PDA

View Full Version : PLAYOFFS?! Don't talk about PLAYOFFS!

Bloodline666
01-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Those were the infamous words of former Colts head coach Jim Mora, Sr. after his team got slaughtered by Jeff Garcia, T.O., and the San Fransisco 49ers.

Why do I bring up that quote? Because it's that time of year again in the NFL! Here's your Wild Card Weekend games, and who the Colts, Pats, Packers, and Cowboys could be facing the week after!

AFC:
Tennessee Titans (6) @ San Diego Chargers (3)
If the Chargers win, they take on the Colts. If the Titans win, they take on the Pats.

Jacksonville Jaguars (5) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (4)
If the Chargers defeat the Titans, the winner of this game plays the Pats. If the Titans beat the Chargers, the winner of this game takes on the Colts. This game in particular looks pretty interesting, to say the least. Don't be deceived by the fact that the Jaguars are a Southern team; they are BUILT for cold weather games, such as this one. They proved it by beating the Steelers IN THEIR OWN HOUSE in Week 15 of this season! So this game is must-see-TV, for sure.

NFC:
Washington Redskins (6) @ Seattle Seahawks (3)
If the Seahawks win this game, they will take on the Packers. If the Redskins win, they will take on their eternal archrival, the Dallas Cowboys.

New York Giants (5) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4)
If the Seahawks defeat the Redskins, the winner of this game takes on the Cowboys. If the Redskins beat the Seahawks, the winner of this game takes on the Packers.

Let the playoff talk and predictions...BEGIN!

Goldenboko
01-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Pats are gonna win the superbowl.
Discussion over. :p

Tavrobel
01-03-2008, 03:14 AM
I don't care who wins, just as long as the Patriots lose. I would even support the Cowboys if I had to, and as a Philadelphia fan, you can only conjecture as to how much I hate the Cowboys.

However, I do find that the playoffs should be a relatively good set this year, as the teams more or less seem to be balanced with their capabilities (with the sole exception of the maphacking Patriots). The one I look forward to the most is Titans/Chargers.

escobert
01-03-2008, 03:16 AM
I'm rooting for the redskins to be honest. I think they have the least chance xD but I like em.

edczxcvbnm
01-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Go Packers :D

Bloodline666
01-03-2008, 03:32 AM
To quote Jimmy Johnson, the only thing I have to say is...

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS?!

I'm rooting for the redskins to be honest. I think they have the least chance xD but I like em.

You know, I honestly thought that the Redskins' season was over when they tragically lost Sean Taylor forever. When I was at the Cowboys/Redskins game at Texas Stadium back in November, right before Thanksgiving, I knew Sean Taylor was out with a knee injury he suffered the week before. The thought that he would die the next week never once crossed my mind. So I was sad that I would never get to see my favorite team go up against Sean Taylor in a game with me in attendance.

As much as I hate the Redskins, I will give credit where credit is due; on ESPN, NFL analyst Mark Schlereth mentioned that the Redskins had the coach best equipped to lead them through this kind of adversity in Joe Gibbs. He was right. After losing the next game to Buffalo as a result of a coaching mistake, burying their fallen teammate the next day, AND having to play the Bears three days after THAT (thus making an already tough portion of their schedule even more brutal), the Redskins needed to win EACH of their last four games of the season just to get in the playoffs, and they did just that; while their record since Sean Taylor's death is 4-1, they have not lost a game since laying him to rest. Just goes to show you how dangerous a team playing with a heavy heart can be.

Ouch!
01-03-2008, 04:30 AM
As a Dolphin's fan, I have every reason to want to see the Pats lose. I hate the Jets out of obligation, but ever since I've started caring about football, it's the Patriots that constantly dismantle us. I hate the Patriots by choice. Further, I'm sure everyone knows that the Pats are on their way to joining the '72 Dolphins in their pursuit for perfection. I'm not the kind of fan that claims stuff his team did seventeen years before he was born, but damn it, it's nice for the Dolphins to hold on to something these days.

Despite all that, I want the Pats to win. Although I hate them, I find myself wanting them to win. I want to see them go undefeated through the Super Bowl. The Patriots are almost undeniably the best football team ever assembled, and damn it, I want them to win. I hate myself for it, but I want to see perfection in my lifetime.

Bloodline666
01-03-2008, 05:45 AM
As a Dolphin's fan, I have every reason to want to see the Pats lose. I hate the Jets out of obligation, but ever since I've started caring about football, it's the Patriots that constantly dismantle us. I hate the Patriots by choice. Further, I'm sure everyone knows that the Pats are on their way to joining the '72 Dolphins in their pursuit for perfection. I'm not the kind of fan that claims stuff his team did seventeen years before he was born, but damn it, it's nice for the Dolphins to hold on to something these days.

