PDA

View Full Version : uea file extension?

Udon
01-11-2008, 05:31 AM
i have a file here with extension of uea and i can't open it. maybe its encoded or something.. is there a program that checks which extension this file is?

o_O
01-11-2008, 06:14 AM
A bit of Googling (quite a bit, actually) tells me that it's a File Safe encrypted archive created by Protector Suite QL. It seems to simply be an encrypted folder that is only accessible by fingerprint verification (or a backup password created at the same time as the archive).

There is a whole lot of information about it in <a href="http://www.upek.com/pdf/PSQL5.6-UsersGuide-English.pdf">this PDF</a>.

If you don't have the right fingerprint or password then you should probably hope that this isn't a File Safe archive, because I doubt you'll be getting the files out (without some serious and probably costly tech support from them). :p

crono_logical
01-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Other questions you could ask is where did you get the file from :p It might be some ranom extension used by some other generic program that's even more obscure to find on google, or specific for some game :p

My first choice for file types I don't recognise is open the thing in notepad/wordpad or frhed/other hexeditor of your choice to see if you can glean any useful info from there, since a lot of usable file types will be obvious from the first line or few characters or so :p

Roto13
01-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Well what is the file SUPPOSED to be? xD

Mirage
01-12-2008, 11:18 AM
You could also try to bruteforce the encryption. Depending on the type of encryption, and your luck, this could take anywhere from hours to years.

Udon
01-13-2008, 10:50 AM
i think this is a folder encrypted. i dunno if they tried to zip it before encrypting. but i think this is folder. problem is folders doesn't have extensions.

crono_logical
01-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Folders can have extensions, just the extension doesn't affect it's functionality :p Unless it's a pseudo-folder thing like zip folders in Windows, they're actually files but software presents it to you like a folder in Explorer :p