PDA

View Full Version : Your own dictionary

Zeldy
01-03-2008, 08:29 PM
It's wierd, because I'm such a spelling freak yet I make so many myself out of habit. I made one already with 'wierd'. For years I thought another was spelt as anouther (probably because I'm British and we slot U's in everywhere) and there have been other words like 'apparently' which I always spell as apparantly and 'gullible' which I spelt as gullable. It's only since I got the English Dictionary add-on on my mozilla that I have started noticing all these things.

Does no one else seem to do this? or is it just me with my own Amy dictionary?

One last thing; DOES NO ONE ELSE CALL THEIR MICROWAVE THE 'MIKE'? seriously, does no one else do that? I was having a heated discussion about this with my friends in WHSmith, much to the amusement of the staff who were laughing, I then turned to them and they, like my friends, said they didn't call it that either. In my house, we always say "Oh, put it in the mike for __ minutes" and "oh just mike it" etc.

Dolentrean
01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Psht, I suck at spelling, I would probobly think something was spelt the wrong way, go to spell it, spell it wrong and it would turn out to be right... I'm not even sure what I just said...

Quindiana Jones
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I speak Arthur. When I went to America and Canada, I had to stress upon everyone that they shouldn't impersonate me and call it "English". I take whatever colloquialisms I like from wherever I like, I steal different accents from wherever I like and slot them randomly into conversations whenever and wherever I like and, most importantly, I make up words whenever I like.

And I don't mean that as in "IBPDPBIJHA! It means you're a prick!". I mean words that look and sound like words, and actually have a meaning.

41-Inches-Wide
01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I have no problems in spelling, maybe because I learned them from English textbooks.
But I totally have no control over what I say. The things I say may have a sprinkle of Korean words, so when I greet people it's like all of a sudden I'm all "Annyong Annyong!~". Or when something irritates me, I go "Aiguuuuuuuu!", and when I'm angry and want to get a point across, an "Arachi!!" slides off my mouth. I'm not exactly sure if I'm getting it right. :kaoclove:

I'm wondering if I'm just watching a bit too much non-subbed Korean movies.

rubah
01-03-2008, 10:25 PM
microwaves are nukes in my household. 'Let's nuke it for about half a minute'

Rye
01-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't have any weird ways of spelling things (but I always spell calender wrong), but as for having my own personal dictionary, Huxley and I make up so many of our own words, phrases, acronyms, etc, such as Heeabroo (People like me, who wish they were born into a Jewish family), EOS (Eyebrow of Skepticism), etc. :love:

~*~Celes~*~
01-03-2008, 10:36 PM
I am a very HUGE grammar and spelling cop. It's both a blessing and a curse because I find myself looking for spelling/grammar mistakes in everything, and I'm always correcting people. It's a blessing though, because my friends know who to come to for revisions on papers :bigsmile:

Sergeant Hartman
I think I actually do call it the mike sometimes :hat:

Goldenboko
I often call the remote the flicker, because you flick it xD

Zeldy
01-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I think I actually do call it the mike sometimes :hat:
:heart:!

everyone has a different name for the remote control xD I just call it the "remote" but one of my friends calls it the "motey boat".

BardTard
01-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I call mouths blowholes, direspectfully.

Example: "Shut your blowhole, woman!"

~*~Celes~*~
01-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I call it the microwave, just like anyone else, but instead of saying "put it in the microwave for x amount of time," I say "nuke it for x amount of time." :bigsmile:

Madame Adequate
01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
I spent many years thinking that 'galvanize' was 'glavanize'. :(

rubah
01-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Mr. MILF made me think of this--those who read a lot but speak relatively little know more words but maybe don't use them because they can't pronounce them or aren't sure if they can and want to spare themselves any humiliation. Those who don't read but talk a lot can pronounce a lot of words, but don't have a clue what they mean, so they usually end up using them anyways and make themselves look like fools by the small number of people that recognize both verbal forms and meanings of words.

Momiji
01-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Mr. MILF made me think of this--those who read a lot but speak relatively little know more words but maybe don't use them because they can't pronounce them or aren't sure if they can and want to spare themselves any humiliation. Those who don't read but talk a lot can pronounce a lot of words, but don't have a clue what they mean, so they usually end up using them anyways and make themselves look like fools by the small number of people that recognize both verbal forms and meanings of words.

I'm the kind of person who reads a lot but doesn't talk much in public. When I learn a new word I practice how it's pronounced. ^_^

Kanshisha
01-04-2008, 12:42 AM
i have a pinoy family so...
microwave= microwabe
remote =remote lol, no diff

"Put it in the microwabe por tita ray Aj" yep, that's it!

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2008, 05:47 PM
everyone has a different name for the remote control xD I just call it the "remote" but one of my friends calls it the "motey boat".

I call the remote the "doofer". My mate's family call it the "poogler", because you "poogle the telly". :D

Shoeberto
01-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I have a lot of my own vocabulary and ways of saying things. I can't really write it all out.

Yamaneko
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I usually have a dictionary.com tab open in Firefox.

Mystre
01-10-2008, 08:26 PM

I call the remote the "doofer". My mate's family call it the "poogler", because you "poogle the telly". :D

Ohh god...I know how that goes. I hated when any friends came over because I was horribly ashamed of my mom and her filipino habits.
Mr. MILF made me think of this--those who read a lot but speak relatively little know more words but maybe don't use them because they can't pronounce them or aren't sure if they can and want to spare themselves any humiliation. Those who don't read but talk a lot can pronounce a lot of words, but don't have a clue what they mean, so they usually end up using them anyways and make themselves look like fools by the small number of people that recognize both verbal forms and meanings of words.I'm the second one.

blackmage_nuke
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Calling it a mike would cause confusion if you were in a sounds studio or something. You could get food all over the recording equipment

Shlup
01-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Zeldy is an odd bird.