Despite all that, I want the Pats to win. Although I hate them, I find myself wanting them to win. I want to see them go undefeated through the Super Bowl. The Patriots are almost undeniably the best football team ever assembled, and damn it, I want them to win. I hate myself for it, but I want to see perfection in my lifetime.

Actually, if the Pats win the Super Bowl, there goes your Dolphins' badge of honor as the only TRUE undefeated team in NFL history (The 34 and 42 versions of the Bears went undefeated in the regular season, but lost the NFL championship game both times, which is why those two don't count as "Perfect Seasons").

By the way, good luck in the draft; you guys have the top pick, AND have Bill Parcells in your front office. He's already begun his shake-up of the organization, and I am confident that he will rebuild your Dolphins franchise to challenge the Pats' status as kings of the AFC East. Look what he's done to the Giants in the 80s, Pats in the early-to-mid 90s, Jets in the late 90s, and my Cowboys from 03-06. He is damn good at turning bad teams around, and he's very good at rebuilding teams that are leaking oil. His role in rebuilding the Cowboys organization is responsible for them going 13-3 this year. As Parcells once said after a personnel dispute with Pats owner Robert Kraft during his tenure there, "If you want me to cook the dinner, at least you ought to let me shop for some of the groceries, okay?" Parcells is VERY good at shopping for the groceries. He did just that with the Cowboys (albeit with Jerry Jones' credit card), but Wade Phillips was cooking the dinner this season to the tune of 13-3, an NFC East title, a first round bye, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Trust me, your Dolphins will be in good shape. I have a feeling Parcells will be stockpiling draft picks this year, whether he uses the first overall pick to do that, or if he uses Ricky Williams (who has been known to command draft picks in trades; look what the Saints gave up just to move up a measily two spots to draft him).

Ouch!
01-03-2008, 05:59 AM

Actually, if the Pats win the Super Bowl, there goes your Dolphins' badge of honor as the only TRUE undefeated team in NFL history (The 34 and 42 versions of the Bears went undefeated in the regular season, but lost the NFL championship game both times, which is why those two don't count as "Perfect Seasons").

By the way, good luck in the draft; you guys have the top pick, AND have Bill Parcells in your front office. He's already begun his shake-up of the organization, and I am confident that he will rebuild your Dolphins franchise to challenge the Pats' status as kings of the AFC East. Look what he's done to the Giants in the 80s, Pats in the early-to-mid 90s, Jets in the late 90s, and my Cowboys from 03-06. He is damn good at turning bad teams around, and he's very good at rebuilding teams that are leaking oil. His role in rebuilding the Cowboys organization is responsible for them going 13-3 this year. As Parcells once said after a personnel dispute with Pats owner Robert Kraft during his tenure there, "If you want me to cook the dinner, at least you ought to let me shop for some of the groceries, okay?" Parcells is VERY good at shopping for the groceries. He did just that with the Cowboys (albeit with Jerry Jones' credit card), but Wade Phillips was cooking the dinner this season to the tune of 13-3, an NFC East title, a first round bye, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Trust me, your Dolphins will be in good shape. I have a feeling Parcells will be stockpiling draft picks this year, whether he uses the first overall pick to do that, or if he uses Ricky Williams (who has been known to command draft picks in trades; look what the Saints gave up just to move up a measily two spots to draft him).
I'm well aware that the Pats winning will get rid of our, as you put it, badge of honor. Hence the internal conflict.

I don't doubt that Parcells is going to turn the Dolphins around. I'm just not expecting it to happen overnight. There's a lot that needs to be fixed, defensively and offensively. I definitely expect that we'll trade down with the first draft pick. There's too many positions we need to fill. The first pick is great, but one superstar won't fix enough of our problems.

Also, I think you're overly optimistic about Ricky Williams. I love the guy, to be sure, but he's not proven himself to be reliable. I'd hoped that had he stuck around this season, he might have done enough to attract attention for a good trade. As it stands, he's an unknown commodity, and I don't think anyone is going to be willing to make any big trades for someone who may or may not perform (or, in all actuality, even stick around). I don't expect to get anything of value for Ricky, so I think it might be best to hold him for a while longer. Besides, rushing-heavy teams is Parcells football; one could do a lot worse to start with than Ronnie and Ricky. Unless I'm entirely wrong and someone really wants Ricky, I don't see much value in trading him for less than he may be worth.

