PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield

Rostum
01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
More of Cloverfield. (http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/475a0f5f7f2007c8/47620930a9d00f1)

Heath
01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I saw a trailer for it before I saw a film a while ago (I forget which film, may have been Transformers) and I've been interested in seeing it ever since. I'd be hesitant to say it'll be a good film, but it's definitely something I'm curious about seeing. That video certainly leaves me all the more intrigued.

Rostum
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I just realised they have a trailer (http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com/) that shows a bit more. It does look interesting, but the camera movement will probably either make me very uncomfortable or get motion sickness, though that generally won't stop me from seeing it.

Old Manus
01-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm just going to sit back and drink Slusho until somebody confirms that the monster is Cthulhu, and only then can the film achieve victory.

Namelessfengir
01-10-2008, 11:13 PM
looks damn good id also like to see that "dragon wars"

SammieBabe
01-11-2008, 12:06 AM
It's either going to incredible or deplorable. I really wanna find out now though...

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-11-2008, 12:45 AM
really interesting stuff....kinda reminds me of 'the host'...but bigger!!

Moon Rabbits
01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
really interesting stuff....kinda reminds me of 'the host'...but bigger!!

The Host is hands down one of the best monster movies ever, hell, one of the best movies ever. I watched it in English, and thought it was really cheesy, and then in Korean and it was amazing.

I love the camera in Cloverfield, and the scene in the trailers where they are hiding in the stores and the debris is completely obscuring the outside and you can just hear footsteps. Creeeepy :skull::skull::skull::skull:, says I.

As unlikely as I think it seems, if JJ Abrams makes this a Lost spin-off though, as I've heard it may be, I will be very disappointed.

Ichimonji
01-17-2008, 06:54 AM
As unlikely as I think it seems, if JJ Abrams makes this a Lost spin-off though, as I've heard it may be, I will be very disappointed.

If he ends up connecting this movie to Lost, I will be very happy.

The Shoeless Hobo
01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Saw this movie a few hours ago. Insane! It was hectic. The movie was great. The only problems i have is that there is no explanation of the monster and it ends all of a sudden. To anyone seeing this movie in the future, in the last scene where the two people are on the ferris wheel, look into the background to see if something falls into the water...

EDIT: And when the movie ended, the audience got very angry and shouted, etc haha

Mr Cactuar
01-17-2008, 03:12 PM
I've heard that the monster looks a hell of alot like Sin.

Bunny
01-17-2008, 07:50 PM
I will probably see the movie just to prove myself correct about it.

Fonzie
01-17-2008, 08:51 PM
The over-hype for this movie better be worth the 7 dollars.

Bahamut2000X
01-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Saw it last night. I thought over all it was a pretty decent movie. I mean you go in wanting to see a monster rip apart New York City, and that's what you ultimately get. I thought the acting was great too, some of the best actors I've seen in ages, they didn't go melodramatic and hokey every 3 seconds.

The only problems I really had with the movie was that the monster never took damage despite the whole movie the military pounding away at it with the highest level of weaponry they have. The monster also seemed to get around very fast and unnoticeably, you'd think that a monster the size of a sky scraper would be a little bit easier to spot sometimes in wide open areas? And I disliked how as the movie went on it kind of got a little more and more phoney, I mean a lot of the times early on it seemed quite realistic in "Here's a monster ripping through the city" and how everyone would react, but as the movie got closer to the end it just seemed to get more and more fake at so many parts which kind of bugs me since this isn't supposed to be a 'movie' but more of a documentation of real events, just loses points in my eye when the 'real events' end up looking too much like a movie or FPS (I swear this movie has FPS material written all over it). But ultimately I could ignore all that if not just for *ending spoilers* If they effing told us at the end if we won or not. It's annoying not knowing if they killed the monster or if their last resort did squat and it survived. I can stand not knowing what the monster is and where it came from so long as if I at least know how everything ended.

