PDA

View Full Version : Ps3, Pro's amd Con's

Kanshisha
01-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Well? what's good and bad about the new shiny Ps3?
Discuss

JKTrix
01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Some things may be different in Australia.

Cons first:
-Price
-Cheaper system can't play PS1/PS2 disc games
-No rumble controller officially released for us yet (Already out in Japan, expected to come out in 'Spring' in US/Europe areas. Maybe includes Australia)
-Big chunk of its value is lost if you don't have an HD screen.
-Bluetooth remote (i.e. cannot be used with a normal Universal remote)

Pros:
-Excellent multimedia centre (BluRay, DVD, networked media)
-One of the cheaper BluRay players, especially of the 1.1 variety
-PlayStation Network (PSN is free)
-Decent chunk of games available, a couple more high profile ones coming real soon

To get the most out of the PS3 and its features you should have an HD screen and broadband Internet access. Also for some of the 'media centre' abilities you need a network hooked up.

Mr Cactuar
01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Pros

- FFXIII compilation, good ol' speculation of likely FFVII remake, KH3 most likely, MGS4, Tekken, maybe Killzone 2, depending on if it's anything like the first..
- PSN cos its free.
- Controller, better then Xbox controller in my opinion.
- Media options.
- Graphics.

Cons

- Price.
- Lack of games at the moment.
- Price.
- Cos PSN is free, it isn't as good as Xbox Live and won't have as many players.
- Price.
- The number of different types of it after a year is just confusing.
- Price.

I'd say PS3 is worth buying, but definitely not yet.

Dreddz
01-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Pros:
- Region Free
- Great Multimedia System
- Web Browsing
- Quiet as a mouse
- Promising Future line-up
- Most Powerful System
- Dirt cheap for what your getting
- Free Online, how it should be.
- Low failure rate. Reliable.

Cons:
- Forced System Updates
- Delays
- One big mutha....
- Too many different versions. Confusing for consumer.
- Price, but it isnt that expensive now. I think people go overboard with this one.

Northcrest
01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
The only con I really have is without the aircooler attached it overheats quick.

KentaRawr!
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Can't really say much, since I've only used my friend's PS3, but I'll give it a go:

Pros:

Well made controller, very light.

Cons:

It's a large system. :3

Old Manus
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
- Cos PSN is free, it won't have as many players.lol wut?

Kanshisha
01-03-2008, 11:38 PM
well, thanks guys! i have the PS3 that also plays back to PS1 and 2 games. so yeah.. what i think is a pro as well is that the controller is wire less ^.^!

Roto13
01-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Well the controller being wireless is the standard this generation. It's like saying "Pro: There's analog sticks" :P

Mr Cactuar
01-04-2008, 03:22 AM
- Cos PSN is free, it won't have as many players.lol wut?

:skull::skull::skull::skull:, thanks for pointing that out haha.

Cos there isn't as many people with PS3's and not that many PSN games, there won't be as many players.

JKTrix
01-04-2008, 03:45 AM
The controller being light is because it doesn't have Rumble. It actually feels like a cheap toy.

On that note, I will be picking up my DualShock 3 tomorrow. Yay.

And the Region Free thing totally slipped my mind. Definitely a 'pro' for people like me.

I haven't really heard of PS3s 'overheating', outside of the random people who have it in closed spaces. Even then, it doesn't seem to 'overheat' to the point of crashing.

NeoCracker
01-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Only Real Cons are Price, lack of Games, and Size.

And chances are, Price won't be a problem for too long.

And Games are definately starting to look better. Tekken 6, SC4, Last Remanent (I think it may be on 360 too, but who knows, I'd rather play it off the PS2 due to the nicer controller)

There really isn't much to do about the size.

Hambone
01-04-2008, 09:24 AM
The only con I really have is without the aircooler attached it overheats quick.

Joseph, just because it gets warm, that doesn't mean it's overheated..
Pros:

Internet! I'm posting this from my PS3
Pretty much everything my friend Dreddz said.
Backwards compatibility! I'm able to play FFVII again!

Cons:

A bit large and heavy
A lot of important accessories aren't included when you buy it.

Markus. D
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Pros

- Graphics
- Game variety and list is getting better as time goes on
- Genji II spawned a phenomenon xD...
- Big hate base :D
- Lots of updates to keep the system sharp and pointy <3

Cons

- A bit massive (not that it's meant to be portable...)
- Big hate base :[
- Not everyone has hi-def televiosions yet, maybe soon~
- Forced Updates

JKTrix
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Also, another Pro-that's-a-con-but-then-it's-a-pro-again:

Installed Games.