During the last game of the Dolphins season, there were some stats about teams turning around from a 1-15 season to the play-offs. The shortest was two years. The longest was four. At this point, I can stand to wait for either. I'm just glad to finally see some acknowledgment that change is necessary. The franchise has been jumping from one failed quick-fix to the next for too long. Picking up the Big Tuna was a step in the right direction; the Dolphins have been in sore need of an executive with Parcells's experience for a damn long time.

Bloodline666
01-03-2008, 06:12 AM

I'm well aware that the Pats winning will get rid of our, as you put it, badge of honor. Hence the internal conflict.

I don't doubt that Parcells is going to turn the Dolphins around. I'm just not expecting it to happen overnight. There's a lot that needs to be fixed, defensively and offensively. I definitely expect that we'll trade down with the first draft pick. There's too many posi<b></b>tions we need to fill. The first pick is great, but one superstar won't fix enough of our problems.

Also, I think you're overly optimistic about Ricky Williams. I love the guy, to be sure, but he's not proven himself to be reliable. I'd hoped that had he stuck around this season, he might have done enough to attract attention for a good trade. As it stands, he's an unknown commodity, and I don't think anyone is going to be willing to make any big trades for someone who may or may not perform (or, in all actuality, even stick around). I don't expect to get anything of value for Ricky, so I think it might be best to hold him for a while longer. Besides, rushing-heavy teams is Parcells football; one could do a lot worse to start with than Ronnie and Ricky. Unless I'm entirely wrong and someone really wants Ricky, I don't see much value in trading him for less than he may be worth.

During the last game of the Dolphins season, there were some stats about teams turning around from a 1-15 season to the play-offs. The shortest was two years. The longest was four. At this point, I can stand to wait for either. I'm just glad to finally see some acknowledgment that change is necessary. The franchise has been jumping from one failed quick-fix to the next for too long. Picking up the Big Tuna was a step in the right direction; the Dolphins have been in sore need of an executive with Parcells's experience for a damn long time.

Ahh...1-15 turnarounds! I vividly remember when the Cowboys went from 1-15 in 89, to the playoffs in 91. That was the record for shortest turnaround for 1-15 turnarounds. That was around the time I first started watching football, let alone became a Cowboys fan. And, that particular turnaround...produced not only a Super Bowl on the THIRD YEAR AFTER THE 1-15 SEASON, but it also spawned THREE Super Bowls in FOUR seasons. That alone should make two years a short time to wait. Don't think that the Dolphins can't go from 1-15 to a Super Bowl in three years, because it happened before. But what the Dolphins need for that to even be a remote possibility is a bonafide solution at quarterback. I, myself, have had to suffer with my team not having a franchise quarterback for 6 years (we are on QB number NINE since Troy Aikman's retirement, and that QB just happens to be that franchise QB we were looking for, and look what it did for the Cowboys). I can't even count how many QBs the Dolphins have gone through (including this season) since Dan Marino retired.

Ouch!
01-03-2008, 06:22 AM
I can't even count how many QBs the Dolphins have gone through (including this season) since Dan Marino retired.
I do believe Beck was the twelfth QB the Dolphins have started since Marino left the team. While I agree that a solid franchise QB will be important to the team, there are also a lot of other problems that need to be fixed. Our best players on defense are either at or nearing the end of their careers. The offensive line definitely needs some work. Satale did a good job starting at center as a rookie, and more of the line needs to see that same kind of development. We need to make some smart draft picks (as far as I know, only one of Saiban's picks is still on the team) and trades to renovate the whole team. We have to be beyond trying to find quick-fixes with new QBs.

Bloodline666
01-03-2008, 06:57 AM
I can't even count how many QBs the Dolphins have gone through (including this season) since Dan Marino retired.
I do believe Beck was the twelfth QB the Dolphins have started since Marino left the team. While I agree that a solid franchise QB will be important to the team, there are also a lot of other problems that need to be fixed. Our best players on defense are either at or nearing the end of their careers. The offensive line definitely needs some work. Satale did a good job starting at center as a rookie, and more of the line needs to see that same kind of development. We need to make some smart draft picks (as far as I know, only one of Saiban's picks is still on the team) and trades to renovate the whole team. We have to be beyond trying to find quick-fixes with new QBs.

Let's also not forget that injuries have certainly helped derail you guys. While I am counting my lucky stars that my team has the league's shortest IR list with two players, you guys' injury situation is so bad that Ricky Williams went on IR only six carries after being reinstated (which I believe could have been the result of an unsportsmanlike act).

