another english-speaker who registered around the same time I did; apparently she has just started studying french relatively recently, and replied to my thread 'well you're american, so i guess you speak english?' not the point chica 8)

As I was doing, it occurred to me that this must be kinda like what all the people with a faint grasp of english felt like when posting on the forums I've inhabited all my internet-life. we had a good deal of portugese, malay, spanish, and filipino speaking people at Magic Hogwarts (harry potter is a global phenomenon!), and there are a fair number of europeans (mainly italian and french, but some from the scandinavian countries also) at dolling forums, and WHO KNOWS WHO ALL at eoff (the thing I miss most about mh was the massive number of really fun aZn kids that would come on about 3am. You think Peegies and Jojo are fun! Gosh! (<3 peegies and jojo) kekeekekekeekekeke kek.)

Anyways, have you had a certain feelng of role reversal lately? And no, I don't mean cowgirl.

Old Manus
12-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Don't be embarrassed, the French make about as much effort to learn English as we do to learn French.

Araciel
12-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Don't be embarrassed, the French make about as much effort to learn English as we do to learn French.

Depends on where you live...

Aerith's Knight
12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
from my experience.. and ive been to france about 12 times.. is that the french make absolutely no effort towards learning english, or know it and refuse to use it.. no french person i met there could even speak the most basic english.. had to speak french just to pick up some bread in the morning, in a freaking tourist resort thingie.

Shoeberto
12-22-2007, 04:51 PM
I tried posting at a Japanese language forum, but all I ever really said was です.

Agrias
12-22-2007, 05:40 PM
I hated learning french in school. I figured since i already know Greek, why do i need to learn ANOTHER language. TBH i stopped after grade 9

Araciel
12-22-2007, 07:27 PM
I hated learning french in school. I figured since i already know Greek, why do i need to learn ANOTHER language. TBH i stopped after grade 9

WHY know three languages? You're joking!

I should smack you

..more.

Luther X-Rated
12-23-2007, 01:43 AM
My friends speak jiberish or something and I'm like what the hell!

It's not even a language and they communicate in it so perfect.
It peeves me off when they speak that way just so I can't hear their conversation :/

Ha! U said chica! Just a normal latina girl :)

rubah
12-23-2007, 07:34 AM
no soy latina lo siento8)

Vermachtnis
12-23-2007, 07:36 AM
I took French for a year in High School. The teacher was pretty awesome, but the class was so boring I used it to take naps.