PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 favorite and least favorite anime series

Momiji
12-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Topic: Name your top 5 favorite and LEAST favorite (read: most hated) anime series. However, you must explain why you like or dislike them.
Note: You can post more than five, of course.

Please, and this goes to everyone, do not get all pissed off when someone puts your favorite anime in their least favorite list or when someone puts your least favorite in their favorite. It would be nice if this thread didn't end in an arguement. Besides, they have explain why they like or don't like it, and you may feel the opposite way for that same reason. So please everyone, act mature.

My lists:
Favorite
1. Chobits
This is easily my favorite anime ever. I loved the story, the animation, the soundtrack, everything! It was funny in the right moments and sad in the right moments as well. Everything seemed to be perfectly set up. I also like how there are deeper meanings to things in the series.

2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
I like this one for basically the same reason I liked Chobits (I just liked Chobits more). The characters were unique, the storyline was great, maybe a little difficult to understand at first, but great nevertheless, and the soundtrack was fantastic!

3. Azumanga Daioh
I am eternally grateful to Behold the Void for suggesting this one to me. It's absolutely hilarious, every single second of it. The humor is only enhanced by the characters, who each add humor to the series in their own special way. Not to mention that Chiyo and Osaka are hilarious in themselves.

4. His and Her Circumstances
To me, this series is like a fantastic work of art. It has a storyline that many people can relate to, along with some really funny parts. However, I sort of dislike how repetitive the episodes get (lots and lots of flashbacks).

5. FLCL
Short but sweet in only 6 episodes. It IS a bit hard to follow at first, but you'll get it if you watch it more than once. It's really funny and has a great ending song, along with innovative animation styles.

6. Negima
Sure, the story isn't the best and the whole series seems to be like Harry Potter plus an entire class of anime school girls, but for some reason, I really enjoyed this one.

Honorable mention: Full Metal Alchemist
This was really what got me interested in anime. The storyline is great and the characters are as well, not to mention the animation was good as well. However, it just falls short in my eyes.

And now, my least favorites. I'm going to make a lot of people mad on this one, so please follow the rules I posted above.

5. Dragon Ball Z
I HATED this anime. The story was boring, the fights were repetitive, and the humor was dry. Not to be confused with the original Dragon Ball, which I DID like.

4. One Piece
I couldn't even sit through a full episode. I thought it was extremely boring.

3. Anything past the first Pokémon series
I liked the first series, but after that, the storyline stagnates and becomes repetitive. I never cared for the lousy sense of humor the series had, either.

2. Yu-Gi-Oh!
I loved the card game. Really. I did. But come on-- a SERIES based on it?! Not to mention the stupid 'heart of the cards' thing.

1. Naruto
Yes. Naruto. What makes me hate this the most is the massive fanbase it has. It has a dumb storyline and boring characters. The concept of the series is a good idea, but it was executed horribly. This whole series is awful. Believe it.

Honorable Mention: Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
What the heck is this?!

Aerith's Knight
12-28-2007, 06:20 PM
i dont even know that many anime series

blackmage_nuke
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I dont have alot to say because ive only ever watched about 5 anime series but i hope your not basing some of your opinions soley on their english version because thats sort of like saying a song sucks after youve only heard a remix but not the original. If youre not thats cool, but if you are i guess its your own loss.

Momiji
12-28-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont have alot to say because ive only ever watched about 5 anime series but i hope your not basing some of your opinions soley on their english version because thats sort of like saying a song sucks after youve only heard a remix but not the original. If youre not thats cool, but if you are i guess its your own loss.

It isn't just the dubbing, although that plays a major part. I look into storylines as well, and if I don't like the story or animation in English, what makes you think I'd like it in Japanese?

Polaris
12-28-2007, 08:49 PM
5. Dragon Ball Z

3. Anything past the first Pokémon series

2. Yu-Gi-Oh!

wow you actually consider them anime... me and my bro don't even consider that anime! One anime that I find too brilliant is Ghost In the Shell! Honestly i gave up watching it coz it was so confusing :( Or perhpas I'm too dumb ;_;

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
1. Sailor Moon
It was my first anime that I really got into. So there is the whole nostalgia factor. While the dub is quite painful to watch, I cannot really stand much of the first season in either sub or dub format. It only gets good for me once all the Rainbow Crystals have been gathered. Besides that, the story evolves beautifully getting more complex in later seasons. By far my favourite season is the last, Sailor Stars. Usagi is an amazing character. Yes, the meatball head klutz. The great thing about her is that she knows she is far from perfect and admits her flaws, yet as a person she is pretty awesome. She stands her grounds and fights for what she believes in. Truly deserving of being Sailor Cosmos. Plus the manga is pretty sweet and just makes it that much better (the last arc is awesome). Plus Michiru and Haruka are like my all-time favourite anime couple. Yes, me who loves Boys' Love (male-male relationships) favourite couple are lesbians.

