PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall Internet Explorer 7 on Vista

ValiantKnight
12-22-2007, 06:46 PM
ieui.dll was causing faults on a friend of mine's computer when it tried to load internet explorer 7.

He would open Internet Explorer, get 5-10seconds of browsing, then get "Internet Explorer has stopped working, Windows is searching for a solution" generic message.
Internet Explorer would close. All help on Internet Explorer 7 seems to point to disabling Add-ons, and using the Reset settings button. Neither of these helped.

After checking event viewer, I found it was the ieui.dll file that was being faulted. I searched for this file on the computer, and could not find it through windows search. I did not know its usual location, so I did not search any further for it.

Vista from what I can tell, has no way of reinstalling Internet Explorer 7, so I am wondering how to fix this if you don't have a restore point to go back to. I used a 2 day old restore point, and everything started working perfectly, but I know some people don't have system restore active.

So, in short.. if internet explorer 7 in Vista becomes damaged, and since it is part of the operating system, and there is no vista download for Internet explorer 7, how do you reinstall it.

Will the Windows XP version of IE7 work, or is there another way?
Would System File Checker pick it up, or is IE7 really a part of the operating system?

Just for future reference, as his issue is solved for now.

rubah
12-22-2007, 07:58 PM
how did it get solved?

CimminyCricket
12-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Hopefully, Firefox.

Baloki
12-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Go to Add/Remove programs and select repair IE7 from the Windows Components options?

ValiantKnight
12-22-2007, 11:36 PM
I used a 2 day old restore point, and everything started working perfectly

Hmm I will try the repair if it happens again.