PDA

View Full Version : HI DANIEL'S MUM!

Calliope
01-04-2008, 08:51 PM
How do you address your friend's parents when you're staying over or whatever?

I've finally broken out of the sir/ma'am business :D

Jojee
01-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Mrs.Towns!

Lynx
01-04-2008, 08:53 PM
im good with words i avoid saying names to avoid akward situations. a few friends parents i do just call by there names though because ive known them forever others i jsut avoid though.

Zeldy
01-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I ask the friend to ask their parent.

:3

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Whatever I like. :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Depends if I know the parents or not. Sometimes it is "So-and-so's mom/dad" or "Mr./Mrs. X". When I know them well enough, it is by their first name.

Rainecloud
01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't think I address them by their first name, I just act polite.

After all, my manners are very good. :up:

rubah
Hey mr. Veazey.

a friend of my friend whose dad that is called her dad 'dad' and he got really mad xD it was a boy who did it, so that makes a little more sense xD

A common form of informal-yet-polite address down here is 'Mr/Miss/Mrs [first name]'. Little kids at church call me Miss Allison for example.

Yamaneko
I address most people in a professional setting who are older than me with Mr. or Ms. I'm comfortable calling people by their first name outside a professional setting regardless of age.

Sergeant Hartman
01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I dunno, I think I just avoid it somehow.

Shoeberto
01-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I dunno, I think I just avoid it somehow.
Same here, until someone else establishes a standard. I feel pretty weird about it otherwise.

Iceglow
01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I avoid using names when possible. I do however call some of my friends mom's by first names, it's hard not to when I work with some of them and others I've known for so long it's really hard not to.

Heath
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
If it specifically calls for a time where I have to refer to them by name, I'll use 'Mr' or 'Mrs' Surname. Sometimes they'll say to call them by their name as is the way with my friend Mark's mum though my family have known her for about ten years now, in which case I'll call them their name. If I'm unsure, I'll just avoid it.

cloud21zidane16
01-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I call my good friends parents by their names, others i just kind of get out of having to call them anything:)

Big D
01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Mr or Mrs Surname, usually - but once I've got to know the parent on a close basis, I'll go to first names if it seems right.

Dolentrean
01-05-2008, 01:10 AM
I normally start with Mr/Mrs. But considering I am on good terms with my friends parents and I talk with them quite a bit its normally by first names, it would be bizzare and akward if I called them by there last name.

Shlup
01-05-2008, 01:48 AM
My friends? I say "MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Except for Ashley's dad. He is Santa.

scrumpleberry
01-05-2008, 02:04 AM
"Excuse me..."

Madame Adequate
01-05-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm 22, I get to call adults by their first names now.

Rye
01-05-2008, 03:38 AM
I refer to my friends parents as _______'s Mom/Dad to their face, but I will call them by their first name if they say I can.

I just call Huxley's mom "MOMMY!!!!!!!!!1111" in a Shlup like fashion though. xD

~*~Celes~*~
01-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Mr. or Mrs. Surname, sir or ma'am, unless they insist I call them by their first name. It's how I was raised :)

Kossage
01-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I just call them by their first names. :)

Vermachtnis
01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
"Ummmm"
"Yea"
"Okay"

I'm a man of few words.

escobert
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
depends on how well I know them. :p

Larahl
01-05-2008, 06:20 PM
My friends' parents don't like to be addressed as, sir or ma'am, because it makes them feel old. So they always ask me to call them by their first name.

Aerith's Knight
01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
During a time when i was 15 i think, me and my best friend stayed over at each others house all the time. 3 days with him, then 3 days with us.. for an entire holiday..

because of all that i accidentily called his mother "mom".. i dont think anyone noticed though =)

rubah
01-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I used to call some of my teachers mom accidentally back in the day.

years later we called the band director dad, but that was not an accident

Araciel
01-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I usually don't address people by any name/title anyway, as when I'm talking to someone, they know it and I'm looking right at them (most of the time) so I can't really answer this question because I don't know.

Agrias
01-05-2008, 11:24 PM
i usually call them by their first name, or if i know them well enough, i call them mom or dad

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-05-2008, 11:27 PM
During a time when i was 15 i think, me and my best friend stayed over at each others house all the time. 3 days with him, then 3 days with us.. for an entire holiday..

because of all that i accidentily called his mother "mom".. i dont think anyone noticed though =)

That reminds me of my sister's friend who used to spend a lot of time at our place. She'd call my parents "mom" and "dad".

Breine
01-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I just call them by their first names. :)

Me too. We don't really use the whole Sir/Ma'am thing in Denmark.. I guess we're kinda rude in that way :bigsmile:

Anyway, if I know the parents I usually have a small/more lenghty chat with them depending on how much I know them and stuff. Most parents are really nice, and in my experience if you're just commonly polite and/or helpful they'll end up really liking you :D

Kuroshima
01-06-2008, 03:10 AM
I call them by their first names.=/

Miriel
01-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Friend's parents = always always always Mr/Mrs. Somethingsomething.

I cannot bring myself to address them by their first name. It's just so foreign to me. I can't make myself address my boyfriend's parents by their first names even though they said I could. Just can't do it! Oh my god, and just imagining the reaction of my mom or dad's face should my boyfriend or any of my friends address them by their first name is bizarre. I think they would just stare and stare and then be like, "excuse me?"

In Korean, not only do you never address an older person or parent by their first name, there's a special way of speaking that you have to use when you're speaking to older people. Even if the person is a year older than you, you have to use the special form of speech with them until you become really familiar with that person. And even then, with elders you always should use the "formal" speech as a sign of respect. And then there are all sorts of titles that you use when addressing different people. Everyone has titles. There are titles for older sister, younger sister, older Aunt on Dad's side, older Aunt on Mom's side, etc. You only use first names with people within a few years age difference with you, or people younger than you.

rubah
01-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I didn't know what to call my maternal grandparents to their faces, so until I was like 12 or so, I called them 'you' or phrased it where I didn't have to say a subject noun. Then I nervously used the word 'grandma' and 'grandpa' for the first time.

My paternal grandparents were always grandpa floyd and granny sue though. I don't know why I had trouble with grandma mary and grandpa bill.

Northcrest
01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I use Mr., Mrs., Ms. etc

Rye
01-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Friend's parents = always always always Mr/Mrs. Somethingsomething.

I cannot bring myself to address them by their first name. It's just so foreign to me. I can't make myself address my boyfriend's parents by their first names even though they said I could. Just can't do it! Oh my god, and just imagining the reaction of my mom or dad's face should my boyfriend or any of my friends address them by their first name is bizarre. I think they would just stare and stare and then be like, "excuse me?"

In Korean, not only do you never address an older person or parent by their first name, there's a special way of speaking that you have to use when you're speaking to older people. Even if the person is a year older than you, you have to use the special form of speech with them until you become really familiar with that person. And even then, with elders you always should use the "formal" speech as a sign of respect. And then there are all sorts of titles that you use when addressing different people. Everyone has titles. There are titles for older sister, younger sister, older Aunt on Dad's side, older Aunt on Mom's side, etc. You only use first names with people within a few years age difference with you, or people younger than you.

I like systems of honorifics like that. I kind of wish we had them here. It's classy!

theundeadhero
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
When I talk to my best friend's Mom I say, "Hi Sweetpea's Mom".