PDA

View Full Version : Nascar is the single most boring thing in the history of the universe.

Goldenboko
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Even more then golf.

Seriously, I mean, Nascar they drive as fast as possible while either going forward, or slowly, turning, LEFT!
OMG NO WAY!
Don't even get me started on how it lasts like... 52 laps.

:(

What do you think is the most boring sport ever?

Tallulah
01-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Formula One can be pretty crap, followed by cricket. I'm still not sure how the scoring system works.

Also, snooker, particularly safety games. :eep:

SammieBabe
01-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I thouroughly enjoy NASCAR and am really excited for the upcoming season. Even have plans to go to a race. But to each his own.:)

Baseball bores me to the point of wanting to kill small furry things...

Serapy
01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Golf, maybe until I become older :p

Kirobaito
01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
To me, I would say NASCAR. I sometimes enjoy watching golf, and the one time I've watched cricket I actually enjoyed it (I had gone without baseball for two weeks and needed something to tide me over).

Rostum
01-11-2008, 12:18 AM
I usually hate watching most sports, which is why Sunday TV sucks... All sports (mostly car racing), on all channels.

However, the cricket is pretty good to go to with some friends. So long as you like a few good beers and just chilling out (only live 5 minutes from the MCG :D) -- and it can sometimes be interesting to check up on scores and watch bits and pieces.

Cookie
01-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Darts.

NeoCracker
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
People watch Nascar to see things crash.

Golf doesn't even have that.

Tavrobel
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Sports is all about watching with other people.

But to watch cars drive around expecting a crash is not productive time-management. I see more crashes and people going faster on the highway. PLUS there's police when it is involved. So, therefore, normal driving is superior to professional driving. Think of the heavy fireproof suits those guys have to wear. Less-than-par water consumption, much?

Orestes
01-11-2008, 12:35 AM
NASCAR is pretty bad, but what I don't understand is how people enjoy watching poker on television...

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I think the two are about the same level in terms of being incredibly boring.

Captain Maxx Power
01-11-2008, 12:39 AM
The one involving balls.

Goldenboko
01-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Golf doesn't even have that.

Nascar you sit and wait for a crash that never happens xD

Darts.

Darts is a professional sport? xD

Roto13
01-11-2008, 12:51 AM
There are assloads of boring sports. Golf, darts, any kind of auto racing that doesn't involve icy spots or spikes or anything, blah blah blah.

Poker is NOT a sport, despite what sports networks would have you believe. TSN shows spelling bees every now and then. That doesn't mean spelling is a sport.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-11-2008, 01:03 AM
My grandma is hardcore into NASCAR. Seriously, like do not call her Sundays during the races.

Personally, I find most sports boring. Do not mind occasionally watching the races with my grandma and stuff but I was never a big fan. Baseball and football suck and golf looks boring as hell.

rubah
01-11-2008, 01:50 AM
stock car racing became significantly cooler ever since talledega nights came out.

the sport that is most boring to watch is probably the one you aren't playing. tennis maybe.

Momiji
01-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Almost all sports bore me to death. I may, however, watch the occasional basketball or football (American football; soccer bores me to death as well) game once in a while.

fire_of_avalon
01-11-2008, 01:54 AM
I thouroughly enjoy NASCAR and am really excited for the upcoming season. Even have plans to go to a race. But to each his own.:)

Sexy. Where are you going?

No I don't.

Nascar you sit and wait for a crash that never happens xD

No I don't.

I used to think basketball was boring, but I've gotten into it. I can't think of a sport I wouldn't watch live, but I don't like to watch most on TV.

Those of you talking about auto racing - do you even watch it?

Roto13
01-11-2008, 01:57 AM
I HAVE watched it. Obviously I don't repeatedly watch things that bore me. I'm not insane.

Tavrobel
01-11-2008, 03:08 AM
the sport that is most boring to watch is probably the one you aren't playing. tennis maybe.

IMO Baseball suffers the worst in this regard. It is quite possibly one of the more boring sports to watch, but it's way cooler and fun to play.

So, FoA, is there something in NASCAR that you see that we don't? Because I have seen several races before, and I was at best annoyed. I particularly disliked seeing Earndhart crash and die those years back, and frankly, such a dangerous "sport" shouldn't be allowed or endorsed, especially when there are better alternatives (such as driving on Black Friday to the mall, now THAT is fun). I would much rather see Tom Brady break his neck than see someone impaled by large scraps of metal and set aflame.

Poker is a sport? This must be an ESPN thing.

Dolentrean
01-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Oh my god they went in a circle!

OH MY GOD!!! they went in another circle!

Its almost like "Oh my god its a giant rock! its a rock... and its giant!"

NeoCracker
01-11-2008, 03:14 AM
I HAVE watched it. Obviously I don't repeatedly watch things that bore me. I'm not insane.

Well you are, just in an entirely different way. :P

And of course you watch Nascar for crashes. No need to hide the truth.

And Boko, I've seen a few crashes in racing. So they do happen. (Mind you I still don't like it)

I've not once seen a physical injury in Golf.

