PDA

View Full Version : FFT class review #5: Divine Knight.

The Amazing Spiderman
12-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Greetings, everyone.

I hope you had a great christmas and spend a lot of time with those you love. And I hope you got lots of gifts, too!

Well, today's review is about the Divine Knight, only playable as Mediadoul in the game. (Playable without hacking!)

She joins your party in chapter 4. And we will focus our reviews on her today.

http://finalfantasy.com.br/materias/kazuya/004_jobimg/divineknoght.gif
(Fanart of Meliadoul I found on google. Like it?)

Divine Knight

Job requirements: Meliadoul only. Starting job.

Sprite: Meliadoul has a green shrine knights hood and golden armor. As far as I know, you don't know her hair's color.

Weapons: Swords, Knight Swords, bags, shields. She can even equip spears and crossbows!

Helmets: Helmets, Hair ornaments.

Armor: Armor and Robes.

BG-57'a review on the Divine Knight:

Here we go:

Divine Knight

Prerequistes: None, but restricted to Meliadoul, Vormav, and Rofel.

Role: Offensive

Sprites: Hooded green cloak over golden armor.

Default Weapons: Knight Sword, Sword, Crossbow, Spear, Bag, Shield

Default Helmet: Helmet

Default Armor: Clothes, Armor, Robes

Compatible: Works well with any support skill such as Item or Math Skill.

Mighty Sword

Key: Must Have Useful Pass

Shellburst Stab: HP damage and destroys target's armor. Makes a foe more vunerable to damage.

Blastar Punch: HP damage and destroys target's helmet. Mildly useful.

Hellcry Punch: HP damage and destroys target's weapon. Excellent ability.

Icewolf Bite: HP damage and destroys target's accessory. Limited usefulness.

Counter Tackle: Handy early on, but gets eclipsed quickly by better reaction skills.

Equip Axe: Almost useless. Axes are variable in damage and rarely the weapon of choice.

Monster Skill: Useful if allied monsters are in the party.

Defend: Initially helpful.

Move +1: Always nice to have early on.

Setups:

Invunerable Breaker

This is fun to try: equip Meliadoul with Maintenance and send her out to destoy human foes, yet her own equipment is perfectly safe.

Mighty Sword
Math Skills
MP Switch
Maintenance
Move +2

Chaos Blade
Venetian Shield
Grand Helmet
Maximillian
Setiemson

Overall Rating: 7. Meliadoul does tremendous damage against human foes, but is hampered against monsters since her Mighty Sword cannot hurt them. Also her skillset is anticlimatic since you get Orlandu earlier and his skills include Mighty Sword and more.

Nevertheless, her ability to equip the heaviest armor and best knight swords in conjunction with perfumes make her the most formidable female character after Agrias.

The Amazing Spiderman
12-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Here goes my review:

The Divine Knight is one of the unique classes you'll get in the game that are avaiable to just some Non-Generic units. In the case of the Divine Knight, you get Meliadoul with this job.
There are other characters that have this class, too, but unless you're using Gameshark, FFTastic, etc, you won't be using them.
I won't get involved with Meliadoul's storyline here, to prevent spoilers and all those things.

The thing is, that this class is like a Knight on steroids. With the "Mighty Sword" Ability you can break your opponent's equipment and deal a lot of damage to them, with a 100% success. But, as good as it sounds, it has its cons, because you can't use the same ability twice on an opponent - once you break a piece of equipment, the ability that breaks that equipment can't be used again.
And the worst case scenario, this class abilities won't help you against monsters. They don't have equipment.

Well, let's go to the review of the class:

1 being the lowest, 5 the highest.

Things you must know about the Divine Knight:

- The "Mighty Sword" ability can only be used if you have a Sword or a Knight Sword equipped.

- The ability will fail if your opponent doesn't have that piece of equipment that it destroys.

- If your opponent has two weapons, you will break the top one first, if you use the "Hellcry Punch" twice, it'll destroy the bottom one.

Primary Ability:

Mighty Sword:

General Damage formula for all the skills:

PA * WP

Shellbust Stab
Break the enemy's armor and deals damage.

