PDA

View Full Version : FF Tarot - Seeking Your Advice

Pacrat0684
12-28-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm working on creating a tarot deck using FF characters from the entire series, but I feel like my character range is somewhat limited and I'd like to see some of your suggestions for the ones I'm having trouble with. (Note: appearance or position are not enough to qualify a character for a card. For example, Garnet can't be the Empress just because she is a queen. The character chosen has to fully represent all the aspects of the card, both good and bad.)

The Magician - I keep wavering between Delita or Kuja for this position. The Magician is young, but he's been around long enough to know how things really work. His intelligence and confidence allow him to manipulate those around him to his own benefit. He is both spiritual and earthly, having knowledge of both, and understands that control in one area can lead to control in another. He doesn't seek power out of greed, but rather aspiration to become something better.

The Emperor - There are several choices for this one, but I'm leaning towards either Emperor Gramis or Vayne Solidor from FFXII. The reason being that the Emperor position isn't just about conquest and control, but he's also about a long line of tradition and stability, something that must be overcome only when it becomes stagnant. I can't really see Palamecia or Gestahl as stable figures since they both conquer for their own personal gain. The thing that's tripping me up is that the Emperor is supposed to be both a father figure and have a thirst for conquest. Emperor Gramis is a father, but is remorseful of his tactics and in the end sees Larsa's ideas of negotiation as the more suitable alternative. Vayne is all about the military tradition of Archadia, and his whole reasoning that complete control is the only road to peace and stability speaks very much of the egotistical aspect of The Emperor card, but his youth and maniacal persona keeps him from feeling fatherly.

The Hierophant - Yeah this is a tough one. The Hierophant is basically a high ranking religious figure who can offer good advice, but only from within the boundaries of his/her religion. He/she prepares you for the spiritual journey of life, but is not always straight-forward. They are almost always a good person with your best interest in mind but will turn on you very quickly if you stray from the spiritual collective. I've already got Lady Yunalesca firmly set in the High Priestess position (trust me, she fits it perfectly) so the only person I can think of for the Hierophant is Grand Maester Yo Mika. He's not really a bad person in the game, and he does have the people of Spira in mind, but he was also very haughty and creepy.

The Hanged Man - I'm thinking of either Tidus or Lord Braska for this one, although I'd like to use Tidus for The Sun card. The hanged man is basically any warrior who is ready and willing to sacrifice his life for the cause. He is usually an outcast who sees things from a different perspective than most people, allowing him to see truths that others can't. However, when he acts purely out of desire for a specific person or thing, he can become obsessed and/or misguided, possibly giving his life for the wrong purpose or being tricked into a wasted sacrifice. He ultimately represents the act of complete submission to the unknown in order to reach a higher level of understanding. He can also represent a child seeking the love and approval of a parent. Maybe Kadaj?

Like I said before, my character choices are leaning alot towards the more current games and I'd like the deck to feel more rounded by including more characters from previous games (just make sure they accurately fit the image and interpretation of the card you're suggesting them for). Here are the characters that have already been used:

Ramza Beoulve
Lady Yunalesca
Queen Brahne Alexandros
Squall
Rinoa
Cecil Harvey
Princess Ashe
Auron
Any of the sorceresses from FFVIII
Beatrix
Jecht/Sin
Yuna
Jenova
Aeris
Cloud
Sephiroth
Tidus
Light Warriors from FFV

I'd rather not use the same character for multiple cards, but if you can explain how any of them are better applied to one of the positions listed above you may use them.

qwertysaur
12-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I have a Hierophant for you. Gran Kiltias Anastasis.

Also, Galuf would be good for the hanged man.

rubah
12-28-2007, 11:40 PM
I know someone who drew some ff characters for a tarot assignment, I'll see if I can find her posts on the subject

Found it!
Acrylicana Life (http://sweetmary.livejournal.com/tag/tarot)

Galuf would be terrible for the Hanged Man. There was nothing wasted about his sacrifice. And he was definitely not misguided xD

Tidus would be more appropriate for The Sun, but that's just nomura's imagery talking I guess.

The World would be terra in esper form with magicite around her, imo, even if that stuff all breaks, but the memories are still there:D

Pacrat0684
12-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I have a Hierophant for you. Gran Kiltias Anastasis.

