PDA

View Full Version : Hardest First Boss

Yar
01-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. We could go on and on for days about who was the hardest final boss. But, I don't care care about that. Who or what was your hardest boss to defeat, what game were they in, and why were they difficult to defeat?

Mine was and still seems to be Brock from Pokémon Red/Blue/Whateverversionthey'vedecidedtoreleasetorehashthesamegame. His rock types were hard to defeat when the only Pokémon you could catch to that point were bugs and normal types. With the exception of Bulbasaur or Squirtle, which seemed to need to be powerleveled until they learn some good attacks.

Hambone
01-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Not really. As I recall, Squirtle learned bubble which could easily take Brock down at level 8.

Hardest first boss...hrmm...probably the Scorpion creature of FFVII because so many first bosses are tutorials and you can't possibly lose.

Vermachtnis
01-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Mid-Boss
He, himself, wasn't all that hard. But he had a Mage and Archer set up on special tiles.

Raebus
01-08-2008, 01:52 AM
I don't see how the Scorpion creature from FF7 was hard to beat, he was easy to defeat. It practically told you what to do and what not to do "Don't attack when its tail is up" and so on. It's hard to see how he's hard to beat.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-08-2008, 02:01 AM
The only real contender that comes to mind is Blizzard Crawler from Gradius Gaiden. It definitely demands an abnormal amount of skill and cunning for a first boss.

Evastio
01-08-2008, 02:12 AM
EVO. They made the fish boss take off way to much damage for a first boss. Him also attacking repeatedly quickly doesn't help either.

Seraphic
01-08-2008, 02:21 AM
The first fish thing you fight in FF10 with only Tidus.
Having only Tidus, it was a huge ordeal imho.

Also, I believe Gargos in Killer Instinct Gold was ridiculously evil since he could gain his life back and the only way you could really beat him is to finish him off with a combo that tossed him into the air, which he always seem to combo break his way out of.
*shakes fist*

Zora
01-08-2008, 02:24 AM

The fish only takes away half of your health. You can't lose.

That, that THING in Tales of Symphonia (Marble thing). Okay so it isn't THE first boss, but close enough IMO (second boss)

Oh and Mother 3 that Modified Raindeer thing. Then again, I find nearly every boss in Mother 3 to be a challenge :p

KentaRawr!
01-08-2008, 02:43 AM
I can't really think of a super challenging first boss right now, but the hardest one I can think of is Metal Slug 5's first boss, if you don't want to use any lives, of course. If I had a better memory, I'm sure I could think of something that wasn't easy. :mad:

Markus. D
01-08-2008, 07:11 AM
The very first battle in Summoner: A Goddess Reborn.

belkor_teh_magnificent
01-08-2008, 05:09 PM
The first boss in Valkyrie Profile 2. It probably wasn't hard in and of its own, but I had a lot of difficulty, mostly due to the battle system. But I had to go and grind to level 6 to beat it *shame*

KoShiatar
01-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I can't really think of a super challenging first boss right now, but the hardest one I can think of is Metal Slug 5's first boss, if you don't want to use any lives, of course. If I had a better memory, I'm sure I could think of something that wasn't easy. :mad:

Metal Slug is all tough... I can't remember ever beating a stage without dying multiple times...

Ramza Beoulve
01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Mmm... Maybe the First Colossus, but just because then I didn't know how to attack him while I was over him... Aside of that, I can't really remember a hard first boss.

SeeDRankLou
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I found Odwala in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask surprisingly difficult for a first boss. Actually I found him to be the hardest boss in Majora's Mask.

Ashley Schovitz
01-08-2008, 11:43 PM

That wasn't even the first boss I think that's like the 3rd in the game. The one you fought with Auron was the first.
I say that bug thing from Legaia Dual Saga was definetly hard for a first. First bosses aren't supposed to inflict status ailmets when you're just learning to play the game!

Roto13
01-09-2008, 03:28 AM
When you fight the fish thing later it's pretty tough because he keeps petrifying you. Unless you have the right equipment, in which case it's as easy as everything else in the main game.

Blackjack
01-09-2008, 03:40 AM
This guy from Smash TV(cant remember his name)
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3125/smash03lt6.jpg
You try avoiding: getting run over, lasers, bombs, flaming head things that spin around in circles, guns, and robot things constantly shooting you........all AT ONCE.:mog:Its a nightmare.:eek:

Psychotic
01-09-2008, 03:46 AM
I don't see how the Scorpion creature from FF7 was hard to beat, he was easy to defeat. It practically told you what to do and what not to do "Don't attack when its tail is up" and so on. It's hard to see how he's hard to beat.Actually, the game says something like "Attack when its tail is up" and then there is a seven second pause. Helpfully, this is just enough time for you to attack it when its tail is up, just like the game just told you to. It then completes Barret's warning. "And it's gonna counter attack with its laser!" Oh really? I hadn't noticed.

Garth, Soccer Kid. Not that any of you have played it or ever will play it!

Woodinator
01-09-2008, 04:03 AM
the nunchuck guy from ninja gaiden sigma

so...hard *shudders*

took me about 15 tries to beat him...and i had to look online to find a strategy to do so...O.o after that it isnt so bad...yet

actually i find the game in general to be really hard...

