PDA

View Full Version : The "laughing" scene

ReloadPsi
12-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Okay, the impression I've gotten lately is that people think the voice acting is bad in this scene (as if they haven't got the rest of the game to complain about, geez)

Am I the only person that realises Tidus is not supposed to be actually, genuinely laughing at that particular moment? Isn't he supposed to be severely downtrodden and basically taking the Michael when Yuna tells him to "try laughing out loud"? I know they both burst out laughing afterwards, but the impression I get is that's not what people are complaining about, it's the fake laugh before it.

blackmage_nuke
12-29-2007, 12:36 AM
No matter how you justify the scene it's still extremely awkward to watch. Thats my complaint anyway

Tabris
12-29-2007, 01:51 AM
You do have a point. It is sort of a fake, awkward laughter, filled with depressed feelings. Maybe the actors were better than what we give them credit for?

Then again, I never thought the actors in X were bad anyway.

NeoCracker
12-29-2007, 03:40 AM
People complain not because the quality was bad, but because it was horrid to listen to.

Extremely horrid.

And awkward.

Its hardly because their acting was bad in that scene.

Perhaps it was just to good.

Elly
12-29-2007, 05:07 AM
of course it's fake, they're trying to break the tension with a bit of silliness, as they laugh for real at each others really horrible fake laughs... and yes i just don't like it cuz it is horrible to listen to, even though i understand the reason, i still don't like it...

Big D
12-29-2007, 05:51 AM
They're obviously both pretending to laugh, rather than actually laughing - that's the whole premise of the scene. It's especially obvious when they burst out into real laughter after a while. It's annoying when people complain that their laughter doesn't sound real in that scene.

I find that whole scene a little awkward to watch, but that doesn't change the fact that they're meant to sound the way they do.

Nifleheim7
12-30-2007, 01:56 AM
I admit that i find the scene a bit too cheesy for my tastes but the voice actors did a great job getting right the akward moment.

Imo FFX has some of the finest voice acting in video games.

Goldenboko
12-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Sure he's not suppose to genuinely laugh.

But come on, just listening to it makes you look behind you and hope no one can see you.

Helen
12-30-2007, 04:20 AM
It is halarious in japanese , I loved it.

Bolivar
12-31-2007, 05:03 AM
You do have a point. It is sort of a fake, awkward laughter, filled with depressed feelings. Maybe the actors were better than what we give them credit for?

Then again, I never thought the actors in X were bad anyway.

agree with all that, yes i would feel embarassed if someone else was in the room, but for the story it fit great.

Jessweeee♪
12-31-2007, 07:02 AM

Yes, OMG xD

I just love the Japanese Tidus' real laugh. It's awesome :exdee:

Peter_20
12-31-2007, 08:11 PM
In the Japanese version Yuna (or Yuuna, whatever) tells Tidus (Ti-da) to KEEP laughing; instead of the "you probably shouldn't laugh anymore", we get a "don't stop there...".

rikkugurl13
01-01-2008, 06:28 AM
HAHAHAHAHAAA!
Lol srry couldnt help me self :D

Peter_20
01-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Imo FFX has some of the finst voice acting in video games.I've gotta concur on this.
I've always defended the voice acting in this game, because the actors actually put their heart and soul into it.
Even Tidus gets pretty good in the later parts in the game, and he's definitely very good in the scenes before and after the final boss fight.

Serapy
01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
To you, they may not be genuinely laughing but I found the other party members behind Tidus and Yuna in that exact scene hilarious. They stood very still, stared at Tidus and Yuna like the world is coming to an end, they go like WTF!? :p

NeoCracker
01-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Yes, OMG xD

You mean the one that sounds even more special then the fake laugh?

To you, they may not be genuinely laughing but I found the other party members behind Tidus and Yuna in that exact scene hilarious. They stood very still, stared at Tidus and Yuna like the world is coming to an end, they go like WTF!? :p

I actually noticed that part. :p
And yes, that was amusing.

Helen
01-05-2008, 06:40 PM

Yes, OMG xD

Apparently I am not the only one that plays both. I can not read it yet though.

Peter_20
01-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Yes, OMG xD

Apparently I am not the only one that plays both. I can not read it yet though.There are quite a few differences in the dialogues.
For example, in introduction-Zanarkand Auron says "Use this" and "You'll learn how to use it in real battle.".
When Tidus is caught by the Al Bhed, he gets rather pissed off when they try talking to him - first he says "Whatever, I don't understand anything", and then he cries "I don't understand!".
In Macalania Temple Auron says "Kimahri is waiting. Go on."
and Tidus yells "Shut up!" instead of "Make me!".

The most obvious differences I've seen so far would be the opening scene, "Maybe, this is the end? So, I want to tell you everything." and the one with Yuna before the, ehm, boss fight in Zanarkand, "This is MY story!".

And let's not forget how Tidus does NOT say "Yeah, no problem there." on Mount Gagazet" - he actually says "It's okay, let's do it." instead.