Also, Galuf would be good for the hanged man.

I was actually considering Gran Kiltias for the Hierophant, but the only thing is that he doesn't have any of the negative aspects that come with the card. It sucks though because all of his other characteristics fit it perfectly.

Pacrat0684
12-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Tidus would be more appropriate for The Sun, but that's just nomura's imagery talking I guess.

The World would be terra in esper form with magicite around her, imo, even if that stuff all breaks, but the memories are still there:D

GAH! I had Tidus set as the Sun for the longest time, but I felt like I was buying into the obvious choice. I think you're right though.

The Sun represents the joy of rebirth through facing your fears, so maybe Tidus when he's "reborn" at the end of X-2.

Interesting idea about Terra, I'll look into it.

Bolivar
12-29-2007, 01:00 AM
For the Sun I think Luneth from FFIIIDS would be a great choice, because he is very young, and innocent, but not naive as you stated. I think of celebration, too, because he was the first chosen by the crystals and the elders in his village state that they knew this day would come. Also, probably because the FMV of him riding on a chocobo is very memorable, and I know you said that would be a good idea of someone riding underneath the sun.

For the world, I think Bartz would be a good choice, as at the end, he has overcome the antagonist, restored the 4 crystals and subdued The Void (5 elements), and they do decide to go on another adventure in the ending. the ending scene really reminds me of that pause between adventures.

I think Ricard Highwind would be a good hanged man, he has a different perspective from others as the Dragoons were isolated from the rest of the world on their little island, living with Wyverns, and he was the last one. As with the latter part, he could have very well escaped his fate, it seems he simply wanted to see if he could survive a 1-on-1 showdown with the toughest S.O.B. (also the unknown), and he definately felt it was for a good cause.

Gramis seems perfect for The Emporer, although I think in the end he chose that Vayne's way was the correct path. Also, I think there may be a better one for Heirophant, i'm just not sure right now...

this is all very interesting, and i'm not sure if i'm doing this right b/c i don't know much about tarot cards, but definately keep us updated on this.

Pacrat0684
12-29-2007, 01:27 AM
For the world, I think Bartz would be a good choice, as at the end, he has overcome the antagonist, restored the 4 crystals and subdued The Void (5 elements), and they do decide to go on another adventure in the ending. the ending scene really reminds me of that pause between adventures.

I just watched the ending to FFV and that is PERFECT! Not so much the specific character of Bartz, but the fact that the heroes create a new world and 4 new elemental crystals. It fits the card so well! Congrats! You just picked out the World card :D

blackmage_nuke
12-29-2007, 02:08 AM
I think RedXIII would make a better sun, he's young but really enlightened and all, and you have that imagery at the end of VII when he's running through the canyon and looks down on midgar from up high

As for the hanged man i would go for seymours mother who became Anima but she's not that main a character so i would suggest anima

NeoCracker
12-29-2007, 04:13 AM
Major Tarot

Fool
Meaning
At #0, the Fool is the card of infinite possibilities. The bag on the staff indicates that he has all he need to do or be anything he wants, he has only to stop and unpack. He is on his way to a brand new beginning. But the card carries a little bark of warning as well. Stop daydreaming and fantasising and watch your step, lest you fall and end up looking the fool.

Fitting Character - Gogo.

Gogo is capable of preforming just about all of your other Characters ablilities. All he needs to do is select them in between fights, which is similar to the mention of stopping and unpacking.

Magician
Meaning
At #1, the Magician is the male power of creation, creation by willpower and desire. In that ancient sense, it is the ability to make things so just by speaking them aloud ("And God said 'Let there be Light!' and there was Light"). Reflecting this is the fact that the Magician is represented by Mercury. He represents the gift of tongues, a smooth talker, a salesman. Also clever with the slight of hand (Mercury *was* the god of thieves!) and a medicine man - either a real doctor or someone trying to sell you snake oil. The 4 suits laid out before him remind us of the 4 aces, which in the Tarot symbolize the raw, undeveloped, undirected power of each suit. When the Magician appears, he reveals these to you. The reader might well interpet this card as telling the querent that they will be given a vision, an idea, a magical, mental image of whatever it is they most want: the solution to a problem, an ambitious career, a love life, a job.