Ouch!
01-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Let's also not forget that injuries have certainly helped derail you guys. While I am counting my lucky stars that my team has the league's shortest IR list with two players, you guys' injury situation is so bad that Ricky Williams went on IR only six carries after being reinstated (which I believe could have been the result of an unsportsmanlike act).
While the Dolphins are a terrible team--there's really no denying that--yes, one must recognize that just about everything bad that could feasibly happen to the team did happen to the team. There were so many injuries. I mean, let's put it this way; we had to bring Gado back only days after he'd been cut from the team because we'd lost all of our other running backs to injuries.

Also, Ricky got stepped on after a fumble. While the replay did make it look like the guy's foot was going a bit out of its way to land on Ricky's chest, I'm not going to go as far as saying it was foul play.

escobert
01-03-2008, 06:24 PM
My predictions for wild card weekend:
AFC:
Chargers. The Titans shouldn't even be in the playoffs imo. The defense is there but Vince Young is so unpredictable.

Jaguars. I think the jags will have little trouble with willie parker gone.

Washington Redskins (6) @ Seattle Seahawks (3)
Go redskins! this could be a good game right here. I'm going to go with the skins.

I think the Giants should win but who knows how Eli is going to play. I just don't see tampa doing it this year. maybe next.

Bloodline666
01-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Chargers. The Titans shouldn't even be in the playoffs imo. The defense is there but Vince Young is so unpredictable.

You have injuries to thank for that. Remember, Vince Young is on the cover of Madden 08, and I presume you are familiar with the "Madden Curse." Vince Young was hit with it. Not to mention the Titans went 0-3 when Albert Haynesworth (who I still despise to this day, thanks to his stomping act last year) went down with an injury. Had the Cleveland Clowns (as I call them) not choked against Ocho Cinco, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and the Bengals in Week 16 and the Colts not sat their starters in the second half last week, the Titans would be at home watching the Browns playing against LT2 and the Chargers. That Browns loss to Cincy gave the Titans an opportunity to clinch a playoff spot by virtue of the Conference Record tie-breaker over Cleveland, which they did. So Tennessee did have a few lucky dice roll in their favor.

However, should Vince Young reaggrivate his injury in any way, don't sleep on his backup, Kerry Collins. Since Young and Collins are two different styles of quarterback, it's gonna be tough for the Chargers to game-plan for both.

While it is true that Tennessee can stop the run and rush the passer, I will say that their secondary would be a lot more dangerous had the Pacman not gone to a Vegas strip club and "made it rain".

Jaguars. I think the jags will have little trouble with willie parker gone.

The Steelers could not beat the Jags in the regular season with Willie Parker in the line-up. So I would say whether or not they did have Willie Parker is irrelevant; simply put, the Jags are a team built for cold and inclement weather, despite the fact that they play their home games in Florida. That's scary, not only for the Steelers, but also for the Pats. However, it appears the Jags' defense is built to stop the run more than it is to stop the pass, which would play right into the Pats' hands, should they meet next week, or in the AFC title game. Abandoning the run is usually equivalent to either suicide, or waving the white flag, but we all know the complete opposite is true when the Pats abandon the run.

I think the Giants should win but who knows how Eli is going to play. I just don't see tampa doing it this year. maybe next.

The Giants have had a bad playoff history with a quarterback by the name of Jeff Garcia. The first time, the Giants had the Niners where they wanted them, but Jeff Garcia rallied the Niners to stave off the Giants in a come-from-behind victory. And of course, there's last year, when Jeff Garcia stepped in for Donovan McNabb in the middle of the season and rallied the Eagles to win the NFC East, and beat the Giants in the playoffs. Both times happened in this round of the playoffs. Well, the Giants this year have to take on the Bucs, whose starting quarterback just so happens to be...Jeff Garcia, the man who has tormented them in the playoffs twice already.

charliepanayi
01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
That last quarter in the Washington v Seattle game was crazy, the missed field goal for Washington was a huge turning point. Looks like I started tuning in at the right time by watching the last quarter only XD

I'm going for the Jaguars in the next one.

Bloodline666
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Next week on FOX!

Anyone remember the Overtime coin toss the Seahawks won and QB Matt Hasselbeck said in the ref's mic, "We want the ball and we're gonna score", only to see him throw a pass to Al Harris...who just happened to play for the other team and take the pick to the house to seal the game?

Well, we will see the long-awaited sequel to that debacle. Seahawks...Packers...in the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field!

Tavrobel
01-06-2008, 01:18 AM
HAH! The Skins. What a threatening rally that was, seriously. When I saw the score as being 14-13, I started freaking out. I'm going with the Jags on the next game, but the Steelers could still pull it off.

Bloodline666
01-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Ironically, I am a little upset the Skins lost. I wanted my Cowboys to be the team to eliminate them; they're OUR ancient foe, not Seattle's. But oh well; I have reasons for wanting to eliminate Tampa Bay AND the Giants, anyway.

