PDA

View Full Version : Manual Labor

rubah
01-07-2008, 11:29 PM
My dad and I cut down a dying tree in our front yard this afternoon. There was so many little twigs and vines off of it! My hands are a little raw from yanking on so many strands of vines and I'm just about tired to where I don't want to move xD (typing is actually a bit of a chore atm too).

I did get to use a chainsaw for the first time this afternoon and cut a small section of limb for our stove.

So what heavy tiresome manual labor have you done lately or that you do routinely?

Yamaneko
01-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Cut up and disposed of last night's victims. Broke a cold sweat.

Rye
01-08-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't think I do manual labor. I think the closest I've even done to it in years is move and organize heavy suitcases at work that are practically my height... xD

Larahl
Working at the bakery store is really, really tiring.
Lifting all that plates is heavy tiresome manual labor. Seriosuly. ;;

Madame Adequate
I don't do any, because I am not a savage.

Aerith's Knight
01-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Lugging around Experiment equipment, helping people move.. you know.. the usual

rubah
01-08-2008, 01:26 AM
I don't do any, because I am not a savage.

No, you probably have people you'd pay to do that stuff.

Roto13
01-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I had to shovel way too much snow in the driveway. I hate that.

Madame Adequate
01-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I do not employ savages, either. We have machines for a reason, my dearubah.

Aerith's Knight
01-08-2008, 01:46 AM

I have to make the machines.. well make them up and try it out.. so using machines to make machines seems a little much

Seraphic
01-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Christmas Day at work.
Running around at the movie theater cleaning up stuff and helping move around stock is tiresome, but I perservere. >D

Aerith's Knight
01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
I don't think I do manual labor. I think the closest I've even done to it in years is move and organize heavy suitcases at work that are practically my height... xD

this of course.. isnt saying much..

Ramza Beoulve
01-08-2008, 02:29 AM

this of course.. isnt saying much..*hears a gun being charged*

Well, lately I have been moving my room completely, including cleaning it. Sadly, I have to do it myself :(.

Aerith's Knight
01-08-2008, 02:44 AM
I couldnt resist.. plz dont kill me xD

rubah
01-08-2008, 03:07 AM

And the machine we used was a chainsaw, which still requires manual labor 8)

There's a cost/labor formula somewhere, and I don't think the cost of building and renting specialized tree cutting machinery to cut down one tree so that it doesn't fall down and damage the house is worth the few ounces of gas and two hours of two-man labor!

Don't be such a pansypanties. Machines aren't the end all to be all.

Madame Adequate
01-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Yes they are. :count:

Now, my pant-removing machine... where have I put it?

Rye
01-08-2008, 04:05 AM

I told you not to call me that anymore. :kaoangry:

Roto13
01-08-2008, 04:06 AM

xD!!!

Madame Adequate
01-08-2008, 04:09 AM

What are you going to do about it? Stop removing my pants? Hah! That'll be the day!

rubah
01-08-2008, 04:47 AM
There's a joke in 2001: A Space Odyssey about making people with unskilled manual labor, I think.

Ramza Beoulve
01-08-2008, 07:06 AM

this of course.. isnt saying much..
*Pushed forward because wants to see someone being killed xD*

On topic, I have finished moving two damned TV's of 25'' (heavy as hell, I hate them ¬¬) from the basement to the first floor. Now my back hurts, and I'm sure I'll have to move one of them to the basement later ¬¬.

Luther X-Rated
01-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I used to shovel cold mix (black top) in pot holes for the city, in street division.

So my name is the definition of hard labor

I used the city to get my CDL (Commercial Driver's License)

So now I have it easy just driving commercial vehicles :)

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Poor tree ; ;

ShunNakamura
01-08-2008, 03:07 PM
I actually got to play tree mover not to long back after one of ours got struck by lightning. Mother and Father mostly cut it down and when I got home Mom wanted me to help move some of the logs that father had 'stupidly'[my mothers words] left in big thick chunks.

After moving one of her I got tired of her weak female pace and lugged a good big old log up on over my shoulder and tossed it on the fire pit after lugging it a good 20 or so feet. Mom was screaming the whole way that I would break my back or something. I should have headed her warning. I forgot I have girl soft skin. The bark and the weight of the log scrapped a good chunk of the skin off my shoulder from my silly gait and off my hands when I tossed it. My back was fine though, so I guess she was wrong.

*Log for those interested was big enough that I couldn't easily wrap my arms all the way around its girth and was a tall enough to reach my knees[about a foot and a half]. I would guess about 40-50lbs at worse from the effort it took to lift.. I really don't know where she got the idea that such a light burden would break my back.

Jess
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't really do any manual labour. :jess:

Quindiana Jones
01-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I love manual labour. It makes me feel manly and strong. :D

MistaCloudStrife
01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Took down my old fence last week and dug a few holes the other day in the rain. Putting up a new fence. Easy jobs though. Harder to work at the airport. =P Had to throw bags all day. And yes, I did throw your bags very hard. Tip: Never leave any breakables in your bag when traveling. =)

Either I would throw your bags with the quickness, or you would be late for your flight because I'm taking extra care of your bags. It was a lose/lose situation for me either way so I didn't really care. =D

Oh, and carrying boxes of frozen fish(60-150lbs, planes filled with boxes) and other heavy seafoods, airplane tires(400+lbs, need more than one person to carry), cadavers(up to 300lbs), and huge ass dogs.

Pain in the ass if you have to go from one flight to another non-stop without any time to breath. Glad I'm gone.

Lynx
01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
besides my every day work, in the winter time i shovel snow have to bring wood from outside to the wood stove inside. in the summer i have to stack wood outside and inside to prepare for the winter. i also have to help cut down tree and chop them up. i usually hand chop the wood with an axe. hard work but i like chopping wood with an axe its relaxing somehow.

rubah
01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
After moving one of her I got tired of her weak female pace and lugged a good big old log up on over my shoulder and tossed it on the fire pit after lugging it a good 20 or so feet. .

:OOOOOOOOO you should've put a list up on craigslist or freecycle for free firewood already chopped :( People burn wood for heat still! well you might not get any replies if you live in florida, but ;o

Mirage
01-09-2008, 04:37 AM
I threw away hundreds of old christmas trees yesterday. Most of them were bigger than I was, but that didn't stop me from throwing them around.

escobert
01-09-2008, 04:53 AM
shoveling snow!