PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney Todd

Rase
01-07-2008, 04:40 PM
There isn't a thread about this movie already? Are you serious?

Anyway, I loved it. Great music, great sound, and a fairly interesting story that I didn't guess until the end. Really though, I was surprised at how much I ended up loving the songs in this movie, especially "No Place Like London", "Worst Pies in London", "My Friends", "Pretty Women", "A Little Priest", and "By The Sea". Depp and Carter both did excellent jobs singing I thought, and as usual Sacha Baren Cohen was in fine form as Pirelli. The violence, though definitely exaggerated and plentiful once the story gets started, never seemed real to me, which made it easier to sit through. Definitely a movie I plan on buying, and possibly my favorite musical.

Thoughts?

Dreddz
01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Comes out on the 25th in the UK. And I am so seeing it.

Seraphic
01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I really liked it and was surprised since I had been told by one of my friends that the music was kinda boring and I ended up liking alot of it, more so then some of my favorite musicals.
Helena Bonham Carter really made the movie for me.
I was kinda disappointed on how nobody was really catching on to the movie and stuff, like in the "A Little Priest" number, everyone was asking why they were looking out the window and stuff and its like...really obvious if you just listen to the music. (its there for a reason people, tells the story.)
I also really liked Ed Sanders, "Not While I'm Around" was the first song I heard while sitting in on the movie before work and its my favorite song.
Really great movie :3

I Took the Red Pill
01-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Only complaint I had about it was the slow progression. If you were to sum up the whole plot to a friend, you could do it in well under a minute. I guess the music is partly to blame for it, but the music was great so it's a fair trade-off. Other than that, great.

Boney King
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I may have to see it again to appreciate the music more, but I thought all the songs basically just ran together. I was more focused on the lyrics and how they tied into the story, so that probably has something to do with it.

I absolutely loved the use of colours in this film, especially the contrast between the beach scene and the rest of the movie, very striking. The characters were great too, and everyone played them perfectly. I will consider purchase of this when it's released.

Rengori
01-08-2008, 02:31 AM
I was wondering where this thread was. Too lazy to make it myself.

Anyway, that was the best musical I've seen since I saw Little Shop of Horrors. If I see that is playing in a theater near me, and by theater I mean like the kind that's not a movie theater, definitely gonna see that.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-08-2008, 03:28 AM
From the writing to the acting to the music to the <i>use</i> of music, everything about this film is horrible.

Marshall Banana
01-08-2008, 07:06 AM
I hate Johanna, I hate Johanna's song, and I wish that she had fallen out of her window instead.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-08-2008, 10:36 AM
It's cool, that kid is right outside it.

Oh wait no he's not.

~Hikaris~Uta~
01-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I am definatly going to see this movie, I'm a ultimate fan of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.

Burtsplurt
01-19-2008, 09:41 AM
If only Tim Burton would put as much effort into maintaining a narrative as he does into his visuals (which, incidentally, I hate with a passion) he might make a decent film at some point.

But I'm not hopeful as he might as well be the dictionary definition for 'one-trick pony'. And it's not even a good trick.