The con side is that it takes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to perform the installation (and it takes a bite out of your harddrive space), but the ultimate 'pro' is that games load super quick. Right now, the only games I have that have 'installed' are Virtua Fighter and Ninja Gaiden, but I think Devil May Cry 4 is going to have the feature as well. Hopefully Burnout will do it too. I think the Install feature is a major 'plus' for the PS3 version of multi-platform games because it outweighs my personal preference for the 360's pad setup, Achievements and online service.

Rainecloud
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Con = Price.

And that, my friends, is the only reason I haven't purchased one. :(

Kanshisha
01-05-2008, 07:12 AM
I've got a question.. I have a 40gb PS3, but some how, i can play FF7 on it, but nothing else except the general PS3 games. I played FF7 ( a ps1 game ) but cannot play a Ps2 game like Kh and Dirge of Cerberus. Why is this?

phbr
01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
You can play nearly all PS1 games with the 40GB PS3, only PS2 emulation is not possible...

It doesn't really make sense that they removed the _software_ based PS2 emulation, but here are their reasons:

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

Official SCEE announcement... PS1 compatibility could be related to the PlayStation Classics downloads at the PSN.

Ashley Schovitz
01-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know where people are getting lack og good games for console for the PS3 right now I can name 8!
Cons Price

Pros Blu Ray free internet great games all packs contain wireless rechargeable controllers.

I

Cleansation
01-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I love my ps3.

It's free to go online and download demos - you can browse the internet with it - you can install linux - you can upgrade it's hard disk(i got a 300 gb one in mine) and then watch all your fav show on it direct from it.

Also i just finnished uncharted, easily the best game i have played this year (well finnished it before jan 1 ! ), ratchet and clank is just the best platformer and with metal gear 4, final fantasy, jak and daxter, uncharted 2, little big planet and heavy rain coming up i will end up having no life outside of the ps3 (maybe that's a con. :p)

I also enjoy watching blu ray movies (that just pretty much won the war yesterday), the machine just smells of quality hardware and i'm always more than happy to pay a little for to get better quality no matter what we are talking about.

Also it is region free meaning that i can play final fantasy if square enix decides to release it in japan a long time before europe again. :)

Only really bad things is that it is so hard to port games from pc/360 to ps3 and the horrible triggers on the controller (but the controllers battery lifetime is amazing).

MistaCloudStrife
01-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Cons:
-Price (of course, although it's probably the best deal console-wise when considering amount it takes to manufacture and the amount they actually sell it for) I wouldn't say that the price is too much for me right now, but if only there were more games that would make up for the high price, then I wouldn't really care.
-Game Library (All of the games I'm waiting for haven't come out yet)
-Size (Again, something I really don't care about) But when you think about what Sony has done in the past, I think it's almost guaranteed that they'll come out with a smaller version some time in the future.(You know, since they did it with, the PS(PSone), PS2(PS2Slim), and PSP(PSPSlim).
-Relatively small fanbase as of now, compared to the other next-gen systems. This is probably one of the bigger problems. Smaller fanbase means less money(which is overall pretty bad for the company) and it turns some game developers away from creating a game for the system.(Mainly first party games, which is very bad) Not to mention some first party games will switch over to other systems or go multi-platform, which is, again, pretty bad.

Pros:
-Awesome graphics. I just so happen to have an HDTV, so I can't complain about how I won't be using the full potential of the PS3 graphics-wise.
-Free Online. You're already paying for your internet, why have to pay for internet AGAIN using your own internet?
-Region Free Games. Great for when a game doesn't come out for the US, but does for Europe.(Usually doesn't happen, but when it does, it's useful) And Vice-Versa.
-BluRay. Better than getting a BluRay Player. And if they ever win the format war... well it won't be a pretty sight for the HD-DVD and the people that own them.
-PSP connection. I'm not sure if it's out but you'll be able to connect with your PSP and play emu PSone games that you've downloaded on your PS3 onto your PSP.

Slothy
01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Con = Price.

And that, my friends, is the only reason I haven't purchased one. :(

The PS3 may be expensive, but so is the 360 for that matter. Seeing as how I could go out tomorrow and buy a PS3 for the same price as a 360, I wouldn't say the price is a con.