Fitting Character - Edgar

Edgar is a very intelligent man, who helped to create all the technology of Figaro. In addition, he is quite a smooth talker, which is shown at many points during the game. In addition, with that mix of tools he sports a lot of power.

Priestess
Meaning
The High Priestess is the card of knowledge, instinctual, supernatural, secret knowledge. She holds scrolls of arcane information that she might, or might not reveal to you. The moon crown on her head as well as the crescent by her foot indicates her willingness to illuminate what you otherwise might not see, reveal the secrets you need to know in order to make a decision about a problem or a job, an investment, love, career, family, etc.

And, finally, there is, behind her throne, the curtain that leads to the deepest, most esoteric and secret knowledge; the pomegranates that decorate it remind us of Persephone, who was taken down into the land of the dead, ate its fruit, and became the only goddess allowed to travel to and from that strange land. Which indicates that when you get the High Priestess, you're going to be learning some very odd things. Very odd.

Fitting Character - Aeris

While I don't like her, she is quite fitting of this role. She posses's secret knowledge, noteabley that of the Ancients (Not a lot, but still). The abilities she possess's are both supernatural an insticutual, (Listening to the planet?). The White Materia could be presented as the Scrolls of ARcane information. Finally, she shows you the path to follow before her death, basically Illuminating what you did not see before.

Judgement
Meaning
With Fire as its ruling element (or Pluto as its ruling planet), Judgement is about rebirth, ressurection. The idea of Judgement day is that the dead rise, their sins are forgiven, and they move onto heaven. The Judgement card is similar, it asks the resurrection to summon the past, forgive it, and let it go. There are wounds from the past that we never let heal, sins we've committed that we refuse to forgive, bad habits we haven't the courage to lose. Judgement advises us to finally face these, recognize that the past is past, and put them to rest, absolutely and irrevocably. This is also a card of healing, quite literally from an accident or illness, as well as a card signaling great transformation, renewal, change.

Fitting Character: Amarant

Why you ask? Just look at how his story progresses. He faced up to his flaws and bad habits (Remaining alone, believing it was a better way of opperating), and as the Judgement card asks, he was brought back together with Zidane, and in the end managed to let go of what happened between them. I think Amarant is a perfect fit for judgement.

Mostly I like Amarant for Justice, and Aeris for Priestess.

Not so big on Edgar for Magician though.

Gogo is the only one I can think of for Fool that could work though.

Pacrat0684
12-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Mostly I like Amarant for Justice, and Aeris for Priestess.

Not so big on Edgar for Magician though.

Gogo is the only one I can think of for Fool that could work though.

I've decided on Ramza from Tactics to play the Fool. Calling him "the Fool" doesn't mean he is stupid, it means he is inexperienced and naive enough to believe that world is a good and just place. It's this belief that prompts the Fool to go out and explore the world, with reality nipping at his heels in the form of a dog. The characteristics of the Fool are blind optimism, no attachment, and being the main protagonist of the story. It's also been stated that if the Fool were a character in a story, he would be "the third son of the king, who succeeded where his older brothers did not." This fits Ramza perfectly since he is the youngest of three sons and he accomplished more than his two older brothers.

Ramza naivety is one of his most endearing traits. Even though he is betrayed by Delita time and time again, he never stops believing that there is still some good in his old friend. Delita, being the dog, is constantly trying to show Ramza the truth, that good is not always good and bad is not always bad. Still he believes in a world where he is a good knight defending a good kingdom, where his two older brothers are honorable men instead of backstabbing schemers, and while everyone else in the story is battling for succession, Ramza is simply trying to do what he knows is right. He has absolutely no idea what a thick web of lies and deceit he's fallen into, because if he did he'd never have the courage or will to keep moving forward. His youth and "foolishness" are what protects him from the temptation and corruption of power, and keep him on the honorable path.

Also, the fact that the Fool "can be anything he wants to be" works well with Ramza, since he is one of the only main playable characters who is given the choice of any and all jobs.