As for the game at hand, looked bad for the Jags after Henderson was carted off...until Maurice Jones-Drew decided to look like Devin Hester and set up Fred Taylor to punch it in.

jaiman
01-06-2008, 02:18 AM
did u guys see the game last night? that touchdown was magic.Ricky Smithsonian Anderson has some reel skill

Bloodline666
01-06-2008, 02:51 AM
did u guys see the game last night? that touchdown was magic.Ricky Smithsonian Anderson has some reel skill

And what exactly does that have to do with the National Football League playoffs, especially when you consider the fact that there were absolutely ZERO NFL GAMES PLAYED LAST NIGHT?

Tavrobel
01-06-2008, 03:14 AM
And what exactly does that have to do with the National Football League playoffs, especially when you consider the fact that there were absolutely ZERO NFL GAMES PLAYED LAST NIGHT?

I Wikipedia'd it, and it [the name] apparently has a 100% relevance rate to country music.

Bloodline666
01-06-2008, 05:03 AM
I have a gut feeling the Jags are gonna put a HUGE scare into the Pats. I don't know about the Colts, though. The fact that the AFC South ended up being the league's toughest division should help the Jags. In fact, I believe the AFC South set the league record of best winning percentage by an entire division this season, from what I've heard; last place team ended up finishing at .500 even, while the other three teams had at least 10 wins.

Kirobaito
01-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Haha, I love seeing a silent and stunned Pittsburgh crowd. Go Jags.

escobert
01-06-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm sad the skins lost. For some reason I just hate Seattle. I do like the steelers so thats a :( but I don't mind the jags so I'm not sad about that at all.

The Unknown Guru
01-06-2008, 07:19 AM
The game at Seattle was just incredible. I had no clue their defense was capable of what it did today. The Redskins' offensive line was just getting murdered, getting shoved back into the QB and whatnot. The Seahawks even got a sack through a blocker. Some of the best defensive highlights I've seen in a long time. Go 'Hawks!

Bloodline666
01-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Haha, I love seeing a silent and stunned Pittsburgh crowd. Go Jags.

You willing to make a bet that it's gonna be Jags/Cowboys in Super Bowl XLII? I can just smell it now!

eestlinc
01-07-2008, 02:12 AM
go Seahawks! too bad they suck on the road, but the defense looks strong.

theundeadhero
01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
GO RAMS! I watched the Steelers stomp the Rams a couple of weeks ago from the 25 yard line and it was sweet. I hope the Steelers go all the way.

charliepanayi
01-07-2008, 09:55 PM
GO RAMS! I watched the Steelers stomp the Rams a couple of weeks ago from the 25 yard line and it was sweet. I hope the Steelers go all the way.

:confused:
You're a bit late, they're already out aren't they?

theundeadhero
01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Dunno :p

Tavrobel
01-07-2008, 11:01 PM

:confused:
You're a bit late, they're already out aren't they?

I think he's being intentionally dense.

Bloodline666
01-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Well, the National Nightmare continues...a team that should have been banned from post-season play this year is now a game away from the Super Bowl...

Tavrobel
01-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Are you as sad as I am? I should hope so, because this is an epic travesty.

escobert
01-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Goddammit.

El Bandito
01-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Sweet God. Mr. Brady goes 26 of 28 against one of the toughest D's in all of the NFL and they still manage to get 100 yards on the ground. Oh and that Moss guy (I hear he's pretty good) only caught one ball.

Spygate was blown way way waaaaay out of proportion. As my own coach Shanahan once was quoted, "If we haven't figured out the other team's defensive signals by halftime, we aren't trying hard enough". They already got punished, as I've said many times, any bad press is just giving them more fuel for their fire.

I don't even like the Patriots, but to say that they aren't one of the greatest teams ever is just ignorant. That offense is straight up disgusting and that defense is once again proving that they're not "too old" to get the job done.

Kirobaito
01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Antonio Gates is one BAMF. To even play with a dislocated toe is absurd.

Bloodline666
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Sweet God. Mr. Brady goes 26 of 28 against one of the toughest D's in all of the NFL and they still manage to get 100 yards on the ground. Oh and that Moss guy (I hear he's pretty good) only caught one ball.

Spygate was blown way way waaaaay out of proportion. As my own coach Shanahan once was quoted, "If we haven't figured out the other team's defensive signals by halftime, we aren't trying hard enough". They already got punished, as I've said many times, any bad press is just giving them more fuel for their fire.