Personally, I don't have any cons for the system. I have a lot of great games for mine that I love, hard drive installs are quick when a game features them, (if you want to talk about long installs JKtrix, I have some PC games that downright drive me mad. Waiting even ten minutes, which I doubt I've had to, for a PS3 game to install doesn't bother me at all), and I have no problem with forced downloads. With my internet connection, they go quickly, and I can easily just set my PS3 up to download when I don't plan on playing. You only absolutely need them if you play online or want access to the Playstation Store, and if you have no internet connection for your PS3, or a particularly slow, or spotty one, then playing online wouldn't be a very fun experience anyway. You can always download them on your PC and transfer them over later anyway if your PS3 has trouble getting a decent connection for some reason.

As for pros, everyone else has made some good lists so I won't add too much except to say that the controllers are rechargeable. There is nothing I hate more than having to replace batteries, or be expected to buy rechargeable batteries later. The PS3 controllers come with them, and they last a good long while. To me, it makes no sense to not include rechargeable batteries with a wireless controller these days.

Northcrest
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Well I don't want to start something but that I never that it was so great for me to use the PS3 on the Internet. It was cool being able to see some TV shows from the small screen computer to your big screen TV. Other than that typing was kind of difficult for me. My parents though are thinking about getting me the PS3 keyboard. Though I still prefer using my Computer for most internet things.

Serapy
01-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Another pro: PS3 can support up to 1080p, whereas 360 doesn't (only 1080i) but 1080p is a lot better.

Roto13
01-06-2008, 12:22 AM
No cons? At all? Really? That's not a little bit fanboyish?

Slothy
01-06-2008, 07:30 AM

And your seeming unconditional love of everything Wii and DS isn't Roto?

I merely meant I personally don't have a problem with any of the cons others have listed. Price wasn't an issue for me, and is no more of an issue than if someone were buying a 360 anymore; I have plenty of games I like for it now, with many on the way, and I also don't mind system updates, or hard drive installs. Granted, when it came out it had some issues with my router, and getting stable net connection, but those were sorted with those system updates people seem to be knocking.

If I really felt like trying to find a problem, I could easily say that the motion control seems unnecessary as no one has used it well outside of Warhawk (and even then, the analog sticks are easier to use and more accurate), but I feel that way about motion control in general this gen, and it's use in PS3 games has rarely detracted from the gameplay experience for me. I don't hate that it's there, but I'm waiting for it to be used well. Maybe Kojima will have been able to do something innovative with it when MGS4 comes out.

XxSephirothxX
01-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Another pro: PS3 can support up to 1080p, whereas 360 doesn't (only 1080i) but 1080p is a lot better.
This is false. Both consoles support 1080p.

starseeker
01-06-2008, 10:42 AM

But there isn't anything in 1080i/p out anyway. The HD stuff you get now is just 720p.

XxSephirothxX
01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
There are tons of monitors and televisions that support 1080p. :p

Roto13
01-06-2008, 06:00 PM

And your seeming unconditional love of everything Wii and DS isn't Roto?

I merely meant I personally don't have a problem with any of the cons others have listed.

Bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:. You said you didn't have any problems. And yeah, I like the Wii, but I can recognize it's problems. The motion sensing isn't often put to good use, they're still struggling with decent 3rd party games like they have been since the N64, and the internal storage sucks.

You had to strain yourself to find a problem with the PS3 that's barely a problem at all. You're a fanboy. You're what dreddz used to be before he realized that he was getting on everyone's nerves and calmed the hell down.

Dreddz
01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
You're a fanboy. You're what dreddz used to be before he realized that he was getting on everyone's nerves and calmed the hell down.

Actually I just got frustrated trying to reason with you lot. Its easy to call someone a fanboy when your backed up by other people saying the same thing. And I never felt like I was a fanboy of any console, I just critisized the Wii. But of course none of you could accept it so bitched bitched bitched. Oh and its easy to say crap about your own console when put in the spotlight, doesnt make you any less of a fanboy.

Fanboys calling other people fanboys, ahhhh the irony.

Roto13
01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh, be quiet. Yeah, everyone was calling you a fanboy, and you turned around and blamed it on me instead of taking a step back and seeing if it could actually be true.

I'm actually planning on getting a PS3 when MGS 4 comes out. Vivi there, though, can't even see any real negative things about his precious PS3 because he's so blinded by his raging fanboyism. Go look and see for yourself.

Gennosuke
01-06-2008, 09:28 PM

But there isn't anything in 1080i/p out anyway. The HD stuff you get now is just 720p.