All in all I'd say it is worth seeing, just go in with low expectations like I did and you shouldn't be terribly disappointed.

NeoTifa
01-18-2008, 09:04 PM
thanks. i was going to go see it with my bf in 3 hours for our 3 yr anniversary. now i guess ill just go see sweeny todd :\

El Bandito
01-18-2008, 10:12 PM
With the likes of Atonement and There Will Be Blood still in theaters, I think I'm gonna just nab this one on DVD.

Ashley Schovitz
01-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Umm this movie is probably bad in tickets. The trailer was horrible and you couldn't tell what the movie is about a terrorist attack, a bombing or something. The trailer was just pretty boring to watch and JJ Abrams made some pretty bad movies anyway.

Ouch!
01-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Umm this movie is probably bad in tickets. The trailer was horrible and you couldn't tell what the movie is about a terrorist attack, a bombing or something. The trailer was just pretty boring to watch and JJ Abrams made some pretty bad movies anyway.
Terrorists use giant monsters now?

That's it. We're fucked.

Fonzie
01-18-2008, 11:42 PM

You're so far off the main plot, that it's not funny.

Casey
01-19-2008, 12:49 AM
I hear bad things about this movie, I don't think I would want to see it after reading reviews online. Haha... (like how it ends).

Rengori
01-19-2008, 01:04 AM
I plan to see it, but I have a feeling it's going to be a retarded flurry of special effects and eyecandy rather than a good movie.

Sarc the Swordsman
01-19-2008, 01:33 AM
I saw the trailer when I went to see another movie a few weeks ago. It looks interesting, but I doubt I will go and see it unless a friend asks me to.

Bahamut2000X
01-19-2008, 02:51 AM
The trailer was horrible and you couldn't tell what the movie is about a terrorist attack, a bombing or something. The trailer was just pretty boring to watch and JJ Abrams made some pretty bad movies anyway.

During the first explosion you heard Cloverfield (the name I'm not officially dubbing the monster as every giant monster needs a name) did it's creepy roar. I thought by then it was obvious it was a monster movie. >.>

And I thought the trailer was really good and effective. Just a bunch of normal people partying, then suddenly an earthquake, look outside and see an explosion and then monster. Pretty well sums up the movie.

ljkkjlcm9
01-19-2008, 03:28 AM
just got back from the movie. It was alright... pretty much a better Blair Witch, with a giant monster instead

THE JACKEL

The Shoeless Hobo
01-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Apparently,a t the end of the credits, there is a whisper or the like whichs ays the monster survived... xD

Bahamut2000X
01-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Apparently,a t the end of the credits, there is a whisper or the like whichs ays the monster survived... xD

Yeah I dunno why they couldn't put that IN the movie as that's what I wanted to know. Seriously all that putting extra stuff after the movie is crap anymore, people just do it cause the cools kids do.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Saw it last night. I thought over all it was a pretty decent movie. I mean you go in wanting to see a monster rip apart New York City, and that's what you ultimately get. I thought the acting was great too, some of the best actors I've seen in ages, they didn't go melodramatic and hokey every 3 seconds.

The only problems I really had with the movie was that the monster never took damage despite the whole movie the military pounding away at it with the highest level of weaponry they have. The monster also seemed to get around very fast and unnoticeably, you'd think that a monster the size of a sky scraper would be a little bit easier to spot sometimes in wide open areas? And I disliked how as the movie went on it kind of got a little more and more phoney, I mean a lot of the times early on it seemed quite realistic in "Here's a monster ripping through the city" and how everyone would react, but as the movie got closer to the end it just seemed to get more and more fake at so many parts which kind of bugs me since this isn't supposed to be a 'movie' but more of a documentation of real events, just loses points in my eye when the 'real events' end up looking too much like a movie or FPS (I swear this movie has FPS material written all over it). But ultimately I could ignore all that if not just for *ending spoilers* If they effing told us at the end if we won or not. It's annoying not knowing if they killed the monster or if their last resort did squat and it survived. I can stand not knowing what the monster is and where it came from so long as if I at least know how everything ended.

