PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Rainecloud
01-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Opinions/thoughts on the game, please. Also, how does it run on your system?

I'm very impressed by the visuals, and I've been totally immersed in the game since I first started playing. There's so much depth.

Markus. D
01-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I also love how the OST flows so perfectly with every location.

It really was an experience for me.

Larahl
01-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I only played Oblivion for a few hours, but I really liked it.
I wish my computer could run it, or that I could afford a PS3\X360.

starseeker
01-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Been playing the PS3 version. It's very cool. I like how you can pretty much do whatever you want. I keep having to resist the temptation to pike alchemy ingredients. I usually fail.

Ultima Shadow
01-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Oblivion? Oh yes. I love that game. And I also love mods.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7619/riderinoblivion1ol9.png

Oh... my Oblivion character seems to be Rider from FSN! Who could have guessed?

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1107/riderinoblivion2kc3.png

BUTTSHOT!

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7900/riderinoblivion3sx4.png

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2277/riderinoblivion4ru3.png

BOOBIES! :greenie:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5964/riderinoblivion5ko4.png

Also, for anyone who enjoys Oblivion: Get Shivering Island! It's so totally worth it! :cool:

Yew-Yevon
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
My PC is running the game with an Nvidia 8500 card but I still have trobble trying to mod it.

Blackheart252
03-15-2008, 08:32 PM
oblivion is alot of fun, i loved it so much, i beat three(once as a warrior, once as a mage, and once as a thief) but to anyone who hasn't played it yet, DO NOT BECOME A VAMPIRE, it takes alot of time to get rid of it

CimminyCricket
03-15-2008, 08:35 PM
It's fun though xD

Vyk
03-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Its kinda weird being basically a mute lonely hero. So I get bored with it once in a while. But regardless its a magnificent game

Madame Adequate
03-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Immersion? You don't BEGIN to know immersion. This thread (http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=819691&hl=) shall teach you how to be immersed.

Mongotha
03-16-2008, 06:12 AM
I LOVE Oblivion. It runs great on my computer. One time while trying to install some mods I ended up having to uninstall the game and reinstall it. While reinstalling it however my computer froze and I had to kill the power in order to get it back. Now some of the game is installed but some of it isn't and I can't uninstall what's on there and it won't reinstall. I've tried it several times. The installer keeps freezing while trying to install some textures. I would be much obliged for any help in resolving the matter. I'm going insane!

Araciel
03-16-2008, 02:44 PM
It's great. I had it for xbox 360 once upon a moon. It was fun.

Hazzard
03-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Is this game better than Lost Odyssey?

Spuuky
03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Oblivion is kind of boring. It's pretty and all, but I don't find it immersive. It feels so generic/empty/lifeless. I can't really think of a completely accurate word.

Balzac
03-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I like Oblivion, it runs perfectly on my pc, but then my pc is built for doing visual effects :p

Madame Adequate
03-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Is this game better than Lost Odyssey?

A matter of taste. They're completely different beasts, one being a mostly by-the-numbers JRPG and the other being a mostly by-the-numbers WRPG. Which you prefer is up to you.

Oblivion is kind of boring. It's pretty and all, but I don't find it immersive. It feels so generic/empty/lifeless. I can't really think of a completely accurate word.

I can think of three (and a half) : It's not Morrowind.

Markus. D
03-16-2008, 07:51 PM
oblivion is alot of fun, i loved it so much, i beat three(once as a warrior, once as a mage, and once as a thief) but to anyone who hasn't played it yet, DO NOT BECOME A VAMPIRE, it takes alot of time to get rid of it

But then you can't be awesome 3:

Loony BoB
03-17-2008, 02:00 PM
So much depth, indeed, unless you want to consider your own character, who has no depth whatsoever. Which is annoying, for me. I did enjoy a lot of the gameplay but it just didn't have that something special which would make me keep going back to play it again and again. Either that or I got bored.