A few games for the PS3 are 1080p, Tekken 5, Ridge Racer 7, Toy Home, but most EA games only run 720p, Warhawk runs 720p also, a pro is Final Fantasy XIII:D

Cleansation
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM

There are a couple of games out but most importantly Blu ray movies.

Serapy
01-06-2008, 10:10 PM

Technically, yes 360 can view 1080p display but the results from PS3 with 1080p are better than 360 on HDTVs due to some PS3's display features. ;)

I have owned 360, I adjusted 360 with my 32inch Samsung HDTV to view the best graphics as possible and the graphics were amazing, no doubt about that. I found the games less fun. So I gave 360 back because of reasons, months later I finally have bought PS3. Adjusted PS3 with my HDTV, the graphics were AMAZING! Better 1080p graphics than 360 and so far I love PS3 :)

Oh yes, another pro - the biggest company (Warner) has claimed that Blu-Ray will make exclusive for the fourthcoming movies because Blu-Ray won over the format war against HD DVD. :D

Pro: The PS3 games online is FREE! You don't have to pay.... on 360, you have to pay for it :P

Con? The new version of PS3 doesn't have BC, but that doesn't seem a problem to me because I already got a PS2 ;)

I heard that Blu-Ray company said that they are making larger amount of discs (more than 100gb). In the future, imagine an overpowered PS3 game on a 100gb blu-ray disc? That will be godly.

JKTrix
01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Update: Dual Shock 3 is WONDERFUL. It's just rumble and a lot heavier, but it feels great. Playing Burnout with Dreddz the other night (though I suck) was so much better with it. Get the Dual Shock when it comes out.

As for 1080p games, the only one (of the 6) PS3 games I have that support it is Ninja Gaiden. I have 9 360 games in my hand that support it (a few that one might not expect given the nature of them... Katamari? Bullet Witch? Earth Defense Force?! lol).

@Serapy: As far as '1080p looking better on PS3 than 360', that's merely opinion. For one thing, you didn't have both of them at the same time to compare. Another, we don't know if you played the same game on PS3 that you did on the 360. And your comment on 'not being an Xbox fan' places some doubt on your objective perception.

There are some actual 'Xbox vs PS3' comparison videos for several games out there. Many of them are identical, and some show some subtle differences with the PS3's ability to perform additional visual tricks (check Oblivion and Armored Core for the 'visual tricks' one). Whether the 'visual tricks' are better is just up to one's own preference. More recent comparisons like one with Devil May Cry 4 show Zero graphical difference.

Whether one version looks better than the other is up to the people making the game, not the 360 itself.

Serapy
01-06-2008, 10:37 PM
that's merely opinion. For one thing, you didn't have both of them at the same time to compare. Another, we don't know if you played the same game on PS3 that you did on the 360. And your comment on 'not being an Xbox fan' places some doubt on your objective perception.

Uhm, of course it's my opinion, so what? But I really think that PS3 graphics on 1080p is better, I already have played 360 before and I chose PS3.
The 360 graphics are amazing also, but that doesn't make me being a fan, it's not like I hate 360.

Those videos you were talking about weren't perfect, if you played each console in real life, you will see a big difference. I had that difference when I played both consoles.

Someone has hacked 360 and made a mod chip for it, basically you can play pirated games (with the modchip) on it which is kind of not good for the game developers (money). Nobody has hacked PS3 yet because it's stronger (due to the cell processor). I don't know if someone will ever hack PS3 in the future, probably not for a while.

I believe that PS3 has potential for making better games in the future.

If you think that 360 is better then don't bother aguring with me, after all it's my opinion.

Cleansation
01-06-2008, 10:50 PM
There has been made a ps3 firmware that plays pirated games - sadly only for the very first firmware and the hole in the security has now been shut.

Fonzie
01-07-2008, 01:13 AM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x72/TheFonz2010/ps3grill_2006-11-21.jpg

One Con, the grill doesn't cook at great as my conventional stove. :(

Mr Cactuar
01-07-2008, 02:41 AM
This is the thing that smurfing pisses me off. Fanboys of any consoles just arguing and arguing as if it really matters.

They all play video games. They can all be fun to play. They all have Pro's and they all have Con's. You may find one to be better then the other two but hey, it doesn't stop that console from being bad. Its all taste.

Period.

Serapy
01-07-2008, 03:07 AM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x72/TheFonz2010/ps3grill_2006-11-21.jpg

One Con, the grill doesn't cook at great as my conventional stove. :(

xD, I rather have this!

http://www.freakware.de/news/ps3-grill.jpg

Madame Adequate
01-07-2008, 03:33 AM
This is the thing that smurfing pisses me off. Fanboys of any consoles just arguing and arguing as if it really matters.