All in all I'd say it is worth seeing, just go in with low expectations like I did and you shouldn't be terribly disappointed.

I'm not a big movies fan and never liked monster movies, but whatever chance of me wanting to see the movie what was pretty much eradicated by this review. Thanks (and I don't mean that sarcastically). It was a very good review which, without giving too much away, did exactly what it was supposed to do: help me decide whether or not I wanted to experience it. Ultimately I find that so rare among reviews these days - they often spoil the experience, and, while detailing the plot way too much, mostly lose the chance to actually say something solid and final as to whether it was good or not. You could be a good movie reviewer for a magazine or something, better than most out there right now IMHO.

Goldenboko
01-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I wanna watch this just so I can boo at the ending :bigsmile:

Peegee
01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Was a very good idea for a film. I had motion sickness but was still glued to my seat.

Notice at the end something falls into the ocean when they pan the coast (on the right hand side)

Bahamut2000X
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM
You could be a good movie reviewer for a magazine or something, better than most out there right now IMHO.

Yeah but I didn't make 90 parallels to Cloverfield = 9/11 cause ya know a giant monster is about the same as a terrorist, so I doubt they'd publish me. :cry:

EDIT: Though I thought I was talking too long in my mini review. XD, maybe I should just start posting random reviews for the front site. I like that idea of going professional reviewer though. If not just for the novelty of getting asked "So what do you do for a living?" "Oh I'm a professional movie reviewer." :D

Sephex
01-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I enjoyed the movie a lot. I wouldn't say it's the film of the year or whatever, but I thought the movie did what it was supposed to do. The camera work didn't bother me since I don't get motion sickness. I found it frustrating at some points, but in a good way.

Yeah, at the end there you see something fall into the right side of the screen in the ocean. I swear to god I was the only person in my theater to notice this. Since it fell from the sky, I am going to assume whatever the hell the monster was came from space, and it can grow to it's state we saw in the movie in little less than a month. Scary.

Necronopticous
01-19-2008, 11:11 PM
The first half of the film (after the attack started) was great; undoubtedly the best part. The best, most realistic, and intense scene was the bridge collapse. In my opinion the movie goes downhill a bit after they go into the subway tunnels because it becomes increasingly concerned with showing CG and effects action. At the end it just goes totally over the top.

Yeah, the monster looks cool, but do we really need it to look the cameraman in the eye for a few seconds and take a lunging bite at him? Give me a break.

Overall I had fun, I was really anticipating this but I think it was a bit soiled due to pressure on the director to really let us get good looks at the CG work, which I don't think should have priority over maintaining the edge-of-your-seat realism the film strives for.

Worth seeing for everything up to the tunnels, alone, though. The first few minutes of the attack are really intense.

Fuzakeru
01-20-2008, 02:23 AM
I loved the movie so much!

Ouch!
01-20-2008, 03:18 AM
For the most part, I agree with Necronopticous; the beginning of the movie was fantastically well done. Until the subway, the movie does a very good job of maintaining some sense of plausibility (as long as one is willing to accept the improbability of a monster attacking New York as plausible). However, in the subway scene, it abandons the realm of reality in too many ways to count, and I'm not going to bother listing them all.

Normally characters surviving in such a manner doesn't bother me. It is, after all, a movie, and if the characters die left and right like they would in real life, it doesn't make for much of a good movie. However, everything else in the movie--the way its filmed in particular--attempt to create some sort of pseudo-realism, and the direction the movie takes after the collapse of the bridge completely undermine that.

I was severely disappointed.

Seraphic
01-20-2008, 04:56 AM
For the static whisper that happens after the movie, supposedly it says its still alive, but it says it backwards, according to some people I know and wikipedia.
I work at a movie theater so I usually get to it right when its after the credits, but it doesnt sound like anything,lol.
Lots of static, maybe one word,but nothing to coherently say that the monster is still alive.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-20-2008, 10:02 AM
The trailer was just pretty boring to watch and JJ Abrams made some pretty bad movies anyway.

