PDA

View Full Version : Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Fynn
01-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Once upon a time I played Breath of Fire I and II and found them to be EXTREMELLY crappy. Not so long ago, I played BoF IV and was amazed by it. Now I got DQ for Christmas - sweet! The game's terrific! The story is great, so is the atmosphere and graphics. I like the gameplay - I like innovative stuff in games. Saving is punishing, though (in the PAL version especially, since there is no possibility to quicksave) and the D-Counter is frustrating, though I think it kind of makes you feel the, I dunno, stress? The urgency of getting to the surface quickly? I'm at the Mid-Sector Market and my D-Counter is exactly 31.00% (went a little berserk in the battle with the machine thingy Zeno had) - should I be worried?

Anyway, topic:
What do you guys think of this game and the Breath of Fire series overall?

NeoCracker
01-01-2008, 11:34 PM
BoF 1 - Not really a bad game, but it kinda lacked a bit in every catagory. Still alright though.

BoF 2 - This game is amazing. A good mix of characters, great story, and I liked that gaining back AP genererally came at the cost of HP. (Well, except with the Wise Owl fruits).

While most things weren't that innovative, it was fun combined your characters with the Shamans and coming out with different forms. (Spar having 3 of them).

BoF 3 - Again, really fun. The story is good, (though I never got a chance to beat it), and the Master System was quite a nice touch to the series.

BoF 4 - Can't comment

DQ - This is a horrid excuse of a game. They should probably deny it's existence.

Cookie
01-01-2008, 11:40 PM
No. This game is :skull::skull::skull::skull:. I bought if for like 50p with some change I had or something, and I should've just bought some chocolate bars. The way it throws on the difficulty to goad you into doing the whole start again with buffed up characters or continue with slightly buffed up characters is just annoying. Given the choice of playing through the game at whatever relevant level I've reached one time, the first time, is enough. The first time I play a game, I don't want to be restarting over and over because everything about it seems to be designed to make you die.

Roto13
01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I played and liked BoF 1-4, but I'm afraid to try Dragon Quarter. It sounds awful. (And Nina looks anorexic!)

NeoCracker
01-01-2008, 11:59 PM
I played and liked BoF 1-4, but I'm afraid to try Dragon Quarter. It sounds awful. (And Nina looks anorexic!)

Avoid this game like moldy cheese.

Larahl
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I haven't really played the fifth yet, although I have it.
But someday I will, even though everyone said I should not, I want to try it anyway and see for myself if I'll like it or not.

I only played BF I and IV, and I really like them.
I was planning soon to start playing II or III.

LunarWeaver
01-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I didn't think it was all bad. I finished it at the very least, but it's set up to be played twice and I really can't do it again. I give it props for doing some new things, though not all of them were good. And the strange save system is easily exploited for good mojo if you know what to do.

I wouldn't worry much about the counter as long as you're careful. I ended with tons of time left.

McLovin'
01-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Only played number 3 and it was alright. Nice story and music.

Fynn
01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, I recommend renting first, seeing that this game isn't really popular, but you should see for yourself wether you like it or not. I love it, but besides the stuff I pointed out, I can't really say why...

Roogle
01-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm not a fan of games with only three playable characters unless the battle system is top-notch.

While I have always liked the Breath of Fire series, this one strayed a little too far from its series formula. I wonder if there will ever be another Breath of Fire game after this because this one likely did not sell well.

KoShiatar
01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm a Breath of Fire fan, but I'va only played them up to III. Dragon Quarter intrigues me, though.

Pure Strife
01-02-2008, 05:33 PM
My God I hate this game. I was blown away by BoF4, so thought i'd get this. Complete waste of money. I got as far as I could without the whole restart thing, then just gave up, largely because I wasn't having much fun with it anyway.

It's like a horrible, turn-based Diablo clone with no story and where nothing particularly interesting happens. The characters suck too. I found nothing at all to like about this game apart from the odd cool moment.

Crossblades
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
The Breath of fire series is pretty enjoyable. I' ve played all of them except Dragon Quarter and my absolute favorites is II and IV. I never liked III, but eventually I'm gonna give it a second chance.

Craig
01-02-2008, 11:54 PM
1: meh, nothing special. got bored

2: hey cool, you can like.. build a town or something still didnt get far though

3: absolutely love this game

4: cool game, got bored when i got to the bit where you run around a big field on a chicken though

5: not played it and dont plan to