PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a PS3 to a computer monitor

starseeker
12-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Would connecting a PS3 with output at 720p to a computer monitor be a very stupid idea or would it work? It's the only way, short of buying a new TV, that will allow my American PS3 to play European PS3 games.

XxSephirothxX
12-24-2007, 08:07 PM
It should work fine, if your computer monitor has an HDMI input. If it doesn't, you'll likely want to buy an HDMI-DVI cable (assuming your monitor has a DVI input), which should also work. It largely depends on the age of your monitor. If it's an LCD, there may be a little fiddling required, but it should work fine. If it's an older CRT, it's probably not going to work, but since you said 720p I'm assuming it's LCD. I'm also not aware of how much of a problem the whole NTSC/PAL thing will be.

starseeker
12-24-2007, 08:13 PM
The problem is that the game is PAL and 720p, but the PS3 only outputs NTSC, 720p and 1080i. This is probably stupid, but what's a DVI input? And what shape is it? As far as I can tell, the monitor lacks HDMI input and has what looks like a yellow video input.

XxSephirothxX
12-24-2007, 08:20 PM
http://www.jdr.com/interact/..\images\products\C\cbl-hdmi-dvi.jpg
HDMI (small) and DVI (large)

If it's a computer monitor, I'd be surprised if it had composite input at all (classic red+white audio, yellow video), so I'm not sure what your yellow video input is. Can you post a picture of the back of your monitor?

starseeker
12-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I'll post a picture as soon as I can find a working digital camera.

Mirage
12-25-2007, 03:29 PM
A CRT monitor should be able to do it, if you've just got a converter from DVI to VGA. All computer monitors can do progressive scan anyway, and I think you'll have a hard time finding one that can't do 720 vertical lines :p.

starseeker
12-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I only have LCD monitors. And it appears that it only takes VGA input.