PDA

View Full Version : Just got a ps3 and elder scrolls IV is the first game I decided to buy

darkchrono
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
And I am very happy with the choice I made at this point.

You can almost have as much fun just running around looking at scenery as you can doing any of the quests. And the best part is that you don't feel like you are wasting your money if you don't play because it isn't an online game that you have to pay for. I think they should start making more games like this. I think a library of good games like Elder Scrolls would put the Massive Multiplayer Online games out of business in a hurry.

Another good thing about it (at least from what I've seen so far) is that monster bashing isn't quite as prevalent. So you are more free to do what you want than you are in World of Warcraft or Everquest type of games.

World of Warcraft and Everquest claimed that you could do whatever you wanted but you were still pretty limited for the first 15-20 hours that you played (possibly even more) because as soon as you left the base monsters would start attacking you on a consistent basis and the further you got away from your base the more powerful the monsters got so you had to be a decently powerful person just to be able to go out into the country and explore.

Madame Adequate
01-04-2008, 05:35 PM
If you think Oblivion is good, check out Morrowind.

Rainecloud
01-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Not too keen on Morrowind. Although the island itself is huge, there's a constant veil of fog surrounding you, and there's no "fast travel" option, which means you have to walk for 15-30 minutes if you need to travel from one side of the map to the other.

Good luck with Oblivion. It's an amazing game, no doubt.

Madame Adequate
01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Eh, the graphics you can't do much about. The fast travel is a bad thing in some people's eyes, mine included - I often forego the use of Silt Striders and teleport spells in Morrowind. Walking about is fun for me.

Shoeberto
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Not too keen on Morrowind. Although the island itself is huge, there's a constant veil of fog surrounding you, and there's no "fast travel" option, which means you have to walk for 15-30 minutes if you need to travel from one side of the map to the other.
What about the giant bug transit?

Zora
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
It is better if you don't fast-travel. Trust me. It makes the game more fun IMO. Plus you can train along the way.

Anyways Oblivion is a great game. GREAT GAME.

Oh ya, Oblivion-esque RPGs have been around for a long time. They are just never really marketed to the point they can sell as well as most MMORPGs.

Oh ya, out the guilds you can join, I think the Dark Brotherhood has the best storyline, but some of the thieves guild quests are more fun.

starseeker
01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah, Oblivion was the first game I got for my PS3 too. Great fun.

darkchrono
01-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I think if MMORPG's toned down the monster bashing a little bit they could really make a whole lot more money with the games than they already do. Or at least have some servers that will be like Oblivian and some servers that will have the traditional MMORPG style of play (where you have to fight and build your character up to get anywhere).

The only thing that a traditional MMORPG can bring you that a game like Oblivian can't is the ability to team up with other gamers (and to have playervsplayer). But I'm not sure if the majority of the people who play those games do that or if they just go the solo route.

Evil Dr. Giggles
01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Amazing game, indeed. I would advise walking or riding a horse, simply because you can level (which isn't always smart, but still) and you can find tons of side quests and dungeons along your travels.

Zora
01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Amazing game, indeed. I would advise walking or riding a horse, simply because you can level (which isn't always smart, but still) and you can find tons of side quests and dungeons along your travels.

You can always find a dungeon on your travels. It is impossible NOT TO unless you are trying to avoid any dungeons (which is possible to a certain extent)

Rase
01-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I think a library of good games like Elder Scrolls would put the Massive Multiplayer Online games out of business in a hurry.
Eh, I doubt it. A lot of people who play those games love the interaction with other players and being able to team up and develop these complex strategies to conquer quests. The Elder Scrolls games are like MMO's for those of us who don't really want that put still want everything else that makes those games fun.

I love Oblivion, but damn if I can't seem to ever stick with a character. I would constantly make new profiles with different setups throughout the time I had to play it.

As for Fast Traveling, I mainly use that for returning to towns to sell loot and to get back to a dungeon as quickly as possible. If I'm just heading to a town I walk and take a detour to find everything that appears on my compass.

Goldenboko
01-04-2008, 10:42 PM

Good luck with Oblivion. It's an amazing game, no doubt.

Lies! If you played the game often you could find tricks to get over that. Me and my friend discovered if you drank 100 leviatate potions (easy to get them, using a nice potion price glitch) then you zoom at ridicolous speeds, we crossed the map in two minutes.
Oh and we also made ridiculous spell combos that plused his acrobatics so high we could jump over mountains and land just fine :D

Aerith's Knight
01-04-2008, 11:28 PM
if you are going to walk, dont use a horse.. because every time you encounter a beast, you have to get off.. which takes longer then killing them.

and buy the expansions.. they are so much fun ^___^

ow and when playing the magic guild sidequests.. after initiation check in after every mission, or you will miss your title as master mage.. played it three times before finding that out ;_;

i of course have it for the 360.. but ps3 sounds like fun too..

ow and dont bother messing around with arrows.. unless you are really fast, or have walking on water shoes(lol), it is time consuming and non efficient.. ow and always have lots of potions.. dont sell them or throw them away.. at least not the health and magic ones

i have lots more .. but ill spare you that

Rase
01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
ow and dont bother messing around with arrows.. unless you are really fast, or have walking on water shoes(lol), it is time consuming and non efficient..
Bows and arrows are pretty much limited (effectively) to stealth characters in my opinion. High Marksman and Sneak levels are awesome, and you can end up with like 6X Sneak Damage before leaving the sewers if you choose right. I always liked using bows and magic, found them to be more fun than just running in with a melee weapon and frantically clicking away. Combining Marksman, Sneak, Illusion, Alteration, Acrobatics, Conjuration, and Light Armor with a Male Bosmer born under The Thief was probably my favorite build.

darkchrono
01-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Well I am already a murderer.

I was trying to practice that disposition system they have. And well I guess I need to practice it alot more. After I did it a couple times the lady started chasing after me and wouldn't stop. So eventually I just decided to fight back since she kept on trying to punch me. Well I had my sword equipped and took a few swipes at her and she started running off and keeled over dead just a little ways off from me.

It happened at night though (and she was just one of those people who wonders around the city) so I guess nobody saw me. I ran right by the guards and talked to them and none of them said a thing about it so I guess I lucked out.

Germ Hamee
01-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Well I am already a murderer.

I was trying to practice that disposition system they have. And well I guess I need to practice it alot more. After I did it a couple times the lady started chasing after me and wouldn't stop. So eventually I just decided to fight back since she kept on trying to punch me. Well I had my sword equipped and took a few swipes at her and she started running off and keeled over dead just a little ways off from me.

It happened at night though (and she was just one of those people who wonders around the city) so I guess nobody saw me. I ran right by the guards and talked to them and none of them said a thing about it so I guess I lucked out.

Wow, you totally just convinced me to buy this game.