LOL the only other movie he made was mission impossible (the next one is star trek)! he didnt even make this one..the rest is all tv shows (lost, alias and Felicity)

Vincent, Thunder God
01-20-2008, 06:36 PM
You could be a good movie reviewer for a magazine or something, better than most out there right now IMHO.

Yeah but I didn't make 90 parallels to Cloverfield = 9/11 cause ya know a giant monster is about the same as a terrorist, so I doubt they'd publish me. :cry:

EDIT: Though I thought I was talking too long in my mini review. XD, maybe I should just start posting random reviews for the front site. I like that idea of going professional reviewer though. If not just for the novelty of getting asked "So what do you do for a living?" "Oh I'm a professional movie reviewer." :D

:bigsmile: Heh.

Ouch!
01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
The trailer was just pretty boring to watch and JJ Abrams made some pretty bad movies anyway.

LOL the only other movie he made was mission impossible (the next one is star trek)! he didnt even make this one..the rest is all tv shows (lost, alias and Felicity)
See number six. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/)
Produced it. There's also a fair bit more there than just TV shows. =D

Peegee
01-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Viral marketing tie-ins indicate that the Japanese company Rob was going to work for dropped a satellite into the ocean and were looking for it.

Also Abrams indicated the monster comes from the ocean. Anyway, the working theory is that they pissed off the monster when they were either drilling or trying to get the satellite back

McLovin'
01-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I liked it. :)

Didn't get the bits about Rob and Beth at their vacation somwhere. Think I figured it now that it was supposed show the monster thing falling.

Peegee
01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I liked it. :)

Didn't get the bits about Rob and Beth at their vacation somwhere. Think I figured it now that it was supposed show the monster thing falling.

That, and it highlighted some backstory of what led to the huge drama at the party in the beginning.

McLovin'
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Cloverfield Ending Credits - Cloverfield Spoilers, Monster (http://www.cloverfieldendingcredits.com/)

Very nice. (the info is taken from the viral websites that have been around)

Breine
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
With the likes of Atonement and There Will Be Blood still in theaters, I think I'm gonna just nab this one on DVD.

Yeah, my thoughts too. It does look quite good, though.

Ouch!
01-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Viral marketing tie-ins indicate that the Japanese company Rob was going to work for dropped a satellite into the ocean and were looking for it.

Also Abrams indicated the monster comes from the ocean. Anyway, the working theory is that they pissed off the monster when they were either drilling or trying to get the satellite back
Apparently he's also confirmed that it was a satellite that fell into the ocean, and he's made mentions of a possible Cloverfield 2. He's been quoted as saying the monster that attacked was a lost and confused baby.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
i loved this movie so much, im already saying its movie of the year, i love everything about it, the first person camera, the great acting, huge monster destroying nyc, everything!!

my favorite scene was the tunnels and the helicopter bits

definitly getting the dvd when it hits shelves

what pissed me off was the ending, i mean it needed another 10-20 minutes or show, or atleast showed, rob and beth get killed, not the ferris wheel thing (that actually made me get sad btw, anyone else get the same feeling?)

i loved the movie, 5/5

i need to get the "Roar (Cloverfield overture)" score from the movie, anyone has it yet?

