PDA

View Full Version : The Pentagram...Evil??really??

LanceOfTime
12-24-2007, 03:32 AM
Is the pentagram really as satanist as everyone makes it out to be?... i mean, i see "rockers" of any kind, metalhead, emo,goth(not even a rocker)...but you get my point...wearing them all the time.....and they arent satanist.....i happen to think its just a cool symbol....and it shows you just how judgemental people really are....if someone rejects you just cuz you're wearing a pentagram then...eff them -.0....yes it may be a satanist symbol....but gay has two meaning....weed has two meaning...not only that things can sometimes change meaning over time....what do you think on this subject?

Dolentrean
12-24-2007, 03:37 AM
First and foremost...to...many...dots...!

Second, The symbol wasnt origonal Satanist, and the reson it was put on shirst in the first place was to be anti-authority and draw that kind of attention.

Third, and still foremost...to...many...DOTS...!

LanceOfTime
12-24-2007, 03:40 AM
lol...thats my form of commas...bad habit.....thanks for telling me that....so its only satanist because some people made it that way...wish my mother knew that...she would feel much better about my attire -.-

blackmage_nuke
12-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Well you could make the same argument with the swastika

Mr Cactuar
12-24-2007, 05:19 AM
It was originally a pagan symbol, and has something to do with the Star of David, I can't really remember, been a long time since I read anything to do with it. But I do remember that it is now the sign for Satan because the Christian Church wanted to create this image that paganism is not right and evil.

Mirage
12-24-2007, 05:23 AM
some people argue that the direction it's drawn matters. Two pointy thingoes up and one down is regarded as satanic. Two down and one up, something else.

Lynx
12-24-2007, 05:30 AM
wiki to the rescue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram)

i tend to think of it as a way of warding off evil more so then being associated with satanist. especially since satanist just flipped it drew a goat inside and threw some hebrew writing on the side and called it evil. i mean atleast its origins and religions put some actual meaning behind it. even though all theyre doing is drawing something and saying it means something as well but first come first served.

also in supernatural they use it to trap demons.

Markus. D
12-24-2007, 05:39 AM
It's more Pagan than Satanic.

And even then, I once was told (years ago now from church) that Christians use to wear it too :]

DarkLadyNyara
12-24-2007, 05:58 AM
No, the pentagram isn't inherently evil. Nor is it inerently satanic. (Then again, I don't see religious Satanism as evil...but that's a whole other topic)

What, exactly, it symbolizes depends on who's using it, but it's generally not used (except by people activly trying to mislead) to represent anything evil.

LanceOfTime
12-24-2007, 06:08 AM
OMFG YOU GUYS ROCK.....it must just be the freakin hicktown i live in....everyone freakin banishes me to hell...or tries(which is funny to watch)....i dont put any meaning behind it....i just always used to draw stars when i was little(ya know, not filled in and still with those lines there)...and i dont know who taught me, but apparently i was drawing pentagrams(one down, two up)....i just like the shape....and well...actively misleading people can be fun to....shows who the judgemental b-stards are

41-Inches-Wide
12-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Your mom is too old to understand your fashion. :nods:

Dolentrean
12-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Glad to help, and you still use Way...to...many...dots... ... ... Ok...

LanceOfTime
12-24-2007, 06:27 AM
is.....it a bad thing....?.....to use dots.....? >.<

41-Inches-Wide
12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
..y......e.....s....

rubah
12-24-2007, 06:47 AM
They're kinda distracting :]

I had some people ask me if I was a witch in sixth grade because someone had given me little earrings that were stars.

LanceOfTime
12-24-2007, 06:49 AM
lol....people kept asking me if i did voodoo when i went to a private christian school...after 5 years i decided to drop out and ended up going to pub school again :D......i would do voodoo if it worked...(coughs)

SammieBabe
12-24-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm Wiccan, and a pentagram is one of our most important symbols. I don't think I'm evil, so, no, its not evil in my opinion.