2. Loveless
Two things that are attractive are: scoring and the beauty of the art. Ritsuka is quite the interesting 12 year old to boot, I mean he reads Nietzche. It is quite an interesting series for such a short run, though hopefully there will be another season as more volumes of manga are created. The whole spell-battle system is very interesting.

3.Kyou Kara Maou!
You know how anime series, especially those shounen, go on and on for seasons filled with fillers and you simply want to pain to end? KKM! is a wonderful series that is long (78 episodes and a fw OVAs) but spreads the fillers enough to give you a chance to relaxe from the main plot without forgetting about it for a whole season. It does have undertones of BL in it, like Yuuri getting (accidentally) engaged to Wolfram or Gunter's nose bleed when Yuuri wears a thong. But overall, it has a good balance of hilarity and seriouesness. It is a light-hearted series that can be enjoyed by many.

4.Zegapain
A mech anime set in a post-apocalyptic future? OMFG IT IS EVA ALL OVER AGAIN. Before the little Eva fanboys and fangirls get their pants in a wad, it is far from being an Eva rip. Zegapain is a well done anime, that makes you think a bit. It questions what qualifies as human-life since humans are reduced to quatum data as they were wiped out by a virus. They fight the Guardsom who are sentient computer like beings with human bodies. It brings to mind what truly makes us humane. Quite a nice anime for those mech fans out there.

The next would be pretty hard for me to decide. It is basically a four-way-tie between: Ouran, Escaflowne, Mushishi and Fushigi Yuugi. All good in their own right. Ouran High School Host Club is a wonderful comedy, Escaflowne is a beautiful steam-punk mech anime with a wonderful OST, Mushishi is amazing and Fushigi Yuugi is classic (though maybe the least deserving of the 5th place).

As for my least favourite:

5. Serial Experiment Lain
*hides from Roto and gang of people who are about to kill me*
It seems like a good anime and has a very interesting premise but I simply cannot get into enough to get pass episode 5. I hear by the 7th episode it picks up, but I just cannot get into it. I am far from hating the series, and think that it is pretty interesting just not enough to keep me into it. Simply not my type of anime. Maybe in the future, this will be remedied since the first time I watched Cowboy Bebop I did not like it, though evetually I did come to like it. Ed is <3.

4. Saiyuki
I dunno if it was the crappy version I had, but I just could not get into this series either. I hear good things about the manga but the anime was just...ugh.

3. DBZ
It was good when I was 10. Thankfully I am no longer 10. Namek taking 5 episodes to blow up when it was suppose to blow up in 20 seconds? Yeah, even that young I realized it was messed up. Still entertaining, just something I rather never watch again.

4. Meine Liebe
I had heard good things about this. Also I heard that there was suppose to be some BL action into it. On both fronts I was greatly disappointed. It is like this weird parallel-universe-school-life-Renaissance-Europe anime that fails to deliver. I watched all 12 episodes and found my time wasted.

5. Meine Liebe Wieder
Sequel to the aforementioned series. I think I got two episodes into it before I realized I was wasting my time.

blackmage_nuke
12-28-2007, 09:50 PM

It isn't just the dubbing, although that plays a major part. I look into storylines as well, and if I don't like the story or animation in English, what makes you think I'd like it in Japanese?

Some times they way its expressed changes with language and sometimes its the little things that they change in dialogue all adding up rather than the overall plot. For example sometimes instead of using a phrase because of some awkward wording the dubbers might choose to change it to a more common phrase, this can make the plot feel cliched and doesnt have the same impact and that leads to not absolute hate but the gradual dislike of the entire story. Its almost as important as the back ground music in setting the mood.

I guess if you REALLY hate the overall storyline its not gonna help any but the way some things are originally expressed can make some lines which you previously observed to have a completely different meaning and gets better characterisation.

