PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts

Bahamut2000X
01-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Well I myself have been a fan of martial arts since the days of Power Rangers, when I was younger I got into Tae Kwon Do for being a martial arts, and after a while it made me lose interest due to the high amount of Dojo's that teach it for competition and sport usage only. Although I've found myself in a new love of martial arts when almost 6 months ago I discovered a real Ninjutsu dojo near my house, better yet they taught it as a self-defense and combat art, not something that you'd normally use in a tournament unlike all of my years of Tae Kwon Do.

So then, topic is Martial Arts. Discuss your experiences and whatnot.

Zeldy
01-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I like to pretend I do Martial arts, if that counts? I do all the 'HAH' and 'HOOH' :jess:

qwertysaur
01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm a second degree black belt at Tae Kwon Do. :D

Quindiana Jones
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I saw a guy stop a bullet with his fist once.

No, seriously.

belkor_teh_magnificent
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
If I was fitter, I would rather like to do Tae Kwon Do, it's the only martial art I have respect for. I used to do boxing, and found it to be much harder, and much more effective in combat, than karate and about half a dozen other types of martial art whom i've gotten into fights with. I sat in at a training session of Tae Kwon Do and firstly, got whuped when the teacher asked for a volunteer, and secondly, couldn't keep up with the training.

escobert
01-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I prefer shots over knock outs.

Luther X-Rated
01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I prefer shots over knock outs.

Big D
01-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I've done various historical Western Martial Arts, but they've all rusted a little due to limited practice.

MS i.33 sword and buckler

English single sword (George Silver)

English short staff (George Silver)

German Longsword (Talhoffer and Lichtenauer)

German rondel dagger (Talhoffer, Lichtenauer and related manuscripts)

There's a lot of detail in the old training manuscripts, it's a shame the Western Martial Arts virtually all faded away. Fortunately there are ever-increasing numbers of groups reconstructing them, so the knowledge isn't being lost entirely.

As for which I like most... MS i.33 is a very complex and comprehensive system, with a lot of different wards and counter-wards, but it's still a learnable and effective system. My favourite overall, however, is George Silver's English single sword. The basics are so straightforward, but you could go on developing technique and fluency without ever really exhausting the potential of the system.

rubah
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I had three tae-kwon-do lessons when I was in day care.

Sergeant Hartman
01-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Did judo when I was like 9, didn't carry on with it though.

Goldenboko
01-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I do Tae-Kwon Doe, I'm lucky enough to have an eighth degree black belt local, who teaches it well (we learn Self Defense and Sport). :D

qwertysaur
01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I do Tae-Kwon Doe, I'm lucky enough to have an eighth degree black belt local, who teaches it well (we learn Self Defense and Sport). :D

Eighth Degree!!! You're really lucky. My master is fifth degree. What level are you?

Goldenboko
01-08-2008, 09:51 PM

Eighth Degree!!! You're really lucky. My master is fifth degree. What level are you?

Green Belt, I actually just got it before that I was Yellow with Green Stripe.
I just restarted, I couldn't take it seriously enough when I was 7.

Cookie
01-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm a pro wii sports boxer.

blackmage_nuke
01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I saw a guy stop a bullet with his fist once.

No, seriously.

I can stop a bullet with my teeth...i'd just end up dying.

Dolentrean
01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, I do martal arts, MMA. I have gotten pretty good and even took second place in ground fighting at a Las Vegas World Open. My personal style has a lot of maui tai and ju-jittsu.

Bahamut2000X
01-08-2008, 10:55 PM

For a while I trained with a 9th Dan. He was actually one of the top Tae Kwon Do people in the world, unfortunately he never taught anything that was worthwhile and wanted us to win tournaments. :mad:

Breine
01-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I like to pretend I do Martial arts, if that counts? I do all the 'HAH' and 'HOOH' :jess:

Mee too :hat: pathetic? Yes... but also fun? YES!

Aerith's Knight
01-09-2008, 04:09 PM

Mee too :hat: pathetic? Yes... but also fun? YES!

KUNG-FU FIGTING♪ nanananana nana :bounce: :smash:

Leeza
01-10-2008, 02:02 AM
I have a green belt in Wado Kai Karate but I haven't kept it up. :cat:

mooglebunni608
01-10-2008, 02:27 AM
I want to find a form of matial arts that doesn't have any of the things I consider a waste of time- repetitive exercises and katas and such. They bore me and make me want to yell at the instructors. So yeah, any suggestions would be nice <3
My brother took Go Ju Kai for a good 15 of his 19 years of life, but it had too many of the above turn offs for me to try ><

Aerith's Knight
01-10-2008, 02:30 AM
I want to find a form of matial arts that doesn't have any of the things I consider a waste of time- repetitive exercises and katas and such. They bore me and make me want to yell at the instructors. So yeah, any suggestions would be nice <3
My brother took Go Ju Kai for a good 15 of his 19 years of life, but it had too many of the above turn offs for me to try ><