Quindiana Jones
12-24-2007, 04:32 PM
No, it's not. <s>Anyone who tells you different is stupid.</s>

If I'm correct, the pentagram is the four elements and the spirit, all under human control. Human control being the circle that....circles.

Aerith's Knight
12-24-2007, 04:41 PM
?? a pentagram is a sign of devilworshippers.. devil being evil.. and worshippers actually worshipping evil(evil including murder and such)..

youd think it would stand for evil..

i mean you'll never find one on a hello kitty book

Quindiana Jones
12-24-2007, 05:04 PM
?? a pentagram is a sign of devilworshippers.. devil being evil.. and worshippers actually worshipping evil(evil including murder and such)..

I was expecting that answer from you. That's not a jibe at you though, it's just that I know the pentagram is evil in the eyes of Christians.

So I 'spose the answer is that symbols are different to everyone. How very useful it is to know that. :eep:

I'd pay good money for a Hello Kitty book featuring Devil Worship. Man, that'd be hilarious. :bigsmile:

Skyblade
12-24-2007, 05:10 PM
The pentagram itself is neither inherently evil nor inherently Satanic. The symbol has long been in use by various religions in various cultures throughout history. This has led to an association of the symbol with paganism, which is where the negative view of the symbol comes from.

As a side note, while the ellipsis is a useful tool, and a fun punctuation mark, overuse of it leads to distracting text that tends to detract from your statements. Generally punctuation should help to clarify your text, and overuse of a particular punctuation, especially one such as the ellipsis, which is three characters long, does not achieve that effect. The purpose of an ellipsis is to symbolize an omission, not merely a pause, so remove a few of them, and insert some commas. Still, even massive overuse of punctuation is preferable to l33t-speak, so I'm quite willing to forgive your typing style.

That is not the origin of the symbol or its most common use. The "devil worshippers" who use the symbol simply stole it from other groups, and since their "relegion" is nonsensical and idiotic by nature, I generally tend to ignore them.

Aerith's Knight
12-24-2007, 05:12 PM

I was expecting that answer from you. That's not a jibe at you though, it's just that I know the pentagram is evil in the eyes of Christians.

So I 'spose the answer is that symbols are different to everyone. How very useful it is to know that. :eep:

I'd pay good money for a Hello Kitty book featuring Devil Worship. Man, that'd be hilarious. :bigsmile:

im just looking at it rationally.. devil worshippers are usually the closest thing you can get to evil...

and seeing as a pentagram is their symbol..

it could as well have been a circle with a cross in it.. its not like we control what it is.. except what the definition of evil is..

if we say evil is hello kitty :).. it would be a different story :p

Quindiana Jones
12-24-2007, 05:17 PM
I hardly think it's fair to hate a symbol for people's idiocy, though. Like Skyblade said, you may as well ignore Devil Worship entirely, as it is a load of bollocks. The pentagram's so pretty, it's annoying to see it used by the Dum-Dum Patrol.

Though I 'spose that one should be tolerable of all religions and, if you can worship God, why not Satan? But who knows, I'm only 17 and am still in mixed minds about bloody everything. ;)

SammieBabe
12-24-2007, 06:25 PM
*is off to do especially evil things and just be all around evil in her giant pentacle necklace*

Markus. D
12-24-2007, 07:40 PM
..y......e.....s....

T______________T It's like Seph is Here all over again.

Oh gosh I miss those good days <3

:D

Quindiana Jones
12-24-2007, 08:07 PM
*is off to do especially evil things and just be all around evil in her giant pentacle necklace*

Don't blame your weird evil sexings on your necklace. ;)

LanceOfTime
12-24-2007, 10:09 PM

im just looking at it rationally.. devil worshippers are usually the closest thing you can get to evil...

and seeing as a pentagram is their symbol..

it could as well have been a circle with a cross in it.. its not like we control what it is.. except what the definition of evil is..

if we say evil is hello kitty :).. it would be a different story :p

it is a pretty symbol -.0...i guess thats why everyone wants it

blackmage_nuke
12-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Its just a symbol that can also be a satanic symbol in some cases, Its like how a pen can be a peice of phallic imagery. In most cases it's not, but it can be, now does holding the pen or sucking on the end of it mean youre a homosexual or in the case of a woman, an easy slut? No just like wearing or drawing the pentagram doesnt mean your evil. Just becasue something can represent something, it doesnt always represent it

Avarice-ness
12-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Any symbol can be taken in anyway a person wants too.

