PDA

View Full Version : 'Special Edition' Games

LunarWeaver
12-23-2007, 08:43 PM
After discovering they are re-releasing Bully (http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&om_act=convert&om_clk=search&qs=Bully+scholarship+edition) with new content for the 360 and Wii, I realized this is starting to piss me off.

At first I really didn't care, but now this has become almost common practice with games. Release the game, and then later release it all over again with some extra junk and ask you to shell out moolah one more time.

I can forgive Bully because it's being released for other systems at least. And I get they want to lasso in more consumers, but sometimes they come out for the same system exclusively all over again (hi Jade Empire, Dynasty Warriors, Devil May Cry, Fable, all Square-Enix games), and it seems like a slap to the initial buyer :(

Does it piss you off to buy a game only to find that a handful of months later they're adding junk? I mean, why buy MGS4 right away when you just know they're going to release MGS4: Uber Starstuff Edition Now with Playable Raiden and Naked Meryl later? Maybe it's a conspiracy to increase patience.

Release the game as a finished product imho.

Larahl
12-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it pisses me off, as well.
I don't mind waiting some months, or even a year, for those stuff.
I just want to play the full version of the game without missing anything later, especially if it's exclusive to some country.

Rostum
12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Game developers actually have deadlines, as is the case in the real word, by their publishers. So they don't get a chance to add in everything they want to.

It is not as simple as "wait another 6 months for them to finish it fully before releasing it".

XxSephirothxX
12-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Same thing happens with movies, too. And yeah, it's really annoying. However, the upside is that the original creators often get to create the version they wanted, but were originally denied from producing, thanks to time constraints or a money-grubbing studio. Blade Runner: The Final Cut is a fantastic example. And I suppose FFIV DS is getting similar treatment.

Overall, though, rereleases like that are lame and I wish they'd put out the best thing possible at the time. Ninja Gaiden is a horrible example: three versions of the same game! At least they make improvements, but it's certainly frustrating for fans and early adopters.

Markus. D
12-24-2007, 06:40 AM
I liked the special ed of DMC 3 :]

Dolentrean
12-24-2007, 06:50 AM
a special edition is ok by me if it comes out awile after the game first came out and has some worth while attachments to it.

Markus. D
12-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Same thing happens with movies, too. And yeah, it's really annoying. However, the upside is that the original creators often get to create the version they wanted, but were originally denied from producing, thanks to time constraints or a money-grubbing studio. Blade Runner: The Final Cut is a fantastic example. And I suppose FFIV DS is getting similar treatment.

Overall, though, rereleases like that are lame and I wish they'd put out the best thing possible at the time. Ninja Gaiden is a horrible example: three versions of the same game! At least they make improvements, but it's certainly frustrating for fans and early adopters.

Yeah it really sucks how you can't just somehow patch the things :S

It would have made the entire Dynasty Warrior's Series more tolerable >_>... MUCH. more.