They all play video games. They can all be fun to play. They all have Pro's and they all have Con's. You may find one to be better then the other two but hey, it doesn't stop that console from being bad. Its all taste.

Period.

I agree. We're all gamers, first and foremost. Whether we happen to prefer obscure text adventures from the mid 1980s, or the latest shooters, shouldn't matter.

I like that I can enjoy Shadow of the Colossus, Space Empires V, and Halo 3. I don't see any reason to limit myself by genre or console.

Skyblade
01-07-2008, 03:39 AM

Technically, yes 360 can view 1080p display but the results from PS3 with 1080p are better than 360 on HDTVs due to some PS3's display features. ;)

I have owned 360, I adjusted 360 with my 32inch Samsung HDTV to view the best graphics as possible and the graphics were amazing, no doubt about that. I found the games less fun. So I gave 360 back because of reasons, months later I finally have bought PS3. Adjusted PS3 with my HDTV, the graphics were AMAZING! Better 1080p graphics than 360 and so far I love PS3 :)

Oh yes, another pro - the biggest company (Warner) has claimed that Blu-Ray will make exclusive for the fourthcoming movies because Blu-Ray won over the format war against HD DVD. :D

Pro: The PS3 games online is FREE! You don't have to pay.... on 360, you have to pay for it :P

Con? The new version of PS3 doesn't have BC, but that doesn't seem a problem to me because I already got a PS2 ;)

I heard that Blu-Ray company said that they are making larger amount of discs (more than 100gb). In the future, imagine an overpowered PS3 game on a 100gb blu-ray disc? That will be godly.

Oh, give me a break. Am I the only one sick of hearing about the 1080i/p thing? Not content simply to argue about which console supports which, you're now arguing in about the quality of the same level of resolution. Who cares?! I'm happy with the Wii's graphics. Certainly, they're not as good as either the 360 or the PS3, but they're nice, and that's not the purpose of a video game system. I don't buy consoles becasue "ooh, this one's capable of processing 3hz faster than that one", or "yay, this one can play all the movies that are going to come out for the next few years until a new format is designed". If I want a movie player, I'll go buy a frelling movie player. I buy a gaming console for the games. You know, those things that the consoles are supposed to be designed for? So what if one system has a slight graphical edge over another? I buy the things to have fun. I don't want to waste a lot of money on a lot of bonus features like slightly enhanced graphics and movie players, I just want a console that can play fun games. That's it.

MistaCloudStrife
01-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Oh, be quiet. Yeah, everyone was calling you a fanboy, and you turned around and blamed it on me instead of taking a step back and seeing if it could actually be true.

I'm actually planning on getting a PS3 when MGS 4 comes out. Vivi there, though, can't even see any real negative things about his precious PS3 because he's so blinded by his raging fanboyism. Go look and see for yourself.

Just because someone doesn't think there's anything wrong with the PS3 doesn't make him a fanboy. Things like the price, the game library and the size of the console CAN be considered bad to some, while other might think it's just fine.

Just because you can see no faults in a certain something doesn't make you a fanboy. If I were to look at a #2 pencil and think it's perfectly fine, but some retard with a stick up his ass comes along and notices some slight irregularities with my said pencil, and points them out doesn't mean I'm a Pencil fanboy.(Yeah, great analogy, I know) In fact, it just means that the retard that can't seem to get it into his head that maybe I don't give a flying **** if my pencil is slightly irregular. It does it's job, and I'm content with it.

Roto13
01-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Go read his post history.

MistaCloudStrife
01-07-2008, 05:15 AM
God. What was the point of that? I ended up reading needlessly long, boring, explanatory posts for longer than what my attention span can handle. I don't see your point. Backing up the PS3 and putting down the Wii doesn't = Fanboy. It's all opinion, and having a personal opinion can't possibly mean that he's a fanboy. I may have an inkling that he may be, but nothing set in stone as of yet, so I reserve my judgment until then.

XxSephirothxX
01-07-2008, 05:16 AM

Trix already hit on it, but I just wanted to reiterate that it doesn't make a lot of sense. Since 1080p is simply a resolution, those comparisons are almost worthless unless you were playing the same two games. So many factors that have nothing to do with the actual capabilities of either system can effect display. Like the game's actual technology. I mean, you could be playing Katamari Damacy on the 360 and Uncharted on the PS3. Of course the latter is going to look better in comparison. :p Component/VGA/HDMI input. What resolution the games support. From my experience with the Playstation 3, there are absolutely no "display features" that make it display "better" at 1920x1080. The nitty gritty technical details of processor, memory, and all that :skull::skull::skull::skull: is another matter, but that is separate from the resolution.