Unless it's in a movie.

rubah
01-11-2008, 04:00 AM

IMO Baseball suffers the worst in this regard. It is quite possibly one of the more boring sports to watch, but it's way cooler and fun to play.

if i didn't know how to play baseball, I'd probably rank it below tennis. I like to watch the little kids at ball parks play and think back to when it was me out there xD

escobert
01-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Pretty much every sport except football bores me :p basketball and hockey not so much.

Kirobaito
01-11-2008, 05:30 AM
With regard to baseball, even as an enormous baseball fan, I understand why people say that it's boring to watch (and at times, I tend to agree with them). The trick with baseball is the grind with it - if you really get into a team, and watch them day in and day out, and follow their minor league system, baseball is (to me) the best pure sport experience there is. It requires a certain level of commitment in order to make it pay off. I'm a Rangers fan, and every morning in my inbox get boxscores from Surprise, Arizona; Spokane, Washington; Clinton, Iowa; Bakersfield, California; Frisco, Texas; and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, covering all levels of the Rangers' minor-league system. Over the course of the summer, you really feel like you are a part of the team as they go around the country in a 162-game schedule (plus hundreds more from the minor leagues). Just tuning in and watching a game really isn't that breathtaking.

It's possible that it is the same way with NASCAR, but I doubt it, because there is no kind of grind with it. Races are once a week, twice if you include a Busch series race.

fire_of_avalon
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
So, FoA, is there something in NASCAR that you see that we don't? Because I have seen several races before, and I was at best annoyed. I particularly disliked seeing Earndhart crash and die those years back, and frankly, such a dangerous "sport" shouldn't be allowed or endorsed, especially when there are better alternatives (such as driving on Black Friday to the mall, now THAT is fun). I would much rather see Tom Brady break his neck than see someone impaled by large scraps of metal and set aflame.

Well I obviously do, or else I wouldn't like it or you guys would. I don't watch it to see who wins and I definitely don't watch it for the wrecks. The wrecks are pretty terrifying and I usually leave the room when one happens. I watch it for the skill it takes to operate a vehicle at those speeds, for the technical knowledge of the crew and for the whole system working together in unison. When you imagine how many people it takes to keep those guys safe and get them to where they need to be and realize that they're all working together, I think it's pretty awesome. All I meant by my "No I don't" reply is that you shouldn't lump everyone together like that. People have different reasons for doing what they do.

I also wonder a lot about people who diss NASCAR because a lot of them are Indy fans or drag fans. Do any of you guys who don't like NASCAR like Indy or any kind of drag racing? Or horse racing? Just curious.

I love baseball, but definitely not on TV. I can only watch the World Series or Atlanta and BoSox games on TV, but I will pretty much go to any baseball game imaginable.

EDIT: I'd also rather see Brady break his neck than watch a NASCAR accident. Because I hate Tom Brady. Go Greenbay!

Old Manus
01-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Left, left a bit...left, left, left a bit more, left...

The most boring sport to watch is fishing.

Vivisteiner
01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Cricket is awesome.

Id probably have to go for Gold. Cant think of anything else more boring atm. Although most racing stuff is boring and rugby is quite boring.

Mirage
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I watch martial arts competitions. Everything else sucks.

Kirobaito
01-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Well I obviously do, or else I wouldn't like it or you guys would. I don't watch it to see who wins and I definitely don't watch it for the wrecks. The wrecks are pretty terrifying and I usually leave the room when one happens. I watch it for the skill it takes to operate a vehicle at those speeds, for the technical knowledge of the crew and for the whole system working together in unison. When you imagine how many people it takes to keep those guys safe and get them to where they need to be and realize that they're all working together, I think it's pretty awesome. All I meant by my "No I don't" reply is that you shouldn't lump everyone together like that. People have different reasons for doing what they do.

I also wonder a lot about people who diss NASCAR because a lot of them are Indy fans or drag fans. Do any of you guys who don't like NASCAR like Indy or any kind of drag racing? Or horse racing? Just curious.

I love baseball, but definitely not on TV. I can only watch the World Series or Atlanta and BoSox games on TV, but I will pretty much go to any baseball game imaginable.

EDIT: I'd also rather see Brady break his neck than watch a NASCAR accident. Because I hate Tom Brady. Go Greenbay!
I watch horse-racing! But those races don't tend to last three hours.

Vivisteiner
01-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh wait, screw golf, horse racing is far worse.

Burtsplurt
01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm trying to think of something more boring than NASCAR, but I'm struggling. I'd rather watch baseball (I don't know the rules and it is... slow), American football (I don't know the rules and it stops every 3 seconds), golf (yawn)... and that's saying something.

I mean, if you like NASCAR, then why not watch F1 instead? There's a lot more variation. Sometimes they go right as well as left. That's cool.

Roto13
01-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Maybe it'd be more interesting if half the cars were going in the opposite direction.

Burtsplurt
01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I used to do that on a NASCAR game I had. I think if you don't, you're probably in danger of repititive strain injury... and a possible coma brought on by extreme boredom.

Lynx
01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
i love nascar its my favorite sport actually.

i hate watching golf. ill play it but i cant watch it. i cant watch baseball either unless im at the stadium.