...and so on, and so on, and so on. :p

Big D
01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
There are quite a few differences in the dialogues.
For example, in introduction-Zanarkand Auron says "Use this" and "You'll learn how to use it in real battle.".
When Tidus is caught by the Al Bhed, he gets rather pissed off when they try talking to him - first he says "Whatever, I don't understand anything", and then he cries "I don't understand!".

The most obvious differences I've seen so far would be the opening scene, "Maybe, this is the end? So, I want to tell you everything." and the one with Yuna before the, ehm, boss fight in Zanarkand, "This is MY story!".

And let's not forget how Tidus does NOT say "Yeah, no problem there." on Mount Gagazet" - he actually says "It's okay, let's do it." instead.

...and so on, and so on, and so on. :pThis has already been explained, but virtually all of those 'changes' have no real effect on the meaning of what was said.

Roto13
01-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Those aren't changes. >_>

Peter_20
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I was just stating the fact that the dialogues are different in the Japanese version, so there's no need to sound super-serious.

"Use this." =|= "Take it.".

Roto13
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Of course it's different. It's in a different language. If you translated the game directly there'd be a bunch of words that don't exist, and most if it would be backwards.

ReloadPsi
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
There might be some lines of dialogue that are radically different. Sometimes there's a joke inserted into one translation where it was just an ordinary line in another. For instance, FF8's Squall is a bit different in French.

JeonRina14
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
The voice acting in the whole game was retarded..>.> lol this scene was just more annoying / stupid than others so it really stuck out. ^^

Roogle
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
I felt that this scene was awkward due to the lack of changes made to the dialogue and the scene itself during the localization process. One must remember that the scene was originally created in the storyline with the Japanese audience in mind, and that it is difficult to translate the scene without making any heavy changes.

I recall thinking to myself that I was glad that I was alone when this scene played out. Maybe there should have been some music or some more facial expressions because the part where he is falsely laughing reminded me of various gags in the Family Guy television series.

Zeromus_X
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
You know, I never really knew this scene got so much hate. When I played this game, I went through and never treated it any differently than any other cutscene...I guess the fake laughter is kinda awkward, but I never truly disliked it or anything.

Skyblade
02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Of course it's different. It's in a different language. If you translated the game directly there'd be a bunch of words that don't exist, and most if it would be backwards.

Great, now I really want a translation where everything's said backwards. It'd be wonderful.

I liked the scene. They're two teenagers stuck in very uncomfortable positions. Tidus, facing the reality that he'd never make it back to his home, and Yuna, facing her death when she summons the Final Aeon. Each is contemplating the end of all they've known, and neither really knows that the other is in the same situation at this point. The scene is uncomfortable and full of nervous energy, and the laugh is their way of releasing it. It sounds forced and unnatural because it was, and it was supposed to be. I thought it was quite well executed and fit perfectly with the characters and the situations they were in. And then we get to everyone else staring at them and calling them nuts, and that fit too. This sort of thing is one of the things I like about X's characters, and, while the scene may be awkward as hell, I wouldn't want it removed.

hhr1dluv
02-26-2008, 07:07 PM
I liked the scene. They're two teenagers stuck in very uncomfortable positions. Tidus, facing the reality that he'd never make it back to his home, and Yuna, facing her death when she summons the Final Aeon. Each is contemplating the end of all they've known, and neither really knows that the other is in the same situation at this point. The scene is uncomfortable and full of nervous energy, and the laugh is their way of releasing it. It sounds forced and unnatural because it was, and it was supposed to be. I thought it was quite well executed and fit perfectly with the characters and the situations they were in. And then we get to everyone else staring at them and calling them nuts, and that fit too. This sort of thing is one of the things I like about X's characters, and, while the scene may be awkward as hell, I wouldn't want it removed.

Fabulous. :D

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2008, 02:25 AM

Yes, OMG xD

Apparently I am not the only one that plays both. I can not read it yet though.There are quite a few differences in the dialogues.

...and so on, and so on, and so on. :p

Yeah, Japanese Tidus was much angrier than English Tidus for some reason o_o

cally777
02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Where I notice most that its a translation is the scene between Yuna and Tidus outside Rin's on the Mi hen Highroad. At one point Tidus says something like "but Yuna how do you beat something big like that?" then waves his hands in a strange way which doesn't look at all like he's describing how big Sin is.

I wonder what else he was saying?

Well its a great sequence anyway. "At the world's edge, in Zanarkand."

The laughing scene? Its embarassing but I guess its meant to be.

:choc::choc::choc:

Cyric
02-28-2008, 11:13 AM

I'm in total agreement with that...I laugh everytime Wakka says his "crazy" line...he says it PERFECTLY...and just for the record, I prefer the Japanese voices of Yuna and Tidus better than the North American ones, but the N.A. version of Wakka's voice is THE BEST!

Big D
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
the N.A. version of Wakka's voice is THE BEST!That's because John DiMaggio is next to godliness.