Oh, give me a break. Am I the only one sick of hearing about the 1080i/p thing? Not content simply to argue about which console supports which, you're now arguing in about the quality of the same level of resolution. Who cares?! I'm happy with the Wii's graphics. Certainly, they're not as good as either the 360 or the PS3, but they're nice, and that's not the purpose of a video game system. I don't buy consoles becasue "ooh, this one's capable of processing 3hz faster than that one", or "yay, this one can play all the movies that are going to come out for the next few years until a new format is designed". If I want a movie player, I'll go buy a frelling movie player. I buy a gaming console for the games. You know, those things that the consoles are supposed to be designed for? So what if one system has a slight graphical edge over another? I buy the things to have fun. I don't want to waste a lot of money on a lot of bonus features like slightly enhanced graphics and movie players, I just want a console that can play fun games. That's it.
Well, sure. The games are the ultimate important factor. But that's also a limited way to look at it. I'll watch a movie like The Godfather for a masterful story; I'll watch a movie like Children of Men for the incredible cinematography. If you don't find things like high dynamic range lighting or more photo-realistic graphics important to your experience, that's fine. But just like some people would rather play a game for the plot over the way it actually plays, some people care about cutting edge tech and better graphics. It's a valid issue.

Skyblade
01-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Yeah, sorry for the rant, I just get a little tetchy about things sometimes. I wouldn't mind so much if there was a little variety to the post, but arguing the pros and cons of a system by just going back and forth about one tiny part of the system (there's like a page and a half talking about only the resolution and the resolution differences between the 360 and the PS3), ending with a bunch of people saying "yeah, they both support 1080p, but the PS3 does it better" just snapped my nerves. Sorry.

Mr Cactuar
01-07-2008, 06:21 AM
God. What was the point of that? I ended up reading needlessly long, boring, explanatory posts for longer than what my attention span can handle. I don't see your point. Backing up the PS3 and putting down the Wii doesn't = Fanboy. It's all opinion, and having a personal opinion can't possibly mean that he's a fanboy. I may have an inkling that he may be, but nothing set in stone as of yet, so I reserve my judgment until then.

Depending on how he does it, it can.

E.g I prefer the games on the PS3, and the price is no real trouble for me, but I don't like the Wii, the control scheme just seems too silly and it's games aren't for me.

Compared to the possible:

Smurf the Wii, it's a stupid POS with dumb kiddy games and stupid stick controller. PS3 has best graphics = it wins.

^^ those people, inserting any console name in either position, annoy me to no end.

MistaCloudStrife
01-07-2008, 06:35 AM

E.g I prefer the games on the PS3, and the price is no real trouble for me, but I don't like the Wii, the control scheme just seems too silly and it's games aren't for me.

Smurf the Wii, it's a stupid POS with dumb kiddy games and stupid stick controller. PS3 has best graphics = it wins.

^^ those people, inserting any console name in either position, annoy me to no end.

Ah, touche. I should have worded it a bit differently, my bad.

Northcrest
01-07-2008, 02:41 PM

I've been trying to explain that to my friends for a month thx for putting it in better text.

Serapy
01-07-2008, 04:55 PM

Wow, I don't know why some people are taking my opinion seriously.

I didn't say fuck the 360, I didn't say 360 was a stupid console and I didn't say PS3 wins because of that reason, I like PS3 better because it's my taste and other reasons, it's simple as that. I did mention good things about 360, I said that it has amazing graphics, but I don't like 360 because it's not my taste. Doh.

It's my opinion, there's nothing wrong with saying PS3 wins! They are not exactly emphasis.

If you like 360 and I happen to say PS3 = Win, then you have to learn to control your temper, because it's pointless to agrue with my taste.

There's a real reason why 360 and PS3 exist. Two of those companies made two consoles for competition, money. So I can say which console I like the best.

Skyblade]Oh, give me a break. Am I the only one sick of hearing about the 1080i/p thing? Not content simply to argue about which console supports which, you're now arguing in about the quality of the same level of resolution

There's my implication behind the statement, what I said is that 360 doesn't support 1080p, means that it can view but doesn't recieve the best results.