Anyway. I have a beast of a machine (I actually named my PC 'Beast' because of that) so it runs very, very smoothly.

Dreddz
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I owned the 360 version for about 2 weeks before lending it to a friend. He still hasnt given it back. Not that it matters, Im not that fond of WRPG's, it got repetetive and alot of the mechanics in that game felt very dodgy (ie leveling).

Im very interested into what they will do for the PSP version.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-18-2008, 02:53 AM
I love it! Being able to do almost anything makes a nice change, and the environment is fun to interact with. The realistic physics of items are a nice touch, for example.

The quests were interesting too, but I wish the caves/ruins/forts/mines had more...differences to them. They all looked almost the same.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-19-2008, 03:00 AM
As for the quests, what quests do you all like in the game?

My favourite quests are 'The Sirens Deception', that takes place in and around Anvil. Faustina Cartia is such a cool NPC. ;)

My second favourite is 'Whodunit?'. Out of all the Dark Brotherhood missions, it's certainly the most thrilling. Especially if you turn the guests against each other!

I wasn't too impressed with the Fighters Guild missions though, but I loved the Mages Guild ones.

XxSephirothxX
03-19-2008, 03:07 AM
I was afflicted with vampirism about two weeks after getting the game, and while it was incredibly annoying, finding the cure was probably the most immersive quest I've ever done in a game. Very satisfying, challenging, and fun ultimately.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Is it really that interesting? I've always just used a cure disease potion when inflicted, or avoided vampires entirely. I might just check it out though. At the moment, I'm playing my third playthrough - as an Imperial. I use a mixture of a bow, sword and dagger in combat; relying on stealth to get a critical attack from the first strike.

I haven't done any quests yet though - saving them for level 25+ since the rewards are better at higher levels.

Jings
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I really enjoyed the 'Shadow Over Hackdirt' quest. Any parody of Lovecraft in a computer game is a winner with me.

Brennan
03-21-2008, 12:55 AM
I played it on my cousin's PC, and my other cousin's X-box 360
My bro really needs to get one (cause i don't have the money)
Any1 played ARENA?

XxSephirothxX
03-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Is it really that interesting? I've always just used a cure disease potion when inflicted, or avoided vampires entirely. I might just check it out though. At the moment, I'm playing my third playthrough - as an Imperial. I use a mixture of a bow, sword and dagger in combat; relying on stealth to get a critical attack from the first strike.

I haven't done any quests yet though - saving them for level 25+ since the rewards are better at higher levels.
This was also right when the game had come out, so not only was it a fresh experience, it was obviously far grander in scope two years ago than it is today. I still had a sense of "omfg where do I go what do I do" which, after having explored much of the world and easily having the opportunity to look up things online, is mostly gone.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
When I first played the game, I had so much fun. I had no idea what to do, and although the tutorial hinted that I should go to Weynon Priory, I ignored that since I knew the game was open ended and it wouldn't punish me for taking my time to explore.

So, of course...I decide to head in a random direction. The big snowy mountains looked appealing, so I headed there. After many reloads after falling to my death numerous times, I stumbled upon Bruma. I explored the city (still remains my favourite city in the game, even if it is the most unluckiest!)

After that, I wandered to Skingrad...and out of all the houses I chose to explore, I had to choose that freaky zombie filled house. >_> After that, I stumbled upon Kvatch and got killed by Scamps, since I'd set the difficulty up pretty high. xD

But, like you said...that experience ran out after a month or two of playing. I still haven't explored every ruin/fort/cave...but I pretty much know how to do everything now. So, I keep interest by making up challenges like 'no magic using', or playing on max difficulty. (Which is such a pointless option, to be honest...since guards kill you in one hit...)

darkchrono
03-29-2008, 02:14 AM
How many of you liked reading through the literature in the world. As far as I know much of the literature has no bearing on the world at hand (other than to give further depth to the world in which you are playing in) but I still found it entertaining to read through many of the books.

You can tell they put alot of thought into the literature of the game just like everything else.