MKusanagi
01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
This movie set a new bar for horror/survival/sci-fi flicks. I enjoyed it tremendously. Going to see it tomorrow for a third time. CGI was fantastic. Acting (even though they were newbies) was well done. None of that Blair Witch Project nonsense. The ending left a lot of questions much like Alfred Hitchcock, the king of suspense did in his films. It paid homage to him in this way. Epic, engaging, creepy and exciting. The camera work made it feel more real. I could hear everyone talking and yelling "Run!" or "What are they doing?!" I think I even heard a few "Holy :skull::skull::skull::skull:!" exclamations. Well done movie. Brought the monster movie genre back to screaming and stomping life.
EDIT: I disagree with those who say it went down hill after Brooklyn Bridge. It was just as amazing. Cool stuff. Very well done. My favorite scene involved when the head of Lady Liberty went flying through the air. It was haunting. To see that beacon of freedom just ruined. Reminds me of the train scene in War of the Worlds (remake) when the burning train goes flying by. Just very haunting and takes the breath away. Another scene that made a wonderful add to the creepy factor was Marlena's death. It was just a glimpse through a plastic cover of her seeming to split apart and then wham she's gone. I loved this movie because it doesn't have the typical horror techniques of today. It let's tension and suspense build and that tends to make people scared. I'd always been slightly disappointed by this genre of movie in the past. All of that changed with Cloverfield. Now I'm as pleased as little girl with her favorite flavor of icecream.

Necronopticous
01-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Acting (even though they were newbies) was well done. None of that Blair Witch Project nonsense.Cloverfield's got nothing on the Blair Witch Project, acting or otherwise.

MKusanagi
01-23-2008, 09:50 PM
No, actually, it does. It has better acting, more explosions, more craziness and lot more coolness. Sorry, you lost. Now, go create a Blair Witch Project thread and cry about it there.

Monol
01-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Shaky camera films:

Blair witch project: Good horror movie, will be remembered surley
folks: 3

Cloverfield: Awsome pg-13 film, also be remembered
folks: many many lots

Both = Good movies
Comparison: Blair witch project compared to cloverfield = dead rat to a tyranosauraus

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-24-2008, 12:14 AM
i wouldnt even consider this movie as a horror movie, its more of a thriller :p

Heath
02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I rather enjoyed it. Saw it today though unfortunately as one of our party had to rush to get a train in order to get to work in time, we weren't able to stay for the end credits. I think the people in the cinema were rather impressed by it. Certainly enough for most of them to be sat there at the end of the film as opposed to leaving straight away.

It was better than I expected though I felt it was a tad predictable at times. I think it would've been nicer if it'd been a bit longer because I don't think it even reached the 90 minute mark which is a bit disappointed. Though for my £5 I can't complain.

Spawn of Sephiroth
02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
I thought it was gonna be a good movie. It was fairly descent. I just wish maybe we were given more detail about the "aliens".

LunarWeaver
02-07-2008, 01:55 AM
I enjoyed the movie a lot. I wouldn't say it's the film of the year or whatever, but I thought the movie did what it was supposed to do. The camera work didn't bother me since I don't get motion sickness. I found it frustrating at some points, but in a good way.

I pretty much agree with this. I thought it was really good and came through with its concept. The situations they were put in were consistently interesting to me.

I, myself, was severely glad there was no explanation. You really don't need one. To have some scientist, one of the top geniuses in America, one that knows all the insider information, randomly show up and give a huge exposition speech would have been entirely retarded.

But I wasn't bothered when War of the Worlds stricty followed Ray's point of view either, and that seemed to piss other people off too.

Roogle
02-07-2008, 02:32 AM
No, actually, it does. It has better acting, more explosions, more craziness and lot more coolness. Sorry, you lost. Now, go create a Blair Witch Project thread and cry about it there.

You must not speak like that other members.

Anyway, I disliked the conceptual style of Cloverfield and its camera work, so I read about the story on Wikipedia and it sounds like it would have been an alright watch. The description of Marlena's death really bothers me, so I wonder if I would have taken it well in theater.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-07-2008, 02:47 AM
It was a decent movie. I thought it was going to be more scary than it was, but it was merely suspenseful. I would agree that it is not like an amazing film that should get an Oscar or anything like that, but it was good in its own right. I like how it would flicker from the actual attack to the date.

I was kinda hoping there was going to be more at the end. It is implied that the USA survives since at the beginning it says it is in the military archive of some sort (I cannot remember). I just wanted a little something at the end just to know what the hell those things were. Lab experiment gone wrong or aliens?

