PDA

View Full Version : Help with RPG Maker 2003

f f freak
01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Okay, so I downloaded RPG Maker 2003 and it works fine and I'm slowly getting the hang of it, though I want to play a Test Run, yet it won't let me because I haven't set a starting location. Expect me to ask many a noobish question in this thread and this is the first. How do I set the starting location? I can't find anything to let me select it.

Bahamut2000X
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Go to the event layer (the one where you set NPC's and objects and the like) and anywhere where you want the hero to start, right click and select start party position. Just make sure they can move from there after you set them, it sucks on your first game when you accidentally select yoour party to start on top of water they can't walk on. :(

Markus. D
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Unless you decide you want to prioritize water as being walkable-onable :]

f f freak
01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Cheers, I've done that now. Now another noobish question, I'm just doing some test battles with some overpowered characters I've made for fun and I wanted to know how to set the skills, like fight, magic etc. because I made an overpowered mage and she only had access to half of the skills I'd given her. Note that I didn't set her with a class so she hasn't got Mage as her class.

ReloadPsi
01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Depending on whether you're using a class system or not...

I prefer Battle Layout (fixed class characters) but go nuts and try them both out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/diehure/oneofthesetwo.jpg

Markus. D
01-08-2008, 07:21 AM
It's all within the Database.

Maybe go with the default skills for now until you figure out how to animate x_x;

f f freak
01-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah I've fiddled around with it alot and done most of the characters etc. I'm not really having any trouble so far, though that'll probably change when it gets to the map. I've only put a little bit of Land on there and an Event Battle. It's pretty cool, though I was wondering how I get other characters(That I've made) to appear on screen, for when I want other characters to join the main character.

Bahamut2000X
01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
You just do them as an event and select the graphic featuring the other characters. There's nothing else to say take the graphic selected in the character portion of the Database and put them on screen. Those graphics are purely for if they are the lead of the party or for the menu. To actually have say the fighter member A interact on the main screen with the main character, just have an event using the sprite of fighter member A and manipulate the event as you need to.