Roto13, huh, what are you trying to doubt? Yes I have made that thread ages ago, but after that, I have researched a lot. Bought 360, gave it back. almost bought wii but bought ps3 instead.

MistaCloudStrife
01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow, I don't know why some people are taking my opinion seriously.

I didn't say smurf the 360, I didn't say 360 was a stupid console and I didn't say PS3 wins because of that reason, I like PS3 better because it's my taste and other reasons, it's simple as that. I did mention good things about 360, I said that it has amazing graphics, but I don't like 360 because it's not my taste. Doh.

It's my opinion, there's nothing wrong with saying PS3 wins! They are not exactly emphasis.

If you like 360 and I happen to say PS3 = Win, then you have to learn to control your temper, because it's pointless to agrue with my taste.

There's a real reason why 360 and PS3 exist. Two of those companies made two consoles for competition, money. So I can say which console I like the best.

He never said or even implied any names. Just corrected my mistake... and before that we were talking about this Vivi person, not you.

He meant that anyone who would bash on the Wii and praise the PS3 in a manner that is very immature and furthermore without any justifiable reasons backing their opinion(Either stated openly or in ones mind, doens't matter) would be considered a fanboy. And I would have to agree with that.

KentaRawr!
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
What's sad sad isn't how someone goes about changing a topic to something that should be un-related, but the fact that it can at all, as it shows that in our minds, the Wii, the Ps3, and the 360 are all linked in our minds. For example, mentioning a con of the 360 when someone else mentions a con of the PS3, in a thread that is solely about the discussion of the PS3. The only link was in our minds, not in what was presented to us. :monster:

Serapy
01-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh, ok, sorry then :p

Trix already hit on it, but I just wanted to reiterate that it doesn't make a lot of sense. Since 1080p is simply a resolution, those comparisons are almost worthless unless you were playing the same two games. So many factors that have nothing to do with the actual capabilities of either system can effect display. Like the game's actual technology. I mean, you could be playing Katamari Damacy on the 360 and Uncharted on the PS3. Of course the latter is going to look better in comparison. Component/VGA/HDMI input. What resolution the games support. From my experience with the Playstation 3, there are absolutely no "display features" that make it display "better" at 1920x1080. The nitty gritty technical details of processor, memory, and all that is another matter, but that is separate from the resolution.

Sorry, I should have added more detail in my first post in this thread.

1080p is a resoultion of 1,920 vertical pixels by 1,080 horizontal pixels with progressive scanning.
1080i is a resoultion of 1,920 vertical pixels by 1,080 horizontal pixels with interlaced scanning.
Obviously 1080p is better than 1080i because of progressive scanning that will display every pixel of the highest-resolution HD broadcasts. Interlaced scanning only conveys the images. If you want to find out about more details, just google it.

PS3 was designed to play 1080p, whereas Xbox 360 didn't design to play 1080p, 360 actually was designed to play 1080i.
When 360 wasn't designed to play 1080p, they just added a patch when PS3 came out. The patch was to make it upscale to 1080p, that's it. Concluding that 360 will display 1080p nevertheless.

However, PS3 is kind of unsurpassed (not literally) in 1080p mode right now because there's no game that can run natively at 1080p, only 720p or less. Although, there will be PS3 games in the future that will run natively at 1080p. Concluding that those games will look better than 360 because like what I said, PS3 was designed to play only 1080p.

What's amazing is that PS3 CO4 isn't even 720p, only 660p and the game looks still awesome.

Raebus
01-07-2008, 07:31 PM
All that meant nothing to me, seriously. I don't obsess over that stuff and instead play the games.

Roto13
01-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I was forced to obsess over it when I worked for Xbox. o_o The difference is minimal. It's not noticeable and barely worth mentioning. :P

Kanshisha
01-07-2008, 10:56 PM
lol roto13..

Well, the graphics on the PS3 have startled me and surprised me. Playing assassin's creed, the detail of the towns and such, the PS3 is worth the buy.

Raebus
01-07-2008, 11:21 PM
So squall, is your opinion based on graphics or other things besides that? I'm curious.

Kanshisha
01-07-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm focusing on graphics at the last post, not the game. I'm just saying that the PS3 can handle that much detail in such a game. the doors, the gates, the walls, everything and everyone included n the game.

Although, just one minor set back on the PS3 that seems to happen to me when i stay on it for a while, is that yes, it's quiet, but when it gets heated up, that's when you hear it.