Yamaneko
01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Most sports to most people are boring because they only have time to show interest in a few or just one of them. They rationalize this by saying all other sports they don't watch are boring. Of course NASCAR and golf pretty much stretch the point at which this rationalization holds true. They're pretty boring regardless.

Madame Adequate
01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
NASCAR beats most other sports. Soccer, basketball, baseball, cricket, tennis, golf, most sports are boring to watch. NASCAR is still fairly boring but less so than these others.

The only sports I can actually sit and watch and enjoy are football and ice hockey.

fire_of_avalon
01-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm trying to think of something more boring than NASCAR, but I'm struggling. I'd rather watch baseball (I don't know the rules and it is... slow), American football (I don't know the rules and it stops every 3 seconds), golf (yawn)... and that's saying something.

I mean, if you like NASCAR, then why not watch F1 instead? There's a lot more variation. Sometimes they go right as well as left. That's cool.

They do that in NASCAR too. On road courses. :D

Yar
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
[American] Football. Play, stop, play, stop, play, stop, play, stop! How boring. :eep:

LunarWeaver
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
All sports bore me to death. And I was dragged to many as a child where they tried to get my interested because if you don't play a sport as a kid your life is meaningless.

Nascar would definitely be near the bottom of my list. A lot of that has to do with living in Indiana. It's just fucking everywhere here. People act like Jesus himself came down and threatened to smack them if they don't love watching cars go in a circle.

Quindiana Jones
01-12-2008, 01:11 PM
wer ahm frum, we lieke Naaascaaar. (That's my attempt at writing out South American yokel talk).

SammieBabe
01-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I have hotel reservations for July 4th weekend in Daytona. Pepsi 400 here I come! Wanna come?!

I watch it for the skill it takes to operate a vehicle at those speeds, for the technical knowledge of the crew and for the whole system working together in unison. When you imagine how many people it takes to keep those guys safe and get them to where they need to be and realize that they're all working together, I think it's pretty awesome.
My reasoning as well. And to hope that Jeff Gordon hits a wall or something. :D

I mean, if you like NASCAR, then why not watch F1 instead?
Because its near impossible to find a race on TV. And now Indy and F1 drivers are coming over to NASCAR. And, NASCAR does have road courses as FOA said. And NASCAR goes alot faster.

wer ahm frum, we lieke Naaascaaar. (That's my attempt at writing out South American yokel talk).

*gives Quin a wet willie*

Madame Adequate
01-12-2008, 03:41 PM
I mean, if you like NASCAR, then why not watch F1 instead?

If you like F1, why not watch NASCAR instead? :p

Momiji
01-12-2008, 03:45 PM
I have hotel reservations for July 4th weekend in Daytona. Pepsi 400 here I come! Wanna come?!

I would! I mean, I wouldn't be as excited for the race as you, but I LOVE Daytona. I've been on vacation there about 7 times now. :p

Burtsplurt
01-12-2008, 08:11 PM

I was making the point that they're similar but F1 has more variation, therefore it would probably be more interesting to the average viewer... as you well know. ;)

I think they go at similar speeds.

The Unknown Guru
01-13-2008, 02:53 AM
NASCAR is awesome if you watch them race at Bristol in Kentucky. I seriously saw this appear on the screen:

Cars that have not been in a crash:

And baseball bores me out of my wits. If a game is important, I'll just watch the highlights.

Madame Adequate
01-13-2008, 03:31 AM

I was making the point that they're similar but F1 has more variation, therefore it would probably be more interesting to the average viewer... as you well know. ;)

Oh yes, I know that. But if you want variation, then why not just watch cop chases? xD

I Took the Red Pill
01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I can't think of a single sport that, given the choice between it and NASCAR, I would choose NASCAR.

Pete for President
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Curling. Hah.

rubah
01-13-2008, 09:23 PM

Oh yes, I know that. But if you want variation, then why not just watch cop chases? xD

There's not that much variation on COPS. 'we got a suspect.' '10-4' 'aite we got him' 'okay' 'oh no he's getting away!' 'whut' 'k we got him again' 'okay' 'he's on drugs' 'alright' 'we're hauling him in' (to suspect) 'Do you know what you did?' 'no no no I don't' 'I bet *punches*'

Brought to you by the men and women of law enforcement!

Goldenboko
01-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Curling. Hah.

I have to disagree. I find watching the people yell when their suppose to be slowing it down quite entertaining. :p

The Unknown Guru
01-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Curling. Hah.

What are you, nuts!? Curling rules!

Roto13
01-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Hurry! Hurry! Hurry hard!

Momiji
01-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Nascar would definitely be near the bottom of my list. A lot of that has to do with living in Indiana. It's just smurfing everywhere here. People act like Jesus himself came down and threatened to smack them if they don't love watching cars go in a circle.

I can second that, being another Indiana resident.

rikkugurl13
01-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Dale Earnhardt JR.!!!!!!!!WoooooHOOOOOO!!!
Sorry...I don't really like Nascar but I like the crashes :D
Which means.....YEP I WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!:love: