PDA

View Full Version : Pyrrhic Victory

Mystre
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
My heart pounded and my fists were clenched as the tastes of blood from my inner lip trickled down my throat. I had just been given an hour-long lecture on how to do my job.

Now I’m very well liked here at the firm, Derrick my co-worker is a great guy although he’s just rather forgetful.

A few weeks prior I went out to lunch with a co-worker of mine (Derrick). We talked about sports, life, our goals and aspirations. He gave me a heads up that later that week he would stop by my office so that I could file a substitution of attorney for him on one of his clients.

The client called a few weeks later filling a complaint against the firm saying he cannot proceed forward in his case until we legally file the substitution. Now although there is no official statute on when to file a substitution of attorney it must be done within a reasonable amount of time. I filed it the day it was given to me but Derrick (the attorney) said he had given me it to me weeks prior. I was being reprimanded for procrastinating.

In 279 BC King Pyrrus waged war against the Roman Empire. As the battle raged on day by day the Roman army lost more and more men. Eventually the Roman army withdrew and King Pyrrus would win his battle.

The next day I spent hours going over old paper work trying to find the proof of service, instructions, something anything…eventually I found it and it was dated sweet vindication I was right.

The next day my supervisor apologized for yelling at me since this was my first offense. But I could not just let this go even though I was in no trouble. My name my reputation was tarnished and wanted to fix it.

King Pyrrus did win his war but at what cost? You see even though his men killed more Romans the Roman Empire was much larger. King Pyrrus's empire was never able to recover from the loss of men.

Every action has a reaction. A week later Derrick was given his two weeks notice and fired that was his third strike. Any doubts in my abilities were gone. But at the same time I lost a friend and a good guy lost his job and his family lost stability, congratulations to me I won, victory was mine. Thus this is my story and thus that was my Pyrrhic Victory, what's yours?<O:p<O:p

Old Manus
01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Managing to read that without tl;dring.

Fonzie
01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Writing a book are we?

Good luck with that.

scrumpleberry
01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Managing to read that without tl;dring.

I didn't.
Sorry, I guess you'll have to wait for more patient peoples D:

theundeadhero
01-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Let's call this a newbie thread and all say hello.

Hello :)

scrumpleberry
01-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Let's call this a newbie thread and all say hello.

Hello :)

Erm. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/113744-new-member-blah-blah-blah.html)

theundeadhero
01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Well now it doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure what to talk about.

Mystre
01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
...whatever happened to moderation? I cannot put into words how insulting this is. I take the time to post a personal post and try to make it creative and well thought out and this is the response I get. I was honestly quite excited thinking to myself I have finally found a new forum to be a part of...after this display of complete stupidity blatant disregard for what I thought were universal forum rules on what constitutes as spamming...

I wonder if the comment above will either get me banned or fix this thread. I should just let this go but a battle I shall pick up in my topic...whatever the result may be it will be it least a moral victory.

Fonzie
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Has to be a second account. :p

scrumpleberry
01-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry, but if you wanted your post to be taken a little more seriously you should have posted it in Eyes on Each Other. This is pretty much the spamming forum.

Old Manus
01-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I would have paid more attention if it was in Verdana default colour left aligned.

I did read it though.

Breine
01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry, but if you wanted your post to be taken a little more seriously you should have posted it in Eyes on Each Other. This is pretty much the spamming forum.

Yeah I agree. Also, although I did read your post and sympathised with your situation I had no idea what to post in this thread. I guess it wasn't clear what your thread was about..? - and thus the spamming from people.

Mystre
01-09-2008, 10:52 PM
After further reading through descriptions I can place blame on myself. Although it does show the eyes on me thread is far more strict I was looking for a complete serious discussion although in posting here I did not expect for it be replied by six responses of spam not even coming close I can understand for a section to be much more relaxed but I really found that to be just insulting. A Pyrrhic Victory is a phrase that describes a battle in which you lost more than you gained an empty or hollow victory I tried to illustrate that point with a personal story and a history lesson on how the phrase came to be now as far as the whole general point to the topic I was trying to create a topic of discussion where members share stories of personal battles in which you won but at the same time won nothing at all.

Old Manus
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Must...resist...quip...about...only 3....sentences

I guess my Pyrrhic victory was passing my English Literature GCSE. I still think it was a complete waste of my time.

Roto13
01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
There's not enough punctuation in this thread.

Madame Adequate
01-09-2008, 11:21 PM
That wasn't a Pyrrhic Victory - if it was, you would be suffering for it, not the other guy.

Mystre
01-10-2008, 12:08 AM
haha well sory if I don't bother typing a period any any other of the post for a while considering I am typing this n my blackberry I am going to let that be my excuse. Anyway it is a figure of speech and those can be interupted different ways and just to go back I don't think Pyrrus directly suffered from his army dying so i think if we take if in that regards then my use of the word is okay but well since this forum isn't take so seriously even if I might have used it wrong what's the big deal haha

The Unknown Guru
01-10-2008, 12:17 AM
The battle of Bunker Hill was a Pyrrhic victory.

Leeza
01-10-2008, 01:34 AM

We don't have a spamming forum at EoFF.

Mystre is correct. This thread does have too much spam.