Ramza Beoulve
12-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Let's see...

Favorite

1. Mushishi

There's something about this anime that I cannot explain. It doesn't have an extreme plot or things other new animes have, but it shines by itself with everything it has to show. Sadly, not many know about it.

2. Gankutsuou

Wow. Just... wow. Based in an excellent story, with an excellent animation and excellent songs and voices. Sadly, some people cannot get the animation style.

3. GTO

The funniest thing I have seen in my life, I would love to have a professor like that xD.

4. Caballeros del Zodiaco (Knights of the Zodiac)
A classic here in México, I actually grew up with KotZ and DB, and with the addition of the Hades saga I have more reasons to like it :D.

5. La visión de Escaflowne (The Vision of Escaflowne)

Wonderful, I love the story, the characters, and the animation. One of the first animations I saw. Just... great.

Runner up. Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z

You know, sadly, all the people that have said that DBZ sucked have something in common: They saw it in English in USA. That's maybe the worst error someone can do when they are seeing anime. Sadly, a lot of anime in USA get censored a lot of things, and changed more. And it's lame that they think that's the ultimate edition and that they will never see it again, not even in japanese IMHO. But yeah, you can think whatever you like :).

Thankfully, I saw it in México, complete, and without censorship. It is great, and I love it :).

Least Favorite

2. Dragon Ball Z (USA version)

This version really sucked, and the song they used in the intro sucked more. Thankfully, I saw it just once. God, how could have they censored it that much!?

1. Naruto

I just don't like it.

Actually, there isn't a lot of anime that I don't like, but most of the anime I have seen is old, what could happen if I get to start to see more actual anime? :confused:

Vermachtnis
12-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Favorites

1. Azumanga Daioh
Go Team Seaslugs! It's just so completely epic. Everything about it.

2. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Who doesn't want to meet an alien, time traveler, or esper. I love how it's done too, it seems real.

3. Fate/stay night
A serious anime on my list o_0. I love the animation style and the characters. Archer caught me guard.

4. Saber Marionnette J
Again, I like all the characters. Except for Faust, I hate him. I feel bad for Tiger too.

5. Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu
Can't have an anime list without a mech anime. And Bonta-kun counts as a mech! I love how the well trained Sergent gets taken down by a paper fan.

Honorable Mentions: Tenchi Muyo!, Excel Saga, Elfen Leid, Digimon, FLCL

Least Fav.
1. Blood +
Just couldn't get into it. Too gorey for me (if you ignore that Elfen Leid made it to honoable mentions)

2. Cutie Honey
Way way way way too pervy! From the name I thought it was a parody like Pretty Sammy, but I was wrong. Never ever watch Cutie Honey.

Roto13
12-29-2007, 01:52 AM
*jabs Summoner of Leviathan with a pitchfork*

Favourite:

1. Serial Experiments Lain

This was the first anime I ever saw that made me take anime seriously. It's amazingly deep and leaves a lot for you to think about later.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion

I like it for a lot of the same reasons I like Lain. :P

3. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

It's hard to explain why I like this anime to people who haven't seen it. It just has a certain charm that's impossible to resist. All of the characters are so likeable. Also, there's a Phoenix Wright parody scene, so instant win.

4. Texhnolyze

See Serial Experiments Lain. :P (It shares a lot of the same key creators.)

5. Vision of Escaflowne

Giant fighting robots, schoolgirl love, swords, dragons, alternate worlds. It has something for everyone, really.

Honourable Mention: Hellsing

The soundtrack is awesome, the animation is cool, the characters are badass, but it gets kind of ridiculous later on.

Elfen Lied

OMG BOOBZ N BLOOD!!!1!!! Yeah, it has a lot of intense violence and too many giant boobs, but when you get past that there's a very sad story to be told.

Least Favourite:

5. Dragon Ball GT

I actually liked most of Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball GT is where it hits the fan, though. Prolly cause Akira Toriyama didn't have a whole lot to do with it.

4. Sailor Moon

The number of apparently-heterosexual adult males who obsess over this show scares me.

3. Sonic X

Stupid, stupid show. Takes the Sonic Adventure games and makes them more cheesey. Also, I dunno if it's just in the dub (probably) but the music is GRATING!