For Judgement I have decided on the Buster Sword, as it is used in Advent Children as Zack's grave marker. If you've played Crisis Core, you know all of the history and sadness that is attached to the weapon and those who have carried it. I know the Buster Sword is a weapon and not a character, but it is probably the most recognizable weapon of the series, and all the characters who have held it share these common themes, which are all characteristics of the Judgement card:

Judgment, Rebirth, Inner Calling, Absolution, Restart, Accepting past mistakes/actions, Release, Forgiveness, End of repression, Reconciliation, Renewal, Decision, Salvation, New beginning, Hope, Redemption

When Judgment appears, it is usually interpreted as a signal of an impending judgment, such as of postponed decisions. As the card symbolizes resurrection, it can also be interpreted to herald the return of individuals from the past. The card also represents God's promise of life after death. In a reading, especially near the six of cups, it may represent a preoccupation with the past, while also suggesting a new beginning and clearing out of the past.

For the High Priestess I have Lady Yunalesca. According to Wikipedia, "the High Priestess is the Second Marriage of the Prince who is no longer of this world; she is the spiritual Bride and Mother, the daughter of the stars and the Higher Garden of Eden. She is, in fine, the Queen of the borrowed light, but this is the light of all. She is the Moon nourished by the milk of the Supernal Mother."

She is "a figure who has passed through most of life. She started as a novice when a child. Now She has grown and governs the convent which is Spiritual Reality. She knows God. She knows what we go through because She has been through it Herself. But She is also very strict. Laws are in place to stop the new set of novices from hurting themselves.

When she appears in a spread, she typically counsels the Querent to seek new paths and hidden paths to wisdom. She can lead to deep wisdom, but can also lead to madness. She can also be a warning to interrogate the lessons of the unconscious. She also warns the Querent to question how he or she has divided up the world; to test the judgments made in the past against the world as we have come to know it. "

"The High Priestess is neither good nor evil, she is simply the holder of all life's mysteries. It's up to you what you do with the knowledge she gives you"... If that's not Yunalesca, then I don't know who is. Besides, if you read the description of The Star card on Wikipedia, I think you'll see that Aeris is more fitted for that role.

NeoCracker
12-29-2007, 07:05 AM
All depends on where you look up your Tarot definitions.

Theres plenty of different versions out there of each card.

Though this one is based off the Idea that Chariot is also representative of the coming together of opposites.

Chariot
Meaning
I'll just shorten this, the meaning I am basing this off of is the coming together of Opposites. War and overcoming struggle are a couple of the other meanings.

Fitting Character: Palom and Porom.

The Twins, being polar opposites of eachother, still manage to work together in harmony, moving forward and overcoming struggles with their combined effort. Now thats a Chariot if I ever saw one.

Pacrat0684
12-29-2007, 07:40 AM
All depends on where you look up your Tarot definitions.

Theres plenty of different versions out there of each card.

Though this one is based off the Idea that Chariot is also representative of the coming together of opposites.

Chariot
Meaning
I'll just shorten this, the meaning I am basing this off of is the coming together of Opposites. War and overcoming struggle are a couple of the other meanings.

Fitting Character: Palom and Porom.

The Twins, being polar opposites of eachother, still manage to work together in harmony, moving forward and overcoming struggles with their combined effort. Now thats a Chariot if I ever saw one.

That's actually not bad, and not far from what I picked for the Chariot. I picked Cecil Harvey, as his paladin and dark knight personas represent the white and black horses pulling the chariot - the contradicting impulses of his inner self as he progresses through the story. That and the Chariot is linked to the zodiac sign of Cancer, which is the sign of the moon and the esper Zeromus in FFXII. I'll look into the twins more though, good suggestion :)

NeoCracker
12-29-2007, 07:43 AM
I'd say use the twins, mostley because its a more obscure reference,

In addition Cecil was more Rejecting his dark side and embracing the light.

There really wasn't much coming to balance between the two.

Pacrat0684
12-29-2007, 07:58 AM
I'd say use the twins, mostley because its a more obscure reference,

In addition Cecil was more Rejecting his dark side and embracing the light.

There really wasn't much coming to balance between the two.

Do you have any suggestions for the Emperor, Hierophant, or Hanged Man? Those are the ones I'm really stuck on. I haven't got any characters from I, II, III, and VI. I would love to find a place for Kefka :confused:

blackmage_nuke
12-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I would still go for Anima as the hanged man even though shes a female.

