PDA

View Full Version : Buying textbooks

Disco Potato
12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
I've been buying textbooks each quarter from my school's bookstore, but last quarter I had to buy the new version of every book I needed and got completely fed up with the prices :p. So, does anyone know of any good sites or stores (in Southern California) for buying used textbooks? I've checked Amazon and their prices on used books seems good, but is there anything better?

Thanks! :)

Heath
12-27-2007, 09:20 PM
There are always the more general websites to try and get books from. eBay might be worth a look. I see you're in the US otherwise I'd suggest something like Book Depository which is a UK site. Perhaps try looking at the publishers' websites? Whatever you do, you could do worse than Amazon as it's generally a decent site.

Kirobaito
12-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Cheap Textbooks, Used College Textbooks, Used College Books, Discount Textbooks! (http://www.cheapesttextbooks.com) gives you a survey of a bunch of different places and what they're charging.

rubah
12-28-2007, 04:25 AM
oh I just remembered!

bigwords.com <-- cooler looking than casey's link and they gave me free stickers.

(I haven't tried them, mainly because I don't have to pay for my books myself ;o)

Roto13
12-30-2007, 04:58 PM
There were a couple of things I did to get around textbook prices. The first thing I did was check the campus library. Also, I sent out a mass email to everyone who might have taken the courses last semester or last year and offered to buy their books. Whenever you see a new edition of a textbook, odds are it's just a money grab. Compare the new edition with the one before it and you'll usually find that the only difference is a couple of chapters have been switched around. That means it's really easy to get around.

I borrowed and scanned a few books into my laptop, too. :P That was a lot of work, though. It was more because I loathe the textbook companies and refuse to give them any of my money. Sticking it to the man and whatnot.