2. Kirby Right Back At Ya

It has almost nothing to do with the Kirby games. Why can Kirby only say his name? Is he a Pokemon?

1. Naruto

I EAT NARUTARDS!

NeoCracker
12-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Least Favorite.

4. Blue Gender (Can't really remember why actually :P)

3. Gundam Seed - I'm not really a big gundam fan, but damn, this one is horrid. I didn't like any of the characters, and it seemed entirely to unoriginal.

2. Divergence Eve - This show only has one thing going for it, Fan service. And it even fails in that department, as your only fan service is unattractively large breast.

1. FLCL - Yes, this is easilly my most hated anime. The jokes were dull, the character designs dulled me, and even the plot was lacking. It never seemed like a very well told coming of age story to me either. Overall, there is not a single thing I liked about this show, except for the fact its only 6 episodes.

Favorite: (This ones HArd)

5. Azumanga Daioh - Close call for number 4 for me. Kimura and Osaka are by far my favorite Characters. Much love for Osaka.

4. Ouran(SP?) High School Host Club - Those twins were awesome. Also, I loved all of the characters, and I found the humor to be just a notch above Azumanga.

3. Welcome to the NHK - IF every there was a great show that delved into how messed up a human mind could get, this is it. Great characters, realistic Situations (Well, that last scene is kinda pushing that a bit though, :P), and when its funny, it is freaking Hilarious. She tried to coax him away from an MMO by dressing as a Cat Girl, lol.

2. Paranoia Agent - This is a perfect example of using surreal concepts. A serial Killer born out of shear Paranoia and fear, how can one get more surreal then that?. But yes, the Ideas behind lil slugger and that little pink doggy, Mamori (SP?) were simply genius.

1. Cowboy Bebop - The greatest anime of all time. Amazing Characters, awesome stories, and a perfect ending. Even the Bebop movie was simply spectacular. In addition, the music in show goes perfectly with every scene, and is equally amazing outside of the anime.

qwertysaur
12-29-2007, 03:33 AM
Favorite

5: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
After years of crap, the pokemon anime actually gets good again. 4Kids losing the dubbing rights also helped improve the quality of the dub.:)

4: Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu
This anime is great. I have yet to meet somebody who has watched it and not find it funny.

3: Princess Mononoke
I love this movie. It is beautifully written, and has a great story.

2: Digimon Adventure
I grew up with this one, and still watch it today. And patamon is so cute. Boom Bubble!

1: Katekyō Hitman Reborn!
I love this anime. It has a great balance of plot and humor. Watch it!

Honorable mention
All of the other Miyazaki Movies. I love his work.

Least Favorite

5: InuYasha
The end was way to abrupt in the anime. The manga is great though.

4: Dragonball series
The series is good, but it feels too drawn out and repetitive for me.

3: Naruto
The fanbase is ruining this series for me. I hope the series ends soon before the quality begins to slip and become repetitive. The dub also has an annoying voice for Naruto.

2: Mach GoGoGo (Speed Racer)
The dub is horrible. It makes a 4Kids dub seem good in comparison.

1: Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
This anime makes absolutly no sense. Some random is good, but this is too much.

NeoCracker
12-29-2007, 03:36 AM
I like Bobobo though. :( Whats with all the hate?

Spatvark
12-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Haibane Renmei:
By the guy who came up with Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze (god that show was depressing) and NieA Under 7, Yo:skull::skull::skull::skull:oshi ABe, it's more akin to a lighter-hearted Lain. From the awesome music, the great animation, the lovely characters and the slowly developing but wonderful story, but not forgetting the overarching sense of mystery as to the true nature of the Haibane, it's just a series I can't understand anyone not liking.

Monster:
Naoki Urasawa is like, the greatest mangaka alive, I swear, and Monster is his magnum opus. This anime adaptation of the hit series is virtually a scene-by-scene recreation, just as it should be, and as such, while it isn't exactly better than the manga, it's no worse either. I guess it just comes down to which medium you prefer. I love this kind of story, something that gets me going "Holy :skull::skull::skull::skull:!" at all the plot twists and revelations, and I can't recommend this highly enough. Both the anime and the manga are what I'd recommend to someone who is somewhat sceptical about either as a mature storytelling medium. The only problem is that it's 74 episodes long.