I don't even like the Patriots, but to say that they aren't one of the greatest teams ever is just ignorant. That offense is straight up disgusting and that defense is once again proving that they're not "too old" to get the job done.

What even the media at large does NOT bring up is the fact that the Pats' cheating dates all the way back...to the strike-shortened season of 1982, when they played against the Miami Dolphins at Foxboro Stadium (then called Schaefer Stadium) in a game that was scoreless until the middle of the 4th quarter, when the Pats got into Field Goal range, and called a time-out, because they knew there was an inmate on work release operating the snow plow. They coerced the snowplow operator to drive the snowplow on the field to clear a spot for the field goal, much to the chagrin of an angry Don Shula. The field goal was good, and those were the only points scored in that game. To prevent such a blatant act of cheating from ever happening again, Shula, who was on the competition committee, proposed a rule outlawing the use of snowplows on the field of play. The rule passed, and now, kickers and holders have to clear a field goal spot with their own hands and feet.

That, coupled with Spygate, should be enough to make everything the Pats have done from 1982 until now suspect...even the two Super Bowls they went to with Tony Eason and Drew Bledsoe under center. By the way, the Super Bowl they lost to the Packers in...the ringleader of the Spygate operation (Belichick) was on the Pats' coaching staff under the Tuna.

Goldenboko
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, the National Nightmare continues...a team that should have been banned from post-season play this year is now a game away from the Super Bowl...

...Why?
Because of "Spygate"? Something that got blown out of proportion, many teams in the NFL do, and is really stupid because if you just watch the team you'll see that the work done by the offensive line, the wide receivers, the QB and the Running backs are what push the offensive, not defensive signs.

But then again, I guess everyone hates winners.

EDIT: Total love the fact Green Bay one, Favre is awesome, I love to see the older guys still showing how its done :o

Bloodline666
01-13-2008, 08:26 PM

...Why?
Because of "Spygate"? Something that got blown out of proportion, many teams in the NFL do, and is really stupid because if you just watch the team you'll see that the work done by the offensive line, the wide receivers, the QB and the Running backs are what push the offensive, not defensive signs.

EDIT: Total love the fact Green Bay one, Favre is awesome, I love to see the older guys still showing how its done :o

Not only because of Spygate, but because of how they were punished for it. Here's a few ways I think they probably should have been punished!

At minimum, the outcome of the Jets game where they were caught reversed
AFC East Division title, should they mathematically win it (which they did), surrendered to the second-place team (which this season would be the Bills)
Ban from 2007 Playoffs, regardless of record, division title, or wild card status
The draft pick they received from San Francisco either stripped or surrendered to another team (they lost their own 1st round draft pick, not San Fran's, who I think finished with 4 wins, and thus, they pick 7th as a result)
OR, at maximum, automatic 0-16, banned for the season, and all non-division opponents on their schedule awarded a win, with division opponents awarded 2 wins

See, if a team did this on the NCAA level, which is a LOWER tier than the NFL, that team would be surrendering wins, and possibly National Titles. In the Olympics, which is believed to be the highest tier in sports, any form of cheating, drug or otherwise, results in surrendering medals (look at Marion Jones). I don't get how the NFL (or the other major professional sports leagues, for that matter) has LOWER standards than the NCAA, and to me, that is sad! I do not take kindly to cheating at all, even to the most minor of degrees! Cheating is still cheating, and I feel that cheaters should never be rewarded, period! I feel that the NFL has been doing so, as evidenced by the lack of an asterisk by their 2007 season and records associated with it, not to mention the fact that the Commish destroyed the confiscated tapes without even letting the public know the full extent of Spygate. Those destroyed tapes could be a LOT more damning to the Pats than the one they got busted with. Those tapes could have contained evidence that Spygate had been going on for YEARS, thus putting a HUGE stain on the Super Bowls that they won, especially when you consider the fact that the Pats won all three of those Super Bowls by a margin of three points each. Somehow, I think the true extent of Spygate was covered up by the Commissioner.

Tavrobel
01-13-2008, 08:33 PM

No, we hate cheaters for all and more of the reasons stated in the post previous.

The last I checked, this was still a sport. Sports imply some form of honor system and the ever present "sportsmanlike conduct." Cheating is far from sportsmanlike, in the strictest sense. A fair playing field, where skills and team-play are most important. Anyone can buy a camcorder and record something. Where is the justice in that? Cheating, in the strictest sense, is lying and stealing.

charliepanayi
01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
So....how about them Patriots huh? :p

This San Diego v Indianapolis game is a pretty good ding-dong battle so far.

Kirobaito
01-13-2008, 08:52 PM
This SD Indy game is a really, REALLY good game. Probably not Pittsburgh-Jacksonville, but still a good game.

