PDA

View Full Version : OMG, that damn Windows

Killy
11-12-2001, 05:50 PM
Ok, I tried to update my Internet Explorer to 6.0 because I had some problems (see other thread) and it bugged. I can boot my computer anymore, I have to run in Safe Mode, and safe mode, And i dont know what to do. Can you help me? (Im currently using another computer to write this.

Squally Leonharty
11-12-2001, 06:36 PM
Heh, I have IE 6.0 installed without problems. :D

Anyway, when Windows is starting up, press F8. A Start Menu will show up. If you have Win ME, you'll see an option to start in Safe Mode with internet access (I don't know if it's possible in other Windows versions). When Windows is started in Safe Mode, download Opera from www.opera.com (that'll help you with browsing sites) and uninstall IE 6.0 using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Then use Opera to find an older version of IE (like 5.5) and download it. The problem will be fixed by then, I hope.
If not, try re-installing IE 6.0 under Safe Mode.

<b>Edit:</b>

Oh yeah, I forgot this. If you're using Win ME, try restoring your system to a point that is 1 day (or more) before you've installed IE 6.0. That'll help too. It'll undo the stuff the Setup has done.

Killy
11-12-2001, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know what am I supposed to do to be able to boot my Windows normally. I dont want to risk anything... And I Cant use Internet in safe Mode...

crono_logical
11-12-2001, 11:02 PM
You could try one of the things Squally suggested:

Boot into Safe Mode (don't worry about internet acces or whatever :p ), and run the System Restore. It should be in the Start Menu somewhere (I can't remember off the top of my head :D ). Try to select a date before when you installed IE6 but as close as possible to that time, and hopefully the computer will restore itself to exactly (near enough) what it was at that date and time you chose :)

Of course, this is assuming you haven't disabled System Restore somewhere, but most people don't do that (<I>I'm</I> not most people :p )

Killy
11-13-2001, 10:08 PM
I deactivated system restore. It says I never backed my system. But the file of the Directory where the Backup is place is 4 gigs, even if its empty.

crono_logical
11-13-2001, 10:25 PM
It's not empty, the files don't show because they're hidden (and possibly also marked as system) files, and you've disabled showing them in Windows. They'll be the backup from before you disabled System Restore, but if System Restore says you never made a backup, then they're virtually unuasble.

In Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, is there an option to uninstall IE6? Try that, you can still uninstall from safe mode :)

Killy
11-14-2001, 10:39 PM
Ok, the guy who installed my windows told me the registry(Sp) was corrupted, he wil fix it asap. You can now close this thread

Squally Leonharty
11-15-2001, 07:43 AM
Ah, if that was the case, it'd be very easily fixed. Just give the computer the command to restore the registry using a backup of a couple days ago. The computer automatically creates 5 backups every day. (that's what I heard so far)

Killy
11-15-2001, 05:20 PM
The guy told me something similar, but he told me not to mess with it... He will do it himself...

Squally Leonharty
11-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Okay then. :D He knows what he's doing. I hope. :p

crono_logical
11-16-2001, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Squally Leonharty
Ah, if that was the case, it'd be very easily fixed. Just give the computer the command to restore the registry using a backup of a couple days ago. The computer automatically creates 5 backups every day. (that's what I heard so far)

Actually, for WinME a backup's made at every successful reboot, otherwise every 24hrs the computer has been up and running for without a reboot, (not that WinME usually lasts that long without needing a reboot anyway :p ) :D

Good to hear eveythings fixed though, btw :)