Me and my friends were talking about what kind of bomb they dropped at the end. I was thinking A-Bomb but then wouldn't the SD card be wiped from the radiation? If not, then they must have used one hell of a bomb on NYC/Manhattan Island. Then again, I sometimes get caught up on the small details. x-x;

Vermachtnis
02-07-2008, 04:34 AM
I saw it last Saturday, just this moment saw the topic. I got it a little bit sick watching it though. And when that one chicked popped or whatever happened to her I was about to throw up. That was one of the ugliest monster ever. I loved the spawns though. Those things were awesome!

sreeja
02-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I saw its trailer.It is a nice movie .I like it.:):)

Rocket Edge
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
This movie was just incredable.

Croyles
02-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I loved this movie! I really did!

Loony BoB
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I found this movie really, really good - it did exactly what it set out to do and for once in my life, I enjoyed something labelled as a 'horror'. Although to be honest, I would have called it a sci-fi movie or an action flick if anything.

The part that bugged me is how they went up that building and got her. Because that was the point for me when it became entirely unrealistic. Now, I can understand going back for her and all that. I can understand him doing whatever he felt he could. I think the monster was very realistic, too, because if it was there I can imagine that's how it would have been.

What I can't really get is the fact that a guy who hadn't heard from this girl for such a long time actually believed that he could go up one building, walk into another building which was tilting and likely going to crumble, totally get in, pull her off a spike, take her all the way down and have her running from the monster soon after. I mean, I can actually sort of see how they could get her off the spike, maybe. But honestly? I don't think anyone would have done that. They would have instead just said "No man, it's no use." and dragged him away kicking and screaming for his lovergirl. Or perhaps him saying "Oh, crap." Maybe she even phones one more time and he says he's sorry but he can't do it. And then maybe he dies, mabye he doesn't, but he doesn't go up the damned building and cross over into the other one. I think if Abrams really, really wanted to make an impact with the film, he would show the massive selfishness of humanity. To watch a guy who was going to be a hero turn around and say "I can't do this. I don't want to die trying to save her." ...that would have been epic.

Roogle
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I agree. Your alternative plot points sound more interesting and thought-provoking than the actual plot itself. I think that the target demographic of the movie would be disinterested in a realistic portrayal like that, though — people watch movies for a reason.

Heath
02-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I agree. Your alternative plot points sound more interesting and thought-provoking than the actual plot itself. I think that the target demographic of the movie would be disinterested in a realistic portrayal like that, though — people watch movies for a reason.

I agree entirely. It certainly would've been an interesting path for the film to take but I don't think that by and large people would've liked that. However, BoB, I suppose the fact that Rob went to such lengths to find the girl (a quest I actually thought would end with him finding her dead body) shows another side of human behaviour about how people will become obsessed with finding someone they care about. The reality of the situation goes completely out the window because other things decline in relative importance. And I think that after their relationship developed to an all new level in the month preceding the incident itself, it was important to Rob not to leave a loose end and that - despite having not acted terribly well towards her - he did, ultimately care. An ridiculously unselfish gesture to 'save' her certainly but one that illustrated an important point.

Croyles
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
I dont think that part was that unrealistic. People can easily decide to go to great lengths to save someone in a crisis just as people can also go to great lengths to save their own skin and leave someone else behind. We saw both sides in the film. You could tell Rob had an obsession, as Heath pointed out, which is understandable what with all the adrenaline and whatnot pumping into him. The other people, even though they are good friends with the girl, prematurely decide that she is a lost cause and would rather get the hell out. Reality is not all dog-eat-dog imo.

Madame Adequate
02-13-2008, 05:49 PM
I didn't mind Rob doing what he did. But I did mind it when the others tagged along. Hud, I could maybe see doing it. The two woman, I could not. Especially Merlena.

As for Rob himself, well, I'd do the same for Rye or Auntie Pike without any hesitation. Or at least I'd try. I might die in the attempt, but I'd try.