PDA

View Full Version : Turn off the fish light?

Lawr
01-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Should I turn off the aquarium light at night when I'm going to sleep? Is that healthy for them or something?

Yamaneko
01-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Funny you should make this thread. I just turned off the light in my fish tank just now. With tropical plants it's usually recommended you have the light on for around 10-12 hours a day (to simulate the day cycle in the tropics most of these plants and fish live in). I would adjust accordingly depending on what kind of fish and plants you have in your tank. Although definitely turn off the light at night.

rubah
01-03-2008, 08:13 AM
we usually left ours on, but also all our fish died relatively quickly. However, in the words of, ahem, <em>Raistlin</em> 'CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION RAH RAH RAH'.

Shoeberto
01-03-2008, 08:33 AM
I would think that having the light on all the time would cause algae to grow faster, and too much of that can definitely be bad for your aquarium. I'd do what Yams said.

Jessweeee♪
01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
What about always leaving it off? My grandpa is trying that and the only thing different is that one of them has a hunch on their back.

rubah
01-03-2008, 05:43 PM
probably make them depressed and ready to kill themselves because they have mad deformities.

Flying Mullet
01-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Definitely do similar to what Yams said. Find out what the light requirements are for the species of fish you have (and any plants if you decided on live plants in your tank).

A lot of people think that getting a fish tank means buying random, pretty fish and putting them in a tank with some gravel, a couple of fake plants and a recirculating filter of some sort. You'll be amazed at how your fish thrive if you do some basic, quick research into their ideal habitat and environment.

Renmiri
01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I turn it off every night. It is healthier for them to have a period of low light / low activity. Besides, the little pricks know lights on = food in the morning and get very active, almost eating it out of my finger :D

Lawr
01-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I would think that having the light on all the time would cause algae to grow faster, and too much of that can definitely be bad for your aquarium. I'd do what Yams said.

Yeah, we had an algae outbreak once, it was terrible. But it's all cleaned now.

Thank you for the advice! :kaoyatta:

Speaking of fish, I had four Neon Tetras and I always wondered why they were so cheap. I think it's because they always manage to find a way to kill themselves. :rolleyes2

Yrkoon
01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
fish need to sleep and have a day and night cycle just like us especially if you have any nocturnal catfish etc.

its harmful for the fish if the light is on for 24 hours a day.

i tend to keep my tanks on for about 6-8 hours a day starting from the late after noon or evening.

also algae is actually very good for the water it just looks unsightly to us the reason its good is because it sucks up nitrates out of the water and nitrates aren't to good for fish i believe it also adds some oxygen tho may be wrong on the oxygen point.

edit: algae produces oxygen during the day and carbon dioxide during the night just like any other plant.

fish poops or pees or uneaten food the waste makes ammonia then that turns to nitrites and then gets broken down to nitrates by bacteria in the tank and filters.

ammonia =very bad for fish eg burning gills
nitrites =not as bad
nitrates=not as bad again keep on top with water changes in a cycled tank :)

a cycled tank should read :

ammonia =0
nitrites =0
nitrates = between 10-20 ppm

The Oscar Spot - The Oscar Spot - Index (http://www.theoscarspot.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=49)

have a look at that link theres tons of good information there on fish keeping :)