I wear a snake charm around my neck because I believe in their balance of neutrality and the snake is suppose to mean a growth, or a journey, much like the journey diamond necklace, COINCIDENCE, No, Shaped like a snake for a reason.

Now when I got this charm back last year, My dad lectured me about how I'm wearing Satan around my neck and that snakes are the uttermost form of demonic evil and that by wearing it, it makes it seem like I worship satan or am a satanist.

I wear it because it's a personal symbol of mine, and it means something to me that it clearly doesn't mean to others. I will prolly keep it around my neck til the day I die.
And I'm clearly not a satanist, nor do I preform any dark rituals.

Symbols that have had a evil veiw in religions tend to be frowned on regardless if they don't have evil intentions.

Also, I thought the upside down pentagram was suppose to be satanic, the pentagram itself is suppose to show the five elements or what not co-existing together to make harmony and everything we know as of now. I dont' find that to be evil.

*cough* Look at it this way. 666 is the number of the beast, lucifer, satan what ever.
Humans gave the devil that number, the devil didn't go "From this point on when it comes to numbers I'll be 666"
Humans were the one's who made that number "evil" not the devil himself.

Not to mention I think satanism is the only religion that uses the pentagram as a sorce of evil. Where's the wiccan/pagan person when we need them.
Then again we're basing good off god arn't we?
Pagans and wiccans arn't liked by god because they're evil, they preform rituals against the holy spirit.
Then again I've done my fair share of mystic rituals back in my "finding religion" days, would that mean I'm evil too?

You have to state your basis of good and keep it for evil.

I don't find pentagrams or snakes evil because I do not believe in god. Therefore I do not associate them with satanism.
I find snakes to be inherently good creatures by nature. Snakes don't bite people unless scared, not 'cause they're evil. They have a bad rap due to religion.

Therefore, Religion makes things evil.
People follow the religion.
People then give symbols meanings of good and evil.

YAY FOR LOGIC.

LanceOfTime
12-25-2007, 01:00 AM
lol religion makes things evil....never better put

DarkLadyNyara
12-25-2007, 01:02 AM

*sigh* Would it kill people to do a bit of reserch before making claims like that? Many religions that use the pentagram don't even believe the devil exists. Kind of hard to worship something you don't believe in. :mad:

Actually, outside of stupid attention whores, does anyone worship the devil? :rolleyes2

Raebus
12-25-2007, 01:03 AM
I worship the 9th dimensional devil dregnor, if you want to know.

Quindiana Jones
12-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I worship the 9th dimensional devil dregnor, if you want to know.

A simple "yes" would've sufficed, you attention whore. ;)

Raebus
12-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Ha, you know my ways far too well, Harle.

Quindiana Jones
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM

I wish you knew my name as well as I know your ways. Wanker. :mad:

Momiji
12-26-2007, 05:00 PM

*cough*

I don't see it as evil, and I'm a Christian. I just see it as another symbol. I mean, I draw them all the time when I'm bored at school. It's just another geometric shape to me.

Raebus
12-26-2007, 05:08 PM

I wish you knew my name as well as I know your ways. Wanker. :mad:

;_;

Quin? =]

Quindiana Jones
12-26-2007, 05:22 PM

*cough*

I don't see it as evil, and I'm a Christian. I just see it as another symbol. I mean, I draw them all the time when I'm bored at school. It's just another geometric shape to me.

Then I apologise for my generalisation. Though I'm sure you understood what I meant.

