PDA

View Full Version : Sleep paralysis

Dreddz
01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
So today I finally found out what I have been experiencing for the last 2-3 years, and that is sleep paralysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis). If you dont know what sleep paralysis is then let me explain. Sleep paralysis is when you wake up from either a long or short sleep but are unable to move any of your muscles. That means you cannot open your eye lids, speak or move any part of your body. The scary thing is is that your fully conscious, so it can be a frightening ordeal, especially the first time. Some say that they have heard noises or even seen images of things while in this state, I however have not. Peoples experiences of sleep paralysis have differed, some have gone to say that they still dream while in this state so feel what is going on in the dream. I personally dont believe that (http://youtube.com/watch?v=jUs8W3pTgCA) but whatever.

I was reading on wikipedia that it is only supposed to happen once or twice in somebodies life. So why have I experienced it at least two dozen times in the last few years. It cant be coincidence, there is something about my lifestyle that makes me have these so frequent. Sometimes it happens in a couple of months, weeks or even only a few days.

So I was just wondering who else might of experienced one of these in their lifetime. Alot of people havent heard of it and some say it is all lies but it most certainly isnt.

edczxcvbnm
01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I have heard of it but I have not experienced or if I have it was over in less than a second.

Why don't you go see a doctor about this?

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I get it on occasion, it's not fun. As I recall, it's just you waking up in the middle of REM for some reason.

Bahamut2000X
01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I've had similar experiences over the past 5 or 6 years or so. It's gotten a little more frequent over the years.

Though I've never really looked into this much myself. It's never been much of an issue, just a minor annoyance until my body is fully awake, it usually only lasts a few seconds for me. No more then 30 seconds. Though I dunno how severe I've had it as people say they can't move period, but I can at least get my eyes open most of the time.

As for hearing/seeing things I've had it happen many times, I usually just hear things like voices or something to that effect. I've never really seen anything though, at least that I can recall, it's the voices that I've heard that generally freaked me out the first time it happened to me.

Though nice to know this is some form of condition and not just something random with my mind beating my body to waking up.

rubah
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
My uncle was telling me last night how he had experienced a lot of something like this. I don't think it's happened to me that I can remember.

Quindiana Jones
01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I thought the thread said "sheep paralysis". Disappointment followed.

Renmiri
01-07-2008, 09:39 PM
It happens regularly to me. I always thought it was a normal part of being asleep, deep in dreams. Guess I did get scared the first couple of times, but then got used to it. Didn't even know they had a name for it!

Cleansation
01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Also happends to me sometimes - Anyone tried lucid dreaming ? It's damm nice.

cloud21zidane16
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I dont really know much about this but it sounds interesting.

Old Manus
01-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Old Hag Syndrome for the win!

If I get this tonight, it's all your fault, EoFF.

KoShiatar
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I've had such an experience for at least 3-4 times. Scary, but luckily all you have to do is wait a little.