Pretty straightforward, eh. This ability is good. You'll deal damage and destroy the armor, leaving the opponent more weak for a final blow, he'll lose hp, and the hp boost from the armor, leaving them with almost no ho the defend themselves.

Blastar Punch
Break the enemy's helmet and deals damage.

It's a good ability to deal damage, but destroying helmets isn't as great as breaking the armor. Althought sometimes it's worth it, if you're breaking a Thief Hat,a Golden Hairpin, or one of the headbands.

Hellcry Punch
Breaks the enemy's weapon and deals damage.

This one, on my opinion, is the best one to learn. By breaking the opponent's weapon you'll weaken him enough that if s/he attack you you won't lose a lot of hp, or even making them almost useless. For example, archers. Without a bow, they're piece of cake. And, you deal damage.
Learn this one ASAP.

Icewolf Bite
Breaks the enemy's accesory and deals damage.

This ability has a lot of potencial, depending of which accesory your enemy is wearing. It'll be very useful if they have equipped a feather mantle, a bracer....but sometimes, you just prefer to destroy their weapon or armor anyway.
But when you reach the part of the game where almost all the generic units have a Feather Mantle equipped, this skill will help a lot.

Reaction Abilities:

Counter tackle:
Uses "Dash" against enemies.

This reaction ability is good when you're starting, or when you don't have any good reaction skill, but it gets overshadowed by better ones. Like Counter.

Support Abilities:

Equip Axe
Allows the unit to equip an Axe.

Don't. Ever. Use. It.

Monster Skill
Allows an Ally monster to use a special secret ability when it aside the unit equipped with this skill.

May come in handy when you use a lot of monsters. Use it with Behemoths, Hydras, and the Red Chocobo for better results.

Defend
Adds "Defend" to your action command. Takes a defensive stand, doubling all of your evasion %.

Well, it's not that bad. If you have a feather mantle, or a shield, using defend will help you prevent your unit from taking any damage!
and, it comes more handy if you combo it with abandon, as it quadruples the evasion!
So, try Feather Mantle + Defend + Abandon. It can be useful.
But there are better things to use with your units. And there's this skill called Bladegrasp. =P

Gained JP UP.

Increases JP earned in battle.

A must have. What's more, you must learn this as fast as you can with ANY unit. It will help you gain more Jp and master the classes more quicker!

Movement Abilities:

Move + 1
Increase you moving range by 1.

Get this one. Then replace it with Move + 2 or Teleport.

Setup:

Divine Eradicator:

Excalibur /Rune Blade
Rune Blade
Ribbon
Robe of the Lords / Wizard Robe
Chantage

Mighty Sword
Draw Out
Blade Grasp
Two Swords
Move + 2 / Teleport

This setup is focused for meliadoul to have another option for attacking when you can't use the Mighty Sword, or you are facing Monsters: Use Draw Out. Althought it's not of a great MA boost it has, it is enough to deal decent damage. And most of all, abuse the use of kiyomori and masamune for you allies. It's your choice to use either Exaclibur for more power or rune blade for more MA boost.
Ribbon, Robe of the Lords, and Chantage, will make her a hard to beat inomrtal tank.

Overall rating:

Pros:

- The use of Knight Swords, armors and with combination with the use of perfume makes Meliadoul unstoppable.
- A great asset in history battles, as you'll face a lot of humans most of the time.

Cons:

- Overshadowed by Orlandu and Agrias. =(
- Useless against monsters, skill wise. Doesn't stop her or makes her useless, as she can kill them, anyway. And when you're training her, as the worst case scenario, most of the time you'll face monsters. You'll have trouble using her skills on ramdom battles.

Well, that's all!

Thanks for reading!

Post your comments or critics, we will be glad to read them.

Until next time and Happy new year!

Roogle
12-28-2007, 02:35 PM
I will not review the Divine Knight class, but I thought that it would be pertinent to point out that the skills of this job class, in the Playstation Portable version of the game, can affect all enemies regardless of their equipment.

BG-57
12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Here's one I did a few years back. I assumed her hair was brown.

I always found her a facinating character. In many ways she's a reflection of Ramza.