And yes, Raebus, it's Quin. How could you tell? ;)

Iceglow
12-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Sorry but this is typical "bible basher" christian beliefs usually announced when people actually have little or no idea about what Satanism includes having read the satanists bible I can actually say 90% of it is probably just sociological insights about people rather than secrets of the devil stuff like; The more aggressive and dominant a person in society generally you will find they are the more submissive sexually this is even more true with women. Nothing really evil in that and that was a part of the satanist bible that comes immediately to mind and thats just simple psychology/sociology and it's true I know it for sure. However it is your faith, you deal with it however you like.

The pentagram itself is neither inherently evil nor inherently Satanic. The symbol has long been in use by various religions in various cultures throughout history. This has led to an association of the symbol with paganism, which is where the negative view of the symbol comes from...

*remove useless stuff about typing and a quote by Aerith's Knight*

That is not the origin of the symbol or its most common use. The "devil worshippers" who use the symbol simply stole it from other groups, and since their "relegion" is nonsensical and idiotic by nature, I generally tend to ignore them.

The symbol of the pentagram or pentacle is not as you say inherently evil, same as the swasticka used by the nazi's in ww2, that was a hindu symbol. It all depends on the people who use it.

Later in your post though you say that satanism or devil worshipping is nonsensical and idiotic in nature, same can be said for christianity and every other religion on the planet (no offence intended, nothing personal here just an observation.) Christianity was a collection of old stories and legends compiled in to a single book by a council of men therefore even if originally it was the words of god in the original structure it is EDITED by men and that makes it flawed and just as nonsensical, the old testament contains a story about a man who committed incest and biggotry but he was ok by God's opinion, he later/whenever floods the earth and rains brimstone and fire down on people for the same sort of things. I think the best modern statement I have heard regarding Christianity and it applies to ALL religions really is from dogma where the 13th disciple Rufus and the Metatron say essentially that Jesus never meant for people to take his words as RULES but more as ideals. Religion should never be something dogmatic it is merely "a good idea" 99% of religion no matter what one you look at speaks of the same things in a different wording; it's wrong to kill, it's wrong to commit adultery ect ect ect. Then again I could say the same about several things.

Also something to chew on regarding Christianity; God is all powerful right? he's everywhere, he controls EVERYTHING. Now the Devil is Luicifer, Morning Glory, Angel of Heaven fallen from grace yada yada yada... Angel this one little word gives me something to say. Luicifer and his Demons are God's creations (if the bible is to be believed) Angels were not given freechoice, but Luicifer DEFIES God, sure he paid a heavy price but he defied his maker, the one all powerful being in the universe and he's defied by his own creation. Instead of simply saying; "Hey Luicifer, douchebag, guess what? You forgot 1 thing, I'm GOD I'm all powerful and you know what? You don't exist!" *poof there goes Luicifer and his followers destroyed thus humanity loves God and all follows him ect ect ect no need for Jesus ect ect ect* He merely casts Luicifer down to a place HE CREATED called Hell. Luicifer is then often portrayed by the bible and other religious texts ect to do with Christianity to be GOD's EQUAL and OPPOSITE. This means, 1 of 2 things, God is not all powerful thus giving weight to the claim there is no God because God is ALL powerful but he isn't, or Luicifer, the devil doesn't exist. Now some will argue that God has the power of creation only yet: Power of Creation ONLY is not ALL POWERFUL hence see option 1 of 2 and even if he did only have the power of creation he could simply create something completely loyal to him powerful enough to destroy Luicifer and his legions. Now the other option means no hell. No hell = no heaven = no god they're 2 sides of the same coin good and evil one cannot exist without the other. God cannot be all powerful and yet not be able to afford to destroy Luicifer. I'm not saying I don't believe or that I do believe I personally will believe there's Gods out there when one comes up to me and offers proof they exist.

KuRt
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Pentagrams were used symbolically in ancient Greece and Babylonia. The pentagram has magical associations, and many people who practice Neopagan faiths wear jewelry incorporating the symbol. Christians once more commonly used the pentagram to represent the five wounds of Jesus, and it also has associations within Freemasonry.

The pentagram has long been associated with the planet Venus, and the worship of the goddess Venus, or her equivalent. It is also associated with the Roman Lucifer, who was Venus as the Morning Star, the bringer of light and knowledge. It is most likely to have originated from the observations of prehistoric astronomers. When viewed from Earth, successive inferior conjunctions of Venus plot a nearly perfect pentagram shape around the zodiac every eight years.