Bloodline666
01-13-2008, 08:59 PM
If this game comes down to a field goal, advantage Indy! Forget the fact that Vinatieri made a rare choke against the Chargers in the REGULAR season; this ain't the Regular Season! It's the season that REALLY counts!

The postseason track records of Nate Kaeding and Adam Vinatieri are well known.

Kaeding = choke artist!
Vinatieri = as clutch as it gets. He had two notable postseason gaffes, but neither was on a field goal; they were kickoffs, and both came in the Super Bowl. Both times, he kicked to the wrong person. Only the first time eventually cost his team the game.

Goldenboko
01-13-2008, 09:11 PM

...Why?

Not only because of Spygate, but because of how they were punished for it. Here's a few ways I think they probably should have been punished!

At minimum, the outcome of the Jets game where they were caught reversed
AFC East Division title, should they mathematically win it (which they did), surrendered to the second-place team (which this season would be the Bills)
Ban from 2007 Playoffs, regardless of record, division title, or wild card status
The draft pick they received from San Francisco either stripped or surrendered to another team (they lost their own 1st round draft pick, not San Fran's, who I think finished with 4 wins, and thus, they pick 7th as a result)
OR, at maximum, automatic 0-16, banned for the season, and all non-division opponents on their schedule awarded a win, with division opponents awarded 2 wins

See, if a team did this on the NCAA level, which is a LOWER tier than the NFL, that team would be surrendering wins, and possibly National Titles. In the Olympics, which is believed to be the highest tier in sports, any form of cheating, drug or otherwise, results in surrendering medals (look at Marion Jones). I don't get how the NFL (or the other major professional sports leagues, for that matter) has LOWER standards than the NCAA, and to me, that is sad! I do not take kindly to cheating at all, even to the most minor of degrees! Cheating is still cheating, and I feel that cheaters should never be rewarded, period! I feel that the NFL has been doing so, as evidenced by the lack of an asterisk by their 2007 season and records associated with it, not to mention the fact that the Commish destroyed the confiscated tapes without even letting the public know the full extent of Spygate. Those destroyed tapes could be a LOT more damning to the Pats than the one they got busted with. Those tapes could have contained evidence that Spygate had been going on for YEARS, thus putting a HUGE stain on the Super Bowls that they won, especially when you consider the fact that the Pats won all three of those Super Bowls by a margin of three points each. Somehow, I think the true extent of Spygate was covered up by the Commissioner.

Thats pure fanatic speak. Even much of the media said The way the Patriots where punish was actually setting an example because the league knew other teams where doing it, but didn't have incriminating evidence.
What you say about the tapes holds just as much ground as Bush saying there where nukes in Iraq :P

From listening to sports analysts, other teams have do this, so you can't take away anything. Its like how you can't take anything away from teams that had players that used steroids, you can't prove other teams had juiced players, but since you can assume it you can't penalize.

No, we hate cheaters for all and more of the reasons stated in the post previous.

The last I checked, this was still a sport. Sports imply some form of honor system and the ever present "sportsmanlike conduct." Cheating is far from sportsmanlike, in the strictest sense. A fair playing field, where skills and team-play are most important. Anyone can buy a camcorder and record something. Where is the justice in that? Cheating, in the strictest sense, is lying and stealing.

Even before Spygate, if you weren't a fan of the Patriots, you hated them.

Here's a question for you then, should everyone now say at least two of the Yankees seasons are now tainted forever, should be null and void, and the team deserves to be hated because Andy Pettitte, Chuck Noblack (sp?) and Roger Clemens took steriods? Of course not, thats foolish, (although I'm sure there's going to be some fanatics that say yes >.>) thats only part of the team, and you can assume in the steroid era, that other teams had juiced players too.

Then why should Spygate forever condemn The Patriots of this decade?
Buying recording and decoding signs will never win you a game, in fact...

As my own coach Shanahan once was quoted, "If we haven't figured out the other team's defensive signals by halftime, we aren't trying hard enough".
And,
Its probable (not just possible), that other teams have done it.

The reason some fans, (and some analysts), are going to condemn them, is because their bitter. They hated them in the first place, for winning, or otherwise. And this is just an excellent reason to condemn a team.

EDIT: 1:03 on the clock 4th and 5, Indy's in a pickle.

charliepanayi
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
And it's bye-bye to the Colts, what a game!

Bloodline666
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
That was the final game at the RCA Dome. Next year, they're going to a new stadium.

And Tony Dungy could retire from coaching within the next few weeks, which is sad, because he's one of the classiest coaches in the NFL, rivaled only by Joe Gibbs (who recently retired again as Redskins head coach).