Fullmetal Alchemist:
When you compare FMA to Monster, they're really quite different in their adaptations. While Monster is absolutely faithful, Fullmetal Alchemist (which is no relation whatsoever to the Full Metal Panic series) is slightly different from the get-go, and only diverges further as the series goes on. While I'd definitely say the manga is better, that's not to look down upon this. Awesome animation, especially the fight scenes, a nice and twisty plotline, and the true nature of the homunculi is just utterly fantastic (better than the manga's version, I think). Again though, this is a fairly long series; 51 episodes and a movie, and to be fair, while the movie is gorgeous, it's a poor cap to an awesome series.

Kaleido Star:
And now for something completely different. Kaleido Star is very much a feel-good anime, one of those "Chasing your dream" stories that the Japanese do so love. One of the things I did enjoy about this show so much is that they totally pushed romantic relationships aside for the main characters as they press onwards with their hopes. The animation is gorgeous, especially in the surreal acrobatic scenes, and while there are distinctly daft scenes that sometimes bug the hell out of me, I can't not love this show. There are 51 episodes and 3 OVA's (though the third can, and probably should, be utterly discarded), with the second OVA, "Legend of Phoenix ~Layla Hamilton Monogatari~" probably being the best part of the entire series.

Seirei no Moribito:
Production IG animation, mock-feudal Japan setting, awesome martial arts fights, and an engaging plot. What more could you ask for? Seirei no Moribito is probably the best series to air in Japan in the last three or so years, by quite a margin. Just seriously, watch it. You won't regret it.

Hajime no Ippo:
I don't like sports anime or manga very much, and boxing in general doesn't hold much interest for me. But Hajime no Ippo just crapped over all expectations I had for anything based on the sport. The animation isn't always great, Madhouse sensibly saving it for the fight scenes, and the voice acting took a little while to get used to, but once I got to grip with those, I found this to be an incredibly faithful adaptation of the excellent manga. My only issue with it is that at 75 episodes and two OVA's, it's not even close to up-to-date with the manga, where so much more awesomeness has happened after where the anime finishes up. Still, this series is most definitely worth watching.

Honourable Mentions: Ai:skull::skull::skull::skull:eruze Baby, Aria, Azumanga Daioh, FLCL, Scrapped Princess, The Twelve Kingdoms

As for the worst, I honestly couldn't say, since I tend to give up on series very quickly and push them out of my memory, so I don't really remember them very well.

Roto13
12-29-2007, 07:31 PM
I watched Haibane Renmei just before Christmas because it's another Lain/Texhnolyze team anime. I thought the atmosphere was great. It relaxed me. xP Still, I kind of wish they had eventually gone beyond the walls like in Texhnolyze when they leave Lux. I'd like to have a better idea of exactly what the Haibane are.

JKTrix
12-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Way too hard for me to pick overall favourites. So, I'll just pick my favourites for 2007!

#1: Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/ttgl310039.jpghttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/ttgl13kick.jpg
Left: Driving force of the show.
Right: Huge exploding ship on the left was just KICKED by the huge ship on the right. In mid-air. Huge Kicking Ship does not fly. INSANE.
Insane, ridiculous mecha action. A show so bold, so over-the-top, so epic it practically forces you to type in caps lock when you type about it. (This post has been edited.) Since I first saw Dragon Ball Z many years ago, I have never been so pumped while watching anime. And even beyond the outrageous testosterone and physics-breaking antics of the cast, there is a continuous theme to the show with an ultimate message. Even with TWO major shifts in the direction of the show, the core element remains the same and is strengthened throughout. What starts as the smallest point on the tip of a drill grows exponentially by the series' end. It's an awesome turn-your-brain-off anime, but if you leave it switched on just a little you'll catch a lot of the underlying themes.