Tai-kwando

or just kickboxing i suppose :)

Chimp
01-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Eh I just do whatever comes to me naturally and it seems to be enough. Just redirect their momentum back to them. And then get brutal on their joints xD

Bahamut2000X
01-10-2008, 04:20 AM

Eh you won't find any without repetitive exercises. The only way to get good at anything in martial arts is repetitive work on it. But I agree with the Kata thing. I despise kata every since Tae Kwon Do. I like my style we only have 1 kata (granted it's like 60+ steps maybe even towards the 100+ to fully master) that we learn a few steps of every belt level. It's pretty practical though too, it's not a block punch stance kata, it's basically all of American Jiujutsu summed up in a long kata, which you'll find yourselves in those positions. It helped me out when I started grappling sparring as I actually could use the kata as reference when I found myself in certain positions, so I just automatically went to do a technique.

If your around the Columbus, Ohio region I'ld say come to the dojo I train at, it's a great place to train. If not (more then likely not I'd guess) I'ld suggest maybe Muay Thai Boxing. I dunno too much off hand, but from the style it's a combat art and one that I doubt has many if any kata involved. It'd still be repetitive work I'ld imagine, but it's a very kick/boxing style from what my limited knowledge of it is.

41-Inches-Wide
01-10-2008, 09:20 AM
I have always wanted to learn some martial arts stuff but I got only this background from a vague karate dojo.

But having no martial arts background hasn't stopped me from watching MMA matches. It also helps that the Other Part Of Me practices MMA like judo, ju-jutsu and grappling. Now, if I had, like, an ounce of physical strength I would most likely be as great as Genki Sudo/Sakuraba, I'm sure! :yamete:

Goldenboko
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Tai-kwando

or just kickboxing i suppose :)

Taekwon-Doe has long patterns which need to be memorize and perfected.

Thats so ignorant. Thats like saying I want to master an instrument without practicing.

Kanshisha
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
black belt, sensei's assistant. retired now though..

Roogle
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
My favorite type of martial art is fictional. I had a bad day yesterday because I lost one of my scarves. What I would give to...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/rooremy/rose-project.gif

Kanshisha
01-10-2008, 02:31 PM
hehe, if a SF dojo was to be produced.. i'd sign up right away

The Last Oath
01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
i do wing chun, it really is an effective fighting system. It was developed by 5 chinese grandmasters because they needed a system that didnt take so long to learn and was able to defeat larger and better equipment opponents. (the rebels were trying to defeat the 10% ruling minority, the manchurians). But before they could teach it the manchu's burned the temple and only 1 survived, and its been passed down from there. I suggest anyone who wants to fight successfully try some wing chun, you'll probably like it..

Other good martial arts, MMA (muay thai bjj etc)

I wanna get into Close Quarters Combat, like chin jabs etc.. anyone know anything about it?

Old Manus
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm a master of CQC. I just use the directional buttons to sneak up on the target, then tap circle.

The Last Oath
01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
"Try to remember some of the basics of CQC"

Peegee
01-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I think I could've grabbed a black belt (in Karate) if I had more consistent training. To this day there's this one kata I'm not 100% sure of the order of movements.

So this means I have that brown belt with the black stripe through the middle, whatever that means.

However I'm a little disillusioned by it all ever since I quit (quit after moving to Windsor), since all they taught us were katas and ordered attack/defense patterns. I tell people to this very day that I can do karate.

Person: you know how to fight?
PG: I have no idea how to fight. But I can do Karate!

There's a difference and I tend to think that it's mutually exclusive.

Now, historically, this isn't the case. Karate and Kung Fu and all of that were studied to be used during wars. But the crap we can do in tournaments don't deal with that, and so it's largely useless.

Mirage
01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm a 2nd dan black belt in Miyagi-do Karate.

ReloadPsi
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I've always wanted to learn one but, seeing as how I've lived in a small village all my life, never had the chance. I don't think I'd be physically fit enough to even start one though.

Copying tokusatsu poses is always fun though ^^

Mirage
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
You don't really need to be very fit to start. As you train, you'll get the strength you need.

Heath
01-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Should a fight arise, I'll be more than happy to say "I used to do Karate, y'know" though that statement has no basis in fact. Always meant to get into some kind of martial arts because it's always useful to know really. Good to be able to defend yourself should the need arise. However, beyond a couple of lessons when I was about ten and a couple of martial arts lessons when I was on the Sutton Trust in 2006, I'm entirely unskilled in any kind of martial art.

Northcrest
01-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Well i took Karate and went 5 belt ranks up currently a blue belt
But i quit at bout around 3rd grade cause my parents couldn't pay for it anymore.

Orestes
01-12-2008, 02:45 AM
I've always wanted to do martial arts, but I never got the chance.

I have watched The Karate Kid several, several times, though.