PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy: The Cleansing Mission?

Zechs
12-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Just a thought, but I was thinking that if they utilized the Phantom aspect of the Spirits Within, and produced an awesome engine, then, they could make something FPS worth while. What do you think?

Final Fantasy: Phantom War?

LunarWeaver
01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
After FFVII: DC I can't say I am too with the wanting of a FPS. Although at the same time, I can't believe Square hasn't made one with the Final Fantasy name smacked on yet.

But if it were good I'd love it :3

Big D
01-02-2008, 11:28 PM
The concept is sound, but an FPS about shooting semi-visible and utterly endless alien ghosts would probably get old fast. We know from the film that they just kept coming no matter how many were destroyed, so the game would be likely to feel like it has no proper ending, no 'victory' except perhaps for protecting a few Barrier Cities from invasion.

No.78
01-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Yeah didn't they kill them all at the end of the film anyway?

Zechs
01-03-2008, 05:39 AM
About the Phantoms. I was talking about the alien creatures. The Phantoms can play a role later. Think Alien VS Predator. Alien sides. Human sides. Phantom sides.

Big D
01-03-2008, 06:21 AM
But the alien creatures all died when their planet exploded, eons ago. The phantoms only existed on Earth because the alien planet's "heart" - the core of its lifestream, more or less - landed on our planet, inside a colossal meteorite.

:edit:
But there are some aspects of TSW's combat that could make an interesting FPS. Not least of all is the fact that the phantoms are invisible until exposed to an external source of bioetheric energy. That could make combat quite tense - you only see faint blips on a sensor display to warn you that there are phantoms nearby, and an energy flare is needed to even see the things. Even if you illuminate the nearby phantoms, there's every possibility that a new one would show up during the fight, and you wouldn't even know until it was too late. That sort of thing would potentially give the game some unique qualities.
Also, the Deep Eyes soldiers of the film seem to have all sorts of interesting bioetheric energy gadgets, like the 'cushion' of energy they use in place of parachutes. Ideas like that could be expanded upon, to create an arsenal of unique equipment.

Zechs
01-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Yes, I understand that. The Alien VS Predator games do not follow the films. They have no connection. Treat this the same way.

And yes. That is what I was getting at. Either in FPS, or in a Gears of War Third-Person style.

Pacrat0684
01-03-2008, 07:52 AM
But there are some aspects of TSW's combat that could make an interesting FPS. Not least of all is the fact that the phantoms are invisible until exposed to an external source of bioetheric energy. That could make combat quite tense - you only see faint blips on a sensor display to warn you that there are phantoms nearby, and an energy flare is needed to even see the things. Even if you illuminate the nearby phantoms, there's every possibility that a new one would show up during the fight, and you wouldn't even know until it was too late. That sort of thing would potentially give the game some unique qualities.
Also, the Deep Eyes soldiers of the film seem to have all sorts of interesting bioetheric energy gadgets, like the 'cushion' of energy they use in place of parachutes. Ideas like that could be expanded upon, to create an arsenal of unique equipment.

I completely agree, although from a marketing viewpoint I wouldn't sell it under the Final Fantasy name, thats where they messed up to begin with.

I honestly think if that movie had not been "Final Fantasy," but rather "a film by the people who make Final Fantasy" it would have been more generally accepted than it originally was. If you remember, the film got a big thumbs up from alot of critics. The harshest criticism came from the hardcore fans because, lets face it, it wasn't Final Fantasy. No chocobos, no moogles, no magic swords, no main characters under the age of twenty who have amnesia - none of the aspects that would tie it to the franchise, so why try to sell it that way?

I think a fps prequel series leading up to/taking place during the events of the film would make for a great "not final fantasy" game, which SE is in dire need of - a gritty, realistic antitheses to the anime-ish fantasy games. Its obvious thats what the market wants right now, just look at how well Mass Effect was recieved. Whatever happened to Front Mission btw?

Zechs
01-03-2008, 08:04 AM
The Spirits Within would have been name enough.

But yeah. There is plenty they can expand on. And they could make something completely new and fresh.

ReloadPsi
01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Spirits Within was a total commercial and financial failure for Square; it simply cost them far too much and they didn't make back anywhere near enough of it. They probably prefer to pretend it didn't exist.

Zechs
01-03-2008, 10:05 PM
That is common knowledge.

It failed because of the time it was released, last quarter of 2001. In which was the 9-11 incident. Bad timing. It failed because of the false hype of it being named Final Fantasy. It failed because they explored a new level of CGI.