Mr Cactuar
01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't see why people worry about the graphics so much. Consoles won't be as good graphics wise as PC's anyway, not until they actually become... PC's.

MistaCloudStrife
01-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Oh, ok, sorry then :p

Sorry, I should have added more detail in my first post in this thread.

1080p is a resoultion of 1,920 vertical pixels by 1,080 horizontal pixels with progressive scanning.
1080i is a resoultion of 1,920 vertical pixels by 1,080 horizontal pixels with interlaced scanning.
Obviously 1080p is better than 1080i because of progressive scanning that will display every pixel of the highest-resolution HD broadcasts. Interlaced scanning only conveys the images. If you want to find out about more details, just google it.

PS3 was designed to play 1080p, whereas Xbox 360 didn't design to play 1080p, 360 actually was designed to play 1080i.
When 360 wasn't designed to play 1080p, they just added a patch when PS3 came out. The patch was to make it upscale to 1080p, that's it. Concluding that 360 will display 1080p nevertheless.

However, PS3 is kind of unsurpassed (not literally) in 1080p mode right now because there's no game that can run natively at 1080p, only 720p or less. Although, there will be PS3 games in the future that will run natively at 1080p. Concluding that those games will look better than 360 because like what I said, PS3 was designed to play only 1080p.

What's amazing is that PS3 CO4 isn't even 720p, only 660p and the game looks still awesome.

Seriously, all you have to do is post a picture that compares the two to get your point across, and comment on it. Here, I'll do it for you.

http://www.destructoid.com/forum/files/comparison_172.jpg

zOMG look AT tahT PiXeL oN Da L1t3POHST WiT dE TrE3SiSt33!!

j/k j/k... You make a very good point with the whole "No game can even come close to the graphic powah of the PS3" thing... I just think that you could easily shorten your explanations. In fact, just stating the whole "No game can even come close to the graphic powah of the PS3" thing could have sufficed.

Sorry, just a it irritated because seriously... unless you pause the game and stare very deeply at the pixels of your HDTV you won't notice too much of a difference. Especially since the game developers are going to alter how the game looks to best fit a certain console. Example given above in the image.

And the main difference between interlaced and progressive is how the pixels are shown. Basically, with interlaced if you were to look very closely, you would notice certain lines, whereas progressive can blend all that in. But there are some pretty bad things about 1080i, such as sometimes you'll notice a sort of flickering that doesn't happen with progressive. Ever have a fatty computer monitor and looked at it with a video camera? Kind of like that, just not as bad. But all in all, they'll most likely look just about the same so as long as you're standing/sitting at a good distance away from you TV.(Good distance = not so close that you burn eyes out by concentrating on a line of pixels on your TV)

Serapy
01-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Nice info, but yes, I'm sorry. I should have shorten it :p but I couldn't help it. All what I can say is that 360 is better at the moment, but PS3 will suppress 360 in the future.

I don't see why people worry about the graphics so much. Consoles won't be as good graphics wise as PC's anyway, not until they actually become... PC's.

Because if the graphics were amazing, then you will become amazed by playing the games with awesome graphics on a HDTV. They look a lot better than playing PC games.

If you really don't care about graphics, then I think you should go for Wii. Wii has a lot of fun games. If I had more money, I'd buy Wii for the awesome SSBB game.

KentaRawr!
01-08-2008, 03:52 AM
Whether or not the Wii's games are good, though, really is a matter of opinion, don't you agree? One should look into what games they plan on buying before buying a system, after all. :3

MistaCloudStrife
01-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Whether or not the Wii's games are good, though, really is a matter of opinion, don't you agree? One should look into what games they plan on buying before buying a system, after all. :3

On that note...

Pro: Final Fantasy vsXIII is confirmed as a PS3 exclusive by Nomura. There's a different director for XIII so he couldn't comment on that, but it's more than likely going to be a PS3 exclusive as well.

And that was what I was waiting for. I was thinking that if FF goes multi-platform I was just going to get a 360, but now I'll probably get a PS3 first. And later, perhaps a 360 since all my friends have been pestering me to get one.

XxSephirothxX
01-08-2008, 05:48 AM

If you have a source for that, I'll believe it, but I've read or found nothing to indicate that the 360 merely upscales. The fall update made it able to output at 1080p. Just because it originally could only output at 1080i doesn't mean that the hardware can't support native 1080p. So the two consoles are dead even in that regard.

Also, there are plenty of native 1080p PS3 games out right now, which is a plus if you're looking to play some games merely because they look awesome. :D