#2: Dennou Coil
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/dennouc26135.jpghttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/dennouc03556.jpg
Left: Bunch of kids with cyberbeards. One chick's cheek declares war on the other cheek and launches a nuke.
Right: 'No Data'. Strange, dangerous things can happen if your cyberbody is separated from your real body.
If Gurren-Lagann wasn't so off-the-charts awesome, this would definitely be at the top of my list. The basic premise is that this city that the children live in exists in two forms: the real world and the Cyber world (though they don't call it that. They rarely, if ever, distinguish the difference between the two with labels--part of the plot development). The Cyber World is an exact replica of the real world and in fact exists as an overlay. In order to access the Cyber world, you use special glasses. You can probably see it in those pics. The kids are not visally impaired, they're all wearing these glasses. This Cyber world in conjunction with the glasses basically renders cell phones and computers obsolete (though they still exist). Through the glasses you can call other people Inspector Gadget style, access e-mail, internet and basically anything else you can do on a computer today. Much more than a novelty, they're even used for school classes. Additionally, having cyberpets is very popular. Of course with computer-type things, you have hackers and other mischievious people. And with an entire city that is basically one huge living wireless network, things can get interesting.
Anyway, I'm not really supposed to be explaining the show, but perhaps you have an idea of just how imaginative this series is. It has excellent world-building which makes some things later on easier to understand (like the girl's cyber facial hair launching a cyber nuclear missile targeted at her other cheek). As things get more serious later on, it touches on some issues like distinguishing what is real and what is fake, and what each is worth to the individual. This draws some parrallels to today, where a lot of us grew up with videogames, the internet, cel phones etc, we get somewhat detached from reality. It's quite interesting throughout the show when we see Adults--they're rarely wearing the glasses. But every single kid has the glasses, and even sleeps with them on. To them it's their life, and it's all real. This show has a very 'Ghibli/Miyazaki' feel to it, with a little bit of Lain. While it feels a little like those two, it is entirely unique. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. I think it's an instant classic.

#3: Ookiku Furikabutte
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/oofuri_0209.jpghttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/oofuri_0221.jpg
Left: Never having pitched 'properly' in his life, the uncannily talented Mihashi loses his balance when being taught 'properly'
Right: Momoe Maria, the team's coach.
A baseball anime, based off a fairly popular boy's manga. I only started watching it a few weeks ago and I haven't finished it (unlike the rest of the shows on my list), but it has really charmed me. I prefer the more realistic sports anime like this or Hajime no Ippo as opposed to stuff like Prince of Tennis. There are no annoying characters, there are no 'evil bad guy teams'.

#4: Nodame Cantabile
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/nodame16960.jpghttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/nodamesoul.jpg
Left: The main crew.
Right: Instruments!
College life/Comedy/Drama/Light Romance/Music anime! Based off a very popular women's manga (don't run yet!) that's actually in print in the US now. Colourful cast, great classical soundtrack (to be expected of a music anime), plentiful comic situations that are genuinely funny, it's a very heartwarming story. My only complaint is that a couple of their epic musical scenes have truncated music. The show is actually sponsored by Yamaha, a Japanese instrument maker, so the various instruments themselves are lovingly recreated in both 2D and CG. I'm a semi-professional musician myself, so this show tickled my fancy then gave me more than just the music hook.

#5: Serei no Moribito
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/seirei02998edit.jpghttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/seirei10080edit.jpg
Left: She uses a spear. And gorgeous clouds!
Right: Balsa's quite a bit older than your average anime heroine, but she's up there with Motoko when it comes to awesomeness. And she's gorgeous!
I kind of struggled with this one. It was either this or the anime 'Baccano!', but Seirei no Moribito won out. The show is gorgeous, which is to be expected from the animation studio (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=337). It's a fantasy anime based off a series of novels, though I think this only covers the first book. As such, the story and environment are very fleshed out. At times it seems a little slow, and some character developments I would have liked to see (such as Balsa and Tanda) never really go anywhere (favourite line of the show, "Why don't you just sleep with her?"), but taken in the context that it's a long, long story it's a little forgiveable. Though in the context of a single season of anime, it's disappointing. However, the story remains its strong point when the incredible action sequences die down. It probably won't be for everyone, but for a Fantasy sucker like me, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Enough to be in my top 5 for the year. Perhaps it can be compared to 'The Twelve Kingdoms', which is one of my all-time favourites.

Honorable Mentions:
Baccano!, Darker Than Black, Moyashimon, Minami-ke, Ooedo Rocket

Every now and then, there's a show that reminds me why I love anime. This year I had two: Gurren-Lagann and Dennou Coil. Last year was Haruhi Suzumiya, before that was Eureka 7/Mushishi and before that was Gankutsuou. There are several other excellent shows, but some stand above everything else and re-ignite the love in me. I tend to drop shows I don't like instead of suffering through them since it would dull my impression. I'm glad I have the luxury to do so, because if I was stuck with the stuff that's on TV, I'd probably not be an anime fan.