Next on tap, Cowboys/Giants, a longtime division rivalry seeing the postseason for the first time EVER! That's right! While the Giants and Cowboys have had memorable games between each other (such as the first time these two teams met that ended in a tie, marking the first time the Cowboys did NOT lose, or the last game of the 93 season where not only the NFC East but also the number 1 seed was up for grabs, when Emmitt Smith rushed for over 100 yards with a separated shoulder to help the Cowboys win that division, or last year on Monday Night when Bledsoe got benched at halftime for what would turn out to be the remainder of his career, and a National Audience saw Tony Romo play for the first time), they have never met in the playoffs until today, so this is guaranteed to write a new chapter in the Giants/Cowboys rivalry, so getcha popcorn ready, folks!

So without further ado....(except for Tavrobel, who obviously hates both teams)

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS?!

El Bandito
01-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Well I guess the biggest fine in the history of the league and the first time ever a first round pick was taken away sure is nothing.

And if you hate "cheaters" like that, stop watching football. As I said, the practice of trying to figure out the other coach's signals is commonplace. I remember that some coaches even went as far as hiring lip-readers as "assistants" to try and read the other coach's actual plays straight from the mouth at one point.

Honestly, at this point, I'm just going to let the haters hate. When the Broncos won their back-to-back Superbowls I remember how much Elway hate I heard. When you're the best, everyone gets jealous. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching one of the greatest dynasties in the history of sports led by one of the greatest QB's football has ever seen.

Tavrobel
01-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Even before Spygate, if you weren't a fan of the Patriots, you hated them.

Here's a question for you then, should everyone now say at least two of the Yankees seasons are now tainted forever, should be null and void, and the team deserves to be hated because Andy Pettitte, Chuck Noblack (sp?) and Roger Clemens took steriods? Of course not, thats foolish, (although I'm sure there's going to be some fanatics that say yes >.>) thats only part of the team, and you can assume in the steroid era, that other teams had juiced players too.
Really? Because I hated them before they beat the Vikings in that god-awful game in the snow. The difference is that I could care less about professional baseball.

Bloodline took my line. I wanted to say it in a derisive manner. As for Chargers/Colts, one interjection. Uggh.

Del Murder
01-14-2008, 04:00 AM
Green Bay over Patriots would be fun, but unlikely.

ljkkjlcm9
01-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Green Bay over Patriots would be fun, but unlikely.

They have the best chance of beating the Pats of the 3 teams that are left

THE JACKEL

charliepanayi
01-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Into the 3rd quarter, San Diego only behind 12-14 at the moment. They're hanging on in there. Famous last words I guess... XD

EDIT: New England march on 21-12.

Tavrobel
01-20-2008, 11:33 PM
It was a disappointing loss for me as well, but did anyone here seriously think that the Chargers would beat New England? Hate and anger aside, peoples. And they were doing so well!

The game is about to start. Go Packers. To a lesser extent, go New York, because it would be funny if Eli beat Brady in the Super Bowl. That would make my day, you know, because of the nepotistic feeling of it. Poor Peyton.

EDIT: Giants just won. 47 yard field goal after a missed 36 (something in the thirties?) in Overtime. GG Green Bay.

El Bandito
01-21-2008, 04:32 AM
Wow, bad decision Brett Favre sure picked a bad time to make a reappearance. I thought for sure after Tynes missed that FG at the end of regulation there was no way the Giants could come back from such a heartbreak (see 1998 Minnesota Vikings), but that throw was terrible.

Man, Patriots-Giants is way more lame than Packers-Patriots.

Tavrobel
01-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Wassup week 17?

ljkkjlcm9
01-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Wassup week 17?

that was the Giants best game of the season... in week 17... and they still lost to the Patriots.

THE JACKEL

charliepanayi
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I guess it's too much to hope the Superbowl will anywhere near as good as the game between the Giants and Patriots was at the end of the regular season. Still, the way of the neutral is to support the underdogs so come on New York!

I'm amazed after the two he missed, Tynes then managed to nail the 47 yard attempt in overtime. The Giants were the better team, they just kept passing up the chance to win the game. They can't afford to do that against New England.

Tavrobel
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Wassup week 17?

that was the Giants best game of the season... in week 17... and they still lost to the Patriots.

THE JACKAL

I don't suppose that it's too much to hope that they will rectify this situation?

Del Murder
01-22-2008, 01:38 AM
I would have rather see Favre go in there for one last hurrah. Giants don't really seem to be in New England's league, but they have been pretty good as of late so maybe this will be a good show. I bet the media is happy with this, though Green Bay has a good media backing as well.