PDA

View Full Version : best walkthrough?

silverjunky
12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
hey i am going to replay this game after about 3-4 years of having it sitting on my shelf collecting dust (mainly motivated by the video walkthrough on youtube by 7503).

the thing is i originally bought the official strategy guide, which was a complete cop out as it always directed you to playonline.com for the answer to anything. (what a scam)

Anyway i usually get my walkthrough's off gamefaq.com, but there are quite a few so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to which one i should use, (bearing in mind im a perfectionist when it comes to ff games so i like to try to get and do everything).

any advice would be great.
silverjunky

Quindiana Jones
12-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I liked the Piggyback (is that the Official one?) guide. I've got one myself. It doesn't tell you all the little secrets, granted, but it tells you how to find the secrets out. It worked at getting me inspired.

silverjunky
12-30-2007, 01:07 PM
im sorry but i already have the strategy guide ( the official one) wich as i said is a big cop out cause it only directs u to playonline.com which after all this time no longer has anything to do with ff9.
and to be honest i dont feel like running round ff9 for hours and hours trying to figure out how/when/where to get/obtain/achieve/win every little thing in this game, this is why i was asking about best walkthroughs, where i can just glance at the right page and know i should stop and go do this here or ask this or beat that.
i appreciate the reply but kinda misses the point of my original post.

bless ya

Quindiana Jones
12-30-2007, 01:27 PM
My advice was that you need to start thinking for yourself. It ruins the game if you know how to do everything without even paying attention to what you're doing.

Aerith's Knight
12-30-2007, 01:39 PM
you should play through it at least once without walkthrough.. its more fun that way..

and if you want to play it again for 100% treasure or something.. then use a walkthrough

Selena_Akariko
12-30-2007, 01:59 PM
I know a couple of good walkthroughs, but they are both in Russian, so I can't help you.

As for me, I played this game with a walkthrough for the first time, and it was quite handy, because I got a lot of very useful items before I could buy them anywhere. And a walkthough is good when you are in places you can't re-visit.

:save: Selena

sillybuttons™
12-30-2007, 03:35 PM
I played this through 3 or so times before i even knew there was a walkthrough. i spent 100s of hours on my third playthrough and thought i'd done everything. Untill I read the walkthrough. There was a few things I'd missed. Soooo yeah, i'm all for walkthroughs after you think youve gotten everything and done everything. But as far as the official guide goes it was a rip off with the play-online thing, a cheap underhanded way to get hits on thier site. I dont think playonline has the information anymore anyway so although i cant say which exactly is the best walkthrough out there, I can safely say use an online guide like gamefaqs. If you want the sidequest information (and a lot more try here.
Final Fantasy 9 / IX / FF9 - Walkthrough, Cheats, Wallpapers, Music, Videos (http://www.ffinsider.net/final-fantasy-9/)
and for other fascinating and helpful tips check here. Main Page - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

hope this helps.:mog:

Aerith's Knight
12-30-2007, 05:18 PM
but if you must.. use this one:

GameFAQs: Final Fantasy IX (PS) FAQ/Walkthrough by Shotgunnova (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/197338/47344)

Shotgunnova
01-02-2008, 05:35 AM
If you dunno which to use, might as well use a combination. That's usually the best treatment, anyhow.

sillybuttons™
01-02-2008, 06:09 PM
What would be a good alternative to a complete walkthrough is a list of the last chances to do the things needed to do everything. Such as When the coffees are no longer available and stuff. That way you know if theres something you havent done or somewhere you havent been without giving yourself the answer. BTW the coffees are one of the things i never done without a walkthrough so im not saying that this is an ideal solution but its a thought. Its been a few months since i played IX but give me a few weeks and ill see if i can make an easy to understand list of when things need to be done by. :mog:

Sergeant Hartman
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Even though I've played this game 4 or 5 times and I know pretty much everything, it's still nice to have a walkthrough infront of you regardless whether or not you're reading it :hat:

cloud21zidane16
01-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Even though I've played this game 4 or 5 times and I know pretty much everything, it's still nice to have a walkthrough infront of you regardless whether or not you're reading it :hat:

Yeah i agree i like to check that im getting perfection:D but it is more interesting to play it without help.

Xurts
01-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Games like FF are very lengthy, and some people don't have the time to play through it once without a guide and miss everything, and then play through it again with a guide. Using one saves a lot of time and still leaves the game very enjoyable, if not more so because you don't have to waste time looking for things (especially chocograph locations).

Shotgunnova's guide is great, so I'd suggest using that.