And i dont see tidus as a sun, even though there is clear indication in the game relating him to the sun. Alot of the things in sun fit for RedXIII

Edgar could be the emporer

Selena_Akariko
12-29-2007, 01:17 PM
The Hanged Man - I'm thinking of either Tidus or Lord Braska for this one, although I'd like to use Tidus for The Sun card. The hanged man is basically any warrior who is ready and willing to sacrifice his life for the cause. He is usually an outcast who sees things from a different perspective than most people, allowing him to see truths that others can't. However, when he acts purely out of desire for a specific person or thing, he can become obsessed and/or misguided, possibly giving his life for the wrong purpose or being tricked into a wasted sacrifice. He ultimately represents the act of complete submission to the unknown in order to reach a higher level of understanding. He can also represent a child seeking the love and approval of a parent. Maybe Kadaj?

You know... Somehow I think Marche Radiju from FFTA would fit. He is definately "an outcast who sees things from a different perspective than most people, allowing him to see truths that others can't." I'm not sure, though...

As for Kuja as the Magician, that's a great idea.

And the Hierophant... Queen Remedi/Li Grim. Also from FFTA.

:save: Selena

Renmiri
12-29-2007, 05:28 PM
I made an FFX only deck a while ago (http://forums.ffproject.net/showthread.php?t=758&highlight=tarot)!!

At last, my own FFX Tarot with the major Arcana!

1. The Fool -- Rikku (Gets herself in trouble, goofy but also stumbles upon truth)
2. I The Magician -- Lulu (Skill, determination..)
3. II The High Priestess -- Anima (Almost went for Yuna or Lulu here but Unconscious = Anima)
4. III The Empress -- Shiva (Almost went for Donna as the Empress Dark side: Domineering, NOT nurturing, aggresive sexuality... )
5. IV The Emperor -- Kimahri (fatherly figure, rigid, almost went for Auron here but Auron defies convention and is not rigid)
6. V The Hierophant -- Braska (Gave his life to preserve tradition ? Almost went for Mika here but I wanted a good guy)
7. VI The Lovers -- Yuna & Tidus (of course!)
8. VII The Chariot -- A Chocobo Knight mount (Takes you places, Chariot can be warrior in some tarots)
9. VIII Justice -- Jecht (Did the right thing at "judgement time" ?)
10. IX The Hermit -- Maechem (of course!)
11. X Wheel Of Fortune -- Celsius (Takes you to ups and downs, gives a new perspective....)
12. XI Strength -- Yuna (Dedication, strength..)
13. XII The Hanged Man -- Lenne (A martir that let her grudge go)
14. XIII Death -- Zanarkand (A city dead for 1,000 years, want more dead than this ?)
15. XIV Temperance -- Fayth (Calm, waiting, guiding, aiding, detached.. )
16. XV The Devil -- Seymour (who else ?)
17. XVI The Tower -- Djose (I went for the image here, but later I saw that the temple is scary but renews you and gives you a new weapon to face challenges)
18. XVII The Star -- Wakka (almost went for Tidus here, but Wakka was the only guardian I had not used)
19. XVIII The Moon -- Farplane (Could be Anima too)
20. XIX The Sun -- Tidus (I was debating Sun or Star for him, but he has a sunny disposition :D )
21. XX Judgement -- Auron (Redemption, facing a challenge decisively... )
22. XXI The World -- Zanarkand of 1,000 years ago (in it's prime)

http://ffproject.net/forumwiki/images/thumb/800px-Ffxtarot.jpg

NeoCracker
12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Heirophant MEaning:
Taurus the Earthly bull may seem an odd sign for a holy man, but it makes sense if you understand that the Hierophant's purpose is to bring the spiritual down to Earth. Where the High Priestess between her two pillars deals with realms beyond this Earth, the Hierophant (or High Priest) deals with worldly problems. He is well suited to do this because, like all Taureans, he strives to create harmony and peace in the midst of a crisis. The Hierophant's only problem is that, like the Bull, he can be stubborn and hidebound. At his best, he is wise and soothing, at his worst, he is an unbending traditionalist.

Sounds lot like Banon to me. Banon is definately wise, and his goal is to create peace, however he also comes off as highly stubborn.

Not sure about Emperor and Hanged man though. HM is quite an odd one for me to pinpoint.

Edit: I'll just some up the Emperor Meaning.

It means to be in control. Control over your emotions and enviroment, and taking charge.

If anyone, that sounds like Auron from FF X.