Venom
12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Top 5 animes, thats going to be hard. )=

1.Berserk: Berserk is my number one favorite because its violent and the main character is fucking badass. I also think the storyline for Berserk in general (Both manga and anime) are genius.
2.Hellsing: Well, mainly the same reasons for Berserk XD
3.One Piece (Well until it got stupid) One Piece was pretty cool just for the fact Zolo was in it.

I cant think of any animes I actually like anymore XD

Top 5 hated animes.
Naruto: Its boring, and the main character is an annoying retard.
Inuyasha: Boring, Boring, Boring, Boring and of course its also very boring.
DragonBall Z: Took about 20 episodes for someone to finally throw a fucking punch.
Most anime:Cause it bores the fuck out of me.

Northcrest
12-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Naruto
I like the Ninja style School idea I thought that was pretty Neat

Dragon Ball (all series)
I've watched DBZ since I was bout 5 or 6 I loved how the they use the Little blasting techniques I thought it was kind of funny. Except I kind of think the Super Saiyan 1,2,3,4 thing was kind of repetative.

Ryonin Kenshin (Hoped I spelled it right)
The idea of a guy who use to be evil is really awesome. Has a sense of evil in the good guy unlike having a really nice good guy just to be nice.

Yu Yu Hakasho
Spirit Gun is awesome. The characters r really unique with there own special ability plus and personalities plus the tournaments that they have r really cool.

The Unknown Guru
01-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Favs:

1. <s>Naruto</s> Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's just so deep, and it's ingenious how it kinda starts out light and generic, then suddenly Shinji goes emo and the series takes on a whole new life. Every episode gives you something to think about.

2. Samurai Champloo. In my book, this series is just a tiiiiny bit better than Bebop. In my opinion, it's more polished, the setting is better (I'm a fan of the late Edo period), and the characters are just as deep.

3. Cowboy Bebop. This was way, way ahead of its time. The art is beautifully done, the characters are great, and the last episode... Wow. It's incredible, I just think Champloo was better.

4. Paranoia Agent. Crazy deep. It's ingenious how the whole show is utterly insane and makes perfect sense at the same time. It makes me think, and I like thinking.

5. Fooly Cooly. See Paranoia Agent, plus better music and minus making sense. The Pillows FTW!

Least favorites: I have no clue. Probably anything I saw before I was 10.

aquatius
01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Favourite:
1. Haruhi Suzumiya
I just loved the characters and plot.

2. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
I'm gonna get flamed for this. Anyway, I play and like the card game a lot, and I think it gets a bad rap for the crappy dub. Admittedly, the first and second seires were pretty meh, but it picks up hugely in the third and fourth.

3. Lucky Star
I found it just plain hilarious

4. Full metal Alchemist
I haven't even watched that much of it but I like the plot so far and the characters are cool.

Honourable mention:
Yu-Gi-Oh!
It's what got me interested in anime in the first place and interested in the card game as well, although nowadays I find it pretty boring.

Least Favourite
1. Naruto
Horrible characters, horrible fanbase. I tried watching the first episode (subbed) and I couldn't bear it.

Karellen
01-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Favorite:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Martian Successor Nadesico
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion
4. His and Her Circumstances
5. Now and Then, Here and There

Least Favorite:

1. Earth Girl Ajuna
2. Saikano
3. Gundam Wing
4. Ikki Tousen
5. Haibane Renmei

For the record, I'm sure there is anime much worse then the ones I listed. I've gone out of my way to avoid most of those though, so I'm mainly left with titles that I expected to be at least somewhat entertaining yet weren't.

Kanshisha
01-13-2008, 02:26 PM
1: Rurouni Kenshin
2:Samurai Champloo
3:Naruto
ok, you may disagree, but i found it quite sweet. Although.. the episodes really sometimes 'p' you off because of the sudden stop of the show.
4:Tenchi Muyo
interesting story line.
5:Inuyasha

Least Fave

1. I totally hate tokyo mew mew ><"
2: DBZ
the really stretched battles when they just stare and talk to each other for at least 10 eps.
3.Sailor Moon
just don't have interest in it
4.Yu-Gi-Oh
yeah, cool and all.. but a bit exagerated at some parts.
5.Origin: spirits of the past
-.-"