Monol
01-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Secret of evermore is the only boss i can think of at the moment that i felt was unessicarly challenging for being the first stinking boss of the game...though im sure there are certainly others (Then again can ANY first boss be considered hard? ;) )

Markus. D
01-09-2008, 09:57 AM
The first boss in Valkyrie Profile 2. It probably wasn't hard in and of its own, but I had a lot of difficulty, mostly due to the battle system. But I had to go and grind to level 6 to beat it *shame*

You can avoid it till it's dead >_<!

Jowy
01-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Secret of evermore is the only boss i can think of at the moment that i felt was unessicarly challenging for being the first stinking boss of the game...though im sure there are certainly others (Then again can ANY first boss be considered hard? ;) )

Yeah, FUCK Thraxx. It's not like they tell you to grind your alchemy out the wazoo to actually have a fair chance. At least it's impossible to die during the end boss though. Barrier + Energizer for the freaking win.

Kanshisha
01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
hardest first boss?

The dude in ninja gaiden, oohhh! that was the worst..

Breine
01-09-2008, 09:16 PM
He's not really a first boss per se, but Jinpachi in Tekken 5 is so unbelievably annoying... sometimes you winning is pure luck.

KuRt
01-09-2008, 10:07 PM
He's not really a first boss per se, but Jinpachi in Tekken 5 is so unbelievably annoying... sometimes you winning is pure luck.

I sure love that battle. First he stuns you, teleports to the back of the arena and kills you with one fireball. Or if you manage to start the battle with a quick combo he just at some point makes you stop it and steals his health back.

Breine
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM

I sure love that battle. First he stuns you, teleports to the back of the arena and kills you with one fireball. Or if you manage to start the battle with a quick combo he just at some point makes you stop it and steals his health back.

Yup, that's pretty much how it goes.

Ashley Schovitz
01-10-2008, 01:39 AM
When you fight the fish thing later it's pretty tough because he keeps petrifying you. Unless you have the right equipment, in which case it's as easy as everything else in the main game.

Were you talking to me Roto? I don't really remember a fish boss, but I remember a gorilla being the second. Then there was Bubba but he was easier on my second try.

Skyblade
01-10-2008, 02:41 AM

Were you talking to me Roto? I don't really remember a fish boss, but I remember a gorilla being the second. Then there was Bubba but he was easier on my second try.

He was talking to you about FFX, and the second time you fight Georapella, the fishie boss that Tidus has to fight alone near the beginning of the game.

Moon Rabbits
01-10-2008, 11:09 PM
EVO. They made the fish boss take off way to much damage for a first boss. Him also attacking repeatedly quickly doesn't help either.

This is right.

Cookie
01-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Those guys whose names I can't recall from the start of Golden Sun. Tricky game is tricky.

Carl the Llama
01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
The Dragon from PSO the original PSO on DC, I had never played the game before but I made a HUnewearl and it took me ages to get to there and by the time I was there I had a Sabe+3 with 5% in Native and I stumbled mindlessly into the the Dragons den... big mistake, within 2 minutes I was back in the ship weapon and Mesetaless... not the brightest idea in history, I grinded my way to level 10 and went back, and Killed that s.o.b =D revenge is sweet

Skyblade
01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Those guys whose names I can't recall from the start of Golden Sun. Tricky game is tricky.

Saturos and Menardi, or, as you know them then, Mysterious Man and Mysterious Woman. Since it is, I believe, impossible to win without cheating (Saturos uses physical attacks fairly often which will miss if you're lucky, but Menardi casts magic, which is insta-kill, and always hits), I felt it would be a bit unfair to include.

Goldenboko
01-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Hardest first boss...hrmm...probably the Scorpion creature of FFVII because so many first bosses are tutorials and you can't possibly lose.
Y-Your joking right?

I'm gonna go with Dragon Quest VIII's boss (forgot his name), I died against him, which is more then I can say for most final bosses.

Kanshisha
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
This guy from Smash TV(cant remember his name)
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3125/smash03lt6.jpg
You try avoiding: getting run over, lasers, bombs, flaming head things that spin around in circles, guns, and robot things constantly shooting you........all AT ONCE.:mog:Its a nightmare.:eek:

Oh.. that.. that boss sucked. lucky you have lives in that game lol

the nunchuck guy from ninja gaiden sigma

so...hard *shudders*

took me about 15 tries to beat him...and i had to look online to find a strategy to do so...O.o after that it isnt so bad...yet

actually i find the game in general to be really hard...

yeah, that boss is the worst.. and the next one..and the next one AND the next one. it just keeps on going on...

At my first try of that, i found out charging in isn't always a good idea. ^^

ReloadPsi
01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Since the levels in Animaniacs for the SNES could be played out of order, I'm gonna have to say "one or two of theirs, but not necessarily all of them".

Either that or the dude at the end of New Junk City in Earthworm Jim.

Oh yeah, most YuGiOh games start out horribly hard because you usually start out with a mediocre deck and have to actually win duels to get more cards :p

Heath
01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Mine was and still seems to be Brock from PokémonRed/Blue/Whateverversionthey'vedecidedtoreleasetorehashthesamegame. His rock types were hard to defeat when the only Pokémon you could catch to that point were bugs and normal types. With the exception of Bulbasaur or Squirtle, which seemed to need to be powerleveled until they learn some good attacks.

I'd agree with that if you took Charmander, but otherwise Brock is pretty easy. Still, I usually get myself a Butterfree to learn Confusion and then you can actually do some damage to his Pokemon.

Hardest first boss? I really don't know, actually. I suppose I could be a pain in the neck and say the first boss of Shadow Hearts Albert Simon because you can't win that fight :p