PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About the Nintendo DS

Larahl
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
At last I got one today.
But I'm a total idiot, and I turned-on the DS before charging it.
Would it ruin by anyway my DS, or it doesn't really matter?

And a Wi-Fi question:
How does it work really?
I'm thinking about to go buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, but I really have no idea how it works.

So a good explanation about it will be very nice.
Thank you. :)

XxSephirothxX
01-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't think you need to worry. Maybe you could damage the memory on the battery that way, but I kinda doubt it. Just give it a full charge now and then have at it.

For wi-fi, do you have a wireless router? It's a more multipurpose solution than buying that little dongle. I certainly wouldn't pay money for one.

aquatius
01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
The USB dongle has horrible bugs and problems, so much that it's probably now even worth it.

Roto13
01-11-2008, 05:33 PM
At last I got one today.

And a Wi-Fi question:
How does it work really?
I'm thinking about to go buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, but I really have no idea how it works.

So a good explanation about it will be very nice.
Thank you. :)
Your DS should be fine. As far as I know, turning on the DS before charging it doesn't do anything any different from turning it on with a low battery.

The Wi-Fi works... well, what do you mean exactly? How do you play online? What do you need to do it? Friend codes? Blah-de-blah?

The USB dongle has horrible bugs and problems, so much that it's probably now even worth it.
You're just saying that because YOU personally can't get it to work. :P

Bolivar
01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
yeah i think you might be alright, if not, nintendo is really good with warantees, they repaired mine even though mine had expired and the damage was kind of my fault (they said it was a one-time exception though).

As far as wi-fi, it only operates inside a game/application. so when you need to use it, make sure you're at a hotspot, or like azar said, a wireless router is a great thing, especially if you have multiple computers.

The DS is a great system with by now a solid library of games. the ability for developers to create games that they otherwise couldn't with the traditional NES-derived handhelds + consoles is a good and refreshing move for the industry.

JKTrix
01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Nintendo has discontinued the USB Wi-Fi Connector (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wii-DS-Wi-Fi-USB-Connector-Discontinued-71234.shtml), so definitely look into a wireless router if possible. The people I know who did get one had some issues setting it up, but when they did it worked ok. They did mention that it gets hot, though.

Separately, there's a 'Datel WiFi Max (http://gear.ign.com/articles/704/704528p1.html)' that apparently works in a similar manner.

The way they work is that they plug into a computer that is connected to the internet, then broadcast a wifi signal for the DS to pick up. Much more convenient then a wireless router if you move around a lot, though I think a router would be more effective overall.

I'm not 100% on this one, but I heard the Wii (connected via ethernet) can be used as a WiFi access point for the DS if a WiFi network doesn't exist. I'm unable to find any confirmation of that, so don't invest too much thought into it. Particularly if you don't have a Wii :p

I think the DSes come with a decent charge when you get it. I highly doubt you have done any damage to the system whatsoever.

Roto13
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
When I first got my DS Phat I played it right out of the box until the power ran out and it was fine. I don't remember doing that with either of my DS Lites, though. (The R button broke on my first Lite and I had to return it.)

Momiji
01-12-2008, 01:00 AM
I played both my DS original and DS lite straight out of the box until the death of the battery, and both are still going strong. I don't think you'll have a problem.

And yes, the Wi-Fi DOES work. It's pretty nifty, I must say. Although, I'd strongly recommend you forgo the USB gadget and get a wireless router. It's much more reliable.

Larahl
01-12-2008, 11:48 AM
For wi-fi, do you have a wireless router? It's a more multipurpose solution than buying that little dongle. I certainly wouldn't pay money for one.
Unfortunately I don't have one.
With only a Wireless Router I would be able to make the Wi-Fi work without the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector?

The Wi-Fi works... well, what do you mean exactly? How do you play online? What do you need to do it? Friend codes? Blah-de-blah
Yeah, I want to know how do I play on-line.
And can I only play only with people I have their Friend Codes?

Nintendo has discontinued the USB Wi-Fi Connector (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Wii-DS-Wi-Fi-USB-Connector-Discontinued-71234.shtml), so definitely look into a wireless router if possible.

I played both my DS original and DS lite straight out of the box until the death of the battery, and both are still going strong. I don't think you'll have a problem.

And yes, the Wi-Fi DOES work. It's pretty nifty, I must say. Although, I'd strongly recommend you forgo the USB gadget and get a wireless router. It's much more reliable.
Well, I see now I have no other choice.
I go look out for a Wireless Router on Sunday.

And thanks for the help everyone. :)
I was really worried I ruined the battery for playing it before charging it.

Roto13
01-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Most games you can play online with strangers, but some (like Animal Crossing and I think Pokemon) require friend codes.

Comet
01-12-2008, 07:44 PM
IF YOU TURN ON THE DS BEFORE CHARGING IT IT WILL BREAK! BZZBZZ

Yar
01-14-2008, 04:31 AM
At last I got one today.

You actually did the DS more help than harm. It is better to charge the battery when it is dead, than to charge it with 8 hours of life in it.