NOT SATANIC. So all you "blaaaargh i haf 666 and pentagram on my shirt i luv devil" are doing it wrong.

Raebus
12-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I followed a "how to worship Satan" guide on the net. It told me to dress in black with the pentagram sign on the shirt and go on about how I use it to get in touch with the devil.

SammieBabe
12-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Where's the wiccan/pagan person when we need them.
Then again we're basing good off god arn't we?
Pagans and wiccans arn't liked by god because they're evil, they preform rituals against the holy spirit.
Then again I've done my fair share of mystic rituals back in my "finding religion" days, would that mean I'm evil too?

Been here all along!
The things about Wicca is that being there's no central dogma, there's many different answers to each question. Any answers I give are mine and mine alone.
I see the pentagram, or pentacle, as a representation of the elements. Earth, Air, Fire, Water and the Spirit, being the most important, at the top. What I've been told and read about Satanists, is that since part of true Satanism is self indulgence, they use the pentacle turned upside down, to put the spirit at the bottom. They believe they need to give in to earthly temptations before spiritual needs. Also, it could be seen as being similar to the head of a goat, which is a Satanic thing as well. Why, not sure.
It is a powerful symbol, yes. But its how you take that power into you. Cops take it as a symbol that gives them power to uphold the law. Are they evil? Depends who you talk to. Wiccans and Neo-Pagans use it as a way to channel the Goddess and show the interconnectedness ( Is that a word? It is now!) of all things. LaVeyan Satanists, use it to put themselves above all else, or so I've read.
It's all about how you see it, kids. :)
*hates getting serious in GC :( *

Dr.M
12-27-2007, 12:11 PM
in short... up = good. down = bad. not that i care, just what i know and thats limited.

Momiji
12-29-2007, 03:02 AM

*cough*

Then I apologise for my generalisation. Though I'm sure you understood what I meant.

And yes, Raebus, it's Quin. How could you tell? ;)

Of course I did. It's GC, I can joke around, can't I? :p

Quindiana Jones
12-29-2007, 12:26 PM
NO.

demondude
12-29-2007, 12:27 PM
General chat = Serious business

Quindiana Jones
12-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Exactly.

eestlinc
12-29-2007, 03:23 PM
the upside down pentagram is used as a symbol of Satan because the two stars pointing up resemble horns. the symbology surrounding horns is pretty complex, generally linked to sexuality.

Big D
12-29-2007, 10:33 PM
A pentagram might have some associations with forms of devil worship, but that doesn't mean it's always or even usually the case. I've been a Masonic hall where there was a pentagram on the wall - a five-pointed star containing icons representing the six areas of knowledge and learning. There couldn't be anything less evil.

:Edit:
Anyone else seen Fritz Lang's Metropolis? Lots of pentagrams in that film, both regular and inverted.

Dolentrean
12-29-2007, 10:52 PM
:confused: This is still going on?

Quindiana Jones
12-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I've been a Masonic hall where there was a pentagram on the wall - a five-pointed star containing icons representing the six areas of knowledge and learning. There couldn't be anything less evil.

Considering it was Satan who "enlightened" Adam and Eve to the ways of knowledge and learning, the pentagram is evil in that sense.

That's not me arguing against you, just putting that point out there.

DarkLadyNyara
12-31-2007, 08:14 AM
I've been a Masonic hall where there was a pentagram on the wall - a five-pointed star containing icons representing the six areas of knowledge and learning. There couldn't be anything less evil.

Considering it was Satan who "enlightened" Adam and Eve to the ways of knowledge and learning, the pentagram is evil in that sense.

That's not me arguing against you, just putting that point out there.

Except that the pentagram is not always (or even usually) used to represent Satan.

eestlinc
12-31-2007, 08:19 AM
what a symbol is intended to represent and what it gets interpreted as representing